.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Results 151 to 171 of 171

Thread: Hornets deny report of new name for club

  1. #151
    Ahahah that gif is great. Yea, no chance we get jazz back.
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 12-07-2012 at 04:47 PM.

  2. #152
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,399
    Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    Huh?
    42, you might wanna clear this up. You guys at 24/7 said Brass was free.

    Regardless, the pennies you save from not having to pay for a name pales in comparison to the possible revenue from merchandise sales.

    Also, as stated, they've already secured 5 names which were not announced and they haven't "registered" anything yet. So, this "it's too late to go a different route" talk is rubbish because they haven't started anything.

  3. #153
    Can i just reiterate a point that was made... Merchandise sales not ticket sales is the #1 source of revenue! So yes the name and the brand do matter especially considering the hornets latge following outside of new orleans

  4. #154
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Merchandise: It's my understanding that the NBA shares all merchandise sales equally. So, the Bobcats benefit from each Jason Smith jersey sold as much as the Hornets. This is also why they all vote on changes . . . it affects all their pocketbooks. Let me know if I'm wrong here.

    Brass: What was said was "Brass: This LLC is inactive. It’s out there for the taking. It remains popular, especially in the Jazz camp of rebrandistas. It’s got cultural relevance and recalls the city’s ECHL team that were effectively displaced by the arrival of the Hornets." Brass is freer than Voodoo, which was an option. The fact that TM exists and is clearly not being actively used means it's available if not monetarily free (no brand is, as ones that don't exist cost money to create. Still think there needs to be an update?

    As far as not registering goes, just because these have not been live or are otherwise in work does not mean that this is not ongoing. Do not confuse the two. I plan on writing something about this for Sunday.
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  5. #155
    Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlaw View Post
    Yes the name selected is the Pelicans but the backlash has been quite unexpected. Benson is using Fox 8 to pump the Pelican name to offset the negative public/media criticisms.
    Like clockwork: http://www.fox8live.com/story/202923...leans-pelicans

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkaholic View Post
    basically echoed the deadspin article from like 2 days ago... w/o the profanity
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

  7. #157
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Yes, and Benson doesn't control them.

    The PR will handle itself. People will relax on Pelicans, I'm thinking. A good logo, colors, and entire package will help things once they commit.

  8. #158
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,399
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Merchandise: It's my understanding that the NBA shares all merchandise sales equally. So, the Bobcats benefit from each Jason Smith jersey sold as much as the Hornets. This is also why they all vote on changes . . . it affects all their pocketbooks. Let me know if I'm wrong here.

    Brass: What was said was "Brass: This LLC is inactive. It’s out there for the taking. It remains popular, especially in the Jazz camp of rebrandistas. It’s got cultural relevance and recalls the city’s ECHL team that were effectively displaced by the arrival of the Hornets." Brass is freer than Voodoo, which was an option. The fact that TM exists and is clearly not being actively used means it's available if not monetarily free (no brand is, as ones that don't exist cost money to create. Still think there needs to be an update?

    As far as not registering goes, just because these have not been live or are otherwise in work does not mean that this is not ongoing. Do not confuse the two. I plan on writing something about this for Sunday.
    Yeah the Brass explanation is not very clear, if not a bit misleading. We don't know if it's "out there for the taking" if it's still owned by someone and the asking price is not known. Any ideas what that price might be? I took that bit of writing to mean it's out there literally for free, as if it had been relinquished or expired, or some escheatment of some sort..

    If the price is not outrageous (if offered at all), I'm pretty certain a cost/benefit analysis would prove a highly positive NPV, more than Pelicans since more people seem to be on board with that name at this moment.

  9. #159

    Hornets deny report of new name for club

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Yeah the Brass explanation is not very clear, if not a bit misleading. We don't know if it's "out there for the taking" if it's still owned by someone and the asking price is not known. Any ideas what that price might be? I took that bit of writing to mean it's out there literally for free, as if it had been relinquished or expired, or some escheatment of some sort..

    If the price is not outrageous (if offered at all), I'm pretty certain a cost/benefit analysis would prove a highly positive NPV, more than Pelicans since more people seem to be on board with that name at this moment.
    I agree. The profitability index would definitely be Higher for brass/Krewe than it would be for pelicans.

    #QUAILS MOM

  10. #160
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,528
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    I agree. The profitability index would definitely be Higher for brass/Krewe than it would be for pelicans.
    How can you say that when the team hasn't made any concepts available? It's an assumption on your part. Pelicans isn't my first choice either but I'm not all doom and gloom like a lot of you here. And, I don't think the backlash is as bad as this board makes it out to be. If the backlash is just as strong after a month or two I'm sure they will seriously reconsider. Keep in mind in business for every one person willing to say something good, there is 8 willing to complain. As a society, people are much more likely to complain than give compliments.

  11. #161
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Yeah the Brass explanation is not very clear, if not a bit misleading. We don't know if it's "out there for the taking" if it's still owned by someone and the asking price is not known. Any ideas what that price might be? I took that bit of writing to mean it's out there literally for free, as if it had been relinquished or expired, or some escheatment of some sort..

    If the price is not outrageous (if offered at all), I'm pretty certain a cost/benefit analysis would prove a highly positive NPV, more than Pelicans since more people seem to be on board with that name at this moment.
    I think hope is interfering with your reading. And unused but created brand is clearly the easiest thing to slide into place. One that has to be created takes a while. If it's being used, the price will be high since part of the value is the money it is making (or could make) for the owner.

    Pelican is more well-received than some people who don't like it are admitting.

  12. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    How can you say that when the team hasn't made any concepts available? It's an assumption on your part. Pelicans isn't my first choice either but I'm not all doom and gloom like a lot of you here. And, I don't think the backlash is as bad as this board makes it out to be. If the backlash is just as strong after a month or two I'm sure they will seriously reconsider. Keep in mind in business for every one person willing to say something good, there is 8 willing to complain. As a society, people are much more likely to complain than give compliments.
    i guarantee you in terms of merchandise sale, that brass would sell more items than pelicans would in this state, the country, and internationally; i'm basing this on common sense.. i wont let up on hating this name because its not in my nature to diverge form my original choice and no logo/concept will change my mind either... the national hatred for the name is still there and isn't changing anytime soon in my eyes... Yes that was an assumption, and yes i will still be a fan of the team no matter what the name is, but that doesn't mean i cant hate hate the name of the team i'm cheering for

  13. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Since when do you care about the majority? You thought Anthony Davis was the 7th best prospect in the draft and said, repeatedly, that you didn't care what everyone else thought.An opinion on a name is entirely subjective.

    Virtually everyone I've seen that's complained about the name saw some of the fake mockups out there and started liking it once they saw those.

    Opinions change.
    My evaluation of a player only represents me. The name of this team represents the region.

  14. #164
    RIP HunnyB iNolaNightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bestbank
    Posts
    2,000
    Any word on the 2 year waiting process?
    "It’s important to us to bring in good people, people who can fit in the locker room and people you want to root and cheer for. People that want to win. We’re trying to build for the long haul.” -Dell Demps

  15. #165
    IM WINNING B504ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Metairie
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Any word on the 2 year waiting process?
    Stern owes Benson big time, So 2 year waiting process does not apply. Rebrand would happen next year if team wants.

  16. #166
    RIP HunnyB iNolaNightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bestbank
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by B504ever View Post
    Stern owes Benson big time, So 2 year waiting process does not apply. Rebrand would happen next year if team wants.
    Truth or assumption?

  17. #167
    The Franchise Make It Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Metairie
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Truth or assumption?
    It's been understood that if Benson wants a rebrand starting next year, he will get a rebrand starting next year.

  18. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by B504ever View Post
    Stern owes Benson big time, So 2 year waiting process does not apply. Rebrand would happen next year if team wants.
    didn't Stern basicially say once Benson starts the rebrand process he figured it would be fast tracked

    think he said that in the interview on FSNOLA before the Lakers game

  19. #169
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Last edited by 42; 12-08-2012 at 09:47 PM.

  20. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    2:34 to 2:40 exactly

    I think the Hornets may have a friend in the legal office that might help expedite the process when they decide on a name.
    so that tells me as soon as the Hornets finally settle on that name... it'll be done much quicker than the normal rules

  21. #171
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    There's an extended discussion, but that's the fast tracked part, unedited.

    Yes, and this has been the case from the get-go.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •