.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 171

Thread: Hornets deny report of new name for club

  1. #126
    For...ev...er... The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Haha i dont know what dathrone is saying but i never said that everyone hates the name. A majority dont like it.. It is what it is. The problem is the ones who do like the name only really like it simply because it is not "hornets" or they like it because the majoirity dont like it. I would be for a name change that is adds to this brand and makes it better.. Ie Knights, Krewe.. Pelicans does not accomplish that.
    Again, perspective. You're making up our reasons while justifying your own. I like it because I think it fits the city. Seeing people crying about it since it was announced has made me smile, though, you're right about that. But not everyone likes it for just those two reasons.

  2. #127
    ...we get to go McDonalds
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Expanding on that, you could, you know, be a rational person and have an open mind about what is to come, about the name, and how they will market it (colors, logo, mascot, promotions, etc).

    I certainly have an open mind about any name they choose.
    Sure, but that's not his point. His point is simply this (dathrone can correct me if I'm wrong): If you're changing the name of a company and then most places start criticizing your name change...maybe you should head in another direction.

    And saying "you didn't poll EVERYONE" is like putting your head in the sand. The name clearly has not had the effect Tom Benson would have wanted. People are laughing at the name and sports radio across the country (at least in San Francisco, NY and Chicago) started the day with the topic of "What are other terrible sports nicknames?" Will this change over time? Sure it can, but to sit here and argue that the name is a "smart" choice would be foolhardy. Has Bobcats been a good choice in names? No -- you'd have to be deaf, blind, and dumb to think that rebrand worked. Maybe over a longer period of time, but not right now.

    And there's no right or wrong here. For every reversal in decision, there's also been a decision laced in stubbornness that has worked. Steve Jobs didn't believe in surveys or focus groups because he believed he knew better and 'regular' people have no vision.

    But there's also GAP who changed logos for what seemed like a day before they said "oops, sorry, going back to our old one since y'all clearly don't like it." Coke has done it as well. So there's no right or wrong way to go about it.

    At the end of the day, everyone needs to realize that the other side has a point. We need to wait and see (like Smirk has said) but we shouldn't just think any choice is great because we know of a few people who like it (when most clearly think its laughable).

  3. #128
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    So if the name clearly has not had the effect that Benson wanted and he still sticks with it, then what?

  4. #129
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I can say every person from NOLA I've talked to said they hate it. The only pro Pelican people I see are here. I make no mistake to fool myself to think that I can poll every person in the region. However just having been born in raised in NOLA all the feedback I heard have been strongly negative ever since that article released.

    It doesn't take 100% of the people. It would be foolish to alienate a large portion of fans. This isn't just people saying they like another name better it's people saying this name is awful.
    I would say at first here no one like pelicans either. Many of us have warmed to the idea over the last months. The general public is just finding out about this for the first time. I be in a month people's opinions will change. At first, Thunder was very widely disliked, within a couple of months it didn't matter.

  5. #130
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    I overheard 10 random groups of people (folks at coffee shop, people around campus) talking about Pelicans.

    They all liked it.

    And talking about this they way the team is playing and given the state of the stars . . . that's galvanized.
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  6. #131
    Starter Big-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chalfont St. Giles, UK
    Posts
    165
    Not saying the Pelicans is a bad choice for the team name and I am quite indiffrent to any name really, give me a good to team to watch and I am happy.
    Until the name is offically released it is never too late in the process to make a change, doesnt matter if they spent 5 months with Pelicans in mind. If they decide the day before releasing the name that it is a poor decsion then pull the plug and start over. Experience a failure before it is released rather than let it fall on its face. (Once again I don't dislike the name)

  7. #132
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I overheard 10 random groups of people (folks at coffee shop, people around campus) talking about Pelicans.

    They all liked it.

    And talking about this they way the team is playing and given the state of the stars . . . that's galvanized.
    I can echo this. Most people had an initial bad reaction, even in BR people are starting to think about it and appreciate it. I believe in a few months when the final art is released on logos, court, etc, people within the 200 mile radius will love the nickname and to be honest that's all that matters. When I first heard the Texans moniker I though it was the dumbest thing ever, but people in Houston seem to like it. I still think it's dumb, but it doesn't matter and people in Houston could care less if people in Louisiana like it.

  8. #133
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    Not saying the Pelicans is a bad choice for the team name and I am quite indiffrent to any name really, give me a good to team to watch and I am happy.
    Until the name is offically released it is never too late in the process to make a change, doesnt matter if they spent 5 months with Pelicans in mind. If they decide the day before releasing the name that it is a poor decsion then pull the plug and start over. Experience a failure before it is released rather than let it fall on its face. (Once again I don't dislike the name)
    The money going into it now and the time it takes to register and clear a trademark, it really is too late to change direction. It takes about 10 months to register a trade mark if not longer. You must make sure that there isn't a duplicate already registered, it's a long legal process. If they want this to take place for the 2013 season, which they do, it's already too late to change direction. Some of the other names many people like are being squatted on by other companies, Brass, being squatted on by the former owner of the defunct hockey team as an example.

  9. #134
    Starter Big-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chalfont St. Giles, UK
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    The money going into it now and the time it takes to register and clear a trademark, it really is too late to change direction. It takes about 10 months to register a trade mark if not longer. You must make sure that there isn't a duplicate already registered, it's a long legal process. If they want this to take place for the 2013 season, which they do, it's already too late to change direction. Some of the other names many people like are being squatted on by other companies, Brass, being squatted on by the former owner of the defunct hockey team as an example.
    Those are good points and I wonder if they submitted more than one team name through that process. I guess the point I was trying to mmake was the amount of money invested currently is small compared to the revenue a great name and design could generate compared to a boring or unpopular one.
    During a project until it is complete it can be closed if something impacts the business case and adjusts the estimated outputs or results.

  10. #135
    ...we get to go McDonalds
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    So if the name clearly has not had the effect that Benson wanted and he still sticks with it, then what?
    Then he sticks with it and hopefully the Pelicans win some games.

  11. #136
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    Those are good points and I wonder if they submitted more than one team name through that process. I guess the point I was trying to mmake was the amount of money invested currently is small compared to the revenue a great name and design could generate compared to a boring or unpopular one.
    During a project until it is complete it can be closed if something impacts the business case and adjusts the estimated outputs or results.
    You can read more here, sorry, I should have linked in my original post.
    http://www.nolasportskrewe.com/showthread.php?t=2194

  12. #137
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I overheard 10 random groups of people (folks at coffee shop, people around campus) talking about Pelicans.

    They all liked it.

    And talking about this they way the team is playing and given the state of the stars . . . that's galvanized.
    What campus is that?


    There are certain campuses filled with certain kinds of people, with people of a certain ilk, that quality that can't be matched, an upscale sir, who would be particular to an upscale, elite name like PEliCans.

  13. #138
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    So if the name clearly has not had the effect that Benson wanted and he still sticks with it, then what?
    The League steps in, because they have final say. And if it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.

    That article that says the league's number one profit maker is "Merchandise", not ticket sales or t.v. deals, tells you all you need to know about what happens if there is this type of backlash.

  14. #139
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,923
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Eman, WhoDatHornet, obviously ya'll are lying.

    There will be people that like it, don't mind it, or hate it. But there will NEVER be a 100% agree or disagree on situations like this.

    ETA: I asked two people yesterday. One didn't mind it and the other said he didn't like it but he's pretty sure it'll grow on him.
    Betta watch your mouth, lady. You don't know nothin' 'bout mah momma!


    But no seriously. She likes really liked it. But she's like mentally Japanese. She loves cute things, so she probably thinks of the big puffy neck billed image of a pelican.
    Now I do voice overs. Finally!

  15. #140
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    The League steps in, because they have final say. And if it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.

    That article that says the league's number one profit maker is "Merchandise", not ticket sales or t.v. deals, tells you all you need to know about what happens if there is this type of backlash.
    That won't stop some people around here from thinking since Benson bought the team (leveraged with further enhancements from local taxpayers), he can name the team the Fighting Rita's if he wants too. It's no different than naming a restaurant right?

    And for all these people with personal stories of how they heard groups of people that likes the name, this name that's supposedly growing on people was mocked at my job site just as it is in national media. So apparently, it's not growing on all New Orleanians.

    There were also polls done in the past where Pelicans never fared well if at all. We had consistent alternatives that always did well. Why should those be ignored?

  16. #141
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    The money going into it now and the time it takes to register and clear a trademark, it really is too late to change direction. It takes about 10 months to register a trade mark if not longer. You must make sure that there isn't a duplicate already registered, it's a long legal process. If they want this to take place for the 2013 season, which they do, it's already too late to change direction. Some of the other names many people like are being squatted on by other companies, Brass, being squatted on by the former owner of the defunct hockey team as an example.
    I'm sorry but nothing you said here is correct. Brass isn't being squatted on by anybody, the team has not made any moves regarding registering any name including Pelicans. All they have done is secure 5 names and have said nothing else officially beyond that, despite this Pelican rumor..

  17. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Brass isn't being squatted on by anybody
    Huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by 42
    It looks like the Brass is owned by Roy Rodney, former Brass owner.

  18. #143
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Betta watch your mouth, lady. You don't know nothin' 'bout mah momma!


    But no seriously. She likes really liked it. But she's like mentally Japanese. She loves cute things, so she probably thinks of the big puffy neck billed image of a pelican.


    Perhaps those in opposition of the name should bring "Veto The Pelicans" posters to the game tonight. I'm sure Benson and/or Lauscha will be there.

  19. #144
    Yes the name selected is the Pelicans but the backlash has been quite unexpected. Benson is using Fox 8 to pump the Pelican name to offset the negative public/media criticisms.

  20. #145
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'm sorry but nothing you said here is correct. Brass isn't being squatted on by anybody, the team has not made any moves regarding registering any name including Pelicans. All they have done is secure 5 names and have said nothing else officially beyond that, despite this Pelican rumor..
    I'm sorry but nothing you said here is correct. If you really think Benson doesn't own the trademark to Pelicans you are kidding yourself. It does take time to register one, they may not be approved yet for the other alternatives. It's not a fast process, 6 months is considered expedited and is rare. 6 months from now is mid may. They will want this settled before the end of the season so they can have jerseys to see at the end of the year. They will want merchandise to sell during the summer. This stuff doesn't just pop out of thin air.

    The only reason why they are not confirming it is they have stuff they want to be able to offload all the Hornets junk without taking much of a loss / maximizing profits. This getting leaked is likely going to take a huge hit on merchandise sales. Who's going to want Hornets crap other than ___ Hornets fans. Odds are New Orleans ___ fans will wait. Majority of the fan base, love it or hate it, is in New Orleans.
    Last edited by all2neat; 12-07-2012 at 03:24 PM.

  21. #146
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post


    Perhaps those in opposition of the name should bring "Veto The Pelicans" posters to the game tonight. I'm sure Benson and/or Lauscha will be there.
    Maybe all fans should create their own shirseys for their favorite team name and then we can take a head count. Team Voodoo!

    All ZOMBIES represent.

  22. #147
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    ^^ Now THAT would be interesting!

  23. #148
    1. I tried. I really did. I wanted so badly to say something smarter about the New Orleans Hornets' proposed adoption of the nickname Pelicans than former Orlando Magic beat man Jerry Brewer's glorious zinger. But Brewer's tweet this week was perfect: "Who the hell thought Pelicans was a good name for an NBA team? It's not even a good name for a pelican." I'm well aware that pelicans are the state bird of Louisiana, but c'mon. We can assume this whole New Orleans Pelicans concept stems from the fact that new Hornets owner Tom Benson owns the rights to the nickname Pelicans and thus might have something to gain financially from the switch. The nicest thing you can say about the whole plan is that the Hornets, according to league sources, have continued to beg the Utah Jazz to relinquish the nickname they kept when the New Orleans Jazz relocated to Salt Lake City in 1979.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...-scouts-saying

  24. #149
    A dig coming from a MAGIC beat writer? Does he realize he is a beat writer for...THE MAGIC?

  25. #150
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    A dig coming from a MAGIC beat writer? Does he realize he is a beat writer for...THE MAGIC?
    Hey now. They're honoring Disney World. Gotta love that right?

    Also, didn't Stern already say the Jazz name wasn't happening?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •