.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 171

Thread: Hornets deny report of new name for club

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Quote from my dad "They could call em the New Orleans Poo Poo I don't give a ****" Like father, like son apparently.

    My Dad is crazy though and lives by "My daddy told me once i turned 50 i could say whatever the hell i wanted". He definitely keeps it real.
    All im going to say to this is that not all the prominent courtside fans love this name

    But im giving it up.. I promised to stop posting in the other thread and did and i will do the same for this thread. I cant stop loving this team regardless of the name.. I love the city of NO it is my 2nd home behind toronto and hopefully some of the fans on here become more accepting of outsiders because i know they dont represent the majority of NOLA residents
    Last edited by hornetstime247; 12-07-2012 at 10:26 AM.

  2. #102
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Haha i dont know what dathrone is saying but i never said that everyone hates the name. A majority dont like it.. It is what it is. The problem is the ones who do like the name only really like it simply because it is not "hornets" or they like it because the majoirity dont like it. I would be for a name change that is adds to this brand and makes it better.. Ie Knights, Krewe.. Pelicans does not accomplish that.
    Or they like it because it's more indigenous to the area. Those people exist too you know?

  3. #103
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    But the point I'm trying to make is you didn't talk to EVERY PERSON in Nola. You haven't talked to EVERY PERSON in the state of Louisiana. I'll be glad when they make a formal announcement of any name so we can move forward. Whatever name they choose, people will either still support the team or move on because of their name.
    If you read my post I addressed the fact that it's not everybody. However every poll I've seen says the majority of people dislike it.

  4. #104
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    I'm indifferent. I'm not hating it. I'm not loving it. If I had to choose I don't know if that would've been the first indigenous to the area name I would've came up with but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit over the name.

    Oh I know. If I wanted a name indigenous to the area, I would've gone with the New Orleans Magnolias. There. State flower. Surely everyone would've liked that name right?

  5. #105
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If you read my post I addressed the fact that it's not everybody. However every poll I've seen says the majority of people dislike it.
    Has everyone in the world taken the poll?

  6. #106
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    You say settle but why not content with the fact that a team will no longer have an identity of another state but now its own with a bird that represents its state better than a bug? You see everything in black and white, no gray. What if we love it in ten years? Same thing your just being stubborn.
    Stubborn because I rather not have that may or may not grow on me? When I can have one right now that I at least think is ok.

    We can accomplish establishing our own identity with a name that the masses are ok with. You guys are acting like Pelican is the only name that fits it's not.

  7. #107
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If you read my post I addressed the fact that it's not everybody. However every poll I've seen says the majority of people dislike it.
    What are the demographics of the poll? What is the breakdown among racial and gender lines? How many of the people polled are season ticket holders? How many were likely to attend a game? How many were expected to buy or not buy merchandise?

    There's a reason why real, SCIENTIFIC polls ask questions like this. That stuff matters. It makes all the difference.

    An internet poll on ESPN.com is about as worthless as nipples on a bull. A poll of all of your friends is even more worthless.

    How about this: the majority of people I know with season tickets like it. I like it. Therefore you are wrong. See how I did that?

  8. #108
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Has everyone in the world taken the poll?
    Not the point. Clearly enough people hate it. Once again it doesn't require 100% disapproval just a large amount of people who strongly dislikes it. I would say that's been confirmed. Once again why settle for a name that so many dislike?

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If you read my post I addressed the fact that it's not everybody. However every poll I've seen says the majority of people dislike it.
    just in a few days on this board I've seen more and more people say "you know what... it's growing on me. I'm statring to like it". The initial hatred was understood... but I believe as more people let it sink it they'll like it. A real good design (logos, uniforms, court) will bring even more around. And get a star player (see: Davis, Anthony) to really perform well in it... we'll be doing just fine
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

  10. #110
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Stubborn because I rather not have that may or may not grow on me? When I can have one right now that I at least think is ok.
    The world doesn't resolve around you champ.

  11. #111
    How about The New Orleans Fightin' Whiners? Fitting.
    The Dance team could be called The Crybabies.
    The Mascot could be Eeyore (pending Disney approval)

  12. #112
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not the point. Clearly enough people hate it.
    Not clear to me. People who dislike it are more vocal.

    The same people won't even think about it in a year.

  13. #113
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    What are the demographics of the poll? What is the breakdown among racial and gender lines? How many of the people polled are season ticket holders? How many were likely to attend a game? How many were expected to buy or not buy merchandise?

    There's a reason why real, SCIENTIFIC polls ask questions like this. That stuff matters. It makes all the difference.

    An internet poll on ESPN.com is about as worthless as nipples on a bull. A poll of all of your friends is even more worthless.

    How about this: the majority of people I know with season tickets like it. I like it. Therefore you are wrong. See how I did that?
    Once again I never said those poll were scientific. Just pointing out there's a large amount of people who strongly dislike the name. If it's meant with this kind of resistance it's just best to move on. Pelicans isn't the only name being considered.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Once again I never said those poll were scientific. Just pointing out there's a large amount of people who strongly dislike the name. If it's meant with this kind of resistance it's just best to move on. Pelicans isn't the only name being considered.
    And he is pointing out a large amount of people Like it or don't mind it. Reading comprehension is your friend.

  15. #115
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    The world doesn't resolve around you champ.
    LOL so it does around you? My opinion means as much as yours.

    He is trying to make a point that I should be happy with any name so long as it has reference to the region. That's not the case.

  16. #116
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    just in a few days on this board I've seen more and more people say "you know what... it's growing on me. I'm statring to like it". The initial hatred was understood... but I believe as more people let it sink it they'll like it. A real good design (logos, uniforms, court) will bring even more around. And get a star player (see: Davis, Anthony) to really perform well in it... we'll be doing just fine
    My brother is always on facebook and he said after all the initial ridicule, some of them saw that logo that's been floating around and they're now saying 'oh yeah, if that's the logo I can rock that'.


  17. #117
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    And he is pointing out a large amount of people Like it or don't mind it. Reading comprehension is your friend.
    What about that post says there aren't people who support the name? I'm saying there's enough people who strongly dislike this name to move to another one.

    So maybe you should comprehend what you read.

  18. #118
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,220
    People forget a rebrand is suppose to galvanize the fans. All this name has done is divide fans.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    My brother is always on facebook and he said after all the initial ridicule, some of them saw that logo that's been floating around and they're now saying 'oh yeah, if that's the logo I can rock that'.

    yeah I LOVE that logo... I hope it or 1 very similar is adopted by the team if Pelicans does eventually become the team name

  20. #120
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm saying there's enough people who strongly dislike this name to move to another one.
    Vocal people are complaining because the name is "ghey". I don't think that's enough to move on.

    You can't quantify the amount of people who don't like it, or the type of people who don't like it. All you know is that YOU don't like it, and you found others that don't.

    Again, your opinion doesn't really matter. Only Benson's does.

    And it has been demonstrated time and time again that after a time, people get use to a name and stop caring.

  21. #121
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Vocal people are complaining because the name is "ghey". I don't think that's enough to move on.

    You can't quantify the amount of people who don't like it, or the type of people who don't like it. All you know is that YOU don't like it, and you found others that don't.

    Again, your opinion doesn't really matter. Only Benson's does.

    And it has been demonstrated time and time again that after a time, people get use to a name and stop caring.
    I like how people get all high and mighty and say other peoples opinion doesn't matter.

    I may not be able to "quantify" the people, but they are there and it appears that they are the majority. Until there's a better source that's all the info we have. Unofficial as it is that is what it is.

    And we can talk about the fanbases that still don't care for the names. Why change a name to something and hope a large group of people come around? When we can choose a name the majority are at least ok with today.

  22. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    What about that post says there aren't people who support the name? I'm saying there's enough people who strongly dislike this name to move to another one.

    So maybe you should comprehend what you read.
    You realize no one will ever 100% agree on a name right? If we "moved on" because there were "large groups" who "strongly dislike" the name. We'd never have a name.
    What about the "large groups" that like it? Why should they move on?
    You're fighting a losing battle man (as usual).
    Benson will do what he wants cause he's DA BOSS.
    You want to name the team well you should have bought it. You had your chance.
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 12-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.

  23. #123
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I like how people get all high and mighty and say other peoples opinion doesn't matter.

    I may not be able to "quantify" the people, but they are there and it appears that they are the majority. Until there's a better source that's all the info we have. Unofficial as it is that is what it is.

    And we can talk about the fanbases that still don't care for the names. Why change a name to something and hope a large group of people come around? When we can choose a name the majority are at least ok with today.
    Since when do you care about the majority? You thought Anthony Davis was the 7th best prospect in the draft and said, repeatedly, that you didn't care what everyone else thought.

    An opinion on a name is entirely subjective.

    Virtually everyone I've seen that's complained about the name saw some of the fake mockups out there and started liking it once they saw those.

    Opinions change.

  24. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We New Orleanians are like that. OUR name. Give us our OWN name. Even if everyone thinks it's stupid. I wouldn't cross the street to put out a Hornet on fire with my urine.
    Whoa, your urine set a Hornet on fire? They have shots for that.

  25. #125
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,550
    Expanding on that, you could, you know, be a rational person and have an open mind about what is to come, about the name, and how they will market it (colors, logo, mascot, promotions, etc).

    I certainly have an open mind about any name they choose.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •