.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 171

Thread: Hornets deny report of new name for club

  1. #76
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,926
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    I have been trying to get this across to people for days now. I don't know why this concept is so hard to comprehend. It's beyond ridiculous.

    Reminds me of a philosophy class I took where the class couldn't understand the concept of "Thinking about thinking"....whaaattttt?
    This doesn't address the issue at all. Why would I settle for a name I basically hate just because it's a NOLA team? We have the ability to get a name at least the majority likes. If it was one or the other fine, but it's not and we have the power to express our feeling for a team we have to support. If I'm expected to spend money on tickets and merchandise why wouldn't I speak up about a name I think is a mockery?

  2. #77
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Only a fool ignores his customers. That not leadership it's pig headedness.

    It's his business to do what he likes, but I guarantee if he named any of his business something that rub people the wrong way sells would decrease.
    Maybe it's a guy who likes Pelicans and the state of Louisiana. Pelicans dosent rub people wrong some just dont like it. You can't make everyone happy. What if everyone grows to like it?

    "I want ONLY 9 eyebrows in the starting lineup for the Hornets next year." I typed this before the draft lottery

  3. #78
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,926
    Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Maybe it's a guy who likes Pelicans and the state of Louisiana. Pelicans dosent rub people wrong some just dont like it. You can't make everyone happy. What if everyone grows to like it?
    You can't make everyone happy, but you can make the masses OK with the name. And while I haven't polled everyone in Louisiana I can say from the majority of feedback I'm seeing people hate/strongly dislike the name.

    Why in the world with this region rich history and the whole dictionary at our disposal would we settle for a name that has to grow on us. My standards are much higher than that.

  4. #79
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This doesn't address the issue at all. Why would I settle for a name I basically hate just because it's a NOLA team? We have the ability to get a name at least the majority likes. If it was one or the other fine, but it's not and we have the power to express our feeling for a team we have to support. If I'm expected to spend money on tickets and merchandise why wouldn't I speak up about a name I think is a mockery?
    Actually, We don't.. We the people don't get to decide. It's up to the Benson and the club, and to a lesser degree the NBA.

  5. #80
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,812
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Only a fool ignores his customers. That not leadership it's pig headedness.

    It's his business to do what he likes, but I guarantee if he named any of his business something that rub people the wrong way sells would decrease.
    You make it sound like Pelicans is offensive.
    Now I provide life insurance benefits.

  6. #81
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,926
    Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    Actually, We don't.. We the people don't get to decide. It's up to the Benson and the club, and to a lesser degree the NBA.
    See that's what "they" want you to believe that you're powerless. That's the illusion. If we all told Benson we aren't going to allow you to force feed us a name we don't like I guarentee you it would change. He is the owner to make money. He makes money when we support the team no support no money.

    So while legally he has the right to name the team whatever without us his investment is worthless.

  7. #82
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You make it sound like Pelicans is offensive.
    Doesn't have to be offensive just distasteful to the majority.

    Fans are expected to ride or die with their teams. Sports in general pray on peoples passions. Why move forward with a name when a large amount of fans are this passioniately against it? Common sense say just pick another name until you get to one where the majority at least says it's ok.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 12-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    See that's what "they" want you to believe that you're powerless. That's the illusion. If we all told Benson we aren't going to allow you to force feed us a name we don't like I guarentee you it would change. He is the owner to make money. He makes money when we support the team no support no money.

    So while legally he has the right to name the team whatever without us his investment is worthless.
    Are you talking about a boycott? Seriously? Over a mascot? That's just silly.
    There will always people, FANS, like me who will support them and spend money on the team no matter the name.
    because again
    "It don't matter to jesus" - The Jesus

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    Actually, We don't.. We the people don't get to decide. It's up to the Benson and the club, and to a lesser degree the NBA.
    You are right it is up to him.. but it is completely and utterly wrong and shows ignorance and bad business sense if he puts out a brand that is the focus of mockery and ridicule. The supports are far and few between. Even the majority of hornets fans in nola bashed this. Eventually all of the haters including me are going to have to shut up and put up with it but until it is official I am hoping the people at the top of this organization will come to their senses.

    I've been around these boards for a while and i'm also a saints fan and have been around saintsreport for a while. I know some of the "supporters" of this name were out there bashing and ridiculing Oklahoma for Thunder and I'm sure they were ridiculing washington for Wizards. This is worse than those two names! As a Saints fan I was also around during the bad times when Bensons was pretty much loathed for putting out bad teams and even attempting a move to SA after Katrina. So the hypocrisy and irony of this situation is interesting to say the least.

    And for those of you who say nobody cares what the fans of this team outside of NO think.... I would love to have someone from the organization tell me that..fact of the matter is they won't...because like it or not this team has a relatively huge following of non-local fans vs local fans and those fans also travel to NO buy tickets, buy jerseys, buy hornets stuff, watch the broadcast etc etc etc All you are doing by telling us that we "dont matter" or that we "are not fans" is pushing people away and creating divides within the fan base. I am shocked that anyone would want to do this. This reminds of when Harvey Hornet was around pretty much calling everyone stupid because they didn't agree with him and telling us outsider fans that we dont matter and that we shouldnt even be fans because we didnt live in NOLA.
    Last edited by hornetstime247; 12-07-2012 at 09:45 AM.

  10. #85
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,926
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Are you talking about a boycott? Seriously? Over a mascot? That's just silly.
    There will always people, FANS, like me who will support them and spend money on the team no matter the name.
    because again
    "It don't matter to jesus" - The Jesus
    It shouldn't have to come to a boycott. However if we have an owner that says "Screw you people who pay me I'm doing what I want" then I can walk away. You say it's a name I say it's about the princple. I can follow the team without spending a dime.

  11. #86
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    "If we all told Benson". Who is we all? We haven't seen or heard EVERYONE in the world's opinion. Sure, we've seen lots of opinions here and on other message boards and social medias, but we haven't seen everyone's opinion. Not everyone does social media. I don't. Not everyone frequents message boards. I've always thought it funny when people think because they and other's don't like something then that must mean NO ONE AT ALL likes it.

  12. #87
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    You can't make everyone happy, but you can make the masses OK with the name. And while I haven't polled everyone in Louisiana I can say from the majority of feedback I'm seeing people hate/strongly dislike the name.

    Why in the world with this region rich history and the whole dictionary at our disposal would we settle for a name that has to grow on us. My standards are much higher than that.
    What if everyone's OK with the name in the future? That's like the same thing, yeah it is.

  13. #88
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    And this too shall pass.

  14. #89
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,926
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    "If we all told Benson". Who is we all? We haven't seen or heard EVERYONE in the world's opinion. Sure, we've seen lots of opinions here and on other message boards and social medias, but we haven't seen everyone's opinion. Not everyone does social media. I don't. Not everyone frequents message boards. I've always thought it funny when people think because they and other's don't like something then that must mean NO ONE AT ALL likes it.
    I can say every person from NOLA I've talked to said they hate it. The only pro Pelican people I see are here. I make no mistake to fool myself to think that I can poll every person in the region. However just having been born in raised in NOLA all the feedback I heard have been strongly negative ever since that article released.

    It doesn't take 100% of the people. It would be foolish to alienate a large portion of fans. This isn't just people saying they like another name better it's people saying this name is awful.

  15. #90
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,926
    Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    What if everyone's OK with the name in the future? That's like the same thing, yeah it is.
    Why deal in what if's? We don't have to that's the point. We can get a name right now people are mostly ok with.

    What if we hate it 10 years from now? Fans still hate "Bobcats"(Johnson ignored the people).

  16. #91
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,511
    How bad is this name? Seriously? I like it because I think it's the right name. That matters more than if some people like it or not. Benson is not being stubborn maybe he umms sees things differently than you guys do. Like every human.

  17. #92
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I can say every person from NOLA I've talked to said they hate it. The only pro Pelican people I see are here. I make no mistake to fool myself to think that I can poll every person in the region. However just having been born in raised in NOLA all the feedback I heard have been strongly negative ever since that article released.

    It doesn't take 100% of the people. It would be foolish to alienate a large portion of fans. This isn't just people saying they like another name better it's people saying this name is awful.
    But the point I'm trying to make is you didn't talk to EVERY PERSON in Nola. You haven't talked to EVERY PERSON in the state of Louisiana. I'll be glad when they make a formal announcement of any name so we can move forward. Whatever name they choose, people will either still support the team or move on because of their name.

  18. #93
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,812
    My mom loves the name.

  19. #94
    My dad, wife, and good friend who I have ticket packages with (aka people who actually spend money on the team and at the arena) don't mind the name. So apparently its NOT EVERYONE! GASP!?!
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 12-07-2012 at 10:16 AM.

  20. #95
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Why deal in what if's? We don't have to that's the point. We can get a name right now people are mostly ok with.

    What if we hate it 10 years from now? Fans still hate "Bobcats"(Johnson ignored the people).
    You say settle but why not content with the fact that a team will no longer have an identity of another state but now its own with a bird that represents its state better than a bug? You see everything in black and white, no gray. What if we love it in ten years? Same thing your just being stubborn.

  21. #96
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Eman, WhoDatHornet, obviously ya'll are lying.

    There will be people that like it, don't mind it, or hate it. But there will NEVER be a 100% agree or disagree on situations like this.

    ETA: I asked two people yesterday. One didn't mind it and the other said he didn't like it but he's pretty sure it'll grow on him.

  22. #97
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,603
    My boss, who is extremely prominent and has court side seats as well as club seats LOVES the name, and he told Tom Benson so.

    I'm willing to bet he takes that into consideration more than "Da Throne" or "@OMG504FERLYFE".

  23. #98
    Quote from my dad "They could call em the New Orleans Poo Poo I don't give a ****" Like father, like son apparently.

    My Dad is crazy though and lives by "My daddy told me once i turned 50 i could say whatever the hell i wanted". He definitely keeps it real.

  24. #99
    Haha i dont know what dathrone is saying but i never said that everyone hates the name. A majority dont like it.. It is what it is. The problem is the ones who do like the name only really like it simply because it is not "hornets" or they like it because the majoirity dont like it. I would be for a name change that is adds to this brand and makes it better.. Ie Knights, Krewe.. Pelicans does not accomplish that.

  25. #100
    Fitting for this thread and many others right now.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •