.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 171

Thread: Hornets deny report of new name for club

  1. #26
    The Franchise kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,375
    Just please, I hope to God that Pelicans isn't it.

  2. #27
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Silverfoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,913
    If its pelicans, Im leaving this forum. And becoming an Lakers bandwagoner lol
    True Love

  3. #28
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Hope confused with think here.

    The evidence says Pelicans is likely it and that this is not a trial to me. There is room for that, but to call it the most likely is a reach.

    Even in just 48h the mood has changed, so if it was a trial... is it failing?
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Hope confused with think here.

    The evidence says Pelicans is likely it and that this is not a trial to me. There is room for that, but to call it the most likely is a reach.

    Even in just 48h the mood has changed, so if it was a trial... is it failing?
    Would we want an owner that was so weak minded that he would float out a trial balloon with the fans? Don't we want a leader that makes up his mind and pushes forward regardless of what the fans immediate reaction is? I know I do. When fans have a say in a rebrand, you get names like the Wizards. No thanks.

    This idea that he is floating out a name is wishful thinking. Accept Pelicans people. Bite your pillow and just accept it
    @mcnamara247

  5. #30
    Hey, we can see by just a few days more and more people are coming around to the idea of pelicans. By the time its actually announced everyone will love it.

  6. #31
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Would we want an owner that was so weak minded that he would float out a trial balloon with the fans? Don't we want a leader that makes up his mind and pushes forward regardless of what the fans immediate reaction is? I know I do. When fans have a say in a rebrand, you get names like the Wizards. No thanks.

    This idea that he is floating out a name is wishful thinking. Accept Pelicans people. Bite your pillow and just accept it
    This issue is different than managing the team's finances, deciding how much to pay who, where to build a practice facility, etc.

    The team name though, has to be in agreement with the fans, or he stands to lose revenue. I don't think I've ever seen any random fan in Wizards gear, outside of Jordan's brief stint. They are in a larger market so they can withstand a crap name.

    This market, however, has less margin of error. This is not an issue for the owner to be bull headed. Wouldn't be very smart at all. We also have clear front runners here that the majority seems to be fine with. None of which are Wizards or Mudbuggers...or Pelicans.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This issue is different than managing the team's finances, deciding how much to pay who, where to build a practice facility, etc.

    The team name though, has to be in agreement with the fans, or he stands to lose revenue. I don't think I've ever seen any random fan in Wizards gear, outside of Jordan's brief stint. They are in a larger market so they can withstand a crap name.

    This market, however, has less margin of error. This is not an issue for the owner to be bull headed. Wouldn't be very smart at all. We also have clear front runners here that the majority seems to be fine with. None of which are Wizards or Mudbuggers...or Pelicans.
    I don't agree it "has to be an agreement with the fans". In fact i don't think the fans should have a say what so ever. Fans in general are stupid (myself included).
    I don't know about you but i don't watch the team because of whatever stupid mascot they are called.
    I watch for AD, Rivers, Randerson, Enforcer, RoLo, Monty, Dell, ect ect ect ect

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Would we want an owner that was so weak minded that he would float out a trial balloon with the fans? Don't we want a leader that makes up his mind and pushes forward regardless of what the fans immediate reaction is? I know I do. When fans have a say in a rebrand, you get names like the Wizards. No thanks.

    This idea that he is floating out a name is wishful thinking. Accept Pelicans people. Bite your pillow and just accept it
    testing an idea before you spend millions of dollars on it = smart minded.

    weak minded leaders act before they think through the consequences of their actions. weak minded leaders believe their own opinion is right and push forward even when facing great evidence to the contrary; see george w bush for example.

  9. #34
    and btw the name pelicans sucks because it sounds pee wee, bush league, small town. bland and unimaginative.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by hornets415 View Post
    testing an idea before you spend millions of dollars on it = smart minded.

    weak minded leaders act before they think through the consequences of their actions. weak minded leaders believe their own opinion is right and push forward even when facing great evidence to the contrary; see george w bush for example.
    Disagree. Look at the film business, TV, etc. The movies and shows that get focus grouped to death are horrible. Asking the consumer what they want just leads to disaster. A singular voice has been responsible for the best films, TV shows, comedy acts, technological products, etc. Involve the masses and you get a watered down, junk product

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Disagree. Look at the film business, TV, etc. The movies and shows that get focus grouped to death are horrible. Asking the consumer what they want just leads to disaster. A singular voice has been responsible for the best films, TV shows, comedy acts, technological products, etc. Involve the masses and you get a watered down, junk product
    disagree. technology products are all a/b tested to optimize the product. just no one ever asks for someone's qualitative opinion, they use quantitative data to make the decisions on what to change and why.
    Last edited by hornets415; 12-06-2012 at 10:01 PM.

  12. #37
    The Franchise kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,375
    If it is Pelicans, and the team tries to give off this "It doesn't matter what the name is, as long as we have a team in the city" vibe, then they're a load of hypocrites. They wanted to change the Hornets name ever since Benson bought the club.

    Can't believe anyone actually thinks that Pelicans is even a better choice than Hornets.

  13. #38
    I think Hornets as a mascot / name is pretty poopoo but you'll never hear me saying the idiotic things some have said in reaction to pelicans.
    And no, i am not that "high" on Pelicans, just high on letting Benson do what he wants after spending 300+ million dollars on the team to keep them here.
    I've said it before i'll say it again, He could call em the New Orleans Doo Doo Browns and I'd still be going to games and rockin a poop brown jersey.
    "It don't matter to jesus" - the jesus
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 12-06-2012 at 10:21 PM.

  14. #39
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,924
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    If it is Pelicans, and the team tries to give off this "It doesn't matter what the name is, as long as we have a team in the city" vibe, then they're a load of hypocrites. They wanted to change the Hornets name ever since Benson bought the club.

    Can't believe anyone actually thinks that Pelicans is even a better choice than Hornets.
    We New Orleanians are like that. OUR name. Give us our OWN name. Even if everyone thinks it's stupid. I wouldn't cross the street to put out a Hornet on fire with my urine.

    If Pelicans has made you want to remain the Hornets...don't let me catch you on the street. The verbal beating I'd put on you would be indescribable.
    Now I do voice overs. Finally!

  15. #40
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    I don't agree it "has to be an agreement with the fans". In fact i don't think the fans should have a say what so ever. Fans in general are stupid (myself included).
    I don't know about you but i don't watch the team because of whatever stupid mascot they are called.
    I watch for AD, Rivers, Randerson, Enforcer, RoLo, Monty, Dell, ect ect ect ect
    Well, fan votes work in some places. "Jazz" was the result of a fan vote here and New Orleans Jazz was probably the best nickname of any NBA team since then. It's so good Utah...UTAH...doesn't want to even think about giving it back. Thier fans get highly perturbed at the idea in fact.

    It's also only good and smart business. You want a name that will help sell merchandise whether the team is 20-62 or 62-20.

  16. #41
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    A/B testing far more a out requirements verification and.software validation than testing out the desire for the product in the market.

    Try again.

  17. #42
    Well, fan votes work in some places. "Jazz" was the result of a fan vote here and New Orleans Jazz was probably the best nickname of any NBA team since then. It's so good Utah...UTAH...doesn't want to even think about giving it back.

    It's also only good and smart business. You want a name that will sell merchandise whether the team is 20-62 or 62-20.
    I guess my point is some fans (like me) will buy the merchandise no matter the name cause i like the BASKETBALL TEAM.
    I mean the current mascot is a cartoon bug with mickey mouse gloves...that didn't stop me from buying Hornets junk. In fact never even thought twice about it.
    I don't wear anything else with cartoon bugs on it. I don't particularly like the name hornets. I don't like mickey mouse gloves. But i still spend money at games. I still buy jerseys. I still follow the team religiously.
    The mascot means nothing to me nor does it effect my spending decisions. Crazy, i know.....
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 12-06-2012 at 10:40 PM.

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    If it is Pelicans, and the team tries to give off this "It doesn't matter what the name is, as long as we have a team in the city" vibe, then they're a load of hypocrites. They wanted to change the Hornets name ever since Benson bought the club.

    Can't believe anyone actually thinks that Pelicans is even a better choice than Hornets.
    and i cant believe anyone wants to stay the hornets.

  19. #44
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    A/B testing far more a out requirements verification and.software validation than testing out the desire for the product in the market.

    Try again.
    Let's not confuse beta testing with market surveys. Products are constantly tested and consumers are constantly surveyed on what they want and how to improve product lines. I know people that fill out surveys all day because these things offer cash. The new Blackberry phones are another example where both consumers and enterprise needs have been harvested over the past few years to culminate in their new product offering in February.

    Any smart profit seeking enterprise will survey first instead of just throwing out what the board of directors personally likes.

  20. #45
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    Which is why we come off as a sensitive cry baby fan base. I'm game with the Pelicans name but to change it from the Hornets just so it can be "More New Orleans" is weak and selfish. It's Benson's money but I hate how he basically kicked the out of country/city/state fans to the side. #GoPelicans
    Nothing about New Orleans is weak. But I should only speak for myself. But there's nothing selfish about it. It's not the NBA's team, at least not anymore. It's not the international market's team. Our name is on the front. That's what matters.

    Making the team our own is far from selfish.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 12-06-2012 at 10:50 PM.

  21. #46
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    I guess my point is some fans (like me) will buy the merchandise no matter the name cause i like the BASKETBALL TEAM.
    I mean the current mascot is a cartoon bug with mickey mouse gloves...that didn't stop me from buying Hornets junk. In fact never even thought twice about it.
    I don't wear anything else with cartoon bugs on it. I don't particularly like the name hornets. I don't like mickey mouse gloves. But i still spend money at games. I still buy jerseys. I still follow the team religiously.
    The mascot means nothing to me nor does it effect my spending decisions. Crazy, i know.....
    You say this, but if this team were to be named the Flying Snotbubbles with lime green and bright yellow designs, tell me you'd fell the same way.

    There will always be outliers but an NBA franchise needs the masses to buy in.

  22. #47
    [QUOTE=WhoDatHornet;1010298]Hey, we can see by just a few days more and more people are coming around to the idea of pelicans. By the time its actually announced everyone will love it.[/QUOT


    I agree. There's a lot of people online warming up to the name.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Nothing about New Orleans is weak. But I should only speak for myself. But there's nothing selfish about it. It's not the NBA's team, at least not anymore. It's not the international market's team. Our name is on the front. That's what matters.

    Making the team our own is far from selfish.

    I'm excited about the name change now. Just felt bad for some other fans that were crushed by the news

  24. #49
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    Which is why we come off as a sensitive cry baby fan base. I'm game with the Pelicans name but to change it from the Hornets just so it can be "More New Orleans" is weak and selfish. It's Benson's money but I hate how he basically kicked the out of country/city/state fans to the side. #GoPelicans
    But you do know that a lot of team names have something to do with the cities/states their teams are in though right?

  25. #50
    Hall of Famer Ceedee M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Down da bayou
    Posts
    914
    Support the product or don't. I would like to know all the brands in your house in which you all had a say so on the name. My favorite place to shop is Dress Barn...Dress Barn. That name sounds like a flea shop. And some people don't shop there because of it. They have that choice. And you have a choice not to get behind the Pelicans. Let Benson live with his choice. But to act like you're entitled to deciding on the name is just...idk.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •