Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornets deny report of new name for club

Hornets deny report of new name for club

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...sEnabled=false

The Pelicans have not been cleared for takeoff.

The New Orleans Hornets have denied a report that the team will change its name - perhaps by the start of next season - from Hornets to Pelicans.

“We’re not confirming that is the name,” Hornets spokesman Greg Bensel told the New Orleans Times Picayune when asked about a Yahoo! Sports story reporting that a name change was imminent.

“This is a process that’s ongoing and still in discussions. And it will be eventually decided by the NBA,” Bensel said.

The Hornets were purchased by New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson in April for $338 million and Benson has said that he would entertain the idea of changing the team’s name - a subject he says fans have brought up with him since he bought the club. The Times Picayune reports that Benson has been pushing for a name change - he’s reportedly owned the rights to the Pelican nickname for quite a while - and his wife, Gayle, has said that she wants to see the team’s colors changed to navy blue, red and gold.

Times Picayune columnist Jeff Duncan polled his Twitter followers about the proposed name change and wrote that the Pelicans nickname was viewed as a dud. Duncan proposed the name Dukes and according to the Yahoo! report, Brass and Krewe were also considered.

“I won’t say when it will happen, but of course I would support a (name) change,” NBA commissioner David Stern told the Times Picayune before the Yahoo! story was published.

New Orleans was home to the Jazz - a perfect name for the team - for five seasons from 1974 to 1979 before founder Sam Battisone moved the team to Utah. The NBA returned to the Big Easy in 2002 when the Charlotte Hornets relocated to New Orleans and kept the nickname along with its teal color scheme. If New Orleans ditches the Hornets nickname, Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan has said that he might drop the Bobcats nickname and bring the Hornets name back to Charlotte.

The Brown Pelican is the state bird of Louisiana - it was also the nickname for a minor league baseball team in New Orleans - and would fit right in to the NBA’s animal-friendly landscape of Bulls, Bucks, Grizzlies and Hawks, among others.
    Huh? soooo its not pelicans?

Test balloon?

How do people not know how this works?

They will deny anything until they can officially announce it. And you'll notice that Bensel didn't say "That is not the name."

He said "We're not confirming that is the name".

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post

They will deny anything until they can officially announce it. And you'll notice that Bensel didn't say "That is not the name."

Don't care. I'm still gonna keep holding out hope for voodoo.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    Don't care. I'm still gonna keep holding out hope for anything but Pelicans.
    fixed.

Same information that was on NOLA the day the name leaked. No new news. I'll hold my reactions/emotions until they officially announce SOMETHING.

The Franchise
    They leaked name to see how it would be recieved. Looks like they got their answer and are now denying it.

"NBA's animal-friendly landscape"?

A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

Stern probably told them to deny it until they can formally announce it. We know the league likes to be the first to announce these kinds of things.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Hopefully they go with Brass, Voodoo, or Krewe. All of those are better options than Pelicans, but I'm pretty sure it'll b Pelicans.

Deadspin has a great article in defense of the name up. Don't know if I can link it since there's some bad language in the story's title and body of the story.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Thanks, I'll go check it out. My main quibble is that it's just to long. Three syllables is alot for a nickname

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Where's that guy that said he had "inside info" that guaranteed it NOT to be pelicans? Has he ever come back?

Yeah and just calling them "The Pel's" doesn't really sound all that great to me.
    "Timing is everything. Chemistry is something that you don't just throw in the frying pan and mix it up with another something, then throw it on top of something, then fry it up and put it in a tortilla and put in a microwave, heat it up and give it to you and expect it to taste good. You know? For those of you who can cook, y'all know what I'm talking about. If y'all can't cook, this doesn't concern you."

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ah. The encounters with the so called insiders who come outta nowhere with info guaranteeing or leaking what not.

That'd be crazy if they end up keeping the Hornets.....

lol
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

The Philidalphia 76ers is 10 syllables lol
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Where's that guy that said he had "inside info" that guaranteed it NOT to be pelicans? Has he ever come back?
    He took an arrow to the knee...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    As long as it's not (2 Live) Krewe I'm ok.

Hornets deny report of new name for club

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    As long as it's not (2 Live) Krewe I'm ok.
    Yeaaa Luke can make us a theme song

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Yeaaa Luke can make us a theme song
    But he's Banned in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post

Until they officially announce it tho the name could be anything seeing as they have yet to submit any of there 5 trademarks or colors to the league.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    To be honest as long as it's not Bounce or Spirit I'm good. Even Angels is ok.

We might see the New Orleans Brass after all folks.
    Wherehappens.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Pelicans are slowly growing on me, I mean slowly. About time this leaked it was 0% but now its 0.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Pelicans are slowly growing on me, I mean slowly. About time this leaked it was 0% but now its 0.2%
    I've gone from .003% to -74%.

I no longer see it happening. Seems like they were ready for a big announcement, then Stern said, wait a minute...uhhhhh NO!

Brass or Krewe sells right away. Pelicans needs to wait on a championship contender. Stern is a right away type of guy.

Thread Information