Pelicans Report

Thread: Rivers' Shooting Stroke

Tulane Rivers' Shooting Stroke

OK, let me preface this by saying I'm actually encouraged by how easily Rivers gets around the court with his handle, as well as his improved passing, and I believe his work ethic is going to make him a solid player.

We all know his biggest offensive challenge is he's not a good shooter yet. But does it bother anyone else that he shoots with his elbow out? How many good shooters shoot like that? Isn't he limited in how much he can develop as a shooter unless he corrects that?

Thoughts?

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LAHornet85 View Post
    OK, let me preface this by saying I'm actually encouraged by how easily Rivers gets around the court with his handle, as well as his improved passing, and I believe his work ethic is going to make him a solid player.

We all know his biggest offensive challenge is he's not a good shooter yet. But does it bother anyone else that he shoots with his elbow out? How many good shooters shoot like that? Isn't he limited in how much he can develop as a shooter unless he corrects that?

Thoughts?
    Not only that, but it seems his natural jump shot tendency is almost an in-place fadeaway, with his leg kicking out. just weird

It is a symptom of playing so much isolation basketball and having to create for himself- usually using the dribble to create his momentum for the shot. LeBron had this tendency his first few years for the exact same reason. Eventually he will become more comfortable playing off the ball, spotting up, etc and he will learn to create his momentum in other ways, but for right now it is bad. And the people who actually studied his game knew this was the weakness coming in- not the ball hog, diva junk Chad Ford made up.

Check this out

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...e-point-guards
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It is a symptom of playing so much isolation basketball and having to create for himself- usually using the dribble to create his momentum for the shot. LeBron had this tendency his first few years for the exact same reason. Eventually he will become more comfortable playing off the ball, spotting up, etc and he will learn to create his momentum in other ways, but for right now it is bad. And the people who actually studied his game knew this was the weakness coming in- not the ball hog, diva junk Chad Ford made up.

Check this out

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...e-point-guards
    I'm not sure how accurate that article can be, when it lists Rivers' strength as "Getting to the Rim and Finishing".

Finishing or lack thereof has been one of Rivers' largest issues thus far.

And if you read that paragraph, it says that Rivers was horrible at finishing when he first got to Duke, but then figured it out and made adjustments

These are MAJOR transitions- one from high school to the ACC, then from the ACC to the NBA. To think that a guy could just keep doing what he is doing well when the competition level changes so drastically without an adjustment period is naive.

Rivers was horrible at Duke in November and December, but he kept working, watching film, etc. and adjusted because this kid refuses to give up no matter the odds. In the second half of his freshman season, he was elite when it came to finishing at the rim.

The adjustment period might take twice as long in the NBA, but the kid's track record shows that he keeps working until he gets it right. I don't see why the NBA will be any different

And here is a post from the same writer earlier that here. Problems seem very familiar to what we are seeing now, don't they? But Rivers put in the work and figured it out. History repeats itself:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-austin-rivers

Someone just brought up Austin Rivers in Hollinger's chat.

Dan (CA)

I just looked at Austin Rivers stats so far this year... GAAAAAAAAHHHHHH NOOOOO. What is going on with him?
    John Hollinger (12:27 PM)

My big worries about Rivers were that he didn't have the athleticism to cut it in the NBA as a slasher, and that he wasn't a good enough shooter to make up for it. That seems to be the case so far. But that said, keep in mind that there's a long history in this league of rookie guards getting absolutely slaughtered, before emerging in year 2 as a real basketball player.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Clearly Hollinger isn't watching actual games because Rivers isn't having issues getting to the rim. Its absorbing contact and finishing that's his problems.

And looking at the vid they had on his finishing, he was going left and finishing with his left. I really have to wonder if those wraps on his fingers are really holding him back.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 12-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Once he learns how to attack with more control and the game starts to slow down for him, he will be immensely more productive. That still doesn't fix his shot though.

He needs to play like he does in 2k13 where he can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Clearly Hollinger isn't watching actual games because Rivers isn't having issues getting to the rim. Its absorbing contact and finishing that's his problems.

And looking at the vid they had on his finishing, he was going left and finishing with his left. I really have to wonder if those wraps on his fingers are really holding him back.
    Bingo! And bingo again!

I've been impressed with Rivers as a slasher, but his finishing is weak right now. And that may be because...Rivers is weak right now. Watching him out there he really looks like a kid playing with grown men. I saw on his scouting report that Rivers only managed one rep in the bench press at the NBA combine (weight=185 pds--note: Durant couldn't even do one rep coming out, but then he's 6'9"). I've said before, I think Rivers came out a year early and this season is one to grow on. He should come off the bench and spend some time at both point and 2-guard against reserves to help get his game in shape and give him time to grow into the league. Honestly, if we had our own D-league team like some franchises, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a stint down there to help him adjust to the pro game. The thing that's bothered me the past few games is he is not looking to take his jump shot. Last night there were a couple of times he was literally left alone with the ball at the 3-point line and he hesitated before trying to penetrate. He's got to have the green light to hoist that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Bingo! And bingo again!

I've been impressed with Rivers as a slasher, but his finishing is weak right now. And that may be because...Rivers is weak right now. Watching him out there he really looks like a kid playing with grown men. I saw on his scouting report that Rivers only managed one rep in the bench press at the NBA combine (weight=185 pds--note: Durant couldn't even do one rep coming out, but then he's 6'9"). I've said before, I think Rivers came out a year early and this season is one to grow on. He should come off the bench and spend some time at both point and 2-guard against reserves to help get his game in shape and give him time to grow into the league. Honestly, if we had our own D-league team like some franchises, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a stint down there to help him adjust to the pro game. The thing that's bothered me the past few games is he is not looking to take his jump shot. Last night there were a couple of times he was literally left alone with the ball at the 3-point line and he hesitated before trying to penetrate. He's got to have the green light to hoist that shot.
    Thats the thing though. That was the plan. But when you're starter isn't on the court to start the season you have no choice but to start him because you're thin at the position. So you throw a guy like Rivers in the fire so to speak and let him take his lumps. This year is about transitioning these rookies/new young acquisitions into a new system. Now if EG was actually on the court...Rivers play wouldn't be such an issue. We knew this would be a project going in...he wasn't expected to get these kind of minutes this early. If EG is playing it takes a lot of pressure off him to be that guy...and gives him time to focus on how to become a better finisher, get stronger and work on his shot.

EGO being out is hampering him in more ways than one. Rivers has no one to emulate in practice at his position and style of play. EGO could be showing him how it's done day in and day out, but the most hurt sore kneee in the history of mankind can't let that happen.

I didn't expect Rivers to be a Day 1 Star but i think in a year or two he'll be stronger, more experienced and a better player overall
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

My definition of a slasher must be a little different. My view of a Slasher is someone with off ball skills. Someone who can run around a screen and curl to the basket and shoot. No one should deny Rivers ability to the get by his man, but that's all he has right now.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...l#incart_river
    Though Rivers is shooting 28.3 percent from the field and averaging 6.1 points after 16 games, Hornets Coach Monty Williams said he has no plans of limiting his minutes.

"What I’m not going to do is bury him on the bench because he’s out there trying to do the right thing for the team,’’ Williams said. "I think that would hurt him more than anything. I’m going play him through his mistakes and it’s going to help our program two or three years from now.’’

Sounds like special treatment. Williams has no problems pulling Miller.

Two or three years from now? Who can wait that long? We need to win now! Let's give up on the guy and move on already, I mean it has been almost 20 games already. Geesh

(btw nice job on wwl the other night. way to represent)

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    My definition of a slasher must be a little different. My view of a Slasher is someone with off ball skills. Someone who can run around a screen and curl to the basket and shoot. No one should deny Rivers ability to the get by his man, but that's all he has right now.
    What you described sounds more like a "cutter", or a spot up shooter. "Slasher" was always someone who could get to the rim, get fouled and/or finish. Corey Maggette used to be real good at that. Wade is. EGO is. Young CP3.

When and if all the talent gets on the floor, you'll see everybody's game raised a notch. Even the coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    What you described sounds more like a "cutter", or a spot up shooter. "Slasher" was always someone who could get to the rim, get fouled and/or finish. Corey Maggette used to be real good at that. Wade is. EGO is. Young CP3.

When and if all the talent gets on the floor, you'll see everybody's game raised a notch. Even the coaching.
    I stand corrected than. Makes sense, but slash and cut are a little to similar to be describing such a different roles. Ehhh. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    He needs to play like he does in 2k13 where he can do it all.
    I KNOW RIGHTTTT. Its so easy to score with that dude except he cant finish very well
    Ballin

Just wait for Rivers 2k14 "a Rivers runs through it". Beast

Thread Information