Pelicans Report

Thread: The Kobe Assist

The Kobe Assist

I have been screaming for this to be tracked forever, and now it might be, with the name "Kobe Assist"

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ic-kobe-assist

Long story short, is that a guy who gets to the bucket, drawing three defenders in the process, misses a shot- only to have his teammate put it back for an easy dunk/layup should get credited for more than just a missed shot. Yes, he missed the shot but he pulled the defense out of position and created an easy opportunity for a wide open teammate. How different is that from an assist?

Derrick Rose had 5-6 of these a game, which was one of the reasons Boozer's numbers were actually good when he was on the floor with Rose.

Anyway, with regard to how this relates to our team- I think Rivers leads the team in Kobe assists. He had two that I could remember last night where he got to the rack, missed and either Lopez or Anderson had easy layups. I am not arguing Rivers is even an average NBA player at this point, far from it, but shouldn't this count on the pros side (against the growing list of cons)?

Just food for thought
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I have been screaming for this to be tracked forever, and now it might be, with the name "Kobe Assist"

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ic-kobe-assist

Long story short, is that a guy who gets to the bucket, drawing three defenders in the process, misses a shot- only to have his teammate put it back for an easy dunk/layup should get credited for more than just a missed shot. Yes, he missed the shot but he pulled the defense out of position and created an easy opportunity for a wide open teammate. How different is that from an assist?

Derrick Rose had 5-6 of these a game, which was one of the reasons Boozer's numbers were actually good when he was on the floor with Rose.

Anyway, with regard to how this relates to our team- I think Rivers leads the team in Kobe assists. He had two that I could remember last night where he got to the rack, missed and either Lopez or Anderson had easy layups. I am not arguing Rivers is even an average NBA player at this point, far from it, but shouldn't this count on the pros side (against the growing list of cons)?

Just food for thought
    100 percent agree, I don't think anyone can argue that the kid can't get to the basket. He does need to learn how to finish, instead of throwing the ball off the backboard though. No one can deny that Rivers has talent and a lightning first step. He just needs to learn how to finish, especially with his left.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Same thing goes for how a player should get an assist if he gets a guy to the stripe and he converts both.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Same thing goes for how a player should get an assist if he gets a guy to the stripe and he converts both.
    This they do actually keep track of. I also think an assist for a three-pointer should count differently than an assist for a two pointer. Point is, that there are so many variables to a game, and there are still ways to go when it comes to figuring out how to measure productivity, but one thing is for sure- simple stats are beyond worthless

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    100 percent agree, I don't think anyone can argue that the kid can't get to the basket. He does need to learn how to finish, instead of throwing the ball off the backboard though. No one can deny that Rivers has talent and a lightning first step. He just needs to learn how to finish, especially with his left.
    Rivers needs to develop a shot. He passed up many open looks and forced the drive to the basket last night. He is not finishing and he is taking a physical beating. He is as raw as they come and needs a ton of work in the offseason (including adding some muscle to his body).

His best games so far were when he hit a couple from deep and gained some confidence throughout the game. It caused defenders to close on him and gave him a chance to get by the D and face less pressure down low. That's where it all seems to work for him.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Rivers leaves so many good looks on the court because he is constantly catching the ball with his back to the basket, 26 feet away.

That is so frustrating. Also, anyone notice we are always running him off of screens to get him open, why is that?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Rivers leaves so many good looks on the court because he is constantly catching the ball with his back to the basket, 26 feet away.

That is so frustrating. Also, anyone notice we are always running him off of screens to get him open, why is that?
    He's quick enough to get to the ball without them. He should be screened AFTER he has the rock. He's still solid off the pick and roll.

Do they have a metric for hockey assist?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Would be nice to have a "pass-to-assist" stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    NBA 2K13 agrees.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I think the Kobe assist is helped alot by Kobe's or any style of shooting style which allows the ball to bounce off the rim in certain ways more often that can make it easier for teamates to rebound or putback

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I always wondered about that especially when CP was here.
    Last edited by wuggie; 12-10-2012 at 01:03 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    NBA 2K13 agrees.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I agree that this needs to be an official statistic, but IMO the hockey assist needs to be added before this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Some teams keep that information internally. There are a ton of stats that teams use that they never publicize or let any other team know.

Thread Information