Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Attn. National Media: Pelicans IS Part of New Orleans Sports History {merged}

Attn. National Media: Pelicans IS Part of New Orleans Sports History {merged}

I thought about posting this below, but maybe it would get lost in the clutter. Merge if you like, but I think it deserves a separate post. It's more about towns and their sports franchises, not simply a name to sell merchandise and get national media all ginned-up.

Leave it up to ESPN to stoke the fire of cynicism towards this town and it's sports teams. The endless highlights of clean, legal hits while talking about how dirty and corrupt our Saints are and always have been, meanwhile 49ers level head shot after head shot with no peep out from the mountain. Then tonight we get a snide little know-it-all talking head saying "in what could be the most jaw-dropping name change in sports history". And then he takes a shot at Mr. Benson's age, as if that makes it a bad decision.

And to read some posts on Hornets Report you would have thought we had rebranded ourselves the Nazis or Lepers. What nonsense.

I always thought Franchise and College nicknames were something that related to the local history and culture. Krewe is fine. Voodoo as well, but both maybe too modern or too MLS. If anyone that objects to the new nickname did a little research you find that "Pelicans" was associated to one New Orleans sports franchise and this city for over 70 years. That's longer than the Knicks have been associated with NY. Longer than the Celtics have been in Boston.

I will save everyone a trip to Wikipedia and Google: The New Orleans Pelicans baseball team played at Pelican Park/Stadium from basically 1887 until 1959. 1887! Heck, The New York Yankees weren't established until 1901. Pelican Park, located on the corner of South Carrollton and Tulane (Burger King today) was home to Shoeless Joe Jackson who won a batting title in 1910.

Re-branding our team "Pelicans" IS a unique part of this city's history. Whether national sports media like it or not.

Again, contrary to the talking heads and Atlanta people, New Orleans has historically been one of the greatest sports towns in the country. Think about it. How many Super Bowls have been played here? How many Final Fours? The Fair Grounds -you know that horse track out in Gentilly is the oldest site of racing in America still in operation. Not Churchill Downs or Saratoga. Some of the greatest boxing events have taken place here from the epic 21 round John L. Sullivan v. Gentleman Jim Corbertt fight in 1892 to the Famous "No Mas" fight and Muhammad Ali regaining his Heayweight title for the second time over Leon Spinks. I am sure I have forgotten something.

So when someone from Bristol, CT mocks the name "Pelican" and the age of the franchises owner, you might want to remind them about the historical connection it has to this city's sports history and how awesome that history has been.

Or maybe if we just acted like Atlanta sports franchises and kept the name of the franchise when it arrived in town (Tri-City/St. Louis/Atlanta Hawks and Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves) ESPN would have eventually gotten around to calling us New Orleans and not Charlotte. I'd prefer to be a little more unique, take pride in our city's history and maybe be a little bit old-fashion and I am not 87 years old either.

There, I have vented.

Great thread title. I hope it lasts.

Stare into the eye of the Pelican . . . gooooooood . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Great thread title. I hope it lasts.

Stare into the eye of the Pelican . . . gooooooood . . .

Thanks, I am sure I'll get flamed by somebody.

I can appreciate the time, effort, and message behind this post.

You're clearly one of the better posters on this forum.

Great job. Go Pelicans.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    I thought about posting this below, but maybe it would get lost in the clutter. Merge if you like, but I think it deserves a separate post. It's more about towns and their sports franchises, not simply a name to sell merchandise and get national media all ginned-up.

Leave it up to ESPN to stoke the fire of cynicism towards this town and it's sports teams. The endless highlights of clean, legal hits while talking about how dirty and corrupt our Saints are and always have been, meanwhile 49ers level head shot after head shot with no peep out from the mountain. Then tonight we get a snide little know-it-all talking head saying "in what could be the most jaw-dropping name change in sports history". And then he takes a shot at Mr. Benson's age, as if that makes it a bad decision.

And to read some posts on Hornets Report you would have thought we had rebranded ourselves the Nazis or Lepers. What nonsense.

I always thought Franchise and College nicknames were something that related to the local history and culture. Krewe is fine. Voodoo as well, but both maybe too modern or too MLS. If anyone that objects to the new nickname did a little research you find that "Pelicans" was associated to one New Orleans sports franchise and this city for over 70 years. That's longer than the Knicks have been associated with NY. Longer than the Celtics have been in Boston.

I will save everyone a trip to Wikipedia and Google: The New Orleans Pelicans baseball team played at Pelican Park/Stadium from basically 1887 until 1959. 1887! Heck, The New York Yankees weren't established until 1901. Pelican Park, located on the corner of South Carrollton and Tulane (Burger King today) was home to Shoeless Joe Jackson who won a batting title in 1910.

Re-branding our team "Pelicans" IS a unique part of this city's history. Whether national sports media like it or not.

Again, contrary to the talking heads and Atlanta people, New Orleans has historically been one of the greatest sports towns in the country. Think about it. How many Super Bowls have been played here? How many Final Fours? The Fair Grounds -you know that horse track out in Gentilly is the oldest site of racing in America still in operation. Not Churchill Downs or Saratoga. Some of the greatest boxing events have taken place here from the epic 21 round John L. Sullivan v. Gentleman Jim Corbertt fight in 1892 to the Famous "No Mas" fight and Muhammad Ali regaining his Heayweight title for the second time over Leon Spinks. I am sure I have forgotten something.

So when someone from Bristol, CT mocks the name "Pelican" and the age of the franchises owner, you might want to remind them about the historical connection it has to this city's sports history and how awesome that history has been.

Or maybe if we just acted like Atlanta sports franchises and kept the name of the franchise when it arrived in town (Tri-City/St. Louis/Atlanta Hawks and Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves) ESPN would have eventually gotten around to calling us New Orleans and not Charlotte. I'd prefer to be a little more unique, take pride in our city's history and maybe be a little bit old-fashion and I am not 87 years old either.

There, I have vented.
    Great post. Really nice.

The truth is, when some people, not all, make fun of the Pelicans or Benson or a teams struggles, they are making fun of us.

Good post, I don't think the pelicans name exactly rolls of the tongue, but I'm all for it because of it's history in nola like you mention. And holy **** did that pelican just eat another bird?

Enjoyed it. I went to Pelican Park, once. and it is the state bird. I appreciate the significance as well. rather than just gimmicky sounding alliterations appealing to the lowest common denominator. and the color scheme can work in proper pallate.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post

A fitting name doesn't make it a good name. You could name a lot college teams "drunken rich kids" and it would be more accurate than the school mascot.

Pelicans are funny-looking and monumentally stupid animals. I've been around them; they are like opossums with feathers. Naming a team after them, not surprisingly, means we all have to endure the slings and arrows from the media. Get used to it. Yesterday was the tip of the iceberg.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

I like it.

Btw, there was alot of bashing when OKC came out with their name. I mean, who wants to be a Thunder? But then they went to the Finals once and nobody cares about that name anymore...
    asdfghjkl;'

To the OP, this was a great post. There needs to be more of these sensible and informed posts.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Matrix View Post
    I like it.

Btw, there was alot of bashing when OKC came out with their name. I mean, who wants to be a Thunder? But then they went to the Finals once and nobody cares about that name anymore...
    Ive seen a lot of people saying "a Thunder" trying to better prove their point, but I just want to be clear, they are not "a Thunder". They are the Thunder or a member of the Thunder. I haven't seen anyone say Dwight Howard used to be a Magic.

But I agree with your point MANY people including myself thought the name was a joke. But when they started winning games people stopped caring.

Great post Tip-Off!

Well said.
    the Legend has spoken!

Post of the year.

Colin Cowherd hates it....that's enough for me to be 100% on board.

Great post.

I really can't blame them. I agree with your post. But just I just find this name lacking.

Thanks for the history lesson. I was aware of some but not all that info. Pretty neat.

I am not necessarily for or against the name. I think it definitely parallels the city in one particular way...It is the most unique in the country.

I think it has already begun to grow on me and it will on the others. When the Thunder rolled out their rebrand I laughed and thought it was horrible. Now they are just another normal team name. So Pelicans it is and haters suck it. I personally like that everyone outside of here hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    I personally like that everyone outside of here hates it.
    Seriously, that's the best part about it.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    This is a great post Tip-Off!!! I like your argument that we are a great sports town. You could have gone even further by citing the number of professional athletes, especially football and , yes, basketball players this area has, and will continue to produce. I remember someone at ESPN or Yahoo wrote a great article back in '08 during All-Star week, highlighting what a great basketball city that we are. I am tired of outsiders constantly ignoring the amount of great basketball players that have come from here when dissing us as a basketball market. I don't see too many guys from Utah in the NBA, but somehow that is a superior market!? We are a great SPORTS market period! Let everyone else hate on us, because it only adds fuel to our fire.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I feel you guys. I kind of like that the name is associated with something local. I think it makes you take that much more pride in the team. I am not from NO, but have been a Hornets fan forever. I cant say its the name I would have picked, but I dont see myself changng teams because of it. I am thinking it will grows on me, because I aint leaving. And I think there have been name changes in the past that I cant say I thought was the best idea, but now nobody cares. Someone mentioned the Thunder. But also, when the Bullets became the Wizards, I thought that was terrible! (I still do, but I dont dwell on it) I still cant stand the name Raptors. In time I think this back lash will subside.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I feel you guys. I kind of like that the name is associated with something local. I think it makes you take that much more pride in the team. I am not from NO, but have been a Hornets fan forever. I cant say its the name I would have picked, but I dont see myself changng teams because of it. I am thinking it will grows on me, because I aint leaving. And I think there have been name changes in the past that I cant say I thought was the best idea, but now nobody cares. Someone mentioned the Thunder. But also, when the Bullets became the Wizards, I thought that was terrible! (I still do, but I dont dwell on it) I still cant stand the name Raptors. In time I think this back lash will subside.
    My thoughts exactly.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Thanks Tip nice stuff. I am from the New Orleans area and I did not know the Pelcians went back to 1887 or that Shoeless Joe Jackson played for them. Cool history.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Can i steal this and post this on my FB to shut my retarded friends up? I'll link back to here and give you credit, but if i just post the link, no one will click it.

The New Orleans Pelicans won 10 minor leagues baseball championships. Darn it... Pelicans are winners

granted the last 1 was in 1934 but we're winners

(edit: the info posted above brought to you by wikipedia... so take it for what it's worth)

Thread Information