Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Attn. National Media: Pelicans IS Part of New Orleans Sports History {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Can i steal this and post this on my FB to shut my retarded friends up? I'll link back to here and give you credit, but if i just post the link, no one will click it.
    I don't think you need my permission...but absolutely.

Can you handle "the Pelicans?"

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...e-the-pelicans

Here's an interview with ESPN discussing the name.

Thought you guys might want to see ESPN reaching out to locals, and to one of us here at Hornets Report, to see what's up with Pelicans.

What's not included here was the writer's praise for the name. He said it could be has favorite brand once it all comes together.

There's light out there, people.

Enjoy, and I hope you feel that your concerns have been considered and reflected in this portion of the interview reproduced here.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I think you all know my feelings on the branding. I can't wait to see the logo and uniforms.
    Wherehappens.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Great post. Lots of historical connection there. Then on top of that, the team colors will be the same as the New Orleans city flag. I'm digging the name & inevitable rebranding more and more.

Chris Trew / Terp 2 it Penuckle's Avatar
    Well done, Jason.
    Trew 2 the Game: New column + podcast every Tuesday on BourbonStShots.com and Itsneworleans.com

Co-founder of The New Movement/Studio8.net
    http://twitter.com/christrew

So the point is because a minor league team was named the Pelicans decades ago it's a good name now?

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    So the point is because a minor league team was named the Pelicans decades ago it's a good name now?
    If you're narrow minded, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...e-the-pelicans

Here's an interview with ESPN discussing the name.

Thought you guys might want to see ESPN reaching out to locals, and to one of us here at Hornets Report, to see what's up with Pelicans.

What's not included here was the writer's praise for the name. He said it could be has favorite brand once it all comes together.

There's light out there, people.

Enjoy, and I hope you feel that your concerns have been considered and reflected in this portion of the interview reproduced here.
    Very nice.

That's what I got out of it to.

....eh

No, I think the point is it's part of our culture and history as we define it. And trust me, I have taken this thing waaaay too seriously. It's a name.

But take the nickname Krewe for instance. Mardi Gras, to some extent has been hijacked by tourist and so the definition of Mardi Gras has been redifined by out-of-towners - either A. expose yourself for beads (tourist-flashing-other tourists) or B. Get slobberknockered every night or C. All of the above. So when I hear CBS/New York talking heads saying it needs to be Krewe or something to that extent, I cringe because I don't A. expose myself or B. get slobberknockered every night. In fact, I take my 7yo daughter and family to the parades and we have a blast. Someone from not here asked me how I could possibly take my daughter to a Mardi Gras parade and I have to explain to him it's not an MTV Music Awards Show.

So when I say Pelicans is great for our New Orleans NBA team, I do because our "Pelicans" and what it means to us, will not ever be hijacked. Who cares about a Pelican? We do, because it's ours.

I can't wait to get my Pelicans t-shirt and hat. Sport them around Bama.

Great post OP. Once we see the logo and colors its going to be fish, birds, whatever for everyone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    No, I think the point is it's part of our culture and history as we define it. And trust me, I have taken this thing waaaay too seriously. It's a name.

But take the nickname Krewe for instance. Mardi Gras, to some extent has been hijacked by tourist and so the definition of Mardi Gras has been redifined by out-of-towners - either A. expose yourself for beads (tourist-flashing-other tourists) or B. Get slobberknockered every night or C. All of the above. So when I hear CBS/New York talking heads saying it needs to be Krewe or something to that extent, I cringe because I don't A. expose myself or B. get slobberknockered every night. In fact, I take my 7yo daughter and family to the parades and we have a blast. Someone from not here asked me how I could possibly take my daughter to a Mardi Gras parade and I have to explain to him it's not an MTV Music Awards Show.

So when I say Pelicans is great for our New Orleans NBA team, I do because our "Pelicans" and what it means to us, will not ever be hijacked. Who cares about a Pelican? We do, because it's ours.
    There's a reason nobody "hi-jacks" Pelicans. I want the NOLA pride that you speak of without compromising taste. From my perspective Pelicans is distasteful for a NBA team.

42.....nice man. Way to represent.

Tip-off, clean out your messages.

There's a reason nobody "hi-jacks" Pelicans. I want the NOLA pride that you speak of without compromising taste. From my perspective Pelicans is distasteful for a NBA team.
    So what name would not be compromising taste? (I can't be bothered to search through your posts...) I'd prefer Krewe, because despite the valid points Tip-Off made it IS a uniquely New Orleans thing. Brass is fine, although it feels like "settling" for the closest thing to Jazz. I also like Voodoo, but it seems a little cheesy. The fact that it would actually freak out religious nutjobs is a major plus though. I just have a really hard time seeing why Pelicans is such a terrible name like you make it out to be. If it was Bounce or Spirit or Arc Angels I could see the outrage, but Pelicans? Really?

Great post Tip-Off. I really hope this sticks, I LOVE the hate and cynicism. Bring it on, in two years they'll be forced to say Pelicans all the time whether they like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnbY View Post
    So what name would not be compromising taste? (I can't be bothered to search through your posts...) I'd prefer Krewe, because despite the valid points Tip-Off made it IS a uniquely New Orleans thing. Brass is fine, although it feels like "settling" for the closest thing to Jazz. I also like Voodoo, but it seems a little cheesy. The fact that it would actually freak out religious nutjobs is a major plus though. I just have a really hard time seeing why Pelicans is such a terrible name like you make it out to be. If it was Bounce or Spirit or Arc Angels I could see the outrage, but Pelicans? Really?
    Something that doesn't sound awkard saying. Something with no more than two syllables.

Honestly I would take Bounce before Pelicans.

Something that doesn't sound awkard saying. Something with no more than two syllables.

Pelicans will be often shortened to "Pels"

What do the Penguins do? Pens I guess?

That says it all as far as I'm concerned, I'm just happy Benson doesn't feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    What do the Penguins do? Pens I guess?
    two syllables, so always "penguins."

...we get to go McDonalds
    I can't see people shortening it to Pels. I think they'll just be "pelicans"

BTW, there's no right or wrong answer to "is this is a good name for a basketball team from new orleans?" This is all opinion. Big Shot or Coke? Argue all you want but at the end of the day, its opinion.

I don't like the name, but I'll actually be cool with it if they go with a cartoonish mascot -- like the worlds fair pelican guy. I don't want a menacing pelican as a mascot. Then again, I'll withhold judgment til I see the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I can't see people shortening it to Pels. I think they'll just be "pelicans"

BTW, there's no right or wrong answer to "is this is a good name for a basketball team from new orleans?" This is all opinion. Big Shot or Coke? Argue all you want but at the end of the day, its opinion.

I don't like the name, but I'll actually be cool with it if they go with a cartoonish mascot -- like the worlds fair pelican guy. I don't want a menacing pelican as a mascot. Then again, I'll withhold judgment til I see the final product.
    I'm thinking a mascot like the Oregon Duck, only, with a much much larger beak.

People won't like pronouncing "Pelican" all the time. I guarantee that.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Tip-off, clean out your messages.
    Sorry, didn't know about that

Thread Information