Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stern talks about Hornets, Tom Benson

Stern talks about Hornets, Tom Benson

NBA Commissioner David Stern will be in New Orleans on Wednesday to attend the New Orleans Hornets-Lakers game at the New Orleans Arena. In a phone interview Tuesday afternoon, he talked about his relationship with owner Tom Benson, the Chris Paul for Eric Gordon trade and why he likes New Orleans so much and why he supported the Hornets remaining in the Crescent City.

T-P: It’s still early but do you have any concerns about attendance at the Arena?

Stern: You know, what you’re suffering from is the team that doesn’t quite have his identity together yet and is losing games. So the proposition for walk-up is not as compelling as it might otherwise had been, but I have no concerns. Putting together a winning streak, I’m sure your fans will be ready to go. Between Anthony Davis and Eric Gordon, it’s easy to see that you had a lot of players who were figured for backup roles being forced up to starting. That’s a good thing because they get a chance to develop and show you what they have. We’re getting an opportunity to see all kinds of interesting players. I think in a normal course of events, I think you might have had the sixth man, the Rookie of the Year and lot of other things. Look at us we got all kind of teams that are having issues. Steve Nash for the Lakers, Andrew Bynum for the 76ers, Eric Gordon for the Hornets.

Q: New message boards have been put up on each side of the Arena and plans are already in place for upgrades to the building. What are the benefits you see in those improvements?

Stern: At the end of the day, the message boards outside make everyone know that’s the Arena. Presumably with those sort of iconic structures it’s going help people identify the Arena and I think make a big naming rights sponsor even more anxious to have their company represented there. It also gives an opportunity for partners to express themselves. On the whole arena itself, it’s about the fan experience. Whether it’s the entertainment option, the dining options, the suite level being renovated. ... The governor helped us secure it and I’m sure it’s going to be make the experience of the Arena better than what it is.

Q: Do you hope to get a naming rights sponsor soon?
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Not sure why I got excited when I saw David Stern specifically mention the north shore. But it happened.

eww Stern..... can't wait until he is gone
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Re: Stern talks about Hornets, Tom Benson

I love Stern for his personal mission to save the NBA in New Orleans

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    eww Stern..... can't wait until he is gone
    Yeah, I can't stand that guy for putting his own neck on the line just to ensure that this franchise sold to a local owner that wanted to keep the team in this city. Never mind the conspiracy theory that he rigged the lottery for us to win the Davis sweepstakes. What a total d-bag! You know what... We should just kill him! Yeah!!!

You kidding me bro? Get out of here with that weak ****!

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Yeah, I can't stand that guy for putting his own neck on the line just to ensure that this franchise sold to a local owner that wanted to keep the team in this city. Never mind the conspiracy theory that he rigged the lottery for us to win the Davis sweepstakes. What a total d-bag! You know what... We should just kill him! Yeah!!!

^^^^^this!

Am I kidding you, who the hell are you for me to be kidding? Stern is the worst sports commissioner out, worse than Goodell, you're {Mod edit-no personal attacks} and a homer which is why you don't see that....

I didn't care where the Franchise went as far as location, and just because there is a conspiracy theory(which there is one every year in the lottery) I should like him?

Please just don't reply, good...? GOOD

post of the day?
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansBBall View Post
    ^^^^^this!
    This what.... you would have responded word for word on what he said, if he didn't say it?

Such ignorance in this thread, and forum as a whole, lol

Didn't the whole Spurs organization get fined $250,000 for a coach coaching??

Stern abuses his power quite often, just because he kept basketball in New Orleans doesn't mean im going to throw out the other **** he has done in his tenure as commish

Am I kidding you, who the hell are you for me to be kidding? Stern is the worst sports commissioner out, worse than Goodell, you're ignorant and a homer which is why you don't see that....

I didn't care where the Franchise went as far as location, and just because there is a conspiracy theory(which there is one every year in the lottery) I should like him?

Please just don't reply, good...? GOOD
    Fine, I won't reply. Wait... Damn! My bad man... Oh well, now that I already started, I guess I should finish. Yeah? Good? Good...

We wouldn't even have an NBA team in this city if it wasn't for Stern. Say what you want, but that alone makes him a saint in my book - same category as Paul Tagliabu. Praise the man!{Mod edit-no personal attacks}

Last edited by nolaslim213; 12-05-2012 at 01:01 AM.

I personally hope he gets a standing ovation tomorrow night...he deserves our gratitude

This what.... you would have responded word for word on what he said, if he didn't say it?
    Whoa Nellie.......don't get your panties in a bunch...

He is NOT the worst. He has his moments but so did each of our parents. Are they THE WORST? No. So we all will agree to disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansBBall View Post
    Whoa Nellie.......don't get your panties in a bunch...

He is NOT the worst. He has his moments but so did each of our parents. Are they THE WORST? No. So we all will agree to disagree...
    So who is the worst?

Uh....Vinny .....don't refer to "the New Orleans fan base" as a joke. You are referencing a lot of people. Thats ignorant.......

Tread lightly sir......lightly.

So who is the worst?
    might I nominate NHL commissioner Gary Bettman?

how many times has there been work stopages in the NHL under his watch? Didn't a whole season go bye-bye 1ce?

NHL Commish.... But that's my opinion.

Vinny, you lack information.

Bettman by far.

Stern has long run his course as a good commissioner. He lets his ego make decision for him and he hasn't done much to fix the true problems with the sport.

I'm thankful for having him make it a personal issue to save basketball here. However that doesn't make up for all the other things he has been apart of or his unwillingness to move the sport to becoming a better product. Hopefully Silver is better, but I highly doubt it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not a fan of some of his decisions. Like forcing players to dress in suits on the sidelines because he didn't want to see people wearing chains, baggy jeans, or whatever. But he's done right by New Orleans, even if it was to help his own image. I can't discount the result. He's a big reason the Hornets came back to New Orleans and they didn't sell to whats his face that wanted to take the team to Anaheim or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not a fan of some of his decisions. Like forcing players to dress in suits on the sidelines because he didn't want to see people wearing chains, baggy jeans, or whatever. But he's done right by New Orleans, even if it was to help his own image. I can't discount the result. He's a big reason the Hornets came back to New Orleans and they didn't sell to whats his face that wanted to take the team to Anaheim or whatever.
    Really... I like that they have to wear suits. (Though it is really strange to see AI in a suit) For one, the majority of your audience that attends games are wealthy and two, these guys are professionals that make millions of dollars.

He's done a great job in my opinion. I like the lottery, most of the new rules, the marketing. The only problem I have with the NBA is that its still dominated by big markets, the new CBA did nothing to stop that, and the number of games in a season is too many for the average fan to care really care about. lower it to 54 and have teams only play on certain days to make games more meaningful. Thats my opinion.

Also best of 7 should be best of 5 until the semifinals.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

Rookie
    David Stern should get a very long and loud standing ovation. He did exactly what he said he would do to keep the Hornets in New Orleans. He did his homework and executed his game plan to perfection. Not to mention he set the National Media straight. He got the league to buy the Hornets which was no easy task. He brought in New Orleans native Jack Spurling and with his herculian effort was able to sell 10,000 season tickets and incresed Corporate Sponsorship with out an owner and no guarantee the team was here to stay. He killed the first trade for Chris Paul which would have netted us with players like Lamar Odom who would have been a cancer in the locker room and would not have played here. He got the books cleaned up from the previous ownership which was a disaster. It took all of these calculated moves and more for the team to become attractive enough for local buyer Tom Benson to purchase the franchise. Not to mention he got the 2014 All Star Game awarded to New Orleans even with the game being played here in 2009. I can't be in attendance but I hope it is packed tonight and the fans give David Stern a very long and loud standing ovation. He walked the talk when it came to keeping the Hornets in New Orleans. Thank you Mr. Stern for a job well done!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DallasHornet View Post
    David Stern should get a very long and loud standing ovation. He did exactly what he said he would do to keep the Hornets in New Orleans. He did his homework and executed his game plan to perfection. Not to mention he set the National Media straight. He got the league to buy the Hornets which was no easy task. He brought in New Orleans native Jack Spurling and with his herculian effort was able to sell 10,000 season tickets and incresed Corporate Sponsorship with out an owner and no guarantee the team was here to stay. He killed the first trade for Chris Paul which would have netted us with players like Lamar Odom who would have been a cancer in the locker room and would not have played here. He got the books cleaned up from the previous ownership which was a disaster. It took all of these calculated moves and more for the team to become attractive enough for local buyer Tom Benson to purchase the franchise. Not to mention he got the 2014 All Star Game awarded to New Orleans even with the game being played here in 2009. I can't be in attendance but I hope it is packed tonight and the fans give David Stern a very long and loud standing ovation. He walked the talk when it came to keeping the Hornets in New Orleans. Thank you Mr. Stern for a job well done!!!!
    I hope the standing ovation overrules the boo's he'll likely get from the Lakers fans. A lot of them are still salty about that Chris Paul thing.

Thread Information