Pelicans Report

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Danny Granger, you went to high school in Metairie, college in New Mexico, and play in Indianapolis. You ain't no New Orleanian.
    that's just stupid. if you were born in raised in metairie, your'e a new orleanian.

That is stupid to say granger is not from new orleans. he is from the new orleans metro area.

Eh, if you guys say so.

Its funny when people point out this thing eats other birds whole. If you sat and watched it happen, it's not exactly very gory. It even looks painful for the Pelican and kinda sad.

Fear the mighty neck bag.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnbY View Post
    Shouldn't you be following some other tearm already?
    ooooooooooo, sizzlleeeee

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Its funny when people point out this thing eats other birds whole. If you sat and watched it happen, it's not exactly very gory. It even looks painful for the Pelican and kinda sad.

Fear the mighty neck bag.
    Gory means a quick death. That it looks painful for it too and it goes through with it just makes that pelican sadistic.

Sadistic if it did that by evil choice. The stupid thing has no choice.

I will say I've seen Brown Pelicans up close in another country. The things don't budge no matter how close you get. They are beautiful birds up close.

Now I'll go back to making fun of them.

Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

I will be cool with Pelicans especially with that red logo I've seen.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I wonder if Twittter would have become so popular if they had chosen a name that probably sounded pretty silly to quite a few folks....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Where fairies happen Contributor whoah whoah's Avatar
    Danny Granger, you went to high school in Metairie, college in New Mexico, and play in Indianapolis. You ain't no New Orleanian.
    This may be one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this site....
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3
    you eat so good. you're always gonna eat good. I kid a lot, everything is spicy, the fruit loops even have some kick to em
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James
    We played pretty good defense. We bottled him [Paul] up, but with eyes in the back of his head, he found David West"

Quote Originally Posted by whoah whoah View Post
    This may be one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this site....
    I was saying it out of frustration. I'm tired of the constant hate the brand is getting, especially from a vocal majority. He is a New Orleanian. I apologize for being so "dumb."

There, go back to your everyday lives.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    I was saying it out of frustration. I'm tired of the constant hate the brand is getting, especially from a vocal majority. He is a New Orleanian. I apologize for being so "dumb."

There, go back to your everyday lives.
    If the best they can do is call you "dumb' then you shouldn't care what they think anyway.

Its amazing how sensitive people are on this forum...sticks and stones people!! LOL.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Time to get on topic or close the thread.

From the ESPN Weekend Dime:

1. I tried. I really did. I wanted so badly to say something smarter about the New Orleans Hornets' proposed adoption of the nickname Pelicans than former Orlando Magic beat man Jerry Brewer's glorious zinger. But Brewer's tweet this week was perfect: "Who the hell thought Pelicans was a good name for an NBA team? It's not even a good name for a pelican." I'm well aware that pelicans are the state bird of Louisiana, but c'mon. We can assume this whole New Orleans Pelicans concept stems from the fact that new Hornets owner Tom Benson owns the rights to the nickname Pelicans and thus might have something to gain financially from the switch. The nicest thing you can say about the whole plan is that the Hornets, according to league sources, have continued to beg the Utah Jazz to relinquish the nickname they kept when the New Orleans Jazz relocated to Salt Lake City in 1979.
    Interesting. I doubt it happens, but it gives those Pelicans rebrandists a reason to believe.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Hall of Famer
    Reading this makes me want New Orleans to get a MLB team, or at the very least, a Zephyrs rebrand. "Pelicans" & baseball just seems to fit so well.

HR Sim League

I like it for baseball. For professional basketball is sounds utterly ridiculous. Same for pro football. College basketball and football not so much. Don't know exactly why that is.

The Franchise
    I don't get why a name sounds better for one sport to another or from college sport to pro sport?
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sometimes I wonder if New Orleans received our NFL franchise in today's times and said we were going to call them "the saints" what kind of reaction people would have. I feel pretty certain that it would be a pretty negative response for the most part from the majority of the country. Just saying, an intimidating mascot doesn't mean an intimidating team...

GEAUX PELICANS

Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

I'm with lucky. I think pelicans is an excellent name for a team like the zephyrs but an absolute horrible name for an NBA team. I can't really explain why either

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    I don't get why a name sounds better for one sport to another or from college sport to pro sport?
    My theory is that name seems to fit the younger atmosphere, so that covers jr. high/high school/college. Baseball you tend to think of it as more a family outing, daytime event with lots of kids.

Basketball seems more adult oriented with 99% of all the games occuring at night, and pro football is full adult male testosterone, so it just doesn't register in my brain as a good name for those sports. Apparently many others agree.

Thats my stab at it.

It has nothing do with Pelicans having been presented a baseball team initially?

Nothing to do with a pre-conception?

Quote Originally Posted by moubre4 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if New Orleans received our NFL franchise in today's times and said we were going to call them "the saints" what kind of reaction people would have. I feel pretty certain that it would be a pretty negative response for the most part from the majority of the country. Just saying, an intimidating mascot doesn't mean an intimidating team...

GEAUX PELICANS
    "Saints" still has a quality of strength and discipline. The only bad NFL name: Texans. Talk about redundant.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    "Saints" still has a quality of strength and discipline. The only bad NFL name: Texans. Talk about redundant.
    Dolphins? Jets? PACKERS?
    Wherehappens.

Thread Information