Pelicans Report

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Re: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    P-Can? As if our play on the court doesn't remind people of toilets enough?
    Well, that's a different interpretation. A lot of people in the NOLA area pronounce pecan like "pee-can".

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    A lot of people in the NOLA area pronounce pecan like "pee-can".
    don't you mean outside of NOLA/the south? I have never heard anyone in the area pronounce it that way, in fact, in my experience "pee-can" is the more northeastern pronunciation typically and "puh-cahn" is most often the southern one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    P-Can? As if our play on the court doesn't remind people of toilets enough?
    Shouldn't you be following some other tearm already?

Definitely "puh-cahn" around the NOLA area...

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    So because the name has not been used in 35 years, doesn't mean that the history of the name dies.
    Most people walking around today don't have any historic memories of this long gone MINOR league baseball team. First thing comes to mind when they hear Pelicans is the way it sounds with regards to MAJOR league basketball franchise. It just doesn't fit this game. Why? I dunno but it just doesn't.

History notwithstanding it does fit any baseball team though. Maybe naming a team after a goofy looking bird fits an outdoor, slow-paced game rather than an indoor, younger/hipper crowd, fast-paced game. Think about this. What if we just got a new NFL franchise. Would you be fine calling them the Pelicans?

Gerrity found two guys at last nights game that created their own Pelicans shirsey.

http://twitter.com/GerrityJoe/status...158080/photo/1

Re: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    don't you mean outside of NOLA/the south? I have never heard anyone in the area pronounce it that way, in fact, in my experience "pee-can" is the more northeastern pronunciation typically and "puh-cahn" is most often the southern one.
    Whichever. I call it "pa-khan" and just get annoyed when people say it different (including my own family). It seems 50/50 how people say it in my experience. Meh.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

There's a deadspin article that may change some minds... but I can't post it here b/c it has the most foul of foul language in the title.

Mods is there a safe way I can link the article w/o getting a warning? It's a really good article on why Pelicans would actually be the best name in the NBA

here's a clean section from the deadspin article that I can't link due to foul language
    But the pelican isn't just a mindless see-it-and-eat-it hunter, oh no. They work together. A bunch of pelicans will practice "cooperative fishing," herding fish into a central area so they can take turns dive-bombing the prey. Hear that, rest of the NBA? Pelicans work as a team.

They're so noble, they're pretty much deities. During times of famine, it was said, the mother pelican would draw her own blood to feed her young, and the early church quickly adopted the pelican as a symbol for the Christ. Do you see anyone worshipping a seahawk? You do not.

We've already established that a pelican's offense is unmatched. But they're selfless defenders as well. Here's a New York Times story from 1910, about a "marauding weasel" that found its way into the pigeon coop at the Central Park Zoo. Did the zoo's pelicans, Hildalgo Pete, Signor Gomez, and Sanchez Hoolihoo, run away? Did they stare helplessly as the weasel trespassed on their property and helped itself to a meal? They did not. They chased the weasel away from the pigeons, and cornering it against a mesh fence, beat it to death. "Even after the animal was dead the two pelicans…kept jabbing their bills at it."

Hidalgo Pete suffered a broken wing in the melee, but that's just what pelicans do. They give up their own bodies to protect their court. There's no way New Orleans will lose a home game.
    Last edited by rt0307; 12-06-2012 at 06:22 PM.

not sure if it has been posted but..

Danny Granger ‏@dgranger33:
    The New Orleans Pelicans?!?! As a native New Orleanian all I can do is Smh

http://twitter.com/dgranger33/status/276770327000932352

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    There's a deadspin article that may change some minds... but I can't post it here b/c it has the most foul of foul language in the title.

Mods is there a safe way I can link the article w/o getting a warning? It's a really good article on why Pelicans would actually be the best name in the NBA
    I read the article....still don't like the name BUT that article is HILARIOUS!!

Slidell native Chris Duhon, who started Wednesday at point guard for the Hornets, said it will be interesting to see how the change develops.

"It will be interesting to see how the mascot will look and the uniforms,’’ Duhon said. "It’s the state bird, so it makes sense.’

Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    not sure if it has been posted but..

Danny Granger ‏@dgranger33:
    The New Orleans Pelicans?!?! As a native New Orleanian all I can do is Smh

http://twitter.com/dgranger33/status/276770327000932352
    More will follow

Danny Granger, you went to high school in Metairie, college in New Mexico, and play in Indianapolis. You ain't no New Orleanian.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Danny Granger, you went to high school in Metairie, college in New Mexico, and play in Indianapolis. You ain't no New Orleanian.
    Didn't he not get recruited by anyone down here?

CP3 also said he hates the name Pelicans.

Whatever the name ends up being, I hope they dont leak it again because I want there to be a giant brand release party in championship square with free beer

That Deadspin article had me cracking up and pumped up at the same time. Awesome stuff.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B504ever View Post
    CP3 also said he hates the name Pelicans.
    Oh well in THAT case.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxSaints53 View Post
    That Deadspin article had me cracking up and pumped up at the same time. Awesome stuff.
    exactly my response when I read it

Quote Originally Posted by CarnbY View Post
    Shouldn't you be following some other tearm already?
    Why on earth would I do that?
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I think some that dislike the name are actaully ok with the pelicans but the problem is they are worried how other people will look the team. The thing is we're Louisiana, not such and such, so who gives a flying(pun intended) #%*%? Let ESPN and Mary Sue keep their opinions to themselves, people are going to think what they want and you can't control that so don't worry about it dudes.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    I think some that dislike the name are actaully ok with the pelicans but the problem is they are worried how other people will look the team. The thing is we're Louisiana, not such and such, so who gives a flying(pun intended) #%*%? Let ESPN and Mary Sue keep their opinions to themselves, people are going to think what they want and you can't control that so don't worry about it dudes.

I hope it's the other way around. I just don't care for the name. Others' opinions have no influence over mine.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    And surprisingly enough, not ALL ESPN is pointing and laughing. Who cares what they think though. Haha.

3. Fact or Fiction: You approve of the "New Orleans Pelicans" name change.

Haberstroh: Fact. Not only do I approve but I endorse it. Pelicans are vicious, bloodthirsty animals. Don't believe me? Watch this. I'm looking at you, Dwyane and LeBron.

Wallace: Fiction. I've spent many years in Louisiana, having attended college and worked my first reporting job there. So I do have some emotion invested here. I don't like Pelicans. I'd instead prefer something a bit more distinct, like the Satchmo(e)s or the Jubilees.

Windhorst: Fact. The outrage is silly; most new nicknames seem odd at first. People didn't like "Thunder," either. Can you imagine if Twitter had been around when "Knickerbockers" or "Lakers" were announced? Back in the '80s, people made fun of "Heat." If the Pelicans become a good team, people will love it.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/mia...at-heat-730-et

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...-pelicians.nba

Thread Information