.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 830

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

  1. #576
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    186
    This is too funny, had to post:

    Zac Kimble ‏@ZacKimble
    I heard people asking how they would draw a pelican as a fleur de lis so I did a sketch @LarryHolder @JeffDuncanTP
    http://pic.twitter.com/dFOKMizT

    Last edited by james_k_p; 12-05-2012 at 01:16 PM.

  2. #577
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySunday View Post
    If they end up not liking the name we could end up with something far worse....
    Now THAT is a point.
    __________
    "Aime la vťritť, mais pardonne ŗ l'erreur." - FranÁois-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  3. #578
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySunday View Post
    If they end up not liking the name we could end up with something far worse....
    Well, if you let some people tell it, apparently there isn't anything worse.

  4. #579
    A few Fleur De P's (as 42 called it) Pelican can easily turn into a Fleur De Lis.



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock-illustration-13646769-pelican-fleur-de-lis.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	4510  

  5. #580
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,288
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySunday View Post
    If they end up not liking the name we could end up with something far worse....
    Gayle Benson: I told you we should've been the Spirit.

    Tom: I guess you were right.
    Now I do voice overs. Finally!

  6. #581
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Gayle Benson: I told you we should've been the Spirit.

    Tom: I guess you were right.
    Have mercy.

  7. #582
    hahahahah. I didn't realize how much this was blowing up on facebook. I think it's safe to say everyone I know hates it!! Pretty funny.

  8. #583
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,938
    Honestly why do we need a Fleur De Lis that has something to do with a Pelican?



    That looks fine.
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  9. #584
    Problem is...NBA franchise names have a different vibe. If you were talking about a New Orleans baseball franchise, Pelicans would be a great pick. Lots of bird names in the MLB, and baseball is a slow-moving, pastoral sport. These days NBA is urban and slick. Name trends over last twenty years go away from animal symbols and more towards things like the Magic, Thunder and Heat. Okay, Bobcats is an exception, but that to me is the worst name in the league.

    Obviously, it kills all of us that our true and best name--and one of the best names in the league--is being held hostage in Salt Lake City. But if we can't have the Jazz moniker back (sob!), and I guess we can't, then go with something a little hipper, like VooDoo or Brass, both or even Krewe or Carnival, any of which, to me, would be better than the Pels, which sounds very old-timey...

  10. #585
    Bang! Contributor PatrickJr17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    River Ridge, La
    Posts
    439
    I just want to say something really quickly. Take it, disect it, hate it, cry about it, either way I dont care.

    Arguments that matter when renaming a team:

    Apparel Revenue
    Television Revenue
    Ticket Sales
    Sponsors


    Apparel Revenue - May not fare so well nationally, but I'm sure the kiddo's would love to sport a Pelicans hat. Its different, its new, and it says NBA on it. If its a SnapBack and the right colors, many people are going to buy it. Especially if it has a little cartoony looking character on it. Same goes with the shirts.

    Television Revenue - The NBA is a PLAYER driven league. A team name truly does not matter when it comes to wanting to watch guys like Durant, Lebron, Chris Paul, Kobe, and hopefully Anthony Davis. Tell me all about how well the Cavs rate on television these days, post lebron era.

    Ticket Sales - I truly don't see how the name is going to affect ticket sales in any way. If anything I think more people would get behind it because its "New Orleans". Our city has proven that if you represent us, and love us, we will certainly love you back. Locals influence ticket sales, and the big teams are going to draw regardless of our name. If someone is a Laker fan living in New Orleans, they are still going to go to the Laker game regardless of if theyre playing the Hornets, Pelicans, Brass, or Krewe.

    Sponsors - Sponsors will put their name on anything that they can make money off of. If the team is doing well, or their future looks promising, sponsors are going to continue to roll in. Tom Benson, or his BoG, know what he/they are doing when it comes to running a franchise, and this has shown in many business operations with the Saints and Hornets.


    I really have been rambling to some extent, but I just wanted to show in a nutshell, that the National media and the fans from outside of New Orleans, dont really matter in a name change. So for everyone being snipey and ....well, standoffish. Eat spit. Buy the Hornets Jerseys/Apparel you love, that the NBA will probably still sell, and the Pelicans will share that revenue with the rest of the NBA regardless, in the meantime bringing in new fans.

  11. #586
    U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    3,168
    A few reactions from people in social media who got to see the logo idea after railing on name:

    "That logo might actually make me change my mind. I'd change the colors up to make it Mardi Gras-themed, though."

    "Seeing "Pelicans" in plain text just looked boring. Dat looks cool."

    "New Orleans Pelicans... Ok, so this is not so bad"

    "cooler than I predicted but a little busy. Nice"

    To Da Throne...you're complaining about how ESPN, national fans, and people you know are hating the name and that "there's a reason why." I'm contending that a large part of the reason why is because there is no brand attached to it, although you say that a brand has no effect on the name. So when you think of the Lakers' name, do you just think of it in plain 12 point Times New Roman, do you think about a mythical person called a Laker, or do you think about the regal purple and gold, block italic font that is used with the team name? Branding definitely goes hand in hand with a name.

    Some people say that the mascot is stupid because it is perceived as a goofy, cartoony bird and not "fierce." Well, what's the comeback for a Nugget? A Celtic? A Laker (WTH is that anyway)? A Net? Outside of the Celtics, none of these teams even use their actual mascot, just the name itself, and they intimidate just fine.

    I think it's unfortunate that just the name by itself was leaked...kind of a PR blunder IMO. Should have had more rolled out at one time...logo, local history, etc.

  12. #587
    Bang! Contributor PatrickJr17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    River Ridge, La
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    A few reactions from people in social media who got to see the logo idea after railing on name:

    "That logo might actually make me change my mind. I'd change the colors up to make it Mardi Gras-themed, though."

    "Seeing "Pelicans" in plain text just looked boring. Dat looks cool."

    "New Orleans Pelicans... Ok, so this is not so bad"

    "cooler than I predicted but a little busy. Nice"

    To Da Throne...you're complaining about how ESPN, national fans, and people you know are hating the name and that "there's a reason why." I'm contending that a large part of the reason why is because there is no brand attached to it, although you say that a brand has no effect on the name. So when you think of the Lakers' name, do you just think of it in plain 12 point Times New Roman, do you think about a mythical person called a Laker, or do you think about the regal purple and gold, block italic font that is used with the team name? Branding definitely goes hand in hand with a name.

    Some people say that the mascot is stupid because it is perceived as a goofy, cartoony bird and not "fierce." Well, what's the comeback for a Nugget? A Celtic? A Laker (WTH is that anyway)? A Net? Outside of the Celtics, none of these teams even use their actual mascot, just the name itself, and they intimidate just fine.

    I think it's unfortunate that just the name by itself was leaked...kind of a PR blunder IMO. Should have had more rolled out at one time...logo, local history, etc.

    I couldn't agree more.

    I was going to throw so much into my post above, but I felt like I started to ramble. I feel like this way taken directly out of my head. Lol.

  13. #588
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,288
    I bet a pelican larger than the sun causing planets to explode when it flaps its wings with feathers made of plasma and a beak made of solid gold would turn a few heads.

  14. #589
    Hall of Famer Ceedee M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Down da bayou
    Posts
    914
    OMG. That's how you can tell we have a culture down here. Most of us are pretty much thinking the same way. The more people hate it, the easier it is to love it. Exactly how I been thinking. Yes!!!!

  15. #590
    Quote Originally Posted by MillŠn View Post
    Monty: "My thing has always been the name on the front of the jersey. As long as itís New Orleans, Iím happy. The league controls all that stuff. Iím pretty sure there is some local creativity going on, and thatís great. Personally, Iím more concerned with the fact that we are a New Orleans franchise, because we all care deeply about the city. As long as the team is here, Iím cool with whatever name we have.Ē

    http://www.nba.com/hornets/blog/shoo...s-lakers-12512
    Thank God Monty is the coach for this team.

  16. #591
    Pelicans is just LAME. Sorry but thats just how i feel. WEAK nick-name. VooDoo was my top choice and fitted perfectly!

  17. #592
    Wonder how many players will want out because of the name change? Any chance of EG returning was just thrown out the window.

  18. #593
    Hall of Famer Ceedee M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Down da bayou
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I can't help but laugh at people who say they won't support a team anymore because of the name, hahaha.
    I wonder why they feel a need to let it be known. I'm like, BYE! C'ya! They won't be missed. They can say hello to all the Italians that left with Belinelli and all the Mexicans that left with Gustavo and all the CP3 fans that left with Paul, and so on and so forth. The rebrand was inevitable. I am tired of walking into Walgreens, Walmart, Dollar General, etc. seeing only Saints and LSU merchandise. I'm on Magazine St. and the business only has an LSU and Saints flag. I think it will be pretty hard for local businesses to ignore the Pelican...pretty darn hard.

  19. #594
    U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    3,168
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsfanjc24 View Post
    Wonder how many players will want out because of the name change? Any chance of EG returning was just thrown out the window.
    If I hear this argument one more time...

  20. #595
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsfanjc24 View Post
    Wonder how many players will want out because of the name change? Any chance of EG returning was just thrown out the window.
    Gonna go ahead and guess 0. $$$$

  21. #596
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Ryan Smith ‏@captryansmith
    Good thing with the name change is that Eric Gordon thinks he's been traded & will suit up tomorrow. #Pelicans



  22. #597
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    If I hear this argument one more time...
    And everyone thinks they're original when they say it.

  23. #598
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceedee M View Post
    I wonder why they feel a need to let it be known. I'm like, BYE! C'ya! They won't be missed.
    Not sure about that. Have you been to a game this season?

  24. #599
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,860
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsfanjc24 View Post
    Pelicans is just LAME. Sorry but thats just how i feel. WEAK nick-name. VooDoo was my top choice and fitted perfectly!
    Maybe it fit, but it was unavailable.

  25. #600
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsfanjc24 View Post
    Wonder how many players will want out because of the name change? Any chance of EG returning was just thrown out the window.
    So dumb...

    "Ewww my game check says PELICANS on it!! I don't want to play for this team anymorrrrrrre.... Trade me to the Magic! At least their checks have sparkly glitter on them!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •