.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast
Results 526 to 550 of 830

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

  1. #526
    Davis made me come home The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,292
    ESPN making fun of our nickname isn't the kind of **** that keeps me up at night.

  2. #527
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Last time I'll post on this thread but i'm just gonna say that to the New Orleans fans that tell us Hornets fans to "get out" or that we are "irrelevant" and "don't matter"... well you are making my decision very easy. and yes I know you don't care but I'm pretty sure the team might care a little when It loses out on fans that travel to New Orleans on multiple occasion and have spent thousands of hard earned dollars on the team.

    Hopefully NO can actually step up now that they are the Pelicans and replace us out of town fans.
    You aren't a fan of the team if you actually care that much what the name is to not be a fan anymore. You're a child, or bandwagon.

    If you're a fan of the team, you wouldn't care if they called them the New Orleans Drag Queens as long as they played ball.

    Have fun traveling to Charlotte though. I hear they have good...stuff.

  3. #528
    No White Flags Soundwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Danger Zone
    Posts
    3,486
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    This proves that logo's, jerseys, and branding is much more important than the nickname.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year


  4. #529
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    You aren't a fan of the team if you actually care that much what the name is to not be a fan anymore. You're a child, or bandwagon.

    If you're a fan of the team, you wouldn't care if they called them the New Orleans Drag Queens as long as they played ball.

    Have fun traveling to Charlotte though. I hear they have good...stuff.
    BANKS!


    Well, used to
    Wherehappens.

  5. #530
    Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    I would be willing to bet all of my personal possessions that ~90% of the people who hate the name see it like this:



    When I highly doubt that will be the case.
    I get your point...but IMO...just cuz you will possibly make the Pelican look more "angry" or the color scheme would look good doesn't change the fact that the NAME itself seems to be what people have problems with. If you don't like the name dressing it up in different ways isn't going to change that. Plus regardless of how many different mocked logos you throw up there....no one can confirm what this is actually going to look like.

    I just feel that the purpose of a rebrand is to invigorate the current fanbase and attracting new fans. And its obvious from most current fans and potential new fans that this Pelicans name does nothing but fail at that. I also get that Benson doesn't have to have a fan vote per say on what the name should be because that would be chaotic.... but at the very least he should test the waters of public opinion....he owns a tv station get some of these reporters out on the street and ask out of these particular names what do you think...it not a actual vote but it guages public opinion.... because regardless of what some fans on here say about how they "don't care" about that other people outside of NOLA think about the team name.....the ownership and NBA that wants to make profit from merchandising and sales should. Marketability is a big part of the NBA like it or not. Its different from the NFL in that sense because NBA relies heavily on international sales as NFL/NCAAF rules all in the US. And also...don't think just because Benson "saved" basketball in NOLA that he won't sell this team a the drop of a hat if he starts losing too money. LOL. He is a business man you know....
    Last edited by Miss_318; 12-05-2012 at 11:07 AM.

  6. #531
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,925
    Once again people can't be mad at ESPN or anybody who think the name is silly. If these many people are telling you it's a bad name there is a reason. You can agree or disagree, but stop trying to discredit the source. It's based on opinions. So if you're cool with it fine, but stop telling others they should be fine with it. I don't want to have a name that needs to grow on me not when there's dozens of others that I may not love but are perfectly ok with.

  7. #532
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Once again people can't be mad at ESPN or anybody who think the name is silly. If these many people are telling you it's a bad name there is a reason. You can agree or disagree, but stop trying to discredit the source. It's based on opinions. So if you're cool with it fine, but stop telling others they should be fine with it. I don't want to have a name that needs to grow on me not when there's dozens of others that I may not love but are perfectly ok with.
    ^This...and it not like the pole ESPN has on the site about the name left out votes from Louisiana too.....LOL.
    Last edited by Miss_318; 12-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.

  8. #533
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    I'm not mad at anyone who thinks the name is silly. A lot of these same people think it's silly for New Orleans to have an NBA team. Everyone is allowed to feel the way they want. Doesn't mean anything will change because of it.

  9. #534
    Rollin' Contributor Smirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If these many people are telling you it's a bad name there is a reason. .
    Its because of the time we live in. That's the reason.

    What if the Packers came out today? The Knicks? The Red/White Sox? The Browns? The Orioles? The Blue Jays? Wizards? Magic? Nuggets? Raptors?

    People won't care in a year. But today is all about social media and who can be the biggest cynical jerk immediately. LOOK AT ME! I'M COOL LOOK HOW EDGY I AM!

  10. #535
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I don't think anyone is ******** on int'l fans, but to think we should include them and their feelings in searching for a name is asinine too, imo.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, we all have opinions on the matter and the only one that matters is Bensons. The int'l and out of state fans may not be getting ******** on but being told to leave or our opinion doesn't matter is certainly disrespectful.
    #FREEQUAIL

  11. #536
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,687
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I'm not mad at anyone who thinks the name is silly. A lot of these same people think it's silly for New Orleans to have an NBA team. Everyone is allowed to feel the way they want. Doesn't mean anything will change because of it.
    Exactly, and it doesn't change the fact that I'm not trying to "discredit" ESPN. They do that just fine on their own every single day, Pelicans opinion or not.

  12. #537
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Once again people can't be mad at ESPN or anybody who think the name is silly. If these many people are telling you it's a bad name there is a reason. You can agree or disagree, but stop trying to discredit the source. It's based on opinions. So if you're cool with it fine, but stop telling others they should be fine with it. I don't want to have a name that needs to grow on me not when there's dozens of others that I may not love but are perfectly ok with.
    I don't recall many people thinking the Thunder was an awesome name, I think most people hated it too. The fact of the matter is, people complain, and are much more likely to voice their displeasure then anything else. Is Pelicans my first choice, no, but it's a ton better than Hornets.

  13. #538
    I see people say in here they will not support the team anymore. Your not a fan of the team your a fan of the name. Lance Thomas said it perfect yesterday who cares what the name is, it's the same players and staff with the same standards. Thats why I support this team not because of some name.

  14. #539
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Its because of the time we live in. That's the reason.

    What if the Packers came out today? The Knicks? The Red/White Sox? The Browns? The Orioles? The Blue Jays? Wizards? Magic? Nuggets? Raptors?

    People won't care in a year. But today is all about social media and who can be the biggest cynical jerk immediately. LOOK AT ME! I'M COOL LOOK HOW EDGY I AM!
    Raptors Ohhh, Jurassic Park how you doomed Toronto!

  15. #540
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! da ThRONe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    This proves that logo's, jerseys, and branding is much more important than the nickname.
    This is short sighted and does not address having to use the actual name at some point. Ofcourse having a bad name doesn't mean the Jerseys and logo will look awful, but having both those doesn't fit having a silly name.

    Why choose one or the other when we can have both is my biggest issue with people who want to focus on the logo and color schemes.

  16. #541
    I just don't quite get how people think Pelicans is so silly when our current logo is a cartoon with Mickey Mouse gloves.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

  17. #542
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    I just don't quite get how people think Pelicans is so silly when our current logo is a cartoon with Mickey Mouse gloves.
    I actually laughed out loud at this

  18. #543
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    ESPN is just making a mockery of this whole franchise
    ill say this again to hell what ESPN says, they could give a crap about New Orleans just look at the b.s. they "reported" with the Saints with the wiretapping lies.

  19. #544
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I can only speak for me and my people we all hate it. The year makes no difference.
    Hmmmm. I think I see where you're going with that.

  20. #545
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is short sighted and does not address having to use the actual name at some point. Ofcourse having a bad name doesn't mean the Jerseys and logo will look awful, but having both those doesn't fit having a silly name.

    Why choose one or the other when we can have both is my biggest issue with people who want to focus on the logo and color schemes.
    I see your point with this... but right now the hip look will quell the anger over the name... then long term... winning cures all

  21. #546
    U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Its because of the time we live in. That's the reason.

    What if the Packers came out today? The Knicks? The Red/White Sox? The Browns? The Orioles? The Blue Jays? Wizards? Magic? Nuggets? Raptors?
    T H I S

  22. #547
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Its because of the time we live in. That's the reason.

    What if the Packers came out today? The Knicks? The Red/White Sox? The Browns? The Orioles? The Blue Jays? Wizards? Magic? Nuggets? Raptors?

    People won't care in a year. But today is all about social media and who can be the biggest cynical jerk immediately. LOOK AT ME! I'M COOL LOOK HOW EDGY I AM!
    But thats the thing. These names were given during a certain era (and half of the names you threw out are fit the sport ie baseball) where those were good names for teams at that time. Its a different time now and Pelicans IMO fits more with something from a Knickerbockers era. I realize some people here don't care for how things are seen are done as far as social media in this day and age but thats what it is....the baby boomer demographic doesn't run things anymore....if the last 2 elections didn't show you exactly where this society is at this moment when it comes to the country being taken over by the young population then I don't know how else it could be explained.

    The world is different....opinions seem to actually matter more than back in the day because the consumer has an outlet where their opinions can be heard in real time....social media can make or break businesses now a days. Not saying this is going to break the team or anything but from the backlash on social media users in NOLA alone about this name tells you everything you need to know about your targeted fanbase. Its the age of technology and social media....yes you have those people that just want to be the first to make negative comments but it also have people who genuinly voice their actual opinion. Everyone thats complaining on the social media outlets that everyone hates is the targeted fanbase like it or not.
    Last edited by Miss_318; 12-05-2012 at 11:36 AM.

  23. #548
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    I don't recall many people thinking the Thunder was an awesome name, I think most people hated it too. The fact of the matter is, people complain, and are much more likely to voice their displeasure then anything else. Is Pelicans my first choice, no, but it's a ton better than Hornets.
    Here's just one Boston Celtics forum and their thoughts on the Thunder name when they first heard it. That's just one forum. Today, they probably couldn't care less.

  24. #549
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    I think keeping in mind what Sonics fans thought of the Thunder name would also be germane when considering what could have been.
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  25. #550
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I think keeping in mind what Sonics fans thought of the Thunder name would also be germane when considering what could have been.
    the Thunder logo is still ugly as all get up... and the unis are still so very bland... the 1 difference now... they've made a NBA Finals and have prob. the best team in the NBA right now

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •