Pelicans Report

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Can I also say that Hornets international fans and fans in US outside of New orleans might outweigh the amount of fans in New Orleans and I am not kidding.. I don't think I could say this about any other team.

Some people want the name to be hurricanes come on thats like Oklahoma City naming there team the bombers. And cajuns is not a good name because most of the people in New Orleans are not cajuns. It all comes down to how the logo and uniforms look, if they are nice no one will care about the name.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, that's friggin slick.
    Wherehappens.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Can I also say that Hornets international fans and fans in US outside of New orleans might outweigh the amount of fans in New Orleans and I am not kidding.. I don't think I could say this about any other team.
    You can leave now.

There's gotta be a price that Voodoo will sell on. I say up the bid and the difference will show up in increased merchandise sales

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Doesn't matter.

perfect example those are nice

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Lots of entitled gets running about. The Change.org petitions will be next...
    http://www.change.org/petitions/tom-...e-hornets-name

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...o-the-pelicans

ESPN is just making a mockery of this whole franchise

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Here's why a fan poll is a terrible idea: How do you limit scope?

Just to 504? Then people in 985 complain.

What about the rest of the Gulf South? The nation?

The fact of the matter is, people THINK they know what New Orleans is all about, and they don't. They think a name like Cajuns or Crawfish would be great and would suit us. They have no idea.

The fact of the matter is most of the people complaining that I see aren't from NOLA. They don't live here. Quite frankly, and I know I'm about to ruffle some feathers (as it were), those people's opinions don't matter that much to me.

Benson should pick the name he wants. If you don't like it, talk with your wallet.
    This. To reiterate. The fact of the matter is most of the people complaining that I see aren't from NOLA. They don't live here. Quite frankly, and I know I'm about to ruffle some feathers (not that I care), those people's opinions don't matter that much to me. If you are jumping off the bandwagon because of a nickname and some colors you were never really on it to begin with.

Good. Don't care.

Doesn't matter.
    Man you and I are on the same page today. This is not a international team it's New Orleans team and thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    Again, we don't give a crap what people at ESPN think. They were never for us anyway so if it makes ESPN mad then to me it's a +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets_fan_504 View Post
    perfect example those are nice
    Definitely shows some potential.

Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    Again, we don't give a crap what people at ESPN think. They were never for us anyway so if it makes ESPN mad then to me it's a +1.
    100%. The more outsiders hate the more I love it.

We rockin that peli peli peli peli peli everywhere...

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    ESPN THINKS THIS TEAM IS STILL IN CHARLOTTE HALF THE TIME. Yet people are worried about their bored opinion snippet on a Tuesday?

Again, what does this clown know about anything in New Orleans? ANd why should we care what this guys opinion is? The more these national (i.e. New York/LAX) media hate it, the more I like it.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    That's a pretty large deficit. Food for thought. here's the link if you wanna check it out yourself http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post...ecome-pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    And also, from the ESPN poll:

"gebhardtchris: "Who thought New Orleans Pelicans was a good name for an NBA team? It's not even a good name for a pelican."

I would be willing to bet all of my personal possessions that ~90% of the people who hate the name see it like this:

When I highly doubt that will be the case.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    That's why I like the name. They always thought of us a joke before the name change anyway. People laughed at the hornets name before.
    Last edited by wuggie; 12-05-2012 at 10:48 AM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Man you and I are on the same page today. This is not a international team it's New Orleans team and thats all that matters.
    Yeah, but the problem here is the majority of people here don't like Pelicans.

...we get to go McDonalds
    That's not all that matters. I'm a native New Orleanian and as a fan of the Hornets/Pelicans, we need as many fans as we can possibly attract. It's our ONLY chance at long run survival. Having an organization that ****s on int'l fans is asinine.

That said, the int'l fans have to understand that the name "Hornets" doesn't belong to New Orleans. It's like taking an idea from someone else, and instead of passing it on as your own idea, you kinda tell people that you bought the idea from someone. That's the New Orleans Hornets. It was never ours.

This rebrand is important because it's our chance to come up with something as unique as the Charlotte Hornets and everything that comes along with that (colors, logo, etc). Even if it's not, at least it's something we can call our own. And that's important to us. And we'd like our int'l fans to come along for the ride with us as well. After all, since when has New Orleans not wanted to throw a party with more people as opposed to less people?

We know. We know everyone is. Don't waste too much more of your time pointing out how everyone is laughing. We know. What are we going to do about it? Send Benson a letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    That's not all that matters. I'm a native New Orleanian and as a fan of the Hornets/Pelicans, we need as many fans as we can possibly attract. It's our ONLY chance at long run survival. Having an organization that ****s on int'l fans is asinine.

That said, the int'l fans have to understand that the name "Hornets" doesn't belong to New Orleans. It's like taking an idea from someone else, and instead of passing it on as your own idea, you kinda tell people that you bought the idea from someone. That's the New Orleans Hornets. It was never ours.

This rebrand is important because it's our chance to come up with something as unique as the Charlotte Hornets and everything that comes along with that (colors, logo, etc). Even if it's not, at least it's something we can call our own. And that's important to us. And we'd like our int'l fans to come along for the ride with us as well. After all, since when has New Orleans not wanted to throw a party with more people as opposed to less people?
    I don't think anyone is ******** on int'l fans, but to think we should include them and their feelings in searching for a name is asinine too, imo.

Hornets was as good as dead the day Benson bought the team... lest we forget he said as much at his introductory press conference w/ Stern

The name Hornets is rooted in Charlotte's history (Gen. Cornwallis dubbed the city a "Hornet's Nest" during the Revolutionary War) and should be there, not New Orleans.

the Pelican is our state bird and as others have pointed out... is on our state flag. You don't have to go all that far to find a pelican around the city.

If Pelicans does become the team name (and by all accounts it seems it will)... it'll be all about the branding and if the team uses anything like the concepts we've seen in this thread... I think people will warm up to the name and look rather quickly

edit: I can almost guarantee we won't go the Oregon Duck route and use a design Disney will want... we'll use something highly fitting for a basketball team... though I wouldn't mind Seymour D Fair stopping by every now and then (that was the 1984 NOLA World's Fair pelican mascot)... maybe that'll be Bradley Handwerger's new tormenter... taking the place of king cake baby
    Last edited by rt0307; 12-05-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Thread Information