Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Can someone post a picture of BIG BIRD. Maybe he can be our official mascot, lol.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    They're still the Hornets so it's not as bad, once this team becomes Pelicans all Hornets gear reverts to niche throwback, which not everyone likes.

Which is the only point I'm trying to make, staying the Hornets (and the Bullets for that matter) is better than rebranding to something stupid like the Pelicans (or Wizards).
    On behalf of everyone in Louisiana, we don't care what people in Kentucky think of us. It will take a little while for people in NOLA to warm to the pelicans, it not my first pick either.. But whether people not from the region think it's a cool name or won't be fans because we are no longer the Hornets... We do not care.

for the ones who need to take action
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butt-hurt.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	4504  

I'm digging the name after seeing the logos floating around and lettin it sink in. It's not the worst name, but it does sound goofy.

Prepare to be mocked and ridiculed, by fans moreso than the media, and if we're successful then the jeering should subside. Having a shortened name from the onset would help get over the awkward phase, like pels or axe birds lol.

That said, gators would be on the top of my list, is there a reason we couldn't use that name?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by RealHornets Fan View Post

for the ones who need to take action
    Love it.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post

That said, gators would be on the top of my list, is there a reason we couldn't use that name?
    I guess you don't live here.
    Wherehappens.

It's just such a "love it or hate it" name... I think you have to be safer with your name choices to keep people from possibly stop being a fan. It's just a risk you don't have to take with names that you may not be in love with but you can live with.

We're already struggling to get people to watch this team play, let alone make a decision that it's obvious is far from a consensus liking.

At the end of the day the NBA has to see profit and with a brand change comes re-merchandising, which is more than just a "New Orleans" thing. If this team was selling out games every night then by all means, the fans would seemingly embrace it, but I have my doubts that's all. I still see there being a good chance this name doesn't end up being final

Strictly opinion

Here's why a fan poll is a terrible idea: How do you limit scope?

Just to 504? Then people in 985 complain.

What about the rest of the Gulf South? The nation?

The fact of the matter is, people THINK they know what New Orleans is all about, and they don't. They think a name like Cajuns or Crawfish would be great and would suit us. They have no idea.

The fact of the matter is most of the people complaining that I see aren't from NOLA. They don't live here. Quite frankly, and I know I'm about to ruffle some feathers (as it were), those people's opinions don't matter that much to me.

Benson should pick the name he wants. If you don't like it, talk with your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    Wow negative reaction is crazy, if you don't like the name the team still represents New Orleans and that is what counts right?
    My question again is why is it one or the other? Why should we just say "Whatever name who cares?". If that was the case we could have stayed the Hornets and kept it moving. If the point of the rebrand was to get a name to help galvanize the local fanbase this rebrand is already failing at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Here's why a fan poll is a terrible idea: How do you limit scope?

Just to 504? Then people in 985 complain.

What about the rest of the Gulf South? The nation?

The fact of the matter is, people THINK they know what New Orleans is all about, and they don't. They think a name like Cajuns or Crawfish would be great and would suit us. They have no idea.

The fact of the matter is most of the people complaining that I see aren't from NOLA. They don't live here. Quite frankly, and I know I'm about to ruffle some feathers (as it were), those people's opinions don't matter that much to me.

Benson should pick the name he wants. If you don't like it, talk with your wallet.
    Some good stuff in this post Smirk. Especially the bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    On behalf of everyone in Louisiana, we don't care what people in Kentucky think of us. It will take a little while for people in NOLA to warm to the pelicans, it not my first pick either.. But whether people not from the region think it's a cool name or won't be fans because we are no longer the Hornets... We do not care.
    On behalf of everyone outside of Louisiana we don't care that you don't care what we think. I keep seeing this thrown around, just because I don't like the name Pelicans is not an insult to New Orleans or the state of Louisiana...I care about the name because I'm a fan of the franchise and this is a message board to voice opinions and discuss topics.
    #FREEQUAIL

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I guess you don't live here.
    Yeah why not just name the team Falcons.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeauz View Post
    Between sleeping on it for the night and all the cliff jumpers on twitter, I'm starting to come around to Pelicans. Some of the designs that have been floated are really good work. As with any designation, the success will largely ride on the actual uniform/logo/arena design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I'm digging the name after seeing the logos floating around and lettin it sink in. It's not the worst name, but it does sound goofy.
    Again, my point is made.

The reason why Joe Fan and the twitterverse is railing on us is because most people casually think of "Pelicans" in a cartoony, kiddy light:

Who said it can't be painted more fierce/intimidating?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	198214_555356467812159_1138707620_n.jpg 
Views:	977 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	4505  

That's a pretty large deficit. Food for thought. here's the link if you wanna check it out yourself http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post...ecome-pelicans

pelicans got swag Flight of the Pelicans's Avatar

RE: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

How great is pelicans? Every day the name grows on me more and more. To be honest I would've been proud of any name, because I'm proud of new Orleans basketball. Go Hornets! And Go Pelicans!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

#Let'sGoPels
    #WhoDatNation
    #GoRays

Anyway they can reverse this decision and maybe change their mind? I wouldn't even care if it took an extra year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets05 View Post
    Anyway they can reverse this decision and maybe change their mind? I wouldn't even care if it took an extra year.
    "We're not confirming that is the name," Hornets spokesman Greg Bensel told The Times-Picayune. "This is a process that's ongoing and still in discussions. And it will be eventually decided by the NBA."

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    "We're not confirming that is the name," Hornets spokesman Greg Bensel told The Times-Picayune. "This is a process that's ongoing and still in discussions. And it will be eventually decided by the NBA."
    So there's a chance!!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    The name is good just wait and see. Most people got their mind made up about New Orleans or Louisiana and the think such and such when they really don't know, same thing with our franchise and even with the Pelican. We have a team where the superstar has a freaking MONO and people like him. So why can't people like a bird? It's a bird! A BIRD. That represents our state! It's a better than the hornets at this point. I just want to get rid of that Shinn STANK that's left. Lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    So there's a chance!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by takezor View Post
    Why would you be mad at Charlotte? The Hornets were formed in Charlotte, so the most natural thing is that now MJ gets back what they lost when the team moved to New Orleans! Most of the Bobcats fans want the identity back if NOLA rebrands.
    The colours, the logo, the name, the mascot, everything is BEAUTY to me.

Personally if all this goes through I will be following both teams... it will not be the same though.

I only feel sorry for the small percentage of fans who continued to support the team through the Shinn debacle. For all the fans who gave up on the team because of Shinn, I have zero sympathy. A fan doesn't run out on his or her team because of the owner's shortcomings. Charlotte didn't need to lose the REAL Hornets, but they did.

And taking our name? As a sports fan, do you even need to ask that question. Fan allegiance runs hot and heavy. I don't want to see any other franchise pretending to be us.

And also, from the ESPN poll:

"gebhardtchris: "Who thought New Orleans Pelicans was a good name for an NBA team? It's not even a good name for a pelican."

Last edited by Teal Lantern; 12-05-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    The name is good just wait and see. Most people got their mind made up about New Orleans or Louisiana and the think such and such when they really don't know, same thing with our franchise and even with the Pelican. We have a team where the superstar has a freaking MONO and people like him. So why can't people like a bird? It's a bird! A BIRD. That represents our state! It's a better than the hornets at this point. I just want to get rid of that Shinn STANK that's left. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    I only feel sorry for the small percentage of fans who continued to support the team through the Shinn debacle. For all the fans who gave up on the team because of Shinn, I have zero sympathy. A fan doesn't run out on his or her team because of the owner's shortcomings. Charlotte didn't need to lose the REAL Hornets, but they did.

And taking our name? As a sports fan, do you even need to ask that question. Fan allegiance runs hot and heavy. I don't want to see any other franchise pretending to be us.
    I've got a mugsy poster, an LJ poster, a poster of Mashburn, Wesley & Davis in New Orleans, Two CP3 ones and a New Orleans Hornets flag.

I followed this team since I was little, I could've went back to Charlotte when they got a team but it really puts you in a weird situation. I feel the loyalty to this team because I follow transactions, players, etc. I know nothing about the bobcats and frankly I can't stand half the players on the team. All I need is a tolerable name to stick to my guns but who knows. It's going to be an interesting next few years to see how everything unfolds. Not sure if I'm necessarily looking forward to it or not

i'm in the same situation... I have friends who are saying they are jumping ship to Charlotte again but I just have a hard time with that. I don't care for their players..I have never followed them and it it would feel wrong being a fan of them.

This team will look different but this is still the team we have followed forever. We have watched the progression over the years to the team they are now. The history is still their, the team records are still there, that 1 2008 divisional banner is still there haha, Bobby Phills is still up in the rafters. It will feel weird but I will probably still support them and call them the Hornets haha.

But if Charlotte Hornets come back with those old school teal pinstriped jerseys and that old school court design than old feelings might com back. That would definitely be the hottest selling apparel in the NBA once it comes out.

Thread Information