Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

My girlfriend told me the name is childish and she won't ever allow me to wear a jersey that says Pelicans haha.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    My girlfriend told me the name is childish and she won't ever allow me to wear a jersey that says Pelicans haha.
    Clearly it's time for a new girlfriend right my man!

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    Wouldn't you have voted to just stay the bullets?
    Yes, but that was not an option.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    She might get over it. Has she seen any of the logo ideas like the one here?

I would speculate that most of the national and local John Does who are complaining about the name haven't seen anything to tie the name to. Once that happens, it might be a different story.

One of the rebrand threaders please back me up here...but earlier this year, there was an experiment of sorts done here by one or two NOLA area HR posters when Pelicans was leaked as a possible name change over facebook. The initial reaction to it was similar to what is going on now. But then some of the *good* logo/color design ideas were posted to go along with it, and some of those same people changed their tune along the lines of "Oh, that's actually not bad...kinda cool."

Again, here's hoping for a kick-doors logo and jerseys. Will probably be a while until we find out.

Why is everyone so butt hurt about the Pelican name? The only name we should be concerned about is the New Orleans part. This team could have easily been relocated to Seattle. I bet they wouldn't mind being the Seattle Pelicans. Be thankful that we have a team here no matter what they're called. I'll be a proud Pelican fan just as I'm a proud Zephyr, Saints, and Hornets fan, because they are OUR (New Orleans) team.

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post

I would speculate that most of the national and local John Does who are complaining about the name haven't seen anything to tie the name to. Once that happens, it might be a different story.

One of the rebrand threaders please back me up here...but earlier this year, there was an experiment of sorts done here by one or two NOLA area HR posters when Pelicans was leaked as a possible name change over facebook. The initial reaction to it was similar to what is going on now. But then some of the *good* logo/color design ideas were posted to go along with it, and some of those same people changed their tune along the lines of "Oh, that's actually not bad...kinda cool."

Again, here's hoping for a kick-doors logo and jerseys. Will probably be a while until we find out.
    I agree a good logo design/color scheme/floor layout is now key. A good logo/color scheme/jersey design is more important than the name itself.

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post

Definitely, a nice design and logo (and the one posted by Atarwii earlier fits that bill) will make up for a lot of this. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Then you will have to get an alternate jersey that just says NOLA.

Between sleeping on it for the night and all the cliff jumpers on twitter, I'm starting to come around to Pelicans. Some of the designs that have been floated are really good work. As with any designation, the success will largely ride on the actual uniform/logo/arena design.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    People wear throwback stuff all the time. I've got a Hornets jacket that might last me for a lifetime and I'm certainly not going to put it in mothballs. In fact, I'm going to make sure I get a couple of items with the Fleur de Bee before they become hard to find.
    They're still the Hornets so it's not as bad, once this team becomes Pelicans all Hornets gear reverts to niche throwback, which not everyone likes.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Yes, but that was not an option.
    Which is the only point I'm trying to make, staying the Hornets (and the Bullets for that matter) is better than rebranding to something stupid like the Pelicans (or Wizards).
    #FREEQUAIL

This is why I purchased my AD jersey this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Why is everyone so butt hurt about the Pelican name? The only name we should be concerned about is the New Orleans part. This team could have easily been relocated to Seattle. I bet they wouldn't mind being the Seattle Pelicans. Be thankful that we have a team here no matter what they're called. I'll be a proud Pelican fan just as I'm a proud Zephyr, Saints, and Hornets fan, because they are OUR (New Orleans) team.
    If that were the case then why was everyone so up in arms about having a "New Orleans" nickname, the team already had "New Orleans" in the title. How much more "New Orleans" can you get other than "New Orleans"

And I really don't think anyones butts hurt over this? Maybe their ears from hearing about it or their eyes from reading about it. I guess someone might have gotten so angry they went and sat on a Pelican and that hurt their butt, but that has to be extremely rare.

I'm going to get ROASTED on the 49ers board by all the Lakers and Kings fans. Oy vey.
    49ers is an awesome name
    Lakers fans are idiots by definition, so why would you care what they say? If they hate the name it's basically proof that it's a good name.

All the Pelicans hating is bizarre to me, I would've preferred Krewe, but I guarantee you that would've been mocked and scoffed at by everyone outside NOLA too. Like others have said the important part of the name is New Orleans. I couldn't care less about the people who will follow the Hornets name back to Charlotte, good riddance!

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    Which is the only point I'm trying to make, staying the Hornets (and the Bullets for that matter) is better than rebranding to something stupid like the Pelicans (or Wizards).
    Of course not, because
    1) Pelicans is not stupid, {Mod edit-unnecessary insult}
    2) Pelicans have a connection to the state/city, Hornets do not.

End of argument.

All,

This is seriously bad. You can tell no test groups were done about this. NBA teams need to be marketed to young guys, and no young guy wants to sport a Pelicans hat.

Join my facebook group against it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Ben...1567805?ref=hl

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Lots of entitled gets running about. The Change.org petitions will be next...

Re: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by LAHornet85 View Post
    All,

This is seriously bad. You can tell no test groups were done about this. NBA teams need to be marketed to young guys, and no young guy wants to sport a Pelicans hat.

Join my facebook group against it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Ben...1567805?ref=hl
    This is adorable.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to get ROASTED on the 49ers board by all the Lakers and Kings fans. Oy vey.
    49ers is an awesome name???? They took a year and added 'ers' to the end of it. It's 2012 how can anyone be a 49er?

The Franchise
    Wow negative reaction is crazy, if you don't like the name the team still represents New Orleans and that is what counts right?
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I bet you that if you polled every single resident of new orleans and asked them plain and simple.... Pelicans or Hornets.... a small to medium majority would pick hornets.

Krewe, Brass, Voodoo, Jazz screams New Orleans to me. Pelicans does not! Heck head to Tampa or somewhere else in Florida along the gulf and you'll spot plenty of Pelicans... I didn't even know prior to this name change that Pelicans were an important symbol to New Orleans.. wasn't that the purpose of this name change.

The people that are on board with this (which is a very small # because the majority seems to be bashing this) are happy only because it is different than Hornets. Being different than Hornets was not the purpose of a re-brand. Gold, Crimson red are not New orleans colors to me either. Nothing about this screams New Orleans!

Also, believe it or not Hornets are one of the more recognizable brands in basketball nationally and globally. Yes, the majority of gear being rocked by teens, people in Europe and other countries is Charlotte Hornets stuff... but it is still Hornets.. and New Orleans like it or not owns Charlotte Hornets history! Other than Lakers, Bulls, Celtics (and even Celtics is questionable) there is not a more identifiable logo in the NBA globally. I was born in eastern europe, lived in Belgium for 2 years, then to Texas for 2 years, then to Connecticut then to Toronto for 12 years and now in Virginia. I've seen hornets stuff everywhere. No team other than Lakers/Bulls has the international presence the Hornets do and now you are killing that.

I won't lie I'm butthurt. There was only 2 names I really disliked that floated around on this board. Pelicans and ArcAngels.

Long live the Pelicans

When Ryan makes a triple, play a Sound bite of Tony Montana saying,
    "Look at this pelican flyy, comee onn peliccaannn!!"
    Last edited by Millán; 12-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.

HERE'S PIERRE!!

Rookie

Thread Information