.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast
Results 426 to 450 of 830

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

  1. #426
    No White Flags Soundwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Danger Zone
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Oh, the big scary original response. Thank you for sparing us all.

    The response is none of that. It's actually pointing out how utterly wrong you are in your assessment of quality.

    Maybe if you know, you can learn. Maybe. But it's been so long already . . .
    You honestly have no idea do you?

    I write a post giving CREDIT to you and 24/7 for writing the original article speculating on the rebrand to Pelicans. Then I mentioned that for all we knew at the time, a yahoo writer could have seen your article and ran with it. And this is how you respond?
    Yeah, if 247 said, it has to be false.

    Also, the team isn't on FSNO, FSNO is not on DirecTV, etc, there are no LED boards just added to the Arena, and the Voodoo aren't playing 6 games in the Dome due to the Arena renovations this coming summer.
    Why so defensive?

    I was speculating just like you did in the first article. Were your feelings hurt because I referred to your original article for exactly what it was, speculation? If you want to defend something, why don't you defend why the article now says it was updated on 11/29 when it was clearly updated today? Why would that be omitted?

    I then went on (in a jokingly matter which I'm sure went right over your head) to stress patience and waiting to see the final decision before overreacting like "OMG this is the worst thing ever".

    So,
    Overly sensitive - either that or unable to comprehend simple statements
    Pointless - yes. It is a complete waste of my time to have to respond to people who get their panties in a bunch and overreact like that
    Disrespectful - par for the course for you lately. What Happened? Seriously? You are doing yourself and your work a disservice.
    Irrelevant - what does anything you mentioned have to do with the name change? All those other things were official announcements. No Official announcement yet regarding the name.

    You misunderstood me, it's ok. It happens. But maybe you should look into a mirror and ask yourself why you are having a problem with everyone else. Eventually you might realize that the problem isn't everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year


  2. #427
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxSaints53 View Post
    Hornets Pelicans Nest

    Pretty easy forum name change (assuming pelicans have nests?).
    I think 42 came up with the best potential re-naming of pelicansreport.com -> "pelicanbrief.com"

    That's straight up genius.

  3. #428
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    Quote from ESPN today:

    "Anthony Davis is a Pelican, a big, game-changing Pelican."

    Our highlights will be awash with goofy bird jokes next year. Oh boy.

    They never stopped calling us the damn Charlotte Hornets. So they consistently disrespected us by calling us something we weren't. At least we will be called the right name for a change.

  4. #429
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansBBall View Post
    They never stopped calling us the damn Charlotte Hornets. So they consistently disrespected us by calling us something we weren't. At least we will be called the right name for a change.
    No. Now they'll want to call us New Orleans Hornets.

  5. #430
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    No. Now they'll want to call us New Orleans Hornets.
    Awesome!!!!!!

  6. #431
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name.

    Unlike for us, Cleveland's fans stock is what chose that name.
    Listen man, I'm not happy with the name either. That doesn't change the fact that we have absolutely no right to a vote for the team's name. Benson is the one who coughed up $350 mil for the team, so he can name it whatever the hell he wants to. It sucks that he chose the Pelicans (totally unconfirmed, by the way), but it is what it is. We shouldn't be acting so entitled. That doesn't mean that you can't hate the name. That's perfectly fine. But you shouldn't be demanding a vote (not saying you are, but you know what I'm saying).
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 12-05-2012 at 12:50 AM.

  7. #432
    Hornets fan from NJ! Vinny6420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,849
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    No. Now they'll want to call us New Orleans Hornets.
    FINALLY! Lol
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks


    RIP HunnyB

    This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

  8. #433
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,586
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Listen man, I'm not happy with the name either. That doesn't change the fact that we have absolutely no right to a vote for the team's name. Benson is the one who coughed up $350 grand for the team, so he can name it whatever the hell he wants to. It sucks that he chose the Pelicans (totally unconfirmed, by the way), but it is what it is. We shouldn't be acting so entitled. That doesn't mean that you can't hate the name. That's perfectly fine. But you shouldn't be demanding a vote (not saying you are, but you know what I'm saying).
    Hell I could have bought the team with that money LOL

  9. #434
    The Franchise Big-EZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Orleans/Arabi
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansBBall View Post
    A vote???? Seriously? The fans should support the home team not JUST the name. Goodness. Are we really acting like we are going to lose sleep over this??? Go Pelicans, P'cans or whatever. Hell.... NEWORLEANSBBALL is what we should truly celebrate.

    Thank you Mr. Benson for purchasing the team and keeping I here and feel free to name YOUR team whatever you like. Because I LOVE New Orleans I will support whatever the name is.
    I support all New Orleans teams. I appreciate him buying the team and keeping them here. Now that we completed that phase, everyone should just shut up and be all happy about the new name? Of course I'm still going to watch the games, buy tickets, and be proud of the franchise, but the name is laughable in my opinion. VooDoo would have been great but I'll get over it. It has only been a few hours so people will express their opinion, and that includes me.
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

  10. #435
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    Hell I could have bought the team with that money LOL
    Haha, nice catch!

  11. #436
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatMan504 View Post
    I support all New Orleans teams. I appreciate him buying the team and keeping them here. Now that we completed that phase, everyone should just shut up and be all happy about the new name? Of course I'm still going to watch the games, buy tickets, and be proud of the franchise, but the name is laughable in my opinion. VooDoo would have been great but I'll get over it. It has only been a few hours so people will express their opinion, and that includes me.
    Respect.

    But I believe the name will attract kids....will have a college mascot feel....and will just work but I respect your opinion.

  12. #437
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,586
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Haha, nice catch!
    Yeah mate.....you don't slip up often but I just had too. ha ha

  13. #438
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Listen man, I'm not happy with the name either. That doesn't change the fact that we have absolutely no right to a vote for the team's name. Benson is the one who coughed up $350 mil for the team, so he can name it whatever the hell he wants to. It sucks that he chose the Pelicans (totally unconfirmed, by the way), but it is what it is. We shouldn't be acting so entitled. That doesn't mean that you can't hate the name. That's perfectly fine. But you shouldn't be demanding a vote (not saying you are, but you know what I'm saying).
    Yes, I'm not demanding a vote. Just posting what I found about the Browns since that name came up and what I found was opposite of what some had posted here.

    Secondly, Benson made a business decision to cough up those millions to make more millions. Most of which goes into his pockets. Whose more millions? Mine, yours, and whoever else chooses to support the team he invested in (let's not even bring up all the tax money "entitlements" to fix up that arena and new practce facility). Is he now automatically "entitled" to my money and time even if I hate the name he chose? My answer is hell no. That is my decison. Fact---if he doesn't please his fans, he'll stay in the red. There is nothing that compels fans to love an inferior product. Let's rethink the entitlements shall we?

    That's business for ya.

  14. #439
    Hall of Famer Mr. Mojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    556
    Hey did you guys know that a group of pelicans is called a "squadron"? I just read that.
    Last edited by Mr. Mojo; 12-05-2012 at 01:23 AM.

  15. #440
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    Hey did you guys know that a group of pelicans is called a "squadron"? I just read that. Our b-ball squad is now a squadron. that actually does sound pretty intimidating
    awesome... and call the beezanies the platoon

  16. #441
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name.

    Unlike for us, Cleveland's fans stock is what chose that name.
    And look what the idiots picked.

    Next.
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  17. #442
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    You honestly have no idea do you?

    I write a post giving CREDIT to you and 24/7 for writing the original article speculating on the rebrand to Pelicans. Then I mentioned that for all we knew at the time, a yahoo writer could have seen your article and ran with it. And this is how you respond?

    Why so defensive?

    I was speculating just like you did in the first article. Were your feelings hurt because I referred to your original article for exactly what it was, speculation? If you want to defend something, why don't you defend why the article now says it was updated on 11/29 when it was clearly updated today? Why would that be omitted?

    I then went on (in a jokingly matter which I'm sure went right over your head) to stress patience and waiting to see the final decision before overreacting like "OMG this is the worst thing ever".

    So,
    Overly sensitive - either that or unable to comprehend simple statements
    Pointless - yes. It is a complete waste of my time to have to respond to people who get their panties in a bunch and overreact like that
    Disrespectful - par for the course for you lately. What Happened? Seriously? You are doing yourself and your work a disservice.
    Irrelevant - what does anything you mentioned have to do with the name change? All those other things were official announcements. No Official announcement yet regarding the name.

    You misunderstood me, it's ok. It happens. But maybe you should look into a mirror and ask yourself why you are having a problem with everyone else. Eventually you might realize that the problem isn't everyone else.
    You can retcon that into credit if you want.

    As far as feelings hurt, that's not true. Maybe you are surrounded by people whose feelings are easily bruised by the words of strangers, but not here. Not defensive. Just not a whipping boy.

    The post doesn't say it was updated on 11/29. That's the post day. And the original post is clearly marked in it. Again, ignorance and accusations that are baseless. and the inability to comprehend simple concepts.

    I'm not having a problem with everyone else. I'm not even having a problem with you. You, however, are having some issue. I hope it works out.

    So don't respond if it's pointless. There is a point, to throw mud on people who for some reason rub you the wrong way. You've been far more disrespectful to me and others than I've been to you.

    If it's irrelevant, then why did you post to begin with.

    It goes on and one. You can't hide that you were just posting to throw mud. Tasteless.

    ETA: I presented the article in every context as exactly what it was, facts and analysis. I made reference in it and it's predecessor to other info, but I presented it as I intended. Only the top bit was added and the original post was updated. Still, it clearly shows that things can change. How on earth can I possibly have hurt feelings about calling that post speculation? You chose a more demeaning term (on purpose), but it's data and analysis, inferences, deductions, and reasoned speculation.

    No, you tried to take a jab, and it didn't work. Just stop the tap dancing, drop it, and move on. I'm happy to do the same.
    Last edited by 42; 12-05-2012 at 01:38 AM.

  18. #443
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    He said flat out, and this is a near quote (I was sitting there): We need the fans' help.

    And that got people excited. Understandably so.

    That does not mean that following up on that is best for business or that the contest would have the names anyone really wanted.

    Example: There was a contest to rename the Bullets. The choices: Dragons, Express, Stallions, Sea Dogs, Wizards.

    Ok, pick.
    Wouldn't you have voted to just stay the bullets?
    #FREEQUAIL

  19. #444
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Yes, I'm not demanding a vote. Just posting what I found about the Browns since that name came up and what I found was opposite of what some had posted here.

    Secondly, Benson made a business decision to cough up those millions to make more millions. Most of which goes into his pockets. Whose more millions? Mine, yours, and whoever else chooses to support the team he invested in (let's not even bring up all the tax money "entitlements" to fix up that arena and new practce facility). Is he now automatically "entitled" to my money and time even if I hate the name he chose? My answer is hell no. That is my decison. Fact---if he doesn't please his fans, he'll stay in the red. There is nothing that compels fans to love an inferior product. Let's rethink the entitlements shall we?

    That's business for ya.
    But that's the whole point. He is going to make the team the way he wants it to be. His colors, his name, his everything. If you like it, you buy his product. If you don't, then you don't have to. I never said you are forced to buy his merchandise, and I certainly never said he is "entitled to (your) money." This is America. You are free to do as you want. I think you are taking this a little too far...

    You are one fan. Your opinion is that you don't like the team name. I agree with you, but I also know that the name will eventually grow on me (as it will with most other fans). It is more than likely that, eventually, the vast majority of the fans for this franchise will come to accept the Pelicans name. That means $ for Benson. He knows this. People get mad at the name initially, but soon enough, they forget about that and just enjoy the true product - the team. As soon as this team starts winning, merchandise will fly off the shelves. That's a fact.

  20. #445
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I'll third the perspective preaching. Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean it's the only way to feel. Just because you like the name doesn't mean the people who dislike it are wrong. Just because you dislike the name doesn't mean the people who like it are wrong. Disliking it doesn't make you a female dog whiny baby. Liking it doesn't make you a groveler. It's just how we feel, in the heat of the moment, as raw and unchecked as possible (would be more unchecked if there wasn't a content filter on the forum).

    But at the end of the day, the important thing is that this is happening. If this article is correct, the name is decided. It's over. And you can continue supporting the team, or you can hope MJ brings the Hornets back to Charlotte. I'll still be here, cheering loudly, wearing my Pelican gear, and I hope to look over and see you with me. Because whatever the name is, this team is going to be special eventually. And I'll be happy to shout whatever name that is at the top of my lungs. Who's with lme?
    I haven't read through all 18 pages but this so far is most rational response I've seen. I dont like the name but if it is this Im not going to let it derail me from rooting for and following a franchise like I have been for the last 15+ years.

    I'm also sure its been discussed I just haven't seen it. But I'm also disappointed all of my hornets gear is now worthless. It would be a good promotion for some stores to allow people to bring in hornets stuff for a discount on pelican stuff then they can turn around and donate all hornets things turned in.
    Last edited by Conroy; 12-05-2012 at 02:27 AM.

  21. #446
    Hall of Famer takezor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Barcelona (Catalonia)
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I can complain about the name because I don't care where the team is, Im not a New Orleans native.... nor ever even been there, I've been a Hornets fan for a while, since Charlotte days... the name "Pelicans" has NO meaning to me
    I'm exactly in the same position like you, my brother and me are from Barcelona (Spain) and we have been supporting the Hornets since they were in Charlotte many many years ago.

    If the rebrand goes through, all we can hope now is that the Charlotte Bobcats adquire the "Hornets"

  22. #447
    BUZZ OFF, CHARLOTTE Teal Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    I haven't read through all 18 pages but this so far is most rational response I've seen. I dont like the name but if it is this Im not going to let it derail me from rooting for and following a franchise like I have been for the last 15+ years.

    I'm also sure its been discussed I just haven't seen it. But I'm also disappointed all of my hornets gear is now worthless. It would be a good promotion for some stores to allow people to bring in hornets stuff for a discount on pelican stuff then they can turn around and donate all hornets things turned in.
    People wear throwback stuff all the time. I've got a Hornets jacket that might last me for a lifetime and I'm certainly not going to put it in mothballs. In fact, I'm going to make sure I get a couple of items with the Fleur de Bee before they become hard to find.

    Quote Originally Posted by takezor View Post
    I'm exactly in the same position like you, my brother and me are from Barcelona (Spain) and we have been supporting the Hornets since they were in Charlotte many many years ago.

    If the rebrand goes through, all we can hope now is that the Charlotte Bobcats adquire the "Hornets"
    I can understand your reasoning, but another franchise will NEVER be the Hornets that we grew up watching. I'll bear a lifelong grudge against the Bobcats if they become the poser hornets.
    With purple and pinstripes from days gone by, I trumpet Hugo's name to the NOLA sky. When rebranders and posers abuse their might, beware my power, TEAL LANTERN'S LIGHT!

    Forever hating the nickname, the logos, and the colors. Still backing the team I've loved since 1994.

    Stolen name. Stolen colors. Stolen identity. Still the same old worthless Slobcats. Suck sludge, Charlotte.

  23. #448
    ^^ I know 2 friends who are hornets fans (lifelong hornets fans who have poured tons of time and money into this team) who have said they will become Charlotte fans if they rebrand back to the Hornets.

    Me, I'm probably going to stick with NO...even as the Pelicans because this is the team i've been watching all of these years. This sucks and I will always be bitter towards Benson for doing this, i think this a ridiculous move. Pelicans is an awful name, it sounds childish and ridiculous. You are only setting yourself up for a few years to bad jokes from espn/tnt cew/late night comedians/fellow nba fans.

    And for the NO fans that tell me that my opinion is any less than theirs... well I have seen around 25-30 games in NO, I have bought more NO apparel/hornets crap than 99% of other hornets fans. I have worn NO hornets stuff everywhere. I have watched nearly every NO hornets game. I have been a die-hard life-long fans for 18 years!

    I will probably stick with this team but I'm still on the fence.

  24. #449
    Hall of Famer takezor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Barcelona (Catalonia)
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    People wear throwback stuff all the time. I've got a Hornets jacket that might last me for a lifetime and I'm certainly not going to put it in mothballs. In fact, I'm going to make sure I get a couple of items with the Fleur de Bee before they become hard to find.



    I can understand your reasoning, but another franchise will NEVER be the Hornets that we grew up watching. I'll bear a lifelong grudge against the Bobcats if they become the poser hornets.

    Why would you be mad at Charlotte? The Hornets were formed in Charlotte, so the most natural thing is that now MJ gets back what they lost when the team moved to New Orleans! Most of the Bobcats fans want the identity back if NOLA rebrands.
    The colours, the logo, the name, the mascot, everything is BEAUTY to me.

    Personally if all this goes through I will be following both teams... it will not be the same though.
    Last edited by takezor; 12-05-2012 at 05:39 AM.

  25. #450
    A team name and brand counts. So many Charlotte fans want Hornets over Bobcats. Why haven't they gotten over it and just moved on? I hear talks of fans wanting to rebrand the Wizards again as well and they changed there color scheme back to what it originally was.

    With all the great things this city has created, identify with, and/or have history with it's disheartening that the best name out of that is Pelicans.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •