Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

I don't dislike the name, personally, i think it can make for a cool logo and uniform etc. Two points though:

1. This has been mentioned a bit, New Orleans Pelicans is a bit long-winded, and is unlikely to be very catchy.

2. Could you imagine, say LeBron James, being interviewed and saying "we've got a big game coming up against the Pelicans" with a straight face? Trivial? Yes, and I'm all for making actions on the court speak louder than words; but I'd rather not be laughed at by the basketball community.

I guess it's all the same when Anthony Davis dunks it on LBJ's ever receding hairline.

If the Pelicans were in, say, Jacksonville, and were looking to relocate to a NBA-less New Orleans, how many people who are upset about Pelicans would want that franchise as-is?

Really.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    If the Pelicans were in, say, Jacksonville, and were looking to relocate to a NBA-less New Orleans, how many people who are upset about Pelicans would want that franchise as-is?

Really.
    After 10 years it'd probably get re-branded, after 10 years of fans clamoring for a re-brand.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    Why am I not surprised? This organization has a long history of self-humiliation. It's not enough that the team hasn't even gotten to a conference finals in it's first 23 seasons, or had only one division title. Now we have to have the worst name in any pro sports league. LOL! This would be more painful if I hadn't gotten numb to the team's ineptitude a long time ago.

New Orleans Derpbirds. LOL!! What a life.
    Bro.

Last edited by groundpatty; 12-04-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Really.
    But the team has been in New Orleans for a good bit of time now and has a fan base. We shouldn't have to settle for Pelicans if most fans don't want it. There should be a vote imo. Lets focus on reality please...
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatMan504 View Post
    But the team has been in New Orleans for a good bit of time now and has a fan base. We shouldn't have to settle for Pelicans if most fans don't want it. There should be a vote imo. Lets focus on reality please...
    Focus on reality but there should be a vote that didn't happen in reality?

And there should be a vote because Tom Benson bought team?

That's a spectacular idea, but what's done is done.

I'm going to get ROASTED on the 49ers board by all the Lakers and Kings fans. Oy vey.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Really.
    Well from my standpoint I cannot answer that.... :/
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Not that it matters. If there was a vote and Pelicans won people would still complain and say it was rigged.
    That's because there's no way that name would win in a vote lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkaholic View Post
    Louisiana state flag:
    LOL! I don't know where you found that flag but that's not what the Louisiana state flag looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    That's a spectacular idea, but what's done is done.

I'm going to get ROASTED on the 49ers board by all the Lakers and Kings fans. Oy vey.
    Why do you care? Own it. They can't attack it if you embrace it.

Both lakers and 49ers are far worse names. Far far worse.

???????!??!?!?!?!?!?
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    Blue (the primary color of the Louisiana state flag -- actually the state flag is regular blue, not navy blue), was merely a compromise.
    The flag is definitely navyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ANN_142170.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	4500

Quote from ESPN today:

"Anthony Davis is a Pelican, a big, game-changing Pelican."

Our highlights will be awash with goofy bird jokes next year. Oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Why do you care? Own it. They can't attack it if you embrace it.

Both lakers and 49ers are far worse names. Far far worse.
    49ers is an awesome name. Those were some rugged guys. And, NO, I will never "own" Pelicans. All the mirth we are giving the media right now is warranted.

I'lll buy something that says "New Orleans" with the new colors, but I'll never wear a Derpbird.

Are you from Nola? If not, that explains a lot.

49ers are named after a year when a bunch of illiterate men came and raped the land. Yay?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Are you from Nola? If not, that explains a lot.

49ers are named after a year when a bunch of illiterate men came and raped the land. Yay?
    Nope...and I've never been to Cali, either. The 49ers are named after men who were dedicated to finding fortune and often did so...just like the 49ers did in the 80s and 90s.

Fare thee well, my fellow *snicker* Pelican backers. It's time to pop over to said board and take my beating like a man.
    Last edited by Teal Lantern; 12-05-2012 at 12:10 AM.

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    Its going to take a while to get used to people, I'm sure Browns fans weren't to excited to here their name, but like I'm telling my roomate, the one thing that can change our minds quick would be a real "FIRE-***" logo design.

Embarrassing!

....and that's the best we could come up with? #LaughingStock

The Browns are named after their rival's owner.

How's that?

Fans put too much stock into this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    That's an inane argument because there are unlimited possibilities of what the name COULD be. People are upset that their favorite name wasn't picked, it's as simple as that.
    Not really. After the re-brand movement became official months ago, clear leaders have arisen. Those are Krewe and Brass, with Angels, Cardinals, Voodoo, and a few others close behind. Unlike this one, most people would have been ecstatic to somewhat happy with any of those.

If they officially change it to the short version Pels, I can begin the healing process.

Hornets Pelicans Nest

Pretty easy forum name change (assuming pelicans have nests?).

The Browns are named after their rival's owner.

How's that?

Fans put too much stock into this stuff.
    The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name.

Unlike for us, Cleveland's fans stock is what chose that name.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-05-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Maybe they should've gone with the New Orleans Bensons.

A vote???? Seriously? The fans should support the home team not JUST the name. Goodness. Are we really acting like we are going to lose sleep over this??? Go Pelicans, P'cans or whatever. Hell.... NEWORLEANSBBALL is what we should truly celebrate.

Thank you Mr. Benson for purchasing the team and keeping I here and feel free to name YOUR team whatever you like. Because I LOVE New Orleans I will support whatever the name is.

Thread Information