Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    LOL

Haven't seen the official logo can you post it here?
    There is no official logo because it isn't the official name yet. This is speculation by Yahoo! Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    You get over people not liking it. And I don't have to do anyhing. I am still going to call this team the hornets from here on out.
    I hate the name too but talk about being in denial LOL

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I can sport that
    See? Not so bad, isn't it? (Not that it will be the official logo or anything, but for example's sake)

I know myself and several others have been involved in the rebrand threads for a while. One thing that a few of us bought up was how a brand (unis, colors, etc.) can help make a nickname. Admittedly, when I first heard Pelicans I was like "LOL WTH NOOOOO." But when I saw some nice concepts for it (BigDub plus maybe a couple others like above), it grew on me after being able to see it nicely done. Wasn't my favorite, but it's cool. I dig it. Unique name. Non-inanimate object or fictional figure.

And if Gayle's color thing is true, yeah it sounds like a weird combo, but if schemed similarly to the above, it will go hard. So personally, I'm hoping for a fire logo, color scheme, and jerseys to really bring the name together.

Winning solves everything
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I think the backlash is a little more because we know what the alternatives are. Pelicans seemed to be at the bottom of that barrel everytime.
    That's an inane argument because there are unlimited possibilities of what the name COULD be. People are upset that their favorite name wasn't picked, it's as simple as that.

"Spurs? what is fierce about a boot accessory?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by (Lance Thomas) slangmagic View Post
    I don't care what the team name is... Same standards, same principals, same work ethic, and same heart. #NOLA #LetsGo
    Love it! From his twitter
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    See? Not so bad, isn't it? (Not that it will be the official logo or anything, but for example's sake)

I know myself and several others have been involved in the rebrand threads for a while. One thing that a few of us bought up was how a brand (unis, colors, etc.) can help make a nickname. Admittedly, when I first heard Pelicans I was like "LOL WTH NOOOOO." But when I saw some nice concepts for it (BigDub plus maybe a couple others like above), it grew on me after being able to see it nicely done. Wasn't my favorite, but it's cool. I dig it. Unique name. Non-inanimate object or fictional figure.

And if Gayle's color thing is true, yeah it sounds like a weird combo, but if schemed similarly to the above, it will go hard. So personally, I'm hoping for a fire logo, color scheme, and jerseys to really bring the name together.
    Yeah true depending how it looks, then it can make the name less weakeri will miss the hornets tho

Quote Originally Posted by NDHornet View Post
    I'm patiently awaiting all of the gifs depicting pelicans sporting untrimmed unibrows.

You guys realize that pelicans eat other animals whole, right? Coolest **** ever.
    LOL YES!! Eat them ALIVE at that!!! FEAR THE NECK SACK!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Know what's an even better way to choose name? It's 1995. What's a popular movie in the last two years? Jurassic Park!

Know what's an even betterer way to choose a name? What's a name of something on a basketball court? Now, can't be the Goals. Or the Baskets. Or the Balls.

How about the Nets!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Was that seriously the choices? I guess i can understand after listenin to some of the suggestions called/texted in to WWL radio....
    People were really high on Sinners... yea.......
    Those were the choices.

Originally Posted by (Lance Thomas) slangmagic View Post
    I don't care what the team name is... Same standards, same principals, same work ethic, and same heart. #NOLA #LetsGo
    Love it! From his twitter
    Best thing I've read all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Winning solves everything
    Just ask the Thunder.

I can't wait to see how our mascot will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    "Fans help" can consist of as little as just a local conversation of possibilities (which there was) it's the ego of the fan that made them think there would be a vote of some kind.
    I wouldn't call it ego. I think excitement.

I was never sure where the fan vote thing came from.

Benson did do one for Voodoo, at least. There was a precedent. Still, I didn't equate the help with a vote and have no issues with this process this time.

Not that it matters. If there was a vote and Pelicans won people would still complain and say it was rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Not that it matters. If there was a vote and Pelicans won people would still complain and say it was rigged.
    That's the same thing I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I wouldn't call it ego. I think excitement.

I was never sure where the fan vote thing came from.

Benson did do one for Voodoo, at least. There was a precedent. Still, I didn't equate the help with a vote and have no issues with this process this time.
    I equated "help" with some type of extensive focus testing or something not necessarily a vote cause those never go well

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySunday View Post
    I equated "help" with some type of extensive focus testing or something not necessarily a vote cause those never go well
    Perhaps they did employee some kind of analytics that told them "Pelicans" was the right choice?

So what are some nicknames for the Pelicans?

P Cans? Canes? Pels?

This seems like a good sponsorship idea for Canes.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

A focus group or something like that is a far better way to judge reaction than a poll or by leaking names.

For those hoping that's what this is, it seems like a reach given other ways to judge reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    Lol. There is so much wrong in this that I considered not even commenting....but I couldn't help myself.

Navy, red, and gold aren't the colors of the Louisiana state flag. And Tom Benson never owned the Pelicans minor league baseball team.
    I misspoke about Benson previously owning the team because that's someone told me but he does own the naming rights which was my point. And there are four colors in the Louisiana state flag. Blue, red, gold, and white.
    Last edited by saint31; 12-04-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saint31 View Post
    I misspoke about Benson previously owning the team because that's someone told me but he doesn't own the naming rights which was my point. And there are four colors in the Louisiana state flag. Blue, red, gold, and white.
    Louisiana state flag:

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    A focus group or something like that is a far better way to judge reaction than a poll or by leaking names.

For those hoping that's what this is, it seems like a reach given other ways to judge reaction.
    But with the advent of twitter and other social media they essentially have the world as there focus group with in seconds via one leak so I wouldn't put it past them and it did trend most of the evening.

think he means NEW ORLEANS city flag.

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkaholic View Post
    Louisiana state flag:
    Whoops, they updated it and now it's bleeding, so I guess there is a bit of red:

Thread Information