.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 830

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

  1. #301
    Davis made me come home The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,294
    I'll third the perspective preaching. Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean it's the only way to feel. Just because you like the name doesn't mean the people who dislike it are wrong. Just because you dislike the name doesn't mean the people who like it are wrong. Disliking it doesn't make you a female dog whiny baby. Liking it doesn't make you a groveler. It's just how we feel, in the heat of the moment, as raw and unchecked as possible (would be more unchecked if there wasn't a content filter on the forum).

    But at the end of the day, the important thing is that this is happening. If this article is correct, the name is decided. It's over. And you can continue supporting the team, or you can hope MJ brings the Hornets back to Charlotte. I'll still be here, cheering loudly, wearing my Pelican gear, and I hope to look over and see you with me. Because whatever the name is, this team is going to be special eventually. And I'll be happy to shout whatever name that is at the top of my lungs. Who's with me?

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Seriously, people have absolutely zero perspective. The Lakers is smooth? Lakes have NOTHING to do with Los Angeles. But we've heard it so long it's rooted into our consciousnesses to the point where you don't even question why their logo is just words and a streaking basketball. Same reason the average joe doesn't know what a Knick even is. Or a Celtic for that matter.

    20 years from now, none of this crap about the name not being smooth or whatever will matter. Any name will become accepted.

    But yeah, like 42 said, get it all out of your systems now.
    All of those teams have a strong legacy to hold onto with their brand and that's why they wouldn't rebrand.
    If we are going to change the brand their are definitely better options.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This. Not that all the other team names fit their respective cities prefect or are great names, but they are much more catchy than Pelicans. It just sounds like a elementary school mascot and it's clusmy to say. New Orleans Pelicans.
    Thats all I'm saying....it just feels.....kinda lazy you know.... I don't know how to explain it but it just doesn't rock with me. And its not like we haven't been talking about this name for a long time already....it still hasn't grown on me. So what I should wait 20-25 yrs to let it grow on me? LOL. I mean some of us held out on buying new AD jerseys because we were waiting for the rebrand, now that its something unexciting and mostly bland it sucks the excitement out of buying new. It doesn't mean I'm not going to watch/attend games....

  4. #304
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It does fit better if you say Louisiana Pelicans.

    Crescent City Pelicans.
    It's a Louisiana name. Thats the whole business angle. Gotta get more eyeballs on FSNO and their advertisers, which can trickle down into more apparell buys in Lake Charles and Baton Rouge.

    No sir...I don't like it.


  5. #305
    the confident Contributor JOE in NO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    back in New Orleans
    Posts
    1,679
    Saints isn't so fierce either but people got used to it.

  6. #306
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Whats good enough for you ain't good enough for everybody. Some people don't mind an open sewer line running just outside their door. Others will be quite p***d off about it.

    At the end of the day, it's just a game and we'll get over it. But everybody is not meant to be a lap dog. We'll riot soon. You'll see.
    I dont see what this has anything to do with "being a lapdog" or "a minion the grovels at bensons feet". Seriously? This is not some authority thing... Its a basketball team mascot name... Don't like it? Don't buy it. I'll buy an extra one for you.
    Seems like some are a little over-dramatic. I thought the Thunder was a HORRENDOUS name when i first heard it... Now its fine.
    I'll see you guys at the arena rocking Pelicans gear before you know it.

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE in NO View Post
    Saints isn't so fierce either but people got used to it.
    But at least Saints sounds good. You know...

  8. #308
    wahoo Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    the article says they considered krewe and brass... opportunities missed.

    completely agree. Pelicans is god-awful, and Brass would've been sweet.

    Just my opinion.. this is a major fail and we'll be mocked mercilessly.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceedee M View Post
    The five stages of grief

    Denial – This is just a rumor. No way they are considering this name. We may even stay the Hornets.

    Anger – Waaahhh! If people didn’t consider us a joke before, then they surely will now.

    Bargaining – We have to get a petition or something going. Maybe we can pool some money together and get this thing changed.

    Depression – The Pelicans? Really, the Pelicans? This just blew my high.

    Acceptance – You know what? I think I’d look pretty sexy in a red, navy blue, and gold fitted shirt. And I was excited when they made the Pelican stand out more on the Louisiana license plates.
    Love it!

    Personally I am fine with the Pelicans. I would have preferred the Krewe, but I'm sure that the Pelicans brand will grow on me. I can't wait to see the new jersey design and court design for next year. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.....

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  10. #310
    Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    5,585
    I still think Brass is too close to Jazz for that to have worked well.

  11. #311

  12. #312
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    I dont see what this has anything to do with "being a lapdog" or "a minion the grovels at bensons feet". Seriously? This is not some authority thing... Its a basketball team mascot name... Don't like it? Don't buy it. I'll buy an extra one for you.
    Seems like some are a little over-dramatic. I thought the Thunder was a HORRENDOUS name when i first heard it... Now its fine.
    I'll see you guys at the arena rocking Pelicans gear before you know it.
    Well you specifically mentioned Benson "saving the team" and it's "HIS toy". Sounds like groveling to me. The problem is his toy depends on the masses feeding his toy above costs.

    Therefore, some of the masses can like the name, some don't, some abhor it. We all get equal say no matter who decided to seek NBA profits in New Orleans. The outcome in the long run is yet to be determined.

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by saint31 View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that when Gayle Benson said they had decided on the colors navy blue, red, and gold because those are the colors of the state flag, Yahoo! started digging around and found that the Benson owns the name New Orleans Pelicans from when he owned the minor league baseball team.
    Lol. There is so much wrong in this that I considered not even commenting....but I couldn't help myself.

    Navy, red, and gold aren't the colors of the Louisiana state flag. And Tom Benson never owned the Pelicans minor league baseball team.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

  14. #314
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    Why is it that the whole 24/7 crew treat act like they're better than the other fans? damn why must you go that far to diss somebody for not agreeing to a name? it's not that serious dude stop smelling yourself
    I do not like the name nearly as much as others, and I like it less than Hornets (but it'll grow on me just the same in time).

    The griping about Benson should have let the fans pick (the reply of mine was in reply to that note) is what is was in reference to, and that general attitude.

    So I am not being sassy because of any disagreement about the name. I'm point out how infantile it is to take the good (local owner with cash) but complain about the bad (the name you don't like) WHILE complaining that really we should only have gotten the good.

    And were is the rest of the crew doing this?
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I still think Brass is too close to Jazz for that to have worked well.
    I was just thinking the same thing.

  16. #316
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Well you specifically mentioned Benson "saving the team" and it's "HIS toy". Sounds like groveling to me. The problem is his toy depends on the masses feeding his toy above costs.

    Therefore, some of the masses can like the name, some don't, some abhor it. We all get equal say no matter who decided to seek NBA profits in New Orleans. The outcome in the long run is yet to be determined.
    groveling present participle of grov·el (Verb)
    Verb
    Lie or move abjectly on the ground with one's face downward.
    Act in an obsequious manner in order to obtain someone's forgiveness or favor.

    thankfulness
    gratefulness: warm friendly feelings of gratitude.


    Big difference

  17. #317
    Hornets fan from NJ! Vinny6420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    I can sport that
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks


    RIP HunnyB

    This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

  18. #318
    It only sounds weird because it's new, once it's done and we've been through a season it will be second nature and no one will even think twice about it. Hell not just 4 years ago i remember OKC getting trashed for their color scheme and awful name, now they are good and have been around so no one even cares.

  19. #319
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    He said flat out, and this is a near quote (I was sitting there): We need the fans' help.

    And that got people excited. Understandably so.

    That does not mean that following up on that is best for business or that the contest would have the names anyone really wanted.

    Example: There was a contest to rename the Bullets. The choices: Dragons, Express, Stallions, Sea Dogs, Wizards.

    Ok, pick.

  20. #320
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    groveling present participle of grov·el (Verb)
    Verb
    Lie or move abjectly on the ground with one's face downward.
    Act in an obsequious manner in order to obtain someone's forgiveness or favor.

    thankfulness
    gratefulness: warm friendly feelings of gratitude.


    Big difference
    You can be thankful for someone doing you a favor in the past, but then they show up months later and give you an ugly *** pair of shoes and demand you wear them...grovel or thankful?

  21. #321
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    He said flat out, and this is a near quote (I was sitting there): We need the fans' help.

    And that got people excited. Understandably so.

    That does not mean that following up on that is best for business or that the contest would have the names anyone really wanted.

    Example: There was a contest to rename the Bullets. The choices: Dragons, Express, Stallions, Sea Dogs, Wizards.

    Ok, pick.
    Was that seriously the choices? I guess i can understand after listenin to some of the suggestions called/texted in to WWL radio....
    People were really high on Sinners... yea.......

  22. #322
    Hall of Famer NDHornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    694
    I'm patiently awaiting all of the gifs depicting pelicans sporting untrimmed unibrows.

    You guys realize that pelicans eat other animals whole, right? Coolest **** ever.

  23. #323
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    He said flat out, and this is a near quote (I was sitting there): We need the fans' help.

    And that got people excited. Understandably so.
    "Fans help" can consist of as little as just a local conversation of possibilities (which there was) it's the ego of the fan that made them think there would be a vote of some kind.

  24. #324
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    It only sounds weird because it's new, once it's done and we've been through a season it will be second nature and no one will even think twice about it. Hell not just 4 years ago i remember OKC getting trashed for their color scheme and awful name, now they are good and have been around so no one even cares.
    I think the backlash is a little more because we know what the alternatives are. Pelicans seemed to be at the bottom of that barrel everytime.

  25. #325
    Al-Faryan Anderminu Mr. Mojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    completely agree. Pelicans is god-awful, and Brass would've been sweet.

    Just my opinion.. this is a major fail and we'll be mocked mercilessly.
    I don't even think pelicans is terrible or that we'll be mocked in anyway that lasts, I was just really surprised/disappointed that a few of my favorites (that I thought where total longshots at actually happening) came so close but lost to the overtly traditional choice. But believe me I am very excited for a rebrand.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •