Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I can complain about the name because I don't care where the team is, Im not a New Orleans native.... nor ever even been there, I've been a Hornets fan for a while, since Charlotte days... the name "Pelicans" has NO meaning to me
    Well Charlotte is taking the name back supposedly so they live on.... with Jordan.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I can complain about the name because I don't care where the team is, Im not a New Orleans native.... nor ever even been there, I've been a Hornets fan for a while, since Charlotte days... the name "Pelicans" has NO meaning to me
    You can complain, we can like the name, we can tell you to get over it...it's a forum, we're all allowed to feel the way we feel.

I couldnt have said it better myself. Seems like its more about fashion than basketball on here lol
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Exactly... The man (benson) literally saved Basketball in this town. How can anyone complain what he changes the name to?
    It's HIS toy (well really seems like Gayles toy but) Be happy we have a team! Would you rather it stayed Hornets and left to go Las Vegas or wherever?
    Team could be called the New Orleans turdsandwiches and i'd still rock it proudly.
    If Wayne is E.T.-ish tell him phone home

Exactly... The man (benson) literally saved Basketball in this town. How can anyone complain what he changes the name to?
    It's HIS toy (well really seems like Gayles toy but) Be happy we have a team! Would you rather it stayed Hornets and left to go Las Vegas or wherever?
    Team could be called the New Orleans turdsandwiches and i'd still rock it proudly.
    Quit lyin. LOL.

Just cuz he bought the team don't mean fans can't be fans and have an opinion. If people don't like the name thats their right. Just cuz he spent his money don't mean WE have to spend money on the merchandise. We can spend money to watch the team which is just as supportive but like I said earlier. Me personally....I'm not spending my money on clothes/merchandise if i don't like the name on it. Doesn't mean I don't like the team on the court. You don't have to have a whole bunch of Pelicans gear to be a fan of the team.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    I personally will never forgive Benson for this. Terrible.
    It's easily the least fierce name in the league.

Well Charlotte is taking the name back supposedly so they live on.... with Jordan.....
    Yeah I read that, but that isn't the same Hornets I grew to love
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by pmarhornetsfan View Post
    Wizards, Magic... what you got?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaqmoon View Post

I couldnt have said it better myself. Seems like its more about fashion than basketball on here lol
    My question is why does it have to be like the name or lose the team. If we don't like Pelicans there's nothing wrong expressing it. Maybe if enough people feel the same it can effect the name. Who knows?

Also while I'm thrilled to have basketball remaining in the city. Don't for a second fool yourself to think Benson did this for "us". This was a business decision. So while he's the owner and have the majority of control in the final name we the fans have to consume what he's selling.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 12-04-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Cant say im scared of Lakers, Celtics, Jazz, or Magic either tho

I think it's official. I mean the story leaked today and Stern is in New Orleans tomorrow

I don't like it either but IMO its not about it being fierce per say. Its more about it being something catchy. Something thats smooth, like Lakers, Pacers etc. Or something thats has a little excitement to it, like Heat, Thunder. I can't get hype or excited for no Pelicans. Hornets had more pop than Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    My question is why does it have to be like the name or lose the team. If we don't like Pelicans there's nothing wrong expressing it. Maybe if enough people feel the same it can effect the name. Who knows?

Also while I'm thrilled to have basketball remaining in the city. Don't for a second and fool yourself to think Benson did this for "us". This was a business decision. So while he's the owner and have the majority of control in the final name we the fans have to consume what he's selling.
    Hey, as long as we have pro basketball in this city I will. What matters is NEW ORLEANS not the silly mascot or cartoon or animal or force of nature or whatever that comes after it.

No. I'm not a minion that grovels at feet. I was watching NBA basketball LONG before a team came here. It's also a two way street. Benson wants a profit, which is to be provided by whom?

A season ticket, single ticket, FSNO watching, apparel buying fan can be as disgruntled as they well please about a unilaterally chosen name to represent THEIR chosen team as anybody.

Pick yourself up young man,

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Yes.

$338m to buy then all these other costs, like $13m+ for Lewis, other changes. Yeah, tons of money.

But he owes us!

Hilarious.

A bunch of ingrates. Spoiled ingrates. No perspective.

Why is it that the whole 24/7 crew treat act like they're better than the other fans? damn why must you go that far to diss somebody for not agreeing to a name? it's not that serious dude stop smelling yourself

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No. I'm not a minion that grovels at feet. I was watching NBA basketball LONG before a team came here. It's also a two way street. Benson wants a profit, which is to be provided by whom?

A season ticket, single ticket, FSNO watching, apparel buying fan can be as disgruntled as they well please about a unilaterally chosen name to represent THEIR chosen team as anybody.

^ This...

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post

Also while I'm thrilled to have basketball remaining in the city. Don't for a second and fool yourself to think Benson did this for "us". This was a business decision. So while he's the owner and have the majority of control in the final name we the fans have to consume what he's selling.
    Well most know I'd love to keep the Hornets name but Pelicans isn't the worst name that I heard thrown around. I'll continue to preach that winning cures all. If the Hornets, Pelicans, Cathedrals or whatever win the title....I RIOT

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Well I'm not so young and i stand by my statement. I've watched and played basketball for a long time as well which is why i'll be a fan and SUPPORT my team (our team) no matter what its called. If it says NEW ORLEANS on it....thats good enough for me. You guys can whine and complain all you want.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Seriously, people have absolutely zero perspective. The Lakers is smooth? Lakes have NOTHING to do with Los Angeles. But we've heard it so long it's rooted into our consciousnesses to the point where you don't even question why their logo is just words and a streaking basketball. Same reason the average joe doesn't know what a Knick even is. Or a Celtic for that matter.

20 years from now, none of this crap about the name not being smooth or whatever will matter. Any name will become accepted.

But yeah, like 42 said, get it all out of your systems now.

Hey, as long as we have pro basketball in this city I will. What matters is NEW ORLEANS not the silly mascot or cartoon or animal or force of nature or whatever that comes after it.
    This is how I feel now. I didn't want the name change at first because my kid loves Hugo and some other reasons but i'm sure the new name will grow on everybody pretty soon. Go Pelis

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    I don't like it either but IMO its not about it being fierce per say. Its more about it being something catchy. Something thats smooth, like Lakers, Pacers etc. Or something thats has a little excitement to it, like Heat, Thunder. I can't get hype or excited for no Pelicans. Hornets had more pop than Pelicans.
    This. Not that all the other team names fit their respective cities prefect or are great names, but they are much more catchy than Pelicans. It just sounds like a elementary school mascot and it's clusmy to say. New Orleans Pelicans.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It does fit better if you say Louisiana Pelicans.

Crescent City Pelicans.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Poplarville Pelicans.

Well I'm not so young and i stand by my statement. I've watched and played basketball for a long time as well which is why i'll be a fan and SUPPORT my team (our team) no matter what its called. If it says NEW ORLEANS on it....thats good enough for me. You guys can whine and complain all you want.
    Whats good enough for you ain't good enough for everybody. Some people don't mind an open sewer line running just outside their door. Others will be quite p***d off about it.

At the end of the day, it's just a game and we'll get over it. But everybody is not meant to be a lap dog. We'll riot soon. You'll see.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    Not saying the fierceness is why I don't like it. But I agree lakers, magic,pacers are all smooth and fit nicely. Pelicans though? A big goofy looking bird to represent a sports team?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Seriously, people have absolutely zero perspective. The Lakers is smooth? Lakes have NOTHING to do with Los Angeles. But we've heard it so long it's rooted into our consciousnesses to the point where you don't even question why their logo is just words and a streaking basketball. Same reason the average joe doesn't know what a Knick even is. Or a Celtic for that matter.

20 years from now, none of this crap about the name not being smooth or whatever will matter. Any name will become accepted.

But yeah, like 42 said, get it all out of your systems now.
    This may very well end up being the situation. However this isn't 20 years from now it's today and today Pelicans IMO is an awful name for a professional team. In 20 years if it's not even a deal anymore so be it.

Thread Information