Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by cki3915 View Post
    You know, for almost 60 years, the name "Pelicans" was professional sports in this city. There was no Saints, no NBA, no nothing other than the Pelicans. It is just sad that so many people are not taught that part of our history. Sure, it was just a minor league baseball team, but they were New Orleans. This name is a testament to those past times and I love it.

How many people here even know where Pelican Stadium was.
    Tulane Ave correct?

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    That would look even better with a lighter court like one of these:

I was just thinking last night about how our court currently looks waaaaaay too yellow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by RubberBandCat View Post
    Am I the only one who loves it?
    I love it! And the blogosphere also exploded negatively when Thunder, was announced. Most people thought Outlaws should've been their name. Now no one cares, and winning will make all you haters not even think twice about it.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    You know, for almost 60 years, the name "Pelicans" was professional sports in this city. There was no Saints, no NBA, no nothing other than the Pelicans. It is just sad that so many people are not taught that part of our history. Sure, it was just a minor league baseball team, but they were New Orleans. This name is a testament to those past times and I love it.
    Great post. This just solidified how much I like the name

I'd rather fight one Pelican as compared to one Hornet
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

I would love to have them keep the Hornets but I'm down with The Pelicans. This just goes to show that you can't please everyone because a lot of the people I see butt hurt are the main ones that were crying for years about a name change.
    If Wayne is E.T.-ish tell him phone home

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    I was just thinking last night about how our court currently looks waaaaaay too yellow.
    For comparisons sake:

Take a ride in my magical neck sack!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finding_nemo_bruce_albatros_dentists_sydney.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	4499

I love the CURRENT Hornets floor, I will miss it :/

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Tulane Ave correct?
    Yup Tulane and Carollton. Where the old Bayou Plaza self storage place is now. If you look at it from the I-10 Carollton overpass, it is in the shape of a baseball diamond.

Pelicans is not a bad name.

The Mascot wouldn't be bad either.

Bad mascots look like this...

The HEAT mascot or The MAGIC.

I'll take Pelicans.
    This is all.

The Franchise
    Why wouldn't you let the fans vote on it

Look at the bright side. Look at how much buzz this has gotten. It shows how many of us love our team.

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Why wouldn't you let the fans vote on it
    Because they didn't just drop 350+ million to own the team.

First of all this isn't set in stone. It hasn't been announced by the team. Yahoo does the worst job of journalism. They try to be the first to report on everything so they'll just speculate on something in hopes of being right for the sake of being the first to report it. I have a sneaking suspicion that when Gayle Benson said they had decided on the colors navy blue, red, and gold because those are the colors of the state flag, Yahoo! started digging around and found that the Benson owns the name New Orleans Pelicans from when he owned the minor league baseball team. Then speculated that since the Brown Pelican is also on the state flag they just threw the news out as truth. But that being said, I too, am simply speculating LOL! Bottom line: I don't want to see no damn Pelicans playing basketball!

Eh, I would have much prefered Brass or even Krewe than the Pelicans. For those of us old enough, that name will always be associated with minor league baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I'd rather fight one Pelican as compared to one Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    I choose to remain patient. One small speculative yahoo article (although they are usually on point) is not full confirmation.

Has anyone else seen this confirmed? how do we know Yahoo didn't just rip off 247?

Until it is confirmed I will restrain from drowning myself in my toilet.
    Yeah, if 247 said, it has to be false.

Also, the team isn't on FSNO, FSNO is not on DirecTV, etc, there are no LED boards just added to the Arena, and the Voodoo aren't playing 6 games in the Dome due to the Arena renovations this coming summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Exactly... The man (benson) literally saved Basketball in this town. How can anyone complain what he changes the name to?
    It's HIS toy (well really seems like Gayles toy but) Be happy we have a team! Would you rather it stayed Hornets and left to go Las Vegas or wherever?
    Team could be called the New Orleans turdsandwiches and i'd still rock it proudly.

Quote Originally Posted by saint31 View Post
    First of all this isn't set in stone. It hasn't been announced by the team. Yahoo does the worst job of journalism. They try to be the first to report on everything so they'll just speculate on something in hopes of being right for the sake of being the first to report it. I have a sneaking suspicion that when Gayle Benson said they had decided on the colors navy blue, red, and gold because those are the colors of the state flag, Yahoo! started digging around and found that the Benson owns the name New Orleans Pelicans from when he owned the minor league baseball team. Then speculated that since the Brown Pelican is also on the state flag they just threw the news out as truth. But that being said, I too, am simply speculating LOL! Bottom line: I don't want to see no damn Pelicans playing basketball!
    Keep reaching. There's alot more to it, but reality is little affected by your preferences.

Why would the team announce something that hasn't been approved by the NBA? The story is this is what ownership wants.

I can complain about the name because I don't care where the team is, Im not a New Orleans native.... nor ever even been there, I've been a Hornets fan for a while, since Charlotte days... the name "Pelicans" has NO meaning to me

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar

How many people here even know where Pelican Stadium was.
    I was honestly unaware of how long Pelicans were a part of sports in this city. This makes me feel a lot better about the name. Great post.

I like pelicans, though Voodoo is definitely my favorite. I'm not thrilled w/ the color combo though

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Exactly... The man (benson) literally saved Basketball in this town. How can anyone complain what he changes the name to?
    It's HIS toy (well really seems like Gayles toy but) Be happy we have a team! Would you rather it stayed Hornets and left to go Las Vegas or wherever?
    Team could be called the New Orleans turdsandwiches and i'd still rock it proudly.
    People forget about that when there's a change they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Yes.

$338m to buy then all these other costs, like $13m+ for Lewis, other changes. Yeah, tons of money.

But he owes us!

Hilarious.

A bunch of ingrates. Spoiled ingrates. No perspective.

Thread Information