Pelicans Report

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Here's just one Boston Celtics forum and their thoughts on the Thunder name when they first heard it. That's just one forum. Today, they probably couldn't care less.
    There are several online polls you can find about the Thunder at the time. Intense hate.

Now, no one cares.

And so it will be...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I like the Pelicans more than the Thunder. The Thunder is just generic and bad, regardless how much they won.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Great. I will have to cheer for the Charlie Weis of birds.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Dean Kumagai: Anything but the Pelicans, they will lose a fan if they change to that, been a HORNETS fan since they began as an expansion team in Charlotte, but will not support the Pelicans......dumb name
    26 minutes ago via mobile · Like
    I can't help but laugh at people who say they won't support a team anymore because of the name, hahaha.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    ESPN is just making a mockery of this whole franchise
    Man, ESPN can {edited - veiled language}
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    But thats the thing. These names were given during a certain era (and half of the names you threw out are fit the sport ie baseball) where those were good names for teams at that time. Its a different time now and Pelicans IMO fits more with something from a Knickerbockers era. I realize some people here don't care for how things are seen are done as far as social media in this day and age but thats what it is....the baby boomer demographic doesn't run things anymore....if the last 2 elections didn't show you exactly where this society is at this moment when it comes to the country being taken over by the young population then I don't know how else it could be explained.

The world is different....opinions seem to actually matter more than back in the day because the consumer has an outlet where their opinions can be heard in real time....social media can make or break businesses now a days. Not saying this is going to break the team or anything but from the backlash on social media users in NOLA alone about this name tells you everything you need to know about your targeted fanbase. Its the age of technology and social media....yes you have those people that just want to be the first to make negative comments but it also have people who genuinly voice their actual opinion. Everyone thats complaining on the social media outlets that everyone hates is the targeted fanbase like it or not.

Yeah, names have to be slick and cool, cuz you gotta be down with the kids, yo. How about the New Olreans #YOLO? That's bound to resonate with the kiddies.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 12-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    But thats the thing. These names were given during a certain era
    Utterly irrelevant. The name is what it is. If we're going to strictly talk about a name, and not history, then all names must be considered in a vacuum.

KNICKERBOCKERS. Think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I can't help but laugh at people who say they won't support a team anymore because of the name, hahaha.
    Their loss, once the New Orleans Pelicans are NBA champions I'll laugh at them again.

As far as ESPN goes, all they're doing is make a mockery of themselves, like usual. If the uniforms and logo looks good, and the team starts winning, all the whiners will come around...

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    It's like breaking up with your girlfriend because of the way she dresses. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    It's like breaking up with your girlfriend because of the way she dresses. Ridiculous.
    What if she wears knickerbockers?

More likely to break up with her because of the way she doesn't undress, yes?

Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

I don't know if anyone's said it or not but the mascot would have to be rusty the pelican

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    More likely to break up with her because of the way she doesn't undress, yes?
    Not if you like it with clothes on.

Starter
    My first reaction was shaking my head. It just doesn't have a good ring to it.

But I guess I shall reserve judgement until colors and logo/uniform. This could change my opinion.

But like many have said, many common names would be silly if it came out today, but you grow to accept it. I hope I do.

Monty: "My thing has always been the name on the front of the jersey. As long as it’s New Orleans, I’m happy. The league controls all that stuff. I’m pretty sure there is some local creativity going on, and that’s great. Personally, I’m more concerned with the fact that we are a New Orleans franchise, because we all care deeply about the city. As long as the team is here, I’m cool with whatever name we have.”

http://www.nba.com/hornets/blog/shoo...s-lakers-12512

HERE'S PIERRE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Millán View Post
    Monty: "My thing has always been the name on the front of the jersey. As long as it’s New Orleans, I’m happy. The league controls all that stuff. I’m pretty sure there is some local creativity going on, and that’s great. Personally, I’m more concerned with the fact that we are a New Orleans franchise, because we all care deeply about the city. As long as the team is here, I’m cool with whatever name we have.”

http://www.nba.com/hornets/blog/shoo...s-lakers-12512
    IB4 "this is spin, what do you expect Monty to say about the team he works for?"

Not if you like it with clothes on.
    Well, yeah!

But there's got to be a little undr . . . . oh . . . hiiiiyyyyyooooo!!!!

Chris Trew / Terp 2 it Penuckle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LAHornet85 View Post
    All,

This is seriously bad. You can tell no test groups were done about this. NBA teams need to be marketed to young guys, and no young guy wants to sport a Pelicans hat.

Join my facebook group against it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Ben...1567805?ref=hl
    Most of the people with season tickets are adults and I just asked 45 young people if they would want to sport a Pelicans hat and 42 of them said yes. Next.
    Trew 2 the Game: New column + podcast every Tuesday on BourbonStShots.com and Itsneworleans.com

Co-founder of The New Movement/Studio8.net
    http://twitter.com/christrew

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    On behalf of everyone outside of Louisiana we don't care that you don't care what we think.
    This message board is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Penuckle View Post
    Most of the people with season tickets are adults and I just asked 45 young people if they would want to sport a Pelicans hat and 42 of them said yes. Next.
    Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Penuckle View Post
    Bull, you're a comedian, this name is right up your alley.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Kind of a rough job, but this was originally purple and I used photoshop to change it to red:

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Can I also say that Hornets international fans and fans in US outside of New orleans might outweigh the amount of fans in New Orleans and I am not kidding.. I don't think I could say this about any other team.
    Can I also say that the above post might be inaccurate? Also that anything might be better/worse than something else? I am not kidding either.

Can we also also say that the only fan that matter is Tom Benson? And maybe the BoG?

And maybe none of this matters?

And maybe I'll be thrilled when it's over?

"Nobody gives Pittsburgh grief about the Penguins. At least Pelicans can fly. I'm just saying."

saw this on twitter. lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    And maybe the BoG?
    If they end up not liking the name we could end up with something far worse....

Thread Information