Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    No matter how you dress up the justification....the name is still wack. Its true almost all NBA names are wack....but this one is the wackest. I mean what can you shorten it to.. the Pels...that wack too. Just shortened wackness. LOL.
    Must you be so PelicIN-satiable?

I choose to remain patient. One small speculative yahoo article (although they are usually on point) is not full confirmation.

Has anyone else seen this confirmed? how do we know Yahoo didn't just rip off 247?

Until it is confirmed I will restrain from drowning myself in my toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Language changes with time but not this language!

Let it all out. Let the tantrum flow!

{Mod edit-Inappropriate}

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    the silver lining I see is that our mascot's pecker would probably be the envy of the league....
    And this is the reason why people will buy the merchandise. No other team's shirts will have a big pecker on them.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    The twitter world just exploded with hatred for the name. I know people in New Orleans like the name but the NBA is too national let alone global to go with a name like that. You gotta sell merchandise, you have to sell ticket at away games when the Pelicans come to town. You can say other NBA names are weird but this one is on another level. Also name changes usually go to a vote... interesting how that doesn't look like the case here
    Agreed 100%. I didn't want a rebrand at all, I've been a Hornets fan since like 10 years ago when they were in Charlotte and it's really sad that they are giving away the name, the logo, the colours and the identity.

And Pelicans? It sounds so ridiculous. I, at least expected something better like Voodoo, although I wasn't excited neither. It's never going to be the same.

NOW I just hope Charlotte gets back the "Hornets" name and logo.

No matter how you dress up the justification....the name is still wack. Its true almost all NBA names are wack....but this one is the wackest. I mean what can you shorten it to.. the Pels...that wack too. Just shortened wackness. LOL.
    It'll prob be shortened to NOPE lol. All we can hope is that Benson changes his mind and if not we'll live with it and pack the Hiv.....uhh... Nest.....in support of our PeliCANS

I don't like it at all. I will of course be completely behind the team, but until I see the logo, etc., I'll be sick about it.....
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

I don't think it's bad. It was one of my preferences. You don't like it. That sucks for you.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

IM IN
    asdfghjkl;'

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    I choose to remain patient. One small speculative yahoo article (although they are usually on point) is not full confirmation.

Has anyone else seen this confirmed? how do we know Yahoo didn't just rip off 247?

The official statement from the Benson camp was nothing had been decided and the league has final say over names colors etc...

John Reid talked to Stern who apparently will be in NOLA for the Lakers game which is very coincidental leading me personally to believe the league or the Hornets leaked it to yahoo for test reactions possibly locally and nationally

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Jesus people
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Oh God no!
    Now I love it!

Honestly I hate the name!
    But I love the team so its just a name......no body will care when we win a championship.

No wonder Gordon doesn't want to be here LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySunday View Post
    The official statement from the Benson camp was nothing had been decided and the league has final say over names colors etc...

John Reid talked to Stern who apparently will be in NOLA for the Lakers game which is very coincidental leading me personally to believe the league or the Hornets leaked it to yahoo for test reactions possibly locally and nationally
    Yeah I was thinking this could be a unofficial test run.

Most people I come across strongly dislikes it.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post

{Mod edit-Inappropriate}
    Is that guy trying to insert something up his own @#$%?

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Yeah I was thinking this could be a unofficial test run.

Most people I come across strongly dislikes it.
    Yeah I never cared for it but I was kinda shocked how many locals reacted negatively on both WWL's and WAFB's fb when they posted statues about it.

I was 100% sure it'd be a hit down here

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    Is that guy trying to insert something up his own @#$%?
    That was my first thought too.

Seriously, some of yall will hate on anything and everything. Pelicans is no worse then the following.....
    Nets
    Thunder
    Magic
    Wizards
    Lakers
    Bobcats
    Heat
    Raptors
    Clippers
    Rockets
    Timberwolves

People still play for those teams... people still buy merchandise for those teams. You'll get used to it, accept it, and embrace it.

I dont think this is a test run at all. I see the angle. They went with a state wide name instead of a city one. $$$ in the long run drove this decision and probably was forced by the NBA itself.

Oh well, the Benson's just screwed themselves out of paraphernalia sales of any kind worth mentioning. I will attend games but won't buy any team merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Seriously, some of yall will hate on anything and everything. Pelicans is no worse then the following.....
    Nets
    Thunder
    Magic
    Wizards
    Lakers
    Bobcats
    Heat
    Raptors
    Clippers
    Rockets
    Timberwolves

People still play for those teams... people still buy merchandise for those teams. You'll get used to it, accept it, and embrace it.
    I think some are going overboard if they think a name will effect players wanting to play here.

However IMO Pelicans is worse than every last one of those names. It may not hurt us in free agency but it may in merchandising. I'm having a hard time seeing myself in "Pelicans" gear and I owe a ton of Hornets gear.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 12-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Nets
    Thunder
    Magic
    Wizards
    Lakers
    Bobcats
    Heat
    Raptors
    Clippers
    Rockets
    Timberwolves

No one thinks those are bad names because they are USED TO THEM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Gotta love people saying they'll never buy gear or jerseys, when we haven't even seen them yet. Just cuz of the name on it.

I love the Pelicans and their Neck Bags. LOL

Thread Information