Pelicans Report

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Sports report pelicans name is the name {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The plot thickens.
    Don't be so sure.

One scenario is they have 5 names are still deciding.

Another scenario is they have 5 names and have decided.

Remember, Mrs. Gayle declared the colors AND indicated that there was at least one change. This may indicate that there have been some talks, and some are choosing to define the process as when a certain piece of paper is filed compared to when a decision is made . . . walking down the aisle compared to just after the proposal is accepted . . . when are you `getting married'?

Not saying it's either way or only one of those two, but this actually does not change the most likely scenario based on what Mrs. Gayle said, as I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Just a guess but
    Pelicans
    Brass
    Krewe
    Angels
    Spirit
    That would be 5. No need to protect Voodoo if they didn't sell.

Brass has to be one. It's free.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Brass has to be one. It's free.
    This is consistent with what has been reported, as well.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I addressed this.

The Pistons and Magic both have change there logo's. Every team could easily change there logo without having to change their team names. Which means the two aren't mutual exclusive.
    You are really grasping for straws and avoiding the point. The point is that logos and colors help make the identity of the name. You stated that names have no link whatsoever to logos and colors. My last post proved your assertion to be wrong, yet you are still spinning your wheels and not going anywhere.

And by the way, things that aren't mutually exclusive means they CAN happen at once and can intertwine.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Warriors
    Trail Blazers
    76ers
    Cavaliers
    Timberwolves

Most can be shortened but I don't really hear anyone saying these names are hard to say or that they're too long.
    Other than Warriors, the others are shortened quite often - Blazers, Sixers, Cavs, TWolves.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    People are laughing at Pelicans. So whats the difference?

If I had to choose between Pelican and Bounce I'm choosing Bounce.
    Although not a fan of Pelicans, Bounce is terrible.

Well if they went through all the trouble of protecting 5 names, get your money's worth and put them to a fan vote. Too easy? Makes too much sense?

Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    You are really grasping for straws and avoiding the point. The point is that logos and colors help make the identity of the name. You stated that names have no link whatsoever to logos and colors. My last post proved your assertion to be wrong, yet you are still spinning your wheels and not going anywhere.

And by the way, things that aren't mutually exclusive means they CAN happen at once and can intertwine.
    You are making the point that the logo and/or color has an impact on the team name itself. I feel it doesn't. Pelicans will be a bad name no matter what the logo or jerseys look like IMO. If the logo and jerseys are done well may improve the appeal of the apparel but does nothing to improve the name. Which is proven by the fact that teams change the logo, jerseys, and team colors all the time. If you think the Washington Wizards sound stupid and isn't a good name(which many people still feel that way more than a decade later) changing the colors, logo, or jerseys aren't going to improve the name you don't like.

We could have a really nice logo and jerseys regardless if the team are the Pelicans or not. Which is why I say it isn't exclusive. We can have the most stylish logo's and jerseys, but saying the words New Orleans Pelicans, Pels, Cans etc. all still sound foolish to me and there's no design that can cure it.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 12-05-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Although not a fan of Pelicans, Bounce is terrible.
    Not a fan of either. I'm sure people will say that Bounce is my choice now. Some here only read what they want to read now when it involves me.

I disagree slightly I think Bounce is bad and Pelicans is terrible. Any ways I wouldn't choose either.

NBA Commissioner David Stern indicates New Orleans Hornets name change likely will be expedited

NBA Commissioner David Stern indicated before Wednesday night’s game against the Lakers that the New Orleans Hornets’ application to change their nickname likely will be expedited and he will support whatever change owner Tom Benson wants.

A report by Yahoo! Sports Tuesday, based on multiple unnamed sources, said Benson plans to change the nickname of his NBA franchise from Hornets to Pelicans. But Hornets spokesman Greg Bensel said they are not confirming the name change.

Stern, who visited the Hornets offices at the Saints' complex and met with team corporate sponsors and team officials Wednesday, shed no light on the possibility the Hornets could be changed to the Pelicans.

"Everyone seems to know about this but me,’’ Stern said. "I’m sure whatever it is, I’m sure it will be good. If that’s (Pelicans) what it is, that’s fine, too.’’

Based on recent Twitter activity, a high percentage of Hornets fans apparently are not in favor of Pelicans as the team's nickname. A large percentage have suggested such names as Krewe, Brass, Jesters and Revelers. Some tweeted that it should stay the Hornets.
    "I think the Hornets may have a friend in the league office that might help expedite the process when they decide on a name,’’ Stern said. "That’s what I heard. I don’t remember his name and I’m sure it will happen faster.’’
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

Based on recent Twitter activity, a high percentage of Hornets fans apparently are not in favor of Pelicans as the team's nickname. A large percentage have suggested such names as Krewe, Brass, Jesters and Revelers. Some tweeted that it should stay the Hornets.
    All four of those are far superior to Pelicans. Why, Benson, why?
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I'd rather Pelicans over Jesters and Revelers. Not sure about Krewe.

I like Brass, but I have the same concerns some other people have.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post

I don't know where he got Jesters and Revelers. Have barely heard those names all these months since it all started. Pelicans was never much better poll wise.

Brass or Krewe...why not Mr. B?

I'm not a huge fan of Krewe. Seems like a minor league version of Mardi Gras. Same with Brass which is like a minor league version of Jazz.

To me Carnival would be a great. Would have a similar feel as Jazz and the best Mardi Gras name available.

Honestly, I'm fine with Pelican especially if the logo and red, gold, and navy color is used.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I do have to laugh at the fact that people don't like Pelicans because it was minor league baseball, but they like Brass. What do you think that was?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I do have to laugh at the fact that people don't like Pelicans because it was minor league baseball, but they like Brass. What do you think that was?
    A lot of people don't even remember that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    A lot of people don't even remember that team.
    I have a couple of friends that played for them. Those games were awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Would people even think Pelicans sounds like a baseball team had we not had one?... Brass?.. Man..

Funny thing is most of the NBA names are silly and aren't ferocious in the least bit but people want our mascot to be a TERROR... Does anyone remember Hugo the Hornet when he didn't have teeth????

Hahahahaha
    Ok...ok... I digress

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I'm really digging Jesters.

No idea why Pelicans was the one that was revealed to the media. Pelicans is absolutely dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post

No idea why Pelicans was the one that was revealed to the media. Pelicans is absolutely dreadful.
    Jesters????

Then we would really be a joke....

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post

I started the morning by getting 3 texts from friends, all of which offered me condolences on the possible name change.

Jesters and Revelers? Oh'my no.... I'm on the Pelican beak(wagon) now. #Beak-Fense #BeakDat

I was really hoping for Voodoo...Krewe, Dukes and Revelers also were high on my list ( Go Revs would work great ). I can live with Pels.

But if we're not to go with a Mardi Gras theme then I strongly prefer BLACK, gold and red to NAVY, gold and red. I hope the Bensons can still push back on this.

VooDoo's another top choice... and what is that currently?

edit: and that's 1 of my biggest regrets... never went to a Brass game. though I guess I kind of made up for it by going to a few Louisiana IceGators games while I was living in Lafayette
    Last edited by rt0307; 12-05-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Thread Information