.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 168

Thread: Our 2013 Free Agency

  1. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    Keeping Lopez over Smith? Ehh... I don't know about that. Your idea is similar to the one I posted above, except you prefer getting Iggy to Jennings. I would prefer Jennings because he is younger and will be slightly cheaper. He would also be easier to attract, IMO. I think Iggy is going to resign with the Nuggets because they're willing to pay him what he wants and they're a contender. So I like your idea, I just think Jennings is more realistic than Iggy.
    only reason i said lopez is because we will have plenty of scorers and jump shooters with ryno gordon davis and zeller, need someone nasty down low to be our perkins and has a post game, i love jason smith though

  2. #127
    Back Door Man RUFshreve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    only reason i said lopez is because we will have plenty of scorers and jump shooters with ryno gordon davis and zeller, need someone nasty down low to be our perkins and has a post game, i love jason smith though
    Nasty is J Smith's middle name.

    Jason Nasty Smith

  3. #128
    I don't see why you would want to mess with the front court in the first place. We have to have some stability, and can't keep doing a massive overhaul each year. Our front court consist of a dominant player who is considered the next Tim Duncan (Anthony Davis), and 3pt shooting scorer and rebounding mismatch off the bench (Ryan Anderson), a 7 ft shot blocking hustle player with a surprising offensive game (Robin Lopez), and a tough 7 ft off the bench with a good mid range jumper (Jason Smith). What's so good about each of them is that they're under 26.What more could you possibly ask for? What we need on is the back court. How about a point guard that can drive and dish? Or get an impact wing player that can stay healthy?

  4. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I don't see why you would want to mess with the front court in the first place. We have to have some stability, and can't keep doing a massive overhaul each year. Our front court consist of a dominant player who is considered the next Tim Duncan (Anthony Davis), and 3pt shooting scorer and rebounding mismatch off the bench (Ryan Anderson), a 7 ft shot blocking hustle player with a surprising offensive game (Robin Lopez), and a tough 7 ft off the bench with a good mid range jumper (Jason Smith). What's so good about each of them is that they're under 26.What more could you possibly ask for? What we need on is the back court. How about a point guard that can drive and dish? Or get an impact wing player that can stay healthy?
    I think those of us who want to trade Lopez while his value is at an all time high feel like Davis will be our Center in another year or 2, and Anderson will be our starting PF. That is the ideal situation. And in that case, Jason Smith can play Center against the bigger guys until Davis adds a little more weight. The problem is that Vasquez and Lopez have an all time high value right now, so the logic is to cash in before they start to decline (assuming they decline).

    I think, when you look at the trade straight up, would you take a 7-foot Center with a PER of 20? Or would you take an undersized backup PG who can't run an offense but has athletic tools that are out of this world and has a PER of 24? I know most GMs in the league would take the Center and never think about it again. That's why I don't get all of you guys who are saying Vasquez and Lopez aren't enough. That's crazy talk to me. That is overpaying, IMO.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 12-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.

  5. #130
    Back Door Man RUFshreve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think those of us who want to trade Lopez while his value is at an all time high feel like Davis will be our Center in another year or 2, and Anderson will be our starting PF. That is the ideal situation. And in that case, Jason Smith can play Center against the bigger guys until Davis adds a little more weight. The problem is that Vasquez and Lopez have an all time high value right now, so the logic is to cash in before they start to decline (assuming they decline).

    I think, when you look at the trade straight up, would you take a 7-foot Center with a PER of 20? Or would you take an undersized backup PG who can't run an offense but has athletic tools that are out of this world and has a PER of 24? I know most GMs in the league would take the Center and never think about it again. That's why I don't get all of you guys who are saying Vasquez and Lopez aren't enough. That's crazy talk to me. That is overpaying, IMO.
    I definitely wouldn't call it overpaying, but I don't think it's as far fetched as some people do. I just don't see them trying to move Bledsoe until they have locked up CP3.

  6. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think those of us who want to trade Lopez while his value is at an all time high feel like Davis will be our Center in another year or 2, and Anderson will be our starting PF. That is the ideal situation. And in that case, Jason Smith can play Center against the bigger guys until Davis adds a little more weight. The problem is that Vasquez and Lopez have an all time high value right now, so the logic is to cash in before they start to decline (assuming they decline).

    I think, when you look at the trade straight up, would you take a 7-foot Center with a PER of 20? Or would you take an undersized backup PG who can't run an offense but has athletic tools that are out of this world and has a PER of 24? I know most GMs in the league would take the Center and never think about it again. That's why I don't get all of you guys who are saying Vasquez and Lopez aren't enough. That's crazy talk to me. That is overpaying, IMO.
    take into account the defense side of the game though

  7. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    take into account the defense side of the game though
    Bledsoe's best attribute is his defense. That's why I want him on this team. Monty could turn him into a force. That said, Lopez is a very good defender too. He isn't elite, but he is certainly one of the better defensive centers in the league, and that is worth something.

  8. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Bledsoe's best attribute is his defense. That's why I want him on this team. Monty could turn him into a force. That said, Lopez is a very good defender too. He isn't elite, but he is certainly one of the better defensive centers in the league, and that is worth something.
    Can you imagine our defense with Bledsoe, Gordon, and Iggy locking the wings and Davis patrolling the paint?

    Baby Jesus.

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  9. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Can you imagine our defense with Bledsoe, Gordon, and Iggy locking the wings and Davis patrolling the paint?

    Baby Jesus.
    Monty would wet his pants at the notion.

  10. #135
    Back Door Man RUFshreve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Can you imagine our defense with Bledsoe, Gordon, and Iggy locking the wings and Davis patrolling the paint?

    Baby Jesus.
    We could never afford that.

  11. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    We could never afford that.
    We could definitely afford it, especially if we get rid of Lopez's contract and use our pick on a Center.

  12. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    We could never afford that.
    We could definitely afford it, especially if we get rid of Lopez's contract and use our pick on a Center.

  13. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    We could definitely afford it, especially if we get rid of Lopez's contract and use our pick on a Center.
    Yup. Minus Henry, Aminu, and the proposed Vasquez and Lopez contracts, we could definitely afford that lineup, with room to spare.

  14. #139
    Back Door Man RUFshreve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    We could definitely afford it, especially if we get rid of Lopez's contract and use our pick on a Center.
    For more than two years? Bledsoe has two more years of team options(if i'm not mistaken), so how could we afford those four after his current contract is up?

  15. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    For more than two years? Bledsoe has two more years of team options(if i'm not mistaken), so how could we afford those four after his current contract is up?
    Still works just fine.

    Let's imagine Iggy and Gordon make a combined 26M. Add another 9 for Anderson and lets say 8 max for Bledsoe (no way he fetches more given his current playing level). Thats only a combined 43M with 20M left to split between the rookie contracts of Davis, Rivers, Miller and our future draft pick, not to mention JSmoove and a future backup 2.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-11-2012 at 01:55 AM.

  16. #141
    Back Door Man RUFshreve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Still works just fine.

    Let's imagine Iggy and Gordon make a combined 26M. Add another 9 for Anderson and lets say 8 max for Bledsoe (no way he fetches more given his current playing level). Thats only a combined 43M with 20M left to split between the rookie contracts of Davis, Rivers, Miller and our future draft pick, not to mention JSmoove and a future backup 2.
    I was thinking about Iggy with his current contract which has his option at a little over 16 mil next year. What makes y'all think he would turn that down and leave Denver to come here? I would absolutely love it if he did.Especially if we landed Zeller. That would be the quickest and most epic rebuild in NBA history

  17. #142
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    I just don't see them trying to move Bledsoe until they have locked up CP3.
    The Clippers may be different in that Sterling is probably ok with letting CP3 walk now that Blake is locked up long term, but most of the time teams mortgage the future to keep their potentially leaving star player happy. The Cavs did it, the Hornets did it, the Magic did it, and the Clippers certainly appear to be in win now mode. If they thought trading Bledsoe would be the difference between a 1st round exit and making enough noise in the playoffs to keep CP3 happy then I think they'd do it.

    A Vasqeuz/Lopez for Bledsoe/Pick trade may improve their playoff odds and it fits in with plan B of a low budget Blake show if CP3 does leave. Lopez is on a good contract and can be let go for cheap, and Vasquez may not be as good as Bledsoe in some regards, but he can pass the ball to the guy that sells tickets. I think the most questionable thing in all of this is really if Bledsoe is worth giving up your 2 best trade assets.
    Last edited by BP225; 12-11-2012 at 09:31 AM.

  18. #143
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    I was thinking about Iggy with his current contract which has his option at a little over 16 mil next year. What makes y'all think he would turn that down and leave Denver to come here?
    I think getting Iggy is very iffy unless they get embarrassed in the playoffs. The Hornets core may be better on paper and if fully healthy, but it's not leaps and bounds better, especially with Davis and Rivers still being kids.

  19. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I think getting Iggy is very iffy unless they get embarrassed in the playoffs. The Hornets core may be better on paper and if fully healthy, but it's not leaps and bounds better, especially with Davis and Rivers still being kids.
    Didn't he already say that he was going to opt out and test the free agent waters? I'm probably making that up.

    Nevertheless, I think it may benefit him to do that in order to secure a long-term deal. The FA class, this year, is extremely weak and he may be able to fetch more for himself by opting out. Of course, if they go far in the postseason, he may find that harder to do. I don't think they will, though, if Lawson continues to play mediocre basketball and the team continues to play inconsistently on both sides of the ball (especially defensively).

  20. #145
    draft cody zeller, sign parsons and randy foye = winning

  21. #146
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,687
    Why do you guys do this to me?

    Bledsoe/Gordon/Iggy/Anderson/Davis

    Wherehappens.

  22. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    We could definitely afford it, especially if we get rid of Lopez's contract and use our pick on a Center.
    Why would you trade a solid center for a center you don't know if he's going to be good! You don't need a dominating center next to Davis because it's not going to work! He is going to be like Tim Duncan. A low post scorer with a mid range shot. All you need is a hustle guy that can block shots and plays good defense. You only have so much money to use because of a salary cap and it's a small market team. Why not put your efforts on going a guy that can score by driving and dishing like a point guard or a small forward. Look in a perfect world, I would love to have Lebron and Melo on the wings and Davis and Howard on the post and Rose bringing it up the court but that aint going to happen. You have to be realistic.

  23. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Why would you trade a solid center for a center you don't know if he's going to be good! You don't need a dominating center next to Davis because it's not going to work! He is going to be like Tim Duncan. A low post scorer with a mid range shot. All you need is a hustle guy that can block shots and plays good defense. You only have so much money to use because of a salary cap and it's a small market team. Why not put your efforts on going a guy that can score by driving and dishing like a point guard or a small forward. Look in a perfect world, I would love to have Lebron and Melo on the wings and Davis and Howard on the post and Rose bringing it up the court but that aint going to happen. You have to be realistic.
    We would be getting rid of Lopez's contract in order to bolster our backcourt (in this scenario, Bledsoe). The draft pick would only supplement that loss. I'd think a Top 5 draft pick would more than negate the loss and serve adequately as a backup 5 (ideally to Davis).

    Read the entire train of thought next time!!
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-11-2012 at 08:22 PM.

  24. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    We would be getting rid of Lopez's contract in order to bolster our backcourt (in this scenario, Bledsoe). The draft pick would only supplement that loss. I'd think a Top 5 draft pick would more than negate the loss and serve adequately as a backup 5 (ideally to Davis).
    Why not just draft for the backcourt since our front court is easily one of the best in the league.

  25. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Why would you trade a solid center for a center you don't know if he's going to be good! You don't need a dominating center next to Davis because it's not going to work! He is going to be like Tim Duncan. A low post scorer with a mid range shot. All you need is a hustle guy that can block shots and plays good defense. You only have so much money to use because of a salary cap and it's a small market team. Why not put your efforts on going a guy that can score by driving and dishing like a point guard or a small forward. Look in a perfect world, I would love to have Lebron and Melo on the wings and Davis and Howard on the post and Rose bringing it up the court but that aint going to happen. You have to be realistic.
    Literally, none of this applies to anything I have posted. I have no clue what you are rambling about...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •