.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 168

Thread: Our 2013 Free Agency

  1. #26
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,795
    Apparently being a true center means just being big.
    Now I provide life insurance benefits.

  2. #27
    Great Music: Amel Larrieux Imnos 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena
    Posts
    503
    There is only one player we NEED to get in FA and thats Josh Smith.

    Lopez
    AD
    Josh Smith
    EG
    GV

    JS and AD together would be unbelieveable.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Apparently being a true center means just being big.
    Sorry, I dont follow . B. Lopez---Duncan----Hibbert---Monroe----Asik----Cousins----D. Jordan----M. Gasol---J mcgee----Kaman---Howard---Bynum----Varejao>>> Are these guys NOT Legit #5's 10 of them have been all-stars .

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Sorry, I dont follow . B. Lopez---Duncan----Hibbert---Monroe----Asik----Cousins----D. Jordan----M. Gasol---J mcgee----Kaman---Howard---Bynum----Varejao>>> Are these guys NOT Legit #5's 10 of them have been all-stars .
    Oops, I think Al Jefferson and Tyson Chandler are pretty good also . How bout you ?

  5. #30
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,795
    Being an All-Star doesn't make you the paragon of what it is to be your position. Cousins would rather shot 22 foot jumpers than play back down, near the goal game. Asik is just a better Aaron Gray. Monroe is a PF. And Brook Lopez is softer than tissue paper. McGee and Jordan don't have half a brain to rub together between them.

    And I'm not just thinking in terms of who can Davis guard. There's two ends of the court. I don't see any of those players I mentioned being able to contain him. Won't be easy, but going forward? With an offseason to continue to bulk up and perfect his game?

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Being an All-Star doesn't make you the paragon of what it is to be your position. Cousins would rather shot 22 foot jumpers than play back down, near the goal game. Asik is just a better Aaron Gray. Monroe is a PF. And Brook Lopez is softer than tissue paper. McGee and Jordan don't have half a brain to rub together between them.

    And I'm not just thinking in terms of who can Davis guard. There's two ends of the court. I don't see any of those players I mentioned being able to contain him. Won't be easy, but going forward? With an offseason to continue to bulk up and perfect his game?
    Whatever dude, these guys are legit 5's, have played & know how to play the position . Asik averages 15 boards a game and double digit scoring . & these guys dont even have to guard AD if they dont want to, The #4's on there teams can guard AD. Just because he sets in the middle instead of the baseline doesnt make him a center . Any decent 4 can cover him & any decent 265 center will post him up, & back him down so close to the goal>> it will be takin candy from baby !
    BTW---What does The PARAGON have to do with anything ? You certainly dont have to carry that moniker for a DEcent #5 to guard AD . There arent to many Paragons in the NBA, so i dont understand why that point of reference was used !
    Last edited by Tinman; 12-04-2012 at 12:43 PM.

  7. #32
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,795
    Paragon, epitome, gold standard, quintessence, prime example. Choose another name for it. Bottom line is getting an All-Star game bid doesn't mean much.

    And AD doesn't have to guard them if they don't want to. Rendering this whole discussion meaningless. Quite conveniently, I might add. So...yeah, whatever brah.

  8. #33
    I dont know but with all those fa's coming available. we should be able to come away with some nice players considering our cap room. Doesnt that rashard lewis contract come off the books next year??

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Being an All-Star doesn't make you the paragon of what it is to be your position. Cousins would rather shot 22 foot jumpers than play back down, near the goal game. Asik is just a better Aaron Gray. Monroe is a PF. And Brook Lopez is softer than tissue paper. McGee and Jordan don't have half a brain to rub together between them.

    And I'm not just thinking in terms of who can Davis guard. There's two ends of the court. I don't see any of those players I mentioned being able to contain him. Won't be easy, but going forward? With an offseason to continue to bulk up and perfect his game?
    Well said, I agree.

    I mean there's a reason they've gotten rid of the C position in the All-Star game. The role of the C has expanded past its traditional function of backing up their man and standing in the paint. There isn't one specific prototype center anymore; in fact, the opposite is more revered. The more diverse and well-rounded a big fella is, the more valuable he becomes. Davis has all the potential in the world to succeed at the C position with that in mind.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-04-2012 at 12:58 PM.

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Well said, I agree.

    I mean there's a reason they've gotten rid of the C position in the All-Star game. The role of the C has expanded past its traditional function of backing up their man and standing in the paint. There isn't one specific prototype center anymore; in fact, the opposite is more revered. The more diverse and well-rounded a big fella is, the more valuable he becomes. Davis has all the potential in the world to succeed at the C position with that in mind.
    The only teams that can win without a Legit #5 are teams with a LeBron James or a Kevin Durant on them ! That would be 2 !

  11. #36
    Since 2000, how many teams that dont have Lebron James on them have won a championship without a dominate big man ? Shaq 4---Duncan---3 Gasol/Bynum 2----Chandler and the 6'9" (BAD MAN) Ben Wallace ! He certainly wasnt your long lean athletic type !

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    The only teams that can win without a Legit #5 are teams with a LeBron James or a Kevin Durant on them ! That would be 2 !
    The all-star game is NOT a team GAME, it is for personal satisfaction . THATS why the center position is null . Th only reason the True 5 has been affected in a minor way is because of Zone Defenses .

  13. #38
    The Franchise goat gorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,295
    Let's stop playing around here the most realistic scenario is that CP3 comes back and Dwight follows(both at lesser salary). Boom untouchable. If you're going to dream...dream big.

  14. #39
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,795
    Not to mention that the All-Star ballot doesn't even have a slot for centers anymore. It's all guards and frontcourt.

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not to mention that the All-Star ballot doesn't even have a slot for centers anymore. It's all guards and frontcourt.
    As i said>>its Showtime game ! Centers are not Flambuoyant, therfore< ixnay.

  16. #41
    Tinman makes reading this forum hard. I'd rather hear Da Thrones crap than try to read this jacked up paragraphs about having a fat center instead of Anthony Davis.

    I'd take Anthony Davis those "true" 5s.

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Paragon, epitome, gold standard, quintessence, prime example. Choose another name for it. Bottom line is getting an All-Star game bid doesn't mean much.

    And AD doesn't have to guard them if they don't want to. Rendering this whole discussion meaningless. Quite conveniently, I might add. So...yeah, whatever brah.
    Now thats just goofy talk ! You put anthony out there as your biggest guy on the court and then you say "He doent have to guard the other teams BIG . Then who does>> Anderson or Correy Brewer ? Thats the point>. AD WILL have to guard there #5, because noone else on the court can even try, but in the mean time, there #5 will not have to exert energy guarding Davis because a stretch 4 can !

  18. #43
    About how much cap room will we have. TIA

  19. #44
    anthony davis is a 4, an incredible 4, and needs to stay at the 4. we need a SF and Center

  20. #45
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,886
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    anthony davis is a 4, an incredible 4, and needs to stay at the 4. we need a SF and Center
    If Davis does what everyone believes he will do (bulk up) it is inevitable that he will become a C at some point in time.
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  21. #46
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,795
    I'm intrigued by just how much he can bulk up without losing anything in the way of athleticism.

  22. #47

    Our 2013 Free Agency

    Your right that he will be a center but I see it later in his career kind of like what Boston did with kg last year. He has too much offensive potential to sit in the post.

    #FREE QUAIL

  23. #48
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,886
    Just because you're a C doesn't mean they'll just stick you in the post.

  24. #49
    I know I'm not a forum mod, but Tinman, please stop posting back to back to back.

    Just edit your first post to include whatever additional information you would like to contribute.

    It's a lot harder to read these threads when one user constitutes 50%+ of its posts. There's no back and forth, just one user making multiple arguments.

    Not trying to be a *******, but that's just standard forum decency/policy.

  25. #50

    Our 2013 Free Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Just because you're a C doesn't mean they'll just stick you in the post.
    If Davis was the center would you agree that Anderson would be the starting pf. I'd image they'd play like dwight and anderson did in Orlando so I think Davis wouldn't be the player he could be by remaining a pf with a big center in the post. I just don't see Davis learning that great of post moves

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •