Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Our 2013 Free Agency

Jennings is actually looking like poor-mans CP3 right about now. I'd make him the focus for sure.

Keep Davis at PF, keep Ryno as 6th man. Sure up the C pos with Pek if possible. Draft a SF or trade Vasquez and 2014 pick for one.

Jennings / Rivers
    Gordon / Henry
    whoever / Miller
    AD / Ryno
    Pekovic / Lopez

Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Jennings is actually looking like poor-mans CP3 right about now. I'd make him the focus for sure.

Keep Davis at PF, keep Ryno as 6th man. Sure up the C pos with Pek if possible. Draft a SF or trade Vasquez and 2014 pick for one.

Jennings / Rivers
    Gordon / Henry
    whoever / Miller
    AD / Ryno
    Pekovic / Lopez

Sign me up.
    I can't see that happening salary-wise. I think Jennings will ask $12 mil/yr and Pek will ask for about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    Isn't Iguodala too old to be part of a core in a rebuilding team? I think when Davis reaches the level where he can make us contenders, Iguodala will be already in decline. Besides, what type of contract will he command?
    I think Iggy may ask for $12-$15 mil/yr. And this may be out of left field, but I say let Iggy mentor Darius Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Marcus Smart anyone? Not really a traditional point, but he's been incredible this year. Has the body and athleticism for the League and he does everything on the court.
    Like him a lot, but he is a 6'4 combo guard. Where would he play here? I mean, if we could flip Vasquez, Lopez, + our 2014 1st round pick for a legit starting SF, then maybe we could rotate Gordon, Rivers, and Smart between the 1 and 2 positions... That's a little idea I've had for a while now. Get 3 talented combo guards, and rotate them throughout the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Like him a lot, but he is a 6'4 combo guard. Where would he play here? I mean, if we could flip Vasquez, Lopez, + our 2014 1st round pick for a legit starting SF, then maybe we could rotate Gordon, Rivers, and Smart between the 1 and 2 positions... That's a little idea I've had for a while now. Get 3 talented combo guards, and rotate them throughout the game.
    I still think gordon could be a pg. at least there's nobody currently on our roster i would rather have running the pick and roll. i like that idea, have two combo guards out there that can both run the pick and roll and both catch and shoot. can't ask one player to dribble the ball whole time, the whole regular season, that's extremely tiring. That's why we used to see cp seem so unaggressive at times during the regular season (he'd have to save it to carry us at the end of games and whole games during the playoffs).

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I want a PG that can push the break and defend, that would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I want a PG that can push the break and defend, that would be amazing.
    Eric Bledsoe.

I wonder if they'd have interest in Lopez.

I wonder if they'd have interest in Lopez.
    I thought the same thing (posted this about 50 min ago):

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...=1#post1011230

Bledsoe would be perfect. Great on-ball defender, can run the break, and he is almost as athletic as Westbrook is. The problem is that he can't run the offense much (which is okay with me because I'd rather have Gordon and Rivers running the offense), and his 3-point shooting is average. He has had injury issues in the past with his meniscus also, but he is a perfect match with Monty the way he play defense.

Honestly looking at that, I'm sure it wouldn't work within the cap, but I'd give up Vasquez, Lopez, and Aminu/Henry just to get Bledsoe.

Honestly looking at that, I'm sure it wouldn't work within the cap, but I'd give up Vasquez, Lopez, and Aminu/Henry just to get Bledsoe.
    That would definitely work within the cap. I think that's giving up too much, but I'd be willing to spend to get a guy like Bledsoe. Young, athletic, fits the rebuilding project, defensive-minded.... Everything fits.

Like Bledsoe as well. No to Iggy. Nice player but we should focus on younger, value free agents or trades. What's going on with Wilson Chandler? Seems like he's getting buried in Denver. Might be nice fit here at SF if Denver wants to deal. Pretty good contract as well, though Demps may not want any longterm deals heading into the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Like Bledsoe as well. No to Iggy. Nice player but we should focus on younger, value free agents or trades. What's going on with Wilson Chandler? Seems like he's getting buried in Denver. Might be nice fit here at SF if Denver wants to deal. Pretty good contract as well, though Demps may not want any longterm deals heading into the offseason.
    I don't think he has been healthy.

We already have great BIGS, why not address that Guard and SF positions??? We get all of our points from RyNo, Lopez, Smith and AD already.. our guards and SF are pretty much non factors, we need those

Jeff Teague is another guy I like.

The way our team is with Monty's offense, we NEED a great scorer from the SG and SF positions... Vasquez could remain the starter imo, we just need people around him in the SG and SF positions who can set up their own shot and score off the dribble, if we had that, we'll be winners, we need this as well as a dynamic scorer off the bench, somebody like Barbosa or something to pair with Rivers, Roberts has got to go, Miller is a shooter, RyNo is a shooter, and Smith is a high energy big

You dudes are doing too much

I'm really split on going after another guard. While the FA class has some pretty nice ones, I want to see a somewhat developed Rivers at PG before I make that decision if I'm Demps.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    I'm really split on going after another guard. While the FA class has some pretty nice ones, I want to see a somewhat developed Rivers at PG before I make that decision if I'm Demps.
    Rivers will split time at both the PG and SG spots. If we have a PG that gets 30+ minutes a game, Rivers can still get 30+ minutes too, and just split them between the 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Rivers will split time at both the PG and SG spots. If we have a PG that gets 30+ minutes a game, Rivers can still get 30+ minutes too, and just split them between the 1 and 2.
    I guess I see what you're saying, I'm just a huge Rivers believer, optimists and I think Dell is as well. It's never bad thing to have too many good players, because in the long run, they can be moved; but that has hurt (not split) some lockerrooms. And it comes to a point where having so many good role players and starters just won't work salary-wise. I don't want a repeat of OKC. Like I said, good problem to have, but it could potentially hurt the fan base and lockerroom.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    It's gonna take a good bit of cash to take Iggy from Denver. They just traded for the guy and they haven't been known to be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    It's gonna take a good bit of cash to take Iggy from Denver. They just traded for the guy and they haven't been known to be cheap.
    Yeah but all they had to give up for him was Affalo. IMO, that part of the Dwight trade was just a throw-in. It ultimately comes up to Iggy, not Denver.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I'm actually really happy with Lopez starting at center for us. He's on an amazing contract and he's only 24. He has a PER of 19.8 and scores 1.05 PPP (good for 31st in all of the NBA) only allows 0.72 PPP (good for 37th in the NBA) Yeah, he'll never be a great rebounder, but I believe even right now he's good enough for his contract and that he's worth playing 20 minutes a night (which he would if Davis was healthy) and that his rebounding wouldn't really be that big of a problem next to Davis who I expect to average 10-11 in his prime. To me, our bigs are perfectly fine the way they are and I would put our bigs against any others in the NBA to be honest. And I mean that now and for the next 4 years as well.

I would like us to address SF through the draft. I think there's some good ones that will be available for when we're picking. If we strike out at SF though, then take the BPA and go from there. Perhaps entertain the idea of trading the pick for a young SF prospect somewhere, but SF should definitely be the target in the draft.

As for PG, I would love to be able to do something like Bledsoe/Odom/Green for Gordon if the Clips want to gamble a little. However I don't think we'll be getting Bledsoe so for free agents I think Jennings should be the definite number one target. I think he's better than his numbers suggest. Playing next to Monta Ellis is a horrible fit and I think he'd play better with our pieces. Jeff Teague would also be a very nice consolation prize. He's not a great starter, but I think he's an average starter and considering how good our bigs will be, that's okay.

All of that^

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I'm actually really happy with Lopez starting at center for us. He's on an amazing contract and he's only 24. He has a PER of 19.8 and scores 1.05 PPP (good for 31st in all of the NBA) only allows 0.72 PPP (good for 37th in the NBA) Yeah, he'll never be a great rebounder, but I believe even right now he's good enough for his contract and that he's worth playing 20 minutes a night (which he would if Davis was healthy) and that his rebounding wouldn't really be that big of a problem next to Davis who I expect to average 10-11 in his prime. To me, our bigs are perfectly fine the way they are and I would put our bigs against any others in the NBA to be honest. And I mean that now and for the next 4 years as well.

I would like us to address SF through the draft. I think there's some good ones that will be available for when we're picking. If we strike out at SF though, then take the BPA and go from there. Perhaps entertain the idea of trading the pick for a young SF prospect somewhere, but SF should definitely be the target in the draft.

As for PG, I would love to be able to do something like Bledsoe/Odom/Green for Gordon if the Clips want to gamble a little. However I don't think we'll be getting Bledsoe so for free agents I think Jennings should be the definite number one target. I think he's better than his numbers suggest. Playing next to Monta Ellis is a horrible fit and I think he'd play better with our pieces. Jeff Teague would also be a very nice consolation prize. He's not a great starter, but I think he's an average starter and considering how good our bigs will be, that's okay.
    All this is great in theory. Of course we would love to keep our 4 bigs and just add pieces without giving anything up, but that is easier said than done. Nobody wants Gordon, Aminu and Henry have no trade value, and Davis and Anderson are untouchable. That leaves Lopez as the most valuable trade chip IMO. If he has to be a part of a package to get a PG or SF, I do it without hesitation. Dell went and got Gustavo out of nowhere, the team has developed Jason Smith and Lance Thomas into quality basketball players, so I have faith they can find another big to play the 12-15 minutes needed to suppliment our fantastic trio.

And the Clippers trade would have to be something like Lopez and Vasquez for Bledsoe and Odom's expiring, which I would do in a heartbeat
    @mcnamara247

I would feel different about Lopez if we did not already have Davis, Anderson, and Smith. I think he's a solid big, I wouldn't be unhappy if he was still here. But do we really need him? Does he make us better? I see no reason why he couldn't be moved for something that is more valuable to us, then replaced by someone else. Same thing with Greivis, Monty may talk nicely about him but I'm positive he knows that Greivis isn't the future. He's a backup, and backups can be replaced if you look hard enough.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 12-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Thread Information