.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 81

Thread: why so much dislike for G V???

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Again, you counter advanced stats with simple stats. I guess we can't help you here. If you wanna believe, then fine, it's not our job to tell you there is no Santa, but don't come calling us haters when we are just objectively analyzing
    oh ok so the scoring champion durant has won the scoring title by not ppg but these advanced stats u speak of...sorry i understand what advanced stats are but stats pg are very important and matter when discussing productivity in which we are

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    oh ok so the scoring champion durant has won the scoring title by not ppg but these advanced stats u speak of...sorry i understand what advanced stats are but stats pg are very important and matter when discussing productivity in which we are
    Can someone translate this for me? Any form of coherent English will suffice
    @mcnamara247

  3. #53
    we will just have to agree to disagree..i think vasquez is a quality pg and an average 1 as of now but i think he will improve greatly over the next 2 years because he has done nothing but that since he has been here. His raw numbers this year put him in the top half of the nba in pg's. It is what it is I just wanna see the kid succeed and lead this team like he has been. when we surround him with a better supporting cast and not a d league team then the jusy can come back on him but as of now it is still out. Geaux hornets win lose or draw baby

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    we will just have to agree to disagree..i think vasquez is a quality pg and an average 1 as of now but i think he will improve greatly over the next 2 years because he has done nothing but that since he has been here. His raw numbers this year put him in the top half of the nba in pg's. It is what it is I just wanna see the kid succeed and lead this team like he has been. when we surround him with a better supporting cast and not a d league team then the jusy can come back on him but as of now it is still out. Geaux hornets win lose or draw baby
    Best thing you said this whole thread. We all have different opinions and that is what makes this forum great- I just can't stand when people imply that a difference of opinion is motivated by wanting to see a player fail or having some objective. We all wish Vasquez was the top PG in the league and nobody gets anything out of bashing him- there is no incentive to "hate". Some just see the game differently.

    Thank you for sharing your POV. I agree, we will agree to disagree

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Can someone translate this for me? Any form of coherent English will suffice
    THE SCORING CHAMPION DURANT WINS HIS SCORING TITLE BY PPG (POINTS PER GAME). NOT BY ADVANCED STATS THAT YOU SPEAK OF. YOU SAID APG(ASSIST PER GAME) DOESN"T COUNT FOR VASQUEZ. SO I GUESS PPG(POINTS PER GAME) DOESN"T MATTER EITHER RIGHT? ONLY ADVANCED STATS COUNT I GUESS. UNDERSTAND NOW???

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Again, you counter advanced stats with simple stats. I guess we can't help you here. If you wanna believe, then fine, it's not our job to tell you there is no Santa, but don't come calling us haters when we are just objectively analyzing
    who do u keep referring to as us?? I dont see anybody with u...are u with a team of people or what? lol I think everyone has there own opinion not us

  7. #57
    ok im ending this with....vasquez is putting up numbers thus far in the top half of the nba. With continued improvement and a healthy ad and gordon he should only get better. Time will tell i guess...lol I am done with this thread now...now lets get a win tonight hornets im hurtin over here

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    hey bro 1st off all im not spell checking nobody...what i meant is that they are by themselves in there own category and that there are not more than 1 of them type of players...not referring to punctuation or spelling so check yourself...i tyoe on here as if im teexting to someone..i am not writing an exam or trying to pass a text get it? but thanks for your schooling youngster
    I never said you spell checked anyone. You were making fun of someone for bad grammar, yet you responded with bad grammar yourself. That is straight up foolish, and you look like a clown. If you have a point, you can present it, but don't start teeing off on everyone in this thread. Me, personally, I don't care that you are totally illiterate. That isn't my problem. Normally, I would never call you out on that, but you deserve this one.

    As for the point of your thread, I think MM is relying a little too heavily on statistics and not enough on the eye test. There is a steady balance between the 2 that should be used in evaluating players. This year, offensively, I'd put Vasquez in the top 10 at his position. Defensively, I'd put him in the bottom 10, just for lack of foot speed. That said, he is a fairly decent team defender, IMO.

    Vasquez possesses a lot of intangibles that won't show up on the stat sheet. I think his intangibles are elite. His work ethic is reportedly second to none, he is a great leader and is very respected by his teammates, he creates for others, he plays with great passion (that hypes up his teammates, shouldn't be underestimated), and he takes (and makes) big shots. He has also added to his game every year since he entered the league - this year it's a little bit of a post-up game, the floater, and he increased his 3-point % considerably.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    oh ok so the scoring champion durant has won the scoring title by not ppg but these advanced stats u speak of...sorry i understand what advanced stats are but stats pg are very important and matter when discussing productivity in which we are
    Sorry, couldn't help but intervene here. Productivity is only a useful baromoter of superior play when alligned with efficiency; that's the premise behind advanced numbers. It's not wise to harp objectivity and statistical analysis while simultaneously being so dismissive of advanced numbers. Frankly, it's contradicting. But as you just said, it seems like a pretty good time to drop the argument and let the cards fall where they may.

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  10. #60
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,940
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    too early in his career to fully judge him..give him another 2 seasons with a better lineup to play with then judge him...he has constantly shown improvement every year and thats all u can ask of him...sorry guys but derrick rose is not stepping through thodoors anytime soon
    The chances that he improves his foot speed or ballhandling significantly are slim.
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  11. #61

    Re: why so much dislike for G V???

    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    hey bro 1st off all im not spell checking nobody...what i meant is that they are by themselves in there own category and that there are not more than 1 of them type of players...not referring to punctuation or spelling so check yourself...i tyoe on here as if im teexting to someone..i am not writing an exam or trying to pass a text get it? but thanks for your schooling youngster
    I have said it on this board before and I will say it again: people will take your opinons and arguments more seriously if you type them legibly. The bigger the effort it is to read your text, the less inclined people are to read and comprehend it.

    Break different trains of thought and different points into seperate paragraphs. Use correct punctuation to the best of your ability. Attempt to have correct spelling and overall grammar. It is ok if it is not perfect, but people will notice and appreciate the effort.

    I agree with everyone that says Greivis is a great backup, but not someone you want to play heavy starter's minutes against most teams. His liabilities hurt the team on both sides of the ball.

    His first step and top speed combined with average ball handling make it difficult for him to get past hurt when pressured. This results in less time to run our sets which, in turn, results in a worse shot for the offense. It can also turn into turnovers where there is no one behind Vasquez so it is an easy 2 points for the opposition.

    On defense, his lack of quickness prevents him from being able to funnel guys at good angles into our paint defenders. This causes fouls and open layups. He is not expected to lock anyone down or prevent penetration. However, he is expected to slow down the opposing guard enough and in such a way that help defense can arrive and be in a good position to actually help defend.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    The chances that he improves his foot speed or ballhandling significantly are slim.
    He's already 25 turning 26 with a mature body. There's almost no chance he'll improve footspeed or ball handling. The only thing I'd imagine he can improve upon is his defensive IQ and ball security.

  13. #63
    Hall of Famer Ceedee M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Down da bayou
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I'm not the grammar police, but since you are trying to be (and you're doing it wrong), I have to call you out on this. When a person uses an "apostrophe-s," it makes the word possessive, not plural as you suggest.

    EX: The dogs played with their bones. Plural
    EX: The dog's bone was white. Possessive

    Moreover, how in the world are you trying to correct someone's grammar when you don't even use periods or any other punctuation? {Mod edit-please refrain from name calling}
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I never said you spell checked anyone. You were making fun of someone for bad grammar, yet you responded with bad grammar yourself. That is straight up foolish, and you look like a clown. If you have a point, you can present it, but don't start teeing off on everyone in this thread. Me, personally, I don't care that you are totally illiterate. That isn't my problem. Normally, I would never call you out on that, but you deserve this one.
    I don't like to jump in arguments, but you are wrong here. You are very arrogant. It's been a number of times you've called people ignorant/foolish/stupid. Anyways, apostrophes can be used to form plurals, and that's how Michael meant it. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/ The OP was not correcting grammar. He was just saying no need to make CP3 plural like there are a number of pg's like him in the league (see how I used that apostrophe for a plural?)

  14. #64
    Where fairies happen Contributor whoah whoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    4,149
    Look, I fell for Lee Nailon years ago on a bad hornets team. I actually thought he could be a legit player. The point is, anyone can look GREAT on a bad team. I don't think its so much hate, as it is realism.
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3
    you eat so good. you're always gonna eat good. I kid a lot, everything is spicy, the fruit loops even have some kick to em
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James
    We played pretty good defense. We bottled him [Paul] up, but with eyes in the back of his head, he found David West"

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I never said you spell checked anyone. You were making fun of someone for bad grammar, yet you responded with bad grammar yourself. That is straight up foolish, and you look like a clown. If you have a point, you can present it, but don't start teeing off on everyone in this thread. Me, personally, I don't care that you are totally illiterate. That isn't my problem. Normally, I would never call you out on that, but you deserve this one.

    As for the point of your thread, I think MM is relying a little too heavily on statistics and not enough on the eye test. There is a steady balance between the 2 that should be used in evaluating players. This year, offensively, I'd put Vasquez in the top 10 at his position. Defensively, I'd put him in the bottom 10, just for lack of foot speed. That said, he is a fairly decent team defender, IMO.

    Vasquez possesses a lot of intangibles that won't show up on the stat sheet. I think his intangibles are elite. His work ethic is reportedly second to none, he is a great leader and is very respected by his teammates, he creates for others, he plays with great passion (that hypes up his teammates, shouldn't be underestimated), and he takes (and makes) big shots. He has also added to his game every year since he entered the league - this year it's a little bit of a post-up game, the floater, and he increased his 3-point % considerably.
    bro can u not read what i just said to u?? i didnt correct anyones punctuation or anything of that sort. when i said what i originally said i was meaning there is no need to make them names plural because there are no other pg's in this league like them!!! NOTHING TO DO WITH CORRECT GRAMMER OR PUNCTUATION!!! DO U UNDERSTAND NOW?? OR IS IT THAT HARD FOR U TO COMPREHEND PROFESSOR NOLA SLIM??

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    bro can u not read what i just said to u?? i didnt correct anyones punctuation or anything of that sort. when i said what i originally said i was meaning there is no need to make them names plural because there are no other pg's in this league like them!!! NOTHING TO DO WITH CORRECT GRAMMER OR PUNCTUATION!!! DO U UNDERSTAND NOW?? OR IS IT THAT HARD FOR U TO COMPREHEND PROFESSOR NOLA SLIM??
    I don't know what you are saying because your posts looks like a 9 month old threw Spaghettio's against the fridge.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I have said it on this board before and I will say it again: people will take your opinons and arguments more seriously if you type them legibly. The bigger the effort it is to read your text, the less inclined people are to read and comprehend it.

    Break different trains of thought and different points into seperate paragraphs. Use correct punctuation to the best of your ability. Attempt to have correct spelling and overall grammar. It is ok if it is not perfect, but people will notice and appreciate the effort.

    I agree with everyone that says Greivis is a great backup, but not someone you want to play heavy starter's minutes against most teams. His liabilities hurt the team on both sides of the ball.

    His first step and top speed combined with average ball handling make it difficult for him to get past hurt when pressured. This results in less time to run our sets which, in turn, results in a worse shot for the offense. It can also turn into turnovers where there is no one behind Vasquez so it is an easy 2 points for the opposition.

    On defense, his lack of quickness prevents him from being able to funnel guys at good angles into our paint defenders. This causes fouls and open layups. He is not expected to lock anyone down or prevent penetration. However, he is expected to slow down the opposing guard enough and in such a way that help defense can arrive and be in a good position to actually help defend.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    yea i hear ya on 1 hand but on the other hand this is a message board for talking **** about basketball...I could really care less about how someone forms their sentences or spells as long as i can read it. I'll make sure to keep spell check on at all times and punctuate correctly,so u guys will be satisfied. I mean after all it is more important than the actual basketball talk itself. smh

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I don't know what you are saying because your posts looks like a 9 month old threw Spaghettio's against the fridge.
    {Mod edit-please refrain from name calling} Did I form that sentence right sir?

  19. #69
    ^ If you don't present your opinions clearly and in an easy to read format, don't expect anyone to understand or care what you have to say. If you expect me to make time to read your posts, I expect you to take the time to format them into something I can read clearly. A little you scratch my back, I scratch yours.

    e:
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    {Mod edit-please refrain from name calling} Did I form that sentence right sir?
    And that post is a step in the right direction. Clear, direct, and to the point. I like that much more.

    e2: I specifically said I don't care about not using spell check and ****. As long as you make an effort to write something that wouldn't get laughed out of a junior high English class, I am happy.
    Last edited by Kibner; 12-03-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: clearly marking which post I am referencing

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    ^ If you don't present your opinions clearly and in an easy to read format, don't expect anyone to understand or care what you have to say. If you expect me to make time to read your posts, I expect you to take the time to format them into something I can read clearly. A little you scratch my back, I scratch yours.

    e:

    And that post is a step in the right direction. Clear, direct, and to the point. I like that much more.
    lol good 1

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    ^ If you don't present your opinions clearly and in an easy to read format, don't expect anyone to understand or care what you have to say. If you expect me to make time to read your posts, I expect you to take the time to format them into something I can read clearly. A little you scratch my back, I scratch yours.

    e:

    And that post is a step in the right direction. Clear, direct, and to the point. I like that much more.
    I started this rant just for the hell of it. Looks like I didn't do too bad of a job of getting people to pay attention,and care about what I was saying. Got 3 pages going of good discussion about our starting pg. So,not too bad if you ask me. this is just a message board to blow some time on and discuss bball with my fellow nola people. No need to worry about people's spelling,punctuation,and so on. Geaux hornets...p.s. you not an idiot man I didn't mean that and I'm sorry for saying that actually. I apologize for that

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I don't know what you are saying because your posts looks like a 9 month old threw Spaghettio's against the fridge.
    You have moved up on my imaginary, unimportant, and just-created HR favorite list.


  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceedee M View Post
    I don't like to jump in arguments, but you are wrong here. You are very arrogant. It's been a number of times you've called people ignorant/foolish/stupid. Anyways, apostrophes can be used to form plurals, and that's how Michael meant it. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/ The OP was not correcting grammar. He was just saying no need to make CP3 plural like there are a number of pg's like him in the league (see how I used that apostrophe for a plural?)
    Firstly, I have a very strong English background, and I know for certain that the most common usage of the rule is that an "apostrophe-s" denotes possession. There are always exceptions to rules, so if you want to take that route, you may do so, but know that it isn't the traditional view. Most English majors would agree with me.

    Secondly, the OP's main goal wasn't to correct grammar, probably because he doesn't even know what grammar is. His main goal was to make fun of MM via correcting his grammar, but he can play it off how he likes. You can attack me for it if you'd like, that's your prerogative. I only get into it with people when they deserve it. Usually, I don't even start it, but if someone tries to come at me, you better believe I'm not a punk. That isn't internet tough guy talk. I don't see any reason why I would be ashamed of fighting back and having strong beliefs. If you don't like it, block me.

    By the way, "anyways" isn't a real word.

    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    bro can u not read what i just said to u?? i didnt correct anyones punctuation or anything of that sort. when i said what i originally said i was meaning there is no need to make them names plural because there are no other pg's in this league like them!!! NOTHING TO DO WITH CORRECT GRAMMER OR PUNCTUATION!!! DO U UNDERSTAND NOW?? OR IS IT THAT HARD FOR U TO COMPREHEND PROFESSOR NOLA SLIM??
    Sure, but your point was never to address his post because he made the names plural. He was out-debating you, and you were just trying to be a ****, so I called you out for it. If you are going to come on here and blast everyone, then you better be ready to respond when they fight back.

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Your an idiot. Did I form that sentence right sir?
    Lol, actually, no... you didn't. You should have said, "You're an idiot."

    You're = you + are
    Your = the possessive form of "you"

    Since you don't even have a grasp on the most basic fundamentals of the English language, perhaps you should stop insulting people for the time being.

  25. #75
    Where fairies happen Contributor whoah whoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    4,149
    Where is the good Rev Cletus when you need him. This thread is full of ghey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •