.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81

Thread: why so much dislike for G V???

  1. #1
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006

    Rant why so much dislike for G V???

    I really have a hard time understanding all the hatin and displeasure with vasquez. I think u guys are expecting way too much of him too soon based on watching cp3 for many years. Seriously i think we are all spoiled and set the bar way too high on this kid. He has the been the only bright spot on this hornets team this year besides ad which i think is an absolute superstar but thats for another thread. I mean this kid is 4th in assist but he is 20th in assist/turnover ratio but u guys have to remember that based on the circumstances this year that hes had to deal with that is pretty dam good. Even tho he is 20th in a/to ratio like i said on another thread there are 30 nba teams so his numbers def. solidify him as a starting pg in the nba. You really have to consider all things this year when judging this kids play. I mean for most of the season thus far he has been running pretty much a d league team out there on most nights. I really believe once we get a healthy ad and eg in the lineup ( as hard as that seems to be) he will cut down on the turnovers and there will not be as much pressure on him to do it all because right now and as of lately this kid has been the go to guy when points are needed and hes not that guy (even tho he has done pretty good at it imo). Yea he is a little slower but once we upgrade at the sg and sf position assuming we do then that will help a lot on the defensive side of the ball. this kid has the passion,the fight that I love to see in my starting pg. I'll go as far as to say he has a little bit of a clutch gene in his body as well. We all need to wait until the end of next season to really judge and guage where this kid fits on an nba roster because this season thus far he has been dealt a pretty bad hand but yet still ranks in the top half of pg's in the nba. I dont think anyone can name 29 other pg's in the nba that you would rather have as your starting pg. I really believe we can win and contend with this kid as our starting pg now and in the future. Ok I'll end this long rant now lol..I just wanted to really state my case for gv as our guy cause I dont think he is getting a fairshake as of now with a lot of people on this board. Geaux hornets win lose or draw baby!!!

  2. #2
    What you talkin' about? We love Gerry V.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gerry_Vaillancourt.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	4491

  3. #3
    People have to stop calling criticism "hate". It is getting old at this point.

    The majority of people see Vasquez as an elite backup PG, but not a starter on a contender. He is not up to par with the Westbrook's, the CP3's, the Rose's, the Rondo's, the Parker's, heck even the Mike Conley's of this league. There is no way around it. That is not hate, it is fact.

    It is not about naming 29 point guards who are better. It is about naming 15-18. If Vasquez is #19 (which would be generous IMO), then he is by definition below average. I dont get why people dont understand this concept yet.
    @mcnamara247

  4. #4
    Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Westbank
    Posts
    2,316
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I really have a hard time understanding all the hatin and displeasure with vasquez. I think u guys are expecting way too much of him too soon based on watching cp3 for many years. Seriously i think we are all spoiled and set the bar way too high on this kid. He has the been the only bright spot on this hornets team this year besides ad which i think is an absolute superstar but thats for another thread. I mean this kid is 4th in assist but he is 20th in assist/turnover ratio but u guys have to remember that based on the circumstances this year that hes had to deal with that is pretty dam good. Even tho he is 20th in a/to ratio like i said on another thread there are 30 nba teams so his numbers def. solidify him as a starting pg in the nba. You really have to consider all things this year when judging this kids play. I mean for most of the season thus far he has been running pretty much a d league team out there on most nights. I really believe once we get a healthy ad and eg in the lineup ( as hard as that seems to be) he will cut down on the turnovers and there will not be as much pressure on him to do it all because right now and as of lately this kid has been the go to guy when points are needed and hes not that guy (even tho he has done pretty good at it imo). Yea he is a little slower but once we upgrade at the sg and sf position assuming we do then that will help a lot on the defensive side of the ball. this kid has the passion,the fight that I love to see in my starting pg. I'll go as far as to say he has a little bit of a clutch gene in his body as well. We all need to wait until the end of next season to really judge and guage where this kid fits on an nba roster because this season thus far he has been dealt a pretty bad hand but yet still ranks in the top half of pg's in the nba. I dont think anyone can name 29 other pg's in the nba that you would rather have as your starting pg. I really believe we can win and contend with this kid as our starting pg now and in the future. Ok I'll end this long rant now lol..I just wanted to really state my case for gv as our guy cause I dont think he is getting a fairshake as of now with a lot of people on this board. Geaux hornets win lose or draw baby!!!
    I don't hate him in the least and he probably gets as much out of what he has as anyone....his major drawback is something that cant be taught or learned though, and that's a lack of footspeed/manueverability....this hurts him on both sides of the court and always will to some extent....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

    "always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

  5. #5
    elite backup... but he is just too slow to be a starting PG on a competitive team.. no way around it.

  6. #6
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    People have to stop calling criticism "hate". It is getting old at this point.

    The majority of people see Vasquez as an elite backup PG, but not a starter on a contender. He is not up to par with the Westbrook's, the CP3's, the Rose's, the Rondo's, the Parker's, heck even the Mike Conley's of this league. There is no way around it. That is not hate, it is fact.

    It is not about naming 29 point guards who are better. It is about naming 15-18. If Vasquez is #19 (which would be generous IMO), then he is by definition below average. I dont get why people dont understand this concept yet.
    u have to start understanding what HATIN means lol..it does not mean the ugly word HATE..more like not noting all the good he has done and only pointing out the bad so it would be HATIN on that man lol not having HATE for him..get it??..anyways back to the subject...i would really like to see your list of 18 pg's that you say are better than vasquez...also.all the names u listed is just absolutely ridiculous to try and compare him to those elite guys its not fair and anyone we would get will not compare to those guys...this kid is more than capable of running this team with a better lineup than he currently is working with (which is atrocious for a starting lineup btw)..he is just getting started and already ranks in the top half of the nba at his position (again look at what this kid has to play with) its ridiculous...so i will wait on this list of 18 better pg's

  7. #7
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I don't hate him in the least and he probably gets as much out of what he has as anyone....his major drawback is something that cant be taught or learned though, and that's a lack of footspeed/manueverability....this hurts him on both sides of the court and always will to some extent....
    i totally understand the lack of foot speed...but people point it out like he is a dinosaur..this kid played the game of his life against the best pg in the league and i also think he fared very well on defense vs cp3 who has stupid dribble ability...look i understand he wont wow u with his lightning quick moves but to say he isnt a starter in this league when all his numbers say different ill just have to disagree with that..like i said in my 1st post...lets wait n see how he fares when he has some decent to good teammates to play a full season with and not a d league team

  8. #8
    oh yeah, make sure you get all the other positions above average also.

    Sure, you can always spend enough money to get all the positions on the team to be good.
    The reality is we spend nearly 15 million on a guy on the bench. Why not think of trading him or blame Dell about it?

    Also people think they can trade Vasquez, for he has high value and low cost right now. But remember, you simply lose money if you don't get a good value back.

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    People have to stop calling criticism "hate". It is getting old at this point.

    The majority of people see Vasquez as an elite backup PG, but not a starter on a contender. He is not up to par with the Westbrook's, the CP3's, the Rose's, the Rondo's, the Parker's, heck even the Mike Conley's of this league. There is no way around it. That is not hate, it is fact.

    It is not about naming 29 point guards who are better. It is about naming 15-18. If Vasquez is #19 (which would be generous IMO), then he is by definition below average. I dont get why people dont understand this concept yet.

  9. #9
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    People have to stop calling criticism "hate". It is getting old at this point.

    The majority of people see Vasquez as an elite backup PG, but not a starter on a contender. He is not up to par with the Westbrook's, the CP3's, the Rose's, the Rondo's, the Parker's, heck even the Mike Conley's of this league. There is no way around it. That is not hate, it is fact.

    It is not about naming 29 point guards who are better. It is about naming 15-18. If Vasquez is #19 (which would be generous IMO), then he is by definition below average. I dont get why people dont understand this concept yet.
    Im sorry but i just have to point out i love how u made each one of those players u named plural like there are multiples of them in this league..think not

  10. #10
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I really have a hard time understanding all the hatin and displeasure with vasquez. I think u guys are expecting way too much of him too soon based on watching cp3 for many years. Seriously i think we are all spoiled and set the bar way too high on this kid. He has the been the only bright spot on this hornets team this year besides ad which i think is an absolute superstar but thats for another thread. I mean this kid is 4th in assist but he is 20th in assist/turnover ratio but u guys have to remember that based on the circumstances this year that hes had to deal with that is pretty dam good. Even tho he is 20th in a/to ratio like i said on another thread there are 30 nba teams so his numbers def. solidify him as a starting pg in the nba. You really have to consider all things this year when judging this kids play. I mean for most of the season thus far he has been running pretty much a d league team out there on most nights. I really believe once we get a healthy ad and eg in the lineup ( as hard as that seems to be) he will cut down on the turnovers and there will not be as much pressure on him to do it all because right now and as of lately this kid has been the go to guy when points are needed and hes not that guy (even tho he has done pretty good at it imo). Yea he is a little slower but once we upgrade at the sg and sf position assuming we do then that will help a lot on the defensive side of the ball. this kid has the passion,the fight that I love to see in my starting pg. I'll go as far as to say he has a little bit of a clutch gene in his body as well. We all need to wait until the end of next season to really judge and guage where this kid fits on an nba roster because this season thus far he has been dealt a pretty bad hand but yet still ranks in the top half of pg's in the nba. I dont think anyone can name 29 other pg's in the nba that you would rather have as your starting pg. I really believe we can win and contend with this kid as our starting pg now and in the future. Ok I'll end this long rant now lol..I just wanted to really state my case for gv as our guy cause I dont think he is getting a fairshake as of now with a lot of people on this board. Geaux hornets win lose or draw baby!!!
    I'm just going to agree because this WALL is intimidating. Yikes!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    u have to start understanding what HATIN means lol..it does not mean the ugly word HATE..more like not noting all the good he has done and only pointing out the bad so it would be HATIN on that man lol not having HATE for him..get it??..anyways back to the subject...i would really like to see your list of 18 pg's that you say are better than vasquez...also.all the names u listed is just absolutely ridiculous to try and compare him to those elite guys its not fair and anyone we would get will not compare to those guys...this kid is more than capable of running this team with a better lineup than he currently is working with (which is atrocious for a starting lineup btw)..he is just getting started and already ranks in the top half of the nba at his position (again look at what this kid has to play with) its ridiculous...so i will wait on this list of 18 better pg's
    CP3, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, DWill, Parker, Nash, Curry, Wall, Lowry, Conley, Dragic, Lawson, Lin, Jennings, Hill, Teague, Lillard, Calderon, Miller.....

    The list goes on. Thats just 20.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  12. #12
    Davis made me come home The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,191
    This preseason I made a list of the starting PGs in the NBA. I had Vasquez 30th. I would probably put him a few spots higher now, but not that many. I really like him a lot, but I know his limitations.

  13. #13
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    CP3, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, DWill, Parker, Nash, Curry, Wall, Lowry, Conley, Dragic, Lawson, Lin, Jennings, Teague, Lillard, Calderon.....

    The list goes on.
    nash (the guy who cant get on floor cause he is 40 years old?) lowry ( the guy who fell off the map along with his numbers when he went to a small market team)..lin (really?) curry ( the guy who cant stay on the court for more than 10 games in a row?)..i can pick apart a couple more but i can stop there cause 1st of all u only named 17 to begin with...should we post season stats so far this year?? see where all those guys rank (all of them except 3 rank BELOW vasquez in assist per game isnt that a pretty big stat for a pg? i think so

  14. #14
    Really? Jeremy Lin. He only gets more steals than Vasquez.
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeremy_lin/

    Now name three has more production but less salary.

    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    CP3, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, DWill, Parker, Nash, Curry, Wall, Lowry, Conley, Dragic, Lawson, Lin, Jennings, Teague, Lillard, Calderon.....

    The list goes on.

  15. #15
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    This preseason I made a list of the starting PGs in the NBA. I had Vasquez 30th. I would probably put him a few spots higher now, but not that many. I really like him a lot, but I know his limitations.
    I am by no means saying he is elite or close to it...all I am trying to get people to take into consideration is that he hasnt been given a fair shake yet. You have to give this kid a DECENT lineup to play with and 2 or 3 full seasons to guage where he ranks. look at what this kid has to work with this year so far it is ridiculous...ROGER MASON JR is his starting pg!!!! hahahaha what a joke man

  16. #16
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklvyn View Post
    Really? Jeremy Lin. He only gets more steals than Vasquez.
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeremy_lin/

    Now name three has more production but less salary.
    thank you..but that stuff doesnt matter and isnt taken into consideration because jeremy lin is......well.....oh jeremy lin a known name lol...look at lins numbers vs his salary its ludacris

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    nash (the guy who cant get on floor cause he is 40 years old?) lowry ( the guy who fell off the map along with his numbers when he went to a small market team)..lin (really?) curry ( the guy who cant stay on the court for more than 10 games in a row?)..i can pick apart a couple more but i can stop there cause 1st of all u only named 17 to begin with...should we post season stats so far this year?? see where all those guys rank (all of them except 3 rank BELOW vasquez in assist per game isnt that a pretty big stat for a pg? i think so
    A: I listed 18, learn to count.
    B: I added two more to the list and that's now 20 (w/o even giving the topic serious time or thought).
    C: If you don't think Nash, Curry, or Lowry are better PGs than Vasquez, then your homerism is plain embarrassing. I can understand if you don't buy Lin, however. He can be a bit polarizing, and for good reason (inconsistent).

    Quote Originally Posted by jacklvyn View Post
    Really? Jeremy Lin. He only gets more steals than Vasquez.
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeremy_lin/

    Now name three has more production but less salary.
    Extremely stupid point. What does that have to do with the original question?

  18. #18
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,592
    I think salary should defiantly be taken into consideration when you are trying to compare players of similar positions. People want to say he isnt a good pg or isnt a starting pg. Well he isn't getting paid like a good or starting pg either.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    I think salary should defiantly be taken into consideration when you are trying to compare players of similar positions. People want to say he isnt a good pg or isnt a starting pg. Well he isn't getting paid like a good or starting pg either.
    No, it shouldn't. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether one PG is better than another PG. That's a completely different concept. The question wasn't name 18 PGs that you would rather have as a GM. It was name 18 PGs that are better than Vasquez.

    This is especially true given the fact that Vasquez is still on the last years of his rookie contract.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-03-2012 at 02:24 PM.

  20. #20
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    A: I listed 18, learn to count.
    B: I added two more to the list and that's now 20 (w/o even giving the topic serious time or thought).
    C: If you don't think Nash, Curry, or Lowry are better PGs than Vasquez, then your homerism is plain embarrassing. I can understand if you don't buy Lin, however. He can be a bit polarizing, and for good reason (inconsistent).



    Extremely stupid point. What does that have to do with the original question?
    1st of all if u cant handle a discussion without showing your stupidity and try to talk down to people you arent worth discussing with....2nd of all..u are just throwing household names that are known out there...how about u give me the list of starting pg's that have better numbers this year thus far

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    1st of all if u cant handle a discussion without showing your stupidity and try to talk down to people you arent worth discussing with....2nd of all..u are just throwing household names that are known out there...how about u give me the list of starting pg's that have better numbers this year thus far
    Since we're on the subject of stupidity, learn to use periods. (I like how you said that I'm not worth having a conversation with before proceeding to respond to my last post.)

    And unfortunately I have other obligations at the moment (exam tomorrow), so I can't do that at the moment.

    Lastly, using a sample size of roughly 15 games to rank several players is completely illogical. This especially holds weight when players like Miller (15th season) are in the discussion. He's been consistently excellent for a long period of time. Vasquez, on the other hand, has put up solid "career numbers" for 25% of the 2012-13 regular season.

    Vasquez is an elite PG off the bench. Nothing more, nothing less. I love Grevis, but he's not our future. Almost anyone can see that. I wish you were right. But, you're not.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-03-2012 at 02:25 PM.

  22. #22
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    CP3, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, DWill, Parker, Nash, Curry, Wall, Lowry, Conley, Dragic, Lawson, Lin, Jennings, Hill, Teague, Lillard, Calderon, Miller.....

    The list goes on. Thats just 20.
    so i did actual reasearch into all your names by comparing them on nba.com...lawson,teague,wall,lowry,hill,calderon and miller are all BELOW vasquez in most if not all...calderon and miller arent even close but nice try with all the household names...or i guess your gonna say now that this seasons stats dont matter iots about what they have done in the past??

  23. #23
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,592
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    No, it shouldn't. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether one PG is better than another PG. That's a completely different concept. The question wasn't name 18 PGs that you would rather have as a GM. It was name 18 PGs that are better than Vasquez.

    This is especially true given the fact that Vasquez is still the last years of his rookie contract.
    I don't give two ***** about the 18 pg thing, I wasnt asking that question or referring to it. I just said salary should be taken into consideration when you are comparing players of similar positions.

    And it has to do if they are better for their team or not. I will take 5 less ppg 1 or 2 less apg 1 more TO per game if we save 10 million. That money next year will allow us to either upgrade that position or spend the money on a good free agent. Something a team like the clippers will not have the luxury of doing especially with the new lux tax rules coming.

  24. #24
    Basketball Guru    Contributor   
    kclaboy504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,006
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Since we're on the subject of stupidity, learn to use periods.

    And unfortunately I have other obligations at the moment (exam tomorrow), so I can't do that at the moment.

    Last, using a sample size of roughly 15 games to rank several players is completely illogical. This especially holds weight when players like Miller (15th season) are in the discussion. He's been consistently excellent for a long period of time. Vasquez, on the other hand, has put up solid "career numbers" for 25% of the 2012-13 regular season.

    He's an elite PG off the bench. Nothing more, nothing less. I love Grevis, but he's not our future. Almost anyone can see that.
    oh ok so we would rather have a pg based off his last 15 seasons and not his current production am i understanding that right?? I dont think so buddy.................................... is that enough periods for u professor??

  25. #25
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,592
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Lastly, using a sample size of roughly 15 games to rank several players is completely illogical. This especially holds weight when players like Miller (15th season) are in the discussion. He's been consistently excellent for a long period of time. Vasquez, on the other hand, has put up solid "career numbers" for 25% of the 2012-13 regular season.
    You are also completely ignoring the fact that GV has showed HUGE improvement every year he has been in the NBA. People aren't excited about his current play based off of 15 games. They are excited about the potential next year or the year after if he keeps continuing to grow like he has been.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •