Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Team Vets Hold Meeting After Loss To OKC

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I haven't watched all the games lately but some games like the Clippers and Jazz and parts of others.

I've noticed that when things go bad, this team fizzles quickly. Is it because they tune out the coach? Not necessarily, but it does mean that he's not getting through to them enough. Its one thing if this team was playing competitive in their losses and playing defense, but that's not happening right now. Does it mean that the coach is losing the team. Not necessarily, but you have to wonder why they are so prone to getting blown out and why isn't the defensive effort as good as last season. I didn't expect wins and losses with Davis and Gordon out, but I also didn't expect the routine blowouts and a Monty coached team being the worst defensively.
    I believe it's personnel more than anything. Not even the greatest of coaches could make this team consistently competitive. Last year's team had a lot more experience and a lot more of guys playing for contracts. We had Ariza, Okafor, Gustavo, and even Kaman playing solid defense. I think the guys support Monty, but there's only so much he can do. We're incredibly slow and our youth and inexperience is getting us on the rotations.

As for rebounding, the guys are rebounding at their average rates. Davis is just the only big on this team that can grab any defensive boards worth a damn, and he's hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Dell Demps and Monty need to have a team meeting to figure out how to upgrade the roster. Point blank and period. Find guys who first and foremost have the talent to play in the NBA. This a basketball team not a social engineering firm. Let things like coachability, attitude, etc be the difference between guys of equal ability or like ability. Roger Mason, Brian Roberts, and Lance Thomas should be let go and replaced with guys who will actually challenge Vasquez, Rivers, Aminu, and Miller to be better basketball players... they don't need lessons in civility, manners, and professionalism. These guys have parents, agents, etc, who should help with that and if not then they need to be let go anyway. Again this is a basketball team, not a debutante cotillion.
    We should trade Lance Thomas for LeBron. Miami needs the toughness that only Thomas can bring.

I wonder if keeping Carl Landry would have made a difference. He would have been perfect for this team while Davis is out......this thread is so off topic now

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    I wonder if keeping Carl Landry would have made a difference. He would have been perfect for this team while Davis is out......this thread is so off topic now
    He's been really good this season for Golden State off the bench.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

How has Jack been doing?

Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    How has Jack been doing?
    As good as last year. Good offensively for sure. Playing well as a backup.

silver lining... we've played a pretty tough schedule so far. other than maybe the bucks, rockets & suns games I probably saw us being significant underdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    silver lining... we've played a pretty tough schedule so far. other than maybe the bucks, rockets & suns games I probably saw us being significant underdogs.
    2 days ago I read that we've had the 6th toughest schedule so far.

We gotta play team ball, that is all
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    It's hard to miss a short story length post in a thread that is barely more than one page. What parts of it do you agree with? Anything you disagree with?

Agree with 100% of the post.
    Also, some people obviously got all caught up in the excitement of drafting Anthony Davis and forgot that this team was horrid last season, and is currently rebuilding. Anyone who expected a playoff contender this season was not being realistic, and setting themself up for disappointment. It's going to be a painful bump ride back up the standings, but, for those of you with the stomachs to handle it I suggest you fasten your seat belts.
    Last edited by Davisistheman; 12-03-2012 at 07:03 AM.

People were well within their rights to feel excitement going into this season. But once takes over, all of the air goes out of the balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Dell Demps and Monty need to have a team meeting to figure out how to upgrade the roster. Point blank and period. Find guys who first and foremost have the talent to play in the NBA. This a basketball team not a social engineering firm. Let things like coachability, attitude, etc be the difference between guys of equal ability or like ability. Roger Mason, Brian Roberts, and Lance Thomas should be let go and replaced with guys who will actually challenge Vasquez, Rivers, Aminu, and Miller to be better basketball players... they don't need lessons in civility, manners, and professionalism. These guys have parents, agents, etc, who should help with that and if not then they need to be let go anyway. Again this is a basketball team, not a debutante cotillion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    we're hindered by Rashard Lewis' 13.7 million dollar buyout this year.. what do you expect them to do when you have no money and lackluster players to trade. Dell is good, but he cant rob every gm he's tries to.. once that money frees up, we'll have the ability to sign a big name player or a couple decent players to actually have a full roster of nba players, and not d-leaguers. This should be our last year of mediocre performances.. i hope
    Guys that could be brought in on the cheap. Guys who are young, 2-3 years of experience. Have NBA talent, who were drafted into bad situations, loosing teams, crowded positions, coaches who were either flat out bad or didn't have the time or have it in them to develop young guys(see Jermaine O'neal, Tyson Chandler, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups, among others).

If you're not going to be able to make deals right now, you have to at least take a look a guys like these through out the season.

Terrence Williams drafted by (Nets) Bad team
    Armon Johnson (Blazers) Bad team of quitters
    Jerome Jordan (Bucks, after draft traded to Knicks) Bad team to bad team
    Hassan Whitedside (Kings) Guard dominating Bad team
    Alexis Ajinca (Bobcats, eventually traded to the Raptors) Need i say it
    Chris Douglas Roberts (Nets) Bad team

No one is picking up Terrence Williams because of his attitude and personality. Nothing to do with his skills, which are rotation worthy.

No idea about Armon or Jerome because I have never heard of them.

Hassan, Alexis, and CDR are all real bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    People were well within their rights to feel excitement going into this season. But once takes over, all of the air goes out of the balloon.
    Correct, where the problem happens is when excitement turns into unrealistic expectations. With a healthy Gordon this team would be barely flurting with a .500 season. Without him, well, and throw in AD missing weeks and we are seeing a lesser team than we had last season.

Nice play from Lopez, GV (Munis the turnovers), Ryan Anderson and the wealth of cap space the Hornets have is what is keeping my balloon inflated.

Wait.. That didn't come out right... Oh nevermind....

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Guys that could be brought in on the cheap. Guys who are young, 2-3 years of experience. Have NBA talent, who were drafted into bad situations, loosing teams, crowded positions, coaches who were either flat out bad or didn't have the time or have it in them to develop young guys(see Jermaine O'neal, Tyson Chandler, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups, among others).

If you're not going to be able to make deals right now, you have to at least take a look a guys like these through out the season.

Terrence Williams drafted by (Nets) Bad team
    Armon Johnson (Blazers) Bad team of quitters
    Jerome Jordan (Bucks, after draft traded to Knicks) Bad team to bad team
    Hassan Whitedside (Kings) Guard dominating Bad team
    Alexis Ajinca (Bobcats, eventually traded to the Raptors) Need i say it
    Chris Douglas Roberts (Nets) Bad team
    This sounds like a smart thing to do, I mean, it's not like you'd be upsetting the consistancy of the bench. The current Hornets roster has 13 players, why leave the seats empty? Anyone you get of the FA wire likely isn't going to break the bank at this point. How about that Matt Carroll that was part of the Warwick trade, what ever happened to him?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I guess some of the guys took that meeting to heart because we looked good last night. Yeah it was just an 8-7 team but defensively we looked great. Especially in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    No one is picking up Terrence Williams because of his attitude and personality. Nothing to do with his skills, which are rotation worthy.

No idea about Armon or Jerome because I have never heard of them.

Hassan, Alexis, and CDR are all real bad.
    You can't call them real bad after only 2-3 years of play. What we have is 2 empty roster spots and at least 3-4 guys who shouldn't be in the NBA right now on our team, that's real bad. Those guys have NBA talent if not skill and if all things are equal could come in here and take roster spots on this team.

So you're telling me that you wouldn't be willing to exchange Brian Roberts, Lance Thomas, Roger Mason and X for any combination of the young guys i listed, taking in to account you didn't know who a couple were.

As far as Terrence Williams and his attitude, i think that's more confidence and being in bad situations with no way for his game to develop. Stephen Jackson had the same type of issues even at this late stage of his career and the Saints traded for Shockey. Strong coaches and organizations can make lemonade.

Terrence Williams is to young for the NBA to give up on and a team like ours can afford to take a chance. We have a strong foundation and it wouldn't be a financial gamble. If it doesn't work or he gives us problems you cut him loose. Besides Monty needs a few guys with that bulldog mentality to go with all the softer guys on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    This sounds like a smart thing to do, I mean, it's not like you'd be upsetting the consistancy of the bench. The current Hornets roster has 13 players, why leave the seats empty? Anyone you get of the FA wire likely isn't going to break the bank at this point. How about that Matt Carroll that was part of the Warwick trade, what ever happened to him?
    He got bought out, Demps mentioned that deal was a favor for Warrick so he could get mintues.

Terrence Williams is a *******. No one likes him as a person. That is why he is not on a team. It has nothing to do with his talent, except that he doesn't have enough to overcome the fact that no one wants him to be their teammate. The guys I said are bad are just bad. Exchanging bad for bad does nothing. The ones I said I didn't know about are worth taking a flyer on, but probably not worth cutting one of our own bad players for.

Thread Information