Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't confusse the two....

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

Don't confusse the two....

I read the post about "Why hate Vasquez?"....Nobody hates him...don't confuse people when they are evaluating a players GAME with discussing a players personality or if he's liked or not.

In this case many have been purely evaluating a player game not what kind of a person he is. Its Professional Sports and that requires finding the best talent you can. It performance and skill based.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Yeah, it seems that the current administration is looking for Miss Congeniality when when should be looking for Miss USA.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I love Greivis Vasquez.

But his short comings are too big to be a starter in this league.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Vasquez would be perfect to play with a 100% healthy Gordon. They could switch responsibilities on the defensive end. Let him guard Westbrook while Vasquez guards whoever is at SG.

It'd work. If we absolutely have to start Vasquez. But right now? With the otpions being an iffy Rivers and subpar Mason? Not a good defensive look. Also, Vasquez handles pressure like a Kardashian handles relationships.

I believe that he is a quality backup PG therefore I don't like him as a starter...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Vasquez would be perfect to play with a 100% healthy Gordon. They could switch responsibilities on the defensive end. Let him guard Westbrook while Vasquez guards whoever is at SG.

It'd work. If we absolutely have to start Vasquez. But right now? With the otpions being an iffy Rivers and subpar Mason? Not a good defensive look. Also, Vasquez handles pressure like a Kardashian handles relationships.
    Had to bring the Kardashians into this, didn't you?
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Yeah. I think Vasquez is a potentially a very good fit next to a healthy Gordon.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

If Eric Gordon has to run all over the court, guarding the quickest player in the NBA, EGO's offensive production will TANK.. He CANT guard Westbrook !

Meh, after reading posts I feel many people dont watch games, or possibly pay attention to the defensive concept we run. How often have we run a man scheme? 90% of the time its been zone concept. No one is "chasing" anyone anywhere...You stop penetration, rotate, rotate, and rotate. Quick hands and length. With a healthy Anthony Davis and Eric Gordon our defense would be just fine with greivis starting at the point. His main issue is being trapped, fighting through the double, and stopping the silly turnovers. Other than that he can score, see's the open guy, and has the ability to play solid defense when needed, certainly nothing spectacular but its not bad.

**Edit**
    I should have added, fighting through screens is a must as well, but thats a given. This is something no one seems to be able to do on this team though. Austin Rivers in particular. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If Eric Gordon has to run all over the court, guarding the quickest player in the NBA, EGO's offensive production will TANK.. He CANT guard Westbrook !
    Oh. Then let's let Vasquez continue to not guard him then...

Anyway, run all over the court? He's got the ball 80% of the time cuz he's a ball hogging buffoon. It's not like he's guarding Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton, and Kevin Martin rolled into one, going through dozens of screens and hte like.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    GV is legit. I think people are spoiled into thinking that all point guards have to be CP3 or Derron Williams. We saw last night that the PG position has changed. Brandon Jennings is a PG. But he can also play 2. GV is a PG. Is he perfect? No. Is he effective? yes. He makes plays. I think this guy is smart enough on the offensive end to make it very difficult for defenses. And once we get fully healthy he will flourish. The two guys that offset his offensive and defensive weaknesses arent even playing. Davis will help if his man goes by him and EG will help when the PG he is facing is a good defender.

I think the proof in how effective he is as a PG is seen in the way Lopez is playing. A lot of the stuff Lopez is doing is because GV knows how to find him. Notice too he gets him the ball when he knows Lopez has the offensive advantage. It aint something where Robin has to do a whole lot to get his shot.

Who can gaurd Westbrook?

Someone has to. I mean we can't expect to ascend unless we use what we got. Can't put Gordon on Durant. It's a waste to put Gordon on Thefalosha. Kevin Martin would be better served guarded by him sure, but most of the time you're looking at Thefalosha and Westbrook on the court together. Who would you rather guard whom? Cuz Ariza will draw Durant no matter how ineffective vs him (like just about everyone short of LeBron, Ron Artest, or Iggy)?

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    Who can gaurd Westbrook?
    Sorry I need to revise my statement.

Who in the NBA can guard Westbrook? The dude is a matchup nightmare for every single player in the league

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    Who can gaurd Westbrook?
    Conditionally, not many . Gordon certainly CANT . nor should he ! Our GO TO guy on offense is not supposed to be relied upon to be a shut down guy on defense ! Westbrook is a beast & yes, a ballhog, but it doesnt make him any less aggravating as far as trying to cover him..non-stop motor !

Someone has to. I mean we can't expect to ascend unless we use what we got. Can't put Gordon on Durant. It's a waste to put Gordon on Thefalosha. Kevin Martin would be better served guarded by him sure, but most of the time you're looking at Thefalosha and Westbrook on the court together. Who would you rather guard whom? Cuz Ariza will draw Durant no matter how ineffective vs him (like just about everyone short of LeBron, Ron Artest, or Iggy)?
    DID you say ARIZA !?????? ummmmmmmm

Ariza, Aminu, April O'Neal. Same thing.

Ariza, Aminu, April O'Neal. Same thing.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    I read the post about "Why hate Vasquez?"....Nobody hates him...don't confuse people when they are evaluating a players GAME with discussing a players personality or if he's liked or not.

In this case many have been purely evaluating a player game not what kind of a person he is. Its Professional Sports and that requires finding the best talent you can. It performance and skill based.
    I wasnt meaning hate him as a person..hatin means not recognizing all the good he does and dismissing it and talking about nothing but the bad. Therefor hatin on his skills and game. Not at all was I saying people hate him as a person or hate him meaning the ugly nasty word hate.

most analysis about players can easily forget players personality. How hard a player is willing to work? how smart he is? These kinds of questions are really not asked enough. Yeah, basketball is a game which requires high athletic. However, a winning heart is usually the most important factor that drives players to succeed, just like anything you do in other field.

I remember how some people laughed Yao for his weakness at the beginning of his NBA career and then later how hard he worked to improve.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I wasnt meaning hate him as a person..hatin means not recognizing all the good he does and dismissing it and talking about nothing but the bad. Therefor hatin on his skills and game. Not at all was I saying people hate him as a person or hate him meaning the ugly nasty word hate.
    It all comes down to Eric Gordon.

If Gordon is healthy, he diminishes a lot of Greivis's short comings, but without Gordon those things are brought to the light.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    It all comes down to Eric Gordon.

If Gordon is healthy, he diminishes a lot of Greivis's short comings, but without Gordon those things are brought to the light.
    Gordon would definitely help. The problem is right now we have no 2 on this team that can make up for GV's lack of athleticism/speed on the defensive side of the ball. It's not a knock on GV its just a fact, some matchups it doesnt seem as bad because he can use his length to his advantage but against quicker guys it is noticeable.

God forbid he'll have to play defense as well as offense for $15 million a year.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I don't know what you expect, there are a lot of players in the nba who are good offensively and play defense.

Re: Don't confusse the two....

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    I don't know what you expect, there are a lot of players in the nba who are good offensively and play defense.
    Westbrool being one of them (when he isn't being dumb and actually sticks with his man during off-ball movement).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information