Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I dont understand how more diehard Hornets fans aren't pro-losing {merged tank talk}

I dont understand how more diehard Hornets fans aren't pro-losing {merged tank talk}

I understood the preseason hype that we could compete for a 7 or 8 seed if everything went well all year, but that obviously went out the window from Day 1 when Eric Gordon's knee condition (we're giving him the benefit of the doubt for this post) was unknown and we was that the Timberwolves were legit even without Love and Rubio (and wait until they're both back - Minny could be a top 4 team in the West).

With that said, as soon as it became apparent that EG10 would miss a significant amount of time and that Austin Rivers was so raw it became a no-brainer that we want a top lottery pick for the long-term benefit of our team.

My biggest pet peeve is the conventional wisdom that the 2013 NBA Draft class is "garbage" and "useless". That is patently false. The opportunity to add an immediate asset and potential future All Star like Shabazz Muhammad, Nerlins Noel (WHICH OF THOSE NAMES IS MORE AWESOME AND MORE FUN TO SAY?), or possibly Cody Zeller is so enticing that I already find myself rooting against the Hornets literally every time we take the floor. I was even bummed that we lost to Chrissypoo Paul and Flop City earlier this week. This 2013 Draft class is improving its stock every week - and it is COMPLETELY WORTH losing for.

So what is the point of this post? I guess I'm just curious as to what others are thinking. Isn't it pretty obvious that this year is already shot? Does somebody want to convince me with logic and reason (not some dismissive "you never root for your team to lose" nonsense) why we should finish out of the lottery for "morale" reasons? Isn't it obvious that landing Anthony Davis was worth all the losses last year, and wouldn't we be willing to repeat that process for a decent-sized chance of landing another huge asset for a great rookie salary?
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.

If Charlotte buys back the Hornets name and we are called something diff and wearing Wizards collours.. I will feel little none towards the team anymore.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EpOwUDTuIOM

I didn't worry about it last year and guess what? We got AD23. This is a team I love and am a huge fan of, I always want them to win, no matter the circumstance.

Rooting for them to lose is something I will NEVER do. If we get one of those players, it's just gravy.

Good news folks!

The tank is out of the shop.

We currently have the 5th worst record int he NBA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings/_/group/1/order/false

Cody Zeller/Alex Lin/ Otto guy, preparer yourselves.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

YAY!!!!!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

While I don't think this dismal record will last, I would be all for another top 5 pick. I could handle another season of watching young players developing, playing hard, making their mistakes, growing, and losing a lot of close, exciting games.

I just think that, when Gordon and Davis come back, we'll be just outside of the 8th seed, which puts us as a late-lotto pick, which I don't like. If we are going to lose, I'd rather lose big and get another top-5 pick. I can take it!

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    While I don't think this dismal record will last, I would be all for another top 5 pick. I could handle another season of watching young players developing, playing hard, making their mistakes, growing, and losing a lot of close, exciting games.

I just think that, when Gordon and Davis come back, we'll be just outside of the 8th seed, which puts us as a late-lotto pick, which I don't like. If we are going to lose, I'd rather lose big and get another top-5 pick. I can take it!
    Benson's wallet can't. Well it could but the NBA ain't no charity. Being close to an 8th seed and .500 is just what this team needs right now. Not another shot in the dark on some lottery pick. Got enough young projects as it is.

I disagree. While tanking may lose Benson money short-term, it would place us in a better position to improve the team more quickly. Lottery pick + FA= better team next year (and long-term) and thus much more money for Benson next season (and long-term) to compensate for his imminent loses this season. This is assuming, of course, that the upcoming draft is as top-heavy as advertised.

FYI I'm kind of down to tank one more season. I think adding a Top 5 pick to the core of Rivers, Gordon, Davis, Anderson, and potential FA could be special. Next season onwards, however, I expect our team to be competitive and to improve every year.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-02-2012 at 01:36 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    I disagree. While tanking may lose Benson money short-term, it would place us in a better position to improve the team more quickly. Lottery pick + FA= better team next year (and long-term) and thus much more money for Benson next season (and long-term) to compensate for his imminent loses this season. This is assuming, of course, that the upcoming draft is as top-heavy as advertised.

FYI I'm kind of down to tank one more season. I think adding a Top 5 pick to the core of Rivers, Gordon, Davis, Anderson, and potential FA could be special. Next season onwards, however, I expect our team to be competitive and to improve every year.
    Ditto.

We can't even keep our current 'stars' healthy. So I am very pessimistic about the future of this team, and losing makes it worse. And you need to take 'diehard' out the title of this thread. That is an insult to those who are really diehards. I think the diehards are the season ticket holders who have supported the team since they've gotten here, yelling at the top of their lungs for the team to win every game. Yeah, they are loyal even when they lose, but wishing for the team to lose??? Those at home watching it on TV, rooting for the team to lose every night so they can have a reason to attend the games once (if) they become contenders in 5 years are not diehard fans. I seriously doubt season ticket holders spent all that money to root for the team to lose.

Say we finish with the 5th worst record we have a good shot at a top 3 pick. Could u imagine the possibilities?

Draft shabazz, trade Vasques, 2014 1st round pick and money for cousins
    Rivers
    Gordon
    Shabazz
    Davis
    Cousins
    This team would be soo good in 3 years its not even funny, I'm talking best in the league.

Or if shabazz is gone taking Cody or Noel then signing a free agent small forward would be great. Now if all 3 are gone and we land the 4th pick I would trade down and take Otto porter, this kid is incredible, scores w ease, shooting like 70% from 3 and is averaging like 19 points and 10 rebounds and I think he's the 4th best player in the draft

Is it you who keeps coming up with this Vasquez for Cousins idea I'm seeing all over this site? That is never going to happen. The Kings know he is by far their best players + they have several PG options. That's like suggesting we trade Aaron Brooks and a 1st for the brow. Not happening bro

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Say we finish with the 5th worst record we have a good shot at a top 3 pick. Could u imagine the possibilities?

Rivers
    Gordon
    Shabazz
    Davis
    Cousins
    This team would be soo good in 3 years its not even funny, I'm talking best in the league.

Or if shabazz is gone taking Cody or Noel then signing a free agent small forward would be great. Now if all 3 are gone and we land the 4th pick I would trade down and take Otto porter, this kid is incredible, scores w ease, shooting like 70% from 3 and is averaging like 19 points and 10 rebounds and I think he's the 4th best player in the draft

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You don't just jump from poor to good. Gotta be average at some point in the interim. Just lose until we have a bunch of good players then BOOM we're contenders? Don't work that way. Getting Shabazz or whoever sounds sexy, but we need to experience winning as much as possible. It's not like we're losing a bunch at full strength here.

And everytime I read the T-word I want to pull the poster's guts out.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post

Rivers
    Gordon
    Shabazz
    Davis
    Cousins

You know this ain't gone happen, and we know this ain't gone happen.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    My thing is, without your top two guys how do you really evaluate the team? I guess you can say you are, but your really just making assumptions on how Gordon and Lopez play together, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You don't just jump from poor to good. Gotta be average at some point in the interim. Just lose until we have a bunch of good players then BOOM we're contenders? Don't work that way. Getting Shabazz or whoever sounds sexy, but we need to experience winning as much as possible. It's not like we're losing a bunch at full strength here.

And everytime I read the T-word I want to pull the poster's guts out.
    I agree with you on learning how to win. But let's face it it's talent that wins in this league. The more you have the more you're likely to be successful and at a higher level. Like you said we have no idea with this team is like at full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post

To attract free agents, you can't lose by double digits every other game.

I've been rooting for losses as well. It is for the better of the team. You get a guy like Shabazz, and sign a good free agent with the cap space, then the team is in line to become a real contender. AD, Gordon, Shabazz, Anderson, Free agent PG...very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceedee M View Post
    We can't even keep our current 'stars' healthy. So I am very pessimistic about the future of this team, and losing makes it worse. And you need to take 'diehard' out the title of this thread. That is an insult to those who are really diehards. I think the diehards are the season ticket holders who have supported the team since they've gotten here, yelling at the top of their lungs for the team to win every game. Yeah, they are loyal even when they lose, but wishing for the team to lose??? Those at home watching it on TV, rooting for the team to lose every night so they can have a reason to attend the games once (if) they become contenders in 5 years are not diehard fans. I seriously doubt season ticket holders spent all that money to root for the team to lose.
    Agree 100%. And most top free agents are looking for a place that is already winning unless you overpay for them. I can't imagine rooting for a team, that I'm a fan of, to lose. If they just happen to lose because of circumstance, then that's a different story.

I try to attend games every time I come to town and usually have to purchase multiple tickets. It sucks to know people are at home rooting for them to lose...

blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    blah blah blah
    Exactly

In terms of FAs "not" wanting to sign with us, I think you guys are underestimating the fact that people want to play with guys like Davis, Anderson, and Gordon. All 3 are great players, and all 3 are unselfish players, especially Davis though. Don't underestimate his sex appeal, if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    blah blah blah

So die hard fans are supposed to root for their teams to lose? where do you people get this stuff from? Ask the Kings how stocking up on top lottery picks is working out for them or ask the Clippers before Blake how it worked out for them. Geesh we are really living in a 2k world

A friend of mine put it best: "you aren't promised tomorrow. I want to see my hornets win and compete now. so I can't root for them to lose ever. "

This pretty much reflects how I feel too. I cheer for the hornets to win every single game. I understand we lack talent and I dream of high draft picks also, but I can't cheer for a loss. If we do lose, so be it. At that point I console myself by saying it may lead to a better draft pick.

Thread Information