Pelicans Report

Thread: Draft Watch: Kentucky Vs. Baylor

Draft Draft Watch: Kentucky Vs. Baylor

Good chance to watch two 7 footers projected to go pretty high in the draft this year: Nerlens Noel and Isaiah Austin. Also get the chance to watch Alex Poythress. Its on CBS right now.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Didn't watch the game, getting my hair cut. Noel ripped down 17 boards. Polywrath got 13 points. Austin got outrebounded, but his team won. That's aight, I guess. But how'd they all look?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Didn't watch the game, getting my hair cut. Noel ripped down 17 boards. Polywrath got 13 points. Austin got outrebounded, but his team won. That's aight, I guess. But how'd they all look?
    The entire game was really sloppy by both teams but I loved what I saw from Noel. Put backs, domination on the boards and excellent passing for a man his size. He'll easily go top 3. This is said to be a weak draft class but the arguable top 3 prospects re studs: Noel, Muhammad, and Zeller. In my opinion, it will be hard to guess what order those guys get drafted in come draft night.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Unless the class is super stacked, you always hear how weak classes are.

True..

Kentucky is crap this year
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Unless the class is super stacked, you always hear how weak classes are.
    And even then, you will still get people calling the class weak because it doesn't meet some random criteria they have (like too many freshmen that "haven't proved anything" being at the top of the draft boards).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    It's unfortunate, but it's true

They have no vets on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    It's unfortunate, but it's true

They have no vets on that team.
    ohh yeah!!!! UNC!!!!
    HR Sim League Orlando Magic

PG: Luke Ridnour, Delonte West, Greg Minor

SG: Andre Iguodala, Mickael Pietrus

SF: Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Boris Diaw

PF: Charlie Villanueva, Ian Mahinimi, Amir Johnson

C: Eddy Curry, Mamadou Ndiaye, Adam Parada

Kind of hard to compare this team vs last year's team. While this team is very talented, they're also very young and inexperienced. Last year's team had the luxury of having experienced guys like Lamb, Miller, and Jones who all played heavy roles in their success.

Coach Cal warned us that the team wouldn't be very good in the early stages of the season, but I don't think anyone was expecting this. The team doesn't have an offensive identity right now. All we can hope for is the pieces to click together like they did 2 years ago after their 8 loss season.

Nerlens Noel should seriously consider playing more than 1 year in college. He's not NBA-ready right now.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    Coach Cal warned us that the team wouldn't be very good in the early stages of the season, but I don't think anyone was expecting this. The team doesn't have an offensive identity right now. All we can hope for is the pieces to click together like they did 2 years ago after their 8 loss season.

Nerlens Noel should seriously consider playing more than 1 year in college. He's not NBA-ready right now.

I agree. The Anthony Davis comparisons are completely unwarranted. This kid is extremely raw and less capable on both ends of the court than AD was last year. Like Coach Cal put it, Davis is a once every ten years type of talent. Physical freaks, with minimally developed games, like Noel pop up every year in the draft (ex. Drummond).
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-02-2012 at 01:26 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    He probably should, but ultimately won't. I mean he could, but he smells going first and when you've got that chance you take it.

Staying can help or hurt you as Cody Zeller stayed and he will probably rise in the draft from around 7th to 3rd. But it can hurt too, see Sullinger's injury concerns. So when you've got first already in sight and no injury concerns staying can only hurt.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 12-02-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    He probably should, but ultimately won't. I mean he could, but he smells going first and when you've got that chance you take it.

Staying can help or hurt you as Cody Zeller stayed and he will probably rise in the draft from around 7th to 3rd. But it can hurt too, see Sullinger's injury concerns. So when you've got first already in sight and no injury concerns staying can only hurt.
    No doubt its in Noel's best interest to opt for the draft this year. GMs are always blinded by athletic big men.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-02-2012 at 01:57 AM.

And staying in college an extra year doesn't help you that much (other than draft position). Being drafted and playing in the D-League puts you against better competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    And staying in college an extra year doesn't help you that much (other than draft position). Being drafted and playing in the D-League puts you against better competition.
    Being coached by a man like John Calipari can certainly help. The knock on Noel coming out of high school was that his game was very unpolished. That's something that Cal can change.

Re: Draft Watch: Kentucky Vs. Baylor

D-League teams have big men coaches. You get more 1on1 time with people that know your position and more practice time. You will improve more and faster in the pros than in college.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Overrated.

Draft Watch: Kentucky Vs. Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    D-League teams have big men coaches. You get more 1on1 time with people that know your position and more practice time. You will improve more and faster in the pros than in college.

Yeah but teams drafting in the top 3 don't have the luxury to send that player to the D League right away, they expect that player to contribute. I don't know of any top 3 players being deemed a project.

Re: Draft Watch: Kentucky Vs. Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by Nsingh93 View Post
    Yeah but teams drafting in the top 3 don't have the luxury to send that player to the D League right away, they expect that player to contribute. I don't know of any top 3 players being deemed a project.
    How could you forget Thabeet?!

And top 3 picks will never be hurting for instructional time or playing time. And teams drafting in the top 3 are often very patient because, well, they were bad enough to get top 3. Davis and MKG are both projects. They had a few skills which were NBA ready (or at least close enough) but had tons of holes in their game.

If you draft someone for "potential" you are getting a project. Lottery picks are often projects. It is later in the first round where you find guys who don't have much potential but can help a team right away as a rotational player.

Noel has been so unimpressive offensively. If he can't dunk it, he can't score. Polythress looks like a gerald wallace - MKG type of player. I like Isiah Austin's game. He can stretch the floor and he will add weight to his 7-1 frame

Thread Information