Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider Trade Idea: Lopez to Boston

ESPN Insider Trade Idea: Lopez to Boston

Here is the Insider piece:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...contenders-nba

The Trade Idea from ESPN Insider Joe Keiser is:

Boston Celtics acquire: Robin Lopez
    New Orleans Hornets acquire: Courtney Lee, Boston's 2013 1st round pick
    (Note: Lopez and Lee cannot be traded until Dec. 15)

{Per TOS, full pay for content pieces are not allowed}

Interesting idea. I would do it in a heartbeat if offered. What do you all think?
    @mcnamara247

No, I think I would pass. The 1st rounder would be lottery protected likely, and Lee is nothing special. Lopez has played well and is on a very good contract for the Hornets. Would't trade big for small.

No thank you.

No thanks! I'm good!

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    No, I think I would pass. The 1st rounder would be lottery protected likely, and Lee is nothing special. Lopez has played well and is on a very good contract for the Hornets. Would't trade big for small.
    This is more or less my feeling, too. I don't think the pick would be worth much and it is not worth taking on Lee's guaranteed contract for no upgrade in talent.

Like we need another guard to develop

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Eh. Gonna say no to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Eh. Gonna say no to this.
    This.

Who's our center if we make this trade?

People always dismiss 1st rounders that will be in the 20's in December, but would kill for them in June. Almost everybody on this board was in love with a Perry Jones or a Quincy Miller, Sullinger, Fournier, etc. and wanted so desperately to acquire another pick in that range. So, keep that in mind when dismissing any 1st rounder.

As for Lee vs. Lopez- Lee is the better player, Lopez is the better contract since it is not guaranteed. Courtney Lee has turned himself into an elite on-ball defender, like top 5-10 in the league elite, and since I think Rivers is a point guard and Gordon will always be one play away from missing 4-6 weeks, I want a legit backup SG behind that.

Couple that with the fact that this draft is big man heavy, and so is this free agent class, and I take Lee hands down, then draft a 4th big while I increase Smith, Davis, and Anderson's minutes in the meantime. Win-win-win.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Tempting, but I'd say no.

You hear "first rounder" and teams start salivating. But, Boston's first would be 20+ and Robin Lopez would be exactly the kind of player you would be glad to get with that late first. I wouldn't mind getting Lee though. It'd be fun to have an actual shooting guard deserving of minutes to play while Gordons out.

But no. Maybe if they added a little bit more.

Why, Lance Thomas of course!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    People always dismiss 1st rounders that will be in the 20's in December, but would kill for them in June. Almost everybody on this board was in love with a Perry Jones or a Quincy Miller, Sullinger, Fournier, etc. and wanted so desperately to acquire another pick in that range. So, keep that in mind when dismissing any 1st rounder.

As for Lee vs. Lopez- Lee is the better player, Lopez is the better contract since it is not guaranteed. Courtney Lee has turned himself into an elite on-ball defender, like top 5-10 in the league elite, and since I think Rivers is a point guard and Gordon will always be one play away from missing 4-6 weeks, I want a legit backup SG behind that.

Couple that with the fact that this draft is big man heavy, and so is this free agent class, and I take Lee hands down, then draft a 4th big while I increase Smith, Davis, and Anderson's minutes in the meantime. Win-win-win.
    Last year draft was the exception not the rule. That was basically two drafts in one.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Last year draft was the exception not the rule. That was basically two drafts in one.
    I studied that draft all year for my pieces, and I am doing the same this year and I would make this bet with anybody

#'s 10-30 will be better in 2013 than it was in 2012. The 2012 draft was more top heavy and had a true franchise changer (which 2013 does not have) but 2013 has better players in Tiers 3-5.

Which, if true, by definition means it's a deeper draft.

That is so dumb. I mean wth is this 2K?... Monty has complained since he got here about the lack of height on the team and now he's going to trade his 7footer for Courtney Lee of all people? Some of these major writers should learn more about the team before trying to trade off the players

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I studied that draft all year for my pieces, and I am doing the same this year and I would make this bet with anybody

#'s 10-30 will be better in 2013 than it was in 2012. The 2012 draft was more top heavy and had a true franchise changer (which 2013 does not have) but 2013 has better players in Tiers 3-5.
    Still a crap shoot at best. I wouldn't be willing to gamble regardless of how much studying goes into it. The fact is we're talking about individuals, with so many variables that could lead a player in different directions. It's hard to take that chance in general, but especially with lower picks when its not absolutely necessary.

You know what you have right now with Lopez, nothing special, but a descent player with no true center debt behind him. If you're going to trade him it has to be apart of a package that's going to land you a really good player or players that are worthy of taking the hit that would come with making Jason Smith your starting C for the season.

To me that deal would be making a trade just to make a trade. Right now i know some say leave things alone and develop what you have, but we still don't have much, we need more and we need to make deals count with the roster we have, we don't have bad contracts and we have some disposal guys and a couple empty roster spots, plus the belief by other teams that we will be a high lottery team again this year.

I'm all for collecting picks, but that's after we get a stronger roster. Lopez like Vasquez cold be a super sub for us once we get the guy that's going to really play next to Davis. I rather keep him on the roster and have him at that time, than find the guy and have no true center behind him, because i believe through trade, free agency or the draft it's going to happen in the next couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    That is so dumb. I mean wth is this 2K?... Monty has complained since he got here about the lack of height on the team and now he's going to trade his 7footer for Courtney Lee of all people? Some of these major writers should learn more about the team before trying to trade off the players
    AGREED! Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Crap shoot dude, I see some Hilton Armstrong's myself!
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 12-01-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
    Like we need another guard to develop
    Lee is already developed.

It's tempting. Kinda indifferent on this. I like what Lopez is doing for us, plus we wouldn't have anyone legitimate to start at Center for us. I don't know, seems kinda risky.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    This is one of those trades that I would be ok with if we made it, as its reasonable. But personally, I wouldn't make the move.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Not that I would pass, but the Celtics surely will. Lee has been O.K for them and I just doubt they will accept this. Varejoa, he will take alot to get and I've heard OKC in play for receiving(I'm only 16 so my "sources" aren't reliable at all. Cousins? I pass. The guy has the talent to be one of the best post players ever, but I doubt anyone can make him believe so and let em know he isn't a guard.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Lee is already developed.

It's tempting. Kinda indifferent on this. I like what Lopez is doing for us, plus we wouldn't have anyone legitimate to start at Center for us. I don't know, seems kinda risky.
    He would hinder the development of the guards we already have, and we definitely don't need another shooting guard who can't contribute right away.

I will rather keep him than trade him. Robin's offensive game is elevating.

You don't trade a quality big for scraps... especially one on a very good contract.

lee has a PER of 7 so far this yr...he is playing horrible

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I like having a good center.

Thread Information