.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Doing a paper on NBA's "One and Done" rule. HELP?

  1. #1
    All-Star Ball Boy Nsingh93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    311

    Help Doing a paper on NBA's "One and Done" rule. HELP?

    I have a paper to do for my English Finals and my topic is the one and done rule. Can anyone help me with some pros and cons on the topic? I've kind of ran into a brick wall on what i want to talk about. Thanks!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,785
    pros: Injuries - it doesnt happen to often, but there are some college football players who's draft stock is sky high, fall dramatically because of a significant injury suffered in college. Injuries can happen to anyone at any point in time but this factors into a players decision to enter the draft or stay another year. A current example would be Marcus Lattimore, would have easily been the 1st RB taken in the draft.

    Length of career - by coming out a few years earlier, you can in a sense "prolong" the average professional sports career by coming out a year or 2 earlier

    cons: Inexperience - playing only 1 year in college does not let most players fully develop their skills before pushing them into the nba talent pool. There have been numerous occasions where someone has all the talent in the world but just flopped in the nba. A lot believe staying and further learning the basics in college could have helped some of those players.

    the message - it lets 18 and 19 year old kids believe that as long as they excel in a sport, it is ok to give up on their education. Now some players go back to college after being drafted and finish school or get some kind of degree, and i applaud those guys. But let's face it, for most nba players this is not the case.

    There are many more pros and cons but hopefully this will help you out a little.
    My Anthony Davis website: http://thebrow.uphero.com/

  4. #4
    All-Star Ball Boy Nsingh93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    311
    I have a lot of sources, but those three definitley help, much more in depth than my other sources! Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    pros: Injuries - it doesnt happen to often, but there are some college football players who's draft stock is sky high, fall dramatically because of a significant injury suffered in college. Injuries can happen to anyone at any point in time but this factors into a players decision to enter the draft or stay another year. A current example would be Marcus Lattimore, would have easily been the 1st RB taken in the draft.

    Length of career - by coming out a few years earlier, you can in a sense "prolong" the average professional sports career by coming out a year or 2 earlier

    cons: Inexperience - playing only 1 year in college does not let most players fully develop their skills before pushing them into the nba talent pool. There have been numerous occasions where someone has all the talent in the world but just flopped in the nba. A lot believe staying and further learning the basics in college could have helped some of those players.

    the message - it lets 18 and 19 year old kids believe that as long as they excel in a sport, it is ok to give up on their education. Now some players go back to college after being drafted and finish school or get some kind of degree, and i applaud those guys. But let's face it, for most nba players this is not the case.

    There are many more pros and cons but hopefully this will help you out a little.
    Yeah i plan on using statistics of players who stayed in college for three to four years to players who were one and done and try to compare their success just don't know how that will work out. Maybe compare statistics of highschool players to One and Done players?

  5. #5
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsingh93 View Post
    Yeah i plan on using statistics of players who stayed in college for three to four years to players who were one and done and try to compare their success just don't know how that will work out. Maybe compare statistics of highschool players to One and Done players?
    It is going to be hard to prove whatever point you are trying to make with game statistics. I would try to find stats on different things. Like average nba career for one and doners vs 2+ years of college or something like that. If you want to use game stats like ppg rpg, etc you will probably want to compare nba stats (not hs or ncaa) from the first 1-2 seasons of a one and done player vs those from the 1-2 seasons of a 2+ college year player. That would be interesting. Make sure to use similar positions though, dont compare guards to forwards lol. Should be a good paper when it's done. There is A LOT of discussion on this topic out there.

  6. #6
    All-Star Ball Boy Nsingh93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    It is going to be hard to prove whatever point you are trying to make with game statistics. I would try to find stats on different things. Like average nba career for one and doners vs 2+ years of college or something like that. If you want to use game stats like ppg rpg, etc you will probably want to compare nba stats (not hs or ncaa) from the first 1-2 seasons of a one and done player vs those from the 1-2 seasons of a 2+ college year player. That would be interesting. Make sure to use similar positions though, dont compare guards to forwards lol. Should be a good paper when it's done. There is A LOT of discussion on this topic out there.
    Yeah what i meant by comparing stats was to compare the rookie stats of a player straight out of highschool (Lou Williams) to a player who was one and done (Jrue Holiday) so i guess these statistics would be in benefit to the One and Done rule. I just feel finding statistics for one and done players to two year-four year players so it is against the One and Done rule can potentially be tricky.

  7. #7
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsingh93 View Post
    Yeah what i meant by comparing stats was to compare the rookie stats of a player straight out of highschool (Lou Williams) to a player who was one and done (Jrue Holiday) so i guess these statistics would be in benefit to the One and Done rule. I just feel finding statistics for one and done players to two year-four year players so it is against the One and Done rule can potentially be tricky.
    Gotcha. I wasnt' even thinking about HS. Yeah it probably will be tricky but it may help support your argument a little better. Good luck.

  8. #8
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsingh93 View Post
    Yeah what i meant by comparing stats was to compare the rookie stats of a player straight out of highschool (Lou Williams) to a player who was one and done (Jrue Holiday) so i guess these statistics would be in benefit to the One and Done rule. I just feel finding statistics for one and done players to two year-four year players so it is against the One and Done rule can potentially be tricky.
    You're going to have to put the level of player in there too. Comparing a blue chipper who came directly out of high school versus someone like Cole Aldrich isn't really a fair comparison, but it looks like you're on the right track.

  9. #9
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsingh93 View Post
    I have a paper to do for my English Finals and my topic is the one and done rule. Can anyone help me with some pros and cons on the topic? I've kind of ran into a brick wall on what i want to talk about. Thanks!
    Not looking good so far

    You might look to contrast it to Baseball's rule where you either come out immediately or you have to stay in college 3 years. That seems to be the best of both worlds to me. Guys that are obviously ready like LeBron can come out and everyone else has enough game tape to reduce the amount of busts. On top of that you strengthen college Basketball which means many these guys will come into the league with an established brand to help team marketing.

  10. #10
    ...we get to go McDonalds
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,402
    There's been alot of talk lately about players going bankrupt (ESPN even just did a 30 for 30 documentary on it). An interesting study, IMO, would be the % likelihood of being bankrupt if you never set foot on a college campus vs. one and done vs. 4 year graduate.

    Many ways to slice this up, but there have to be figures that set out to prove that the longer you stay in college, the better it is not only for the league, but the better for the players once they have retired.

    * 60% of NBA players go bankrupt only 5 years after retiring.

    http://articles.businessinsider.com/...te-challenge-2

  11. #11
    All-Star Ball Boy Nsingh93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    311

    Doing a paper on NBA's "One and Done" rule. HELP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    There's been alot of talk lately about players going bankrupt (ESPN even just did a 30 for 30 documentary on it). An interesting study, IMO, would be the % likelihood of being bankrupt if you never set foot on a college campus vs. one and done vs. 4 year graduate.

    Many ways to slice this up, but there have to be figures that set out to prove that the longer you stay in college, the better it is not only for the league, but the better for the players once they have retired.

    * 60% of NBA players go bankrupt only 5 years after retiring.

    http://articles.businessinsider.com/...te-challenge-2
    I wanted to cover that but it completely slipped my mind! Thanks!

  12. #12
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    pro for ownership of having the rule in place is they get a better look at their investments. (big)

    con for ownership of having the rule in place is they get less out of the top prospects in the long run. (small)
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  13. #13
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,620
    You could talk about how the rule has not had a true effect on the players except to force them to wait an extra year before they can start making money for their families.

    There is no direct correlation between athletic performance and financial responsibility in respect to the level of education one receives.

    The two most successful players both on the court and financially, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, both did not go to college. Had the one and done rule been implemented when they were in high school, would that extra year make them even more successful? Highly unlikely. What is a guarantee though is that these players would have had to wait an additional year until they have the opportunity to make money. Additionally, what if they get hurt in college? If a player that were to leave after high school is forced to go to college for a year and then gets hurt in college, he is going to lose money. The NBA's attempt to bring a "better" image has now hurt someone's financial situation. This could have been prevented easily, and only ends up hurting the player. It's a battle between the players' interests and the interest of the NBA.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    There's been alot of talk lately about players going bankrupt (ESPN even just did a 30 for 30 documentary on it). An interesting study, IMO, would be the % likelihood of being bankrupt if you never set foot on a college campus vs. one and done vs. 4 year graduate.

    Many ways to slice this up, but there have to be figures that set out to prove that the longer you stay in college, the better it is not only for the league, but the better for the players once they have retired.

    * 60% of NBA players go bankrupt only 5 years after retiring.

    http://articles.businessinsider.com/...te-challenge-2
    Though all of this is true, I would not use this argument. You are essentially saying that part of the NBA's reasoning in instituting this rule is that they are looking out for the players well being even after they leave the game. If you do that, an opponent would eat you alive with dozens of examples that show that the NBA does not care about the players outside of what they can contribute to the league.
    @mcnamara247

  15. #15
    Exhibit C Nola3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    390
    So what you should have gotten from all these responses is that your paper should be at least 50 pages

  16. #16
    ...we get to go McDonalds
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Though all of this is true, I would not use this argument. You are essentially saying that part of the NBA's reasoning in instituting this rule is that they are looking out for the players well being even after they leave the game. If you do that, an opponent would eat you alive with dozens of examples that show that the NBA does not care about the players outside of what they can contribute to the league.
    Are you sure what's in my post is true? I haven't personally seen anything that proves it.

    Also, the opponent would be arguing that because the NBA doesn't care, that what's best for the players doesn't matter? If someone could prove that going to school is best for the NBA(with another study) + best for the players, then I'd think that's a pretty interesting argument. It may not be in the best interest of LeBron and Kobe, but if 95% of the bankrupt players were indeed straight to the NBA or 'one and done' players, then that's something the NBA should look at. And the NBA not caring about the players after they retire would be a way to argue that the NBA wants this rule in place for an alternate reason; that's not an argument against the study of the backgrounds of the bankrupt players.

    P.S. 95% of the bankrupt being one and done or no college at all wouldn't really prove that going to school is better. I just threw that in there because at the time I thought it would prove it, but you'd have to run the #s against add'l things to prove it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •