Pelicans Report

Thread: L.A. Clippers Press Conference

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar

L.A. Clippers Press Conference

Attachment 4447

PrepP : Welcome everyone. Thanks for coming. You all know me as PrepP, the Clippers GM, and today we are going to introduce our newest players to the organization and will take some of your questions afterwards. (questions can be aimed at GM or players)

We are very proud to be here today to introduce to you some of the new faces you will be seeing this year in Clipper's uniforms. We have also been very pleased with the growth of our young team under Head Coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. and last years team that made it to the playoffs was proof that things are looking up for our franchise and our fans. Last year was just the first step towards our bigger goal which is to bring a championship title to L.A.. We feel like we can contend with the young core we have along with the offseason additions we have added to our team. Free Agency is still underway and we are still looking at ways we can improve our depth and add veteran leadership. So with all of that said, Let's get to what you are all here for.

Without further ado, INTRODUCING.........................

The 2nd pick in the 2003 NBA draft , from Marquette University..........................

Dwayne Wade

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41E114FD64ADE44EA1D65E6D35D_h316_w628_m4_cchUJaIuY.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	4448

Wade: Thank you. Thank you. I'd just like to give a quick thanks to the Clippers organization for having so much confidence in me to succeed and giving me the chance to fulfill my dream of playing professional basketball. I would also like to thank my mom for all of her sacrifices and the good lord for all of our blessings. I'm happy to be apart of this organization and such a young, energetic team. I think we can make an impact in the Western Conference but it's going to take a team effort , but I think we have the right coach and personnel to make it happen here. Thanks again.

Please welcome your new starting Shooting guard..... acquired this offseason from the Warriors...........

Courtney Alexander

Name:	a-alexander063004.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	4449

Alexander : Thanks everyone. Today is a another new page for my career. After starting my career in Philly then signing with the Warriors last year..................Let's just say, hopefully the third time is a charm. The next goal for my career is to help a team contend for a title and I feel like this organization is on the right track. I haven't gotten on the floor yet with this group but I can tell we have a lot of talent and a great bunch of guys here. Coach Dunleavy and Prep has made it clear the direction they want to go in and that I'm part of that progression. I'm just really looking forward to contributing in any way I can and bring my past experience to help this team succeed.

And now.............Already a Fan favorite..........from the University of Kansas.............

Nick Collison

Name:	new_york_june_25_nick_collison_poses_for_a_2_poster-r6c6e521bedbf4920840a90c2bd778592_f8cwr_400.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	4450

Collison : Thank you. I typically shy away from attention so please don't take that the wrong way. First, let me say thanks to everyone. The Clippers org, My family, University of Kansas, God, and whoever I may have left out. I'm very excited and blessed to be here playing in the NBA. But now that I've made it, I have bigger goals to obtain. I've worked hard my whole life to make it to this point and that's the type of player I'm going to be for this team. A hard working, hustle, do anything type of guy. Any minutes I get, I will give 110% and leave it all out on the court. I'm excited at the opportunity to add to my game and learn from guys like Zack Randolph and Othella Harrington. So thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here.

and Last but not least............from the University of Miami.................

Darius Rice

Name:	cover0506_dariusrice.051003.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	4451

Rice : WOW!!! So happy to be here. Thank you so much. This is such a great day for me. I'd like to thank the Clippers organization and the good lord above for providing me this opportunity. Coming from a small town in Mississippi it is such a blessing to be able to see my name on the back of that jersey and have a sense of accomplishment. I've grown up watching my uncle Jerry Rice excel at the professional level in sports and that has driven me to work hard for my dreams. I appreciate the chance to play for such a great organization and team. Now it's time to get in the gym and get ready for the season. Can't let my family in Mississippi down!

PrepP : Well, there you have it. The newest additions to your 2003-04 L.A. Clippers. We have high hopes for these young men. We couldn't ask for a better group of professionals. They understand where we are as an organization and what we expect from them individually and as a whole. Coach Dunleavy and I will give them the tools they need to succeed, but it is up to them to fulfill their end of the bargain. Thanks again for being here.

Now I'll open up the floor for questions.
    Last edited by PrepP; 11-28-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Do you really think Mike Dunleavy Sr. can handle such a talented roster? Have you looked to hire a high profile coach who will gain the respect of your team?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

With the depth at SG, will D-Wade play the point? If so, what happens with Jay Williams and can he improve significantly from his rookie season?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Dwyane, what do you hope to accomplish in your rookie season?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Do you really think Mike Dunleavy Sr. can handle such a talented roster? Have you looked to hire a high profile coach who will gain the respect of your team?
    PrepP : Thanks for your question. We are happy with last years success after the hiring of Coach Dunleavy and his staff. Though we have made it clear that our goals as an organization is to be the best and all parties will be held to that standard. In other words, if we feel like coaches, or players for that matter, aren't on the same page or aren't doing their part to reach that goal......then we will look to make changes. I will follow that up and say that right now we are pleased with Coach Dunleavy and his staff. This is a pivotal year for us and we will look over any changes we may need to make if things don't go as planned. But as of right now Coach Dunleavy is at the helms.
    Last edited by PrepP; 11-28-2012 at 03:42 PM.

With the depth at SG, will D-Wade play the point? If so, what happens with Jay Williams and can he improve significantly from his rookie season?
    PrepP : Last year we were very excited to be able to draft a guy like Jay Williams to our team. We have very high hopes for this kid. But we have to be realistic here. It is very rare for a player to come in and make a huge impact in this league in his first year. We made a commitment to Jay when we traded away Steve Nash last year and we still think he is going to be a stud PG in a few years. By drafting Dwayne Wade it gives us alot of leeway at the PG position. Dwayne will start for us at the PG position and get time with some of the more experienced players who may cover up for his growing pains this rookie year. Jay will run the second group off the bench and should continue to improve his overall play while making our bench more efficient. We could make a change at any point during the season and will try different lineups to see what works best. But right now, we like having Dwayne learn the PG position with the starting group. He will also see some time at SG.
    And you know me, there could be some roster moves made at any time during the season if we feel like we are upgrading overall.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Dwyane, what do you hope to accomplish in your rookie season?
    Wade : Uh ..... Well...... I plan on just going out there and doing what's asked of me. I understand that the transition from college to the NBA is a big one, especially when learning a new position. Coach has said he has full confidence in me playing PG and sees me as more of a combo guard, but most of my minutes will be at PG for now. We have a lot of talented guards on this team so I am just happy that I will get this much playing time in my rookie year. I think Jay Williams and I will keep each other motivated and help each other grow as players.He will be nipping at my heels for that starting spot and he's a very talented player. I have my work cut out for me. But it is also a lot of pressure on me. I'm not gonna back down from it though. I think it will make me a better player in the long run.
    As far as individual goals go, I think we have enough talent on this team that I don't have to try to do to much. Just try to keep my mistakes to a minimum and contribute where I can. Being the second pick in the draft , that puts a lot of pressure on a player to succeed early in your career. I'm not concerned with individual awards necessarily, but I think making the rookie all star team is a realistic goal. Also making first rookie team would be nice. You never know tho, I have high expectations for myself, so if I can get in the gym and get a feel for this team, Rookie of the year might be within reach.
    As far as team goals go, I see us back in the playoffs this year hopefully as a higher seed. If things go our way and we get in our groove, I think we can get out of the first round and make a deep run. We will see. Can't wait for that post season experience myself. That's what we are here for.
    Last edited by PrepP; 11-28-2012 at 04:01 PM.

GM PrepP, What is your team goal for the season? Are you already thinking championship? Who do you think is your stiffest competition in the West right now?
    Twitter: @TheRealPaulyP
    PR Sim League (2006-07 Season)

Quote Originally Posted by PP3istheMVP View Post
    GM PrepP, What is your team goal for the season? Are you already thinking championship? Who do you think is your stiffest competition in the West right now?
    PrepP : Great question. And the answer is Yes. We feel like with the roster we have built we can contend with the best teams in the league but this season will tell us a lot. Now, we also understand that is a bold statement to make so early, but we are confident in our players ability. If tweaks need to be made to push us over the top , I will make every attempt to do so.
    The western conference is very tough. We will be tested every night from western and eastern conference teams. Part of becoming a contending team is learning to compete night in and night out. Which could prove to be difficult for such a young team like ours. But our guys are up to the task.
    I think you will see the Lakers, even after the partial rebuild, push us for a top seed. Then you have teams like the Trail Blazers who put us out of the playoffs early last year.The Grizzlies have always been a tough opponent too. Then you have multiple teams that are only a move or two away from becoming a solid team that can compete with the best. Our players have to bring their best game every night and not take any days off if they want to be at the top. We will see how they respond.

TJ Simers of the LA Times: If the Clippers do not get out of the 1st round, will you fire Mike Dunleavy?

TJ Simers of the LA Times: If the Clippers do not get out of the 1st round, will you fire Mike Dunleavy?
    PrepP : Well thanks for putting me on the spot here TJ. I'll put it this way ....... We have high expectations for this team. I won't say that it would be a definite firing, but it would be a big disappointment if we didn't improve from last year. It would depend on the circumstances, but we would have to make that decision when the time comes. Coach Dunleavy has our utmost respect, but we will evaluate everyone if our expectations aren't met.

TJ Simers again. With the Lakers trading away Shaq, no NFL teams, baseball becoming irrelevant. Are the Clippers LA's team now? And why not? Come on, I wanna hear you say it.

TJ Simers again. With the Lakers trading away Shaq, no NFL teams, baseball becoming irrelevant. Are the Clippers LA's team now? And why not? Come on, I wanna hear you say it.
    PrepP : Really? Who is this guy? Ok TJ, I'll put it like this, We are not going to take the Lakers lightly at all. There have been some great games between our teams in the past and I personally think it is one of the best rivalries in professional sports today. Two Teams, One City and both teams want to be the first to bring the title to L.A.. Even tho the Lakers lost a dominant player in Shaq, they look like a younger, more balanced team overall now. But we feel like we have made great strides and are ready to compete with the best in the league. We will see if our staff's hard work will pay off or if more changes will need to be made. I still think the Lakers will be a playoff team and we could possibly meet them for the first time in a playoff series this year. I've built a relationship with the Lakers GM the past few years and I won't speak for him, but I think it's a rivalry that will go on for years come and that's a good thing for our league.

Twitter Update
    @PrepPClipsGM Happy to announce the signings of Shawn Kemp and Eddie House. Both will be very valuable off the bench for us this season and could see a bigger role if injuries occur

Twitter Update
    @PrepPClipsGM BREAKING NEWS! Clippers swap Q Rich for LJ. Nice fit for both players. No hassle trade. Clippers like LJ's toughness and rebounding. Expect to see increase in senior citizens at the games.

Thread Information