Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cody Zeller

Cody Zeller

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I was referring to shabazz playing SF for them
    Ah I was under the influence that Bazz was a SG. My apologies.

Steven adams or bust!

I like Zeller and think he'll be a good pro despite a relatively down beginning of the season, but his limitations (good but not freak athlete, extremely short arms for height, below average rebounding for position) will have worse players picked above him. If we end up in that 7-9 position and he happens to be around, I think he could be a nice complement and one of the better values in this draft.
    Last edited by Biasvasospasm; 11-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.

I don't really want a SF/PF tweener like McAdoo or Poythres. They never really pan out in the NBA, and always end up being undersized PFs that don't shoot the ball particularly well. Would much rather draft BPA that isn't a tweener.

Psh, give me Shabazz, Noels or Zeller and I wont be mad
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

PF/SF tweeners are rarely successfull in the NBA and are more often than not the players the end up being busts in the NBA, even the ones who are successfull I'm not particularly fans of... Ie) Jeff Green, Josh Smith, Morris twins

Other than height, there's nothing about Poythress that screams tweener to me. He looks and plays like a face up 4. A lot of tweeners go into the NBA tend to float out of the post and take poor shots due to this problem. And the biggest problem for this guys is the lack of physicality and if you watch Poythress, he loves the post and plays like he belongs there. He is a physical 240 pound kid who has great touch around the basket. Kid is going to easily be 250 pounds in the league.

Latest Walterfootball NBA mock has Zeller going to us at 5. Interestingly in this scenario, we would choose him over McAdoo who is picked next at 6. Do you guys think that would be the right call?

http://walterfootball.com/nbadraft2013mock.php

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Shoot, we aren't even in December yet. There's still a lot to see from these players. At this point last year, Andre Drummond was the #1 pick for pretty much everyone while Jared Sullinger was top 5.

Cody Zeller

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Shoot, we aren't even in December yet. There's still a lot to see from these players. At this point last year, Andre Drummond was the #1 pick for pretty much everyone while Jared Sullinger was top 5.
    March Madness also helps their draft stock. So way to early to determine who goes where.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Latest Walterfootball NBA mock has Zeller going to us at 5. Interestingly in this scenario, we would choose him over McAdoo who is picked next at 6. Do you guys think that would be the right call?

http://walterfootball.com/nbadraft2013mock.php
    Definitely would rather have Zeller over McAdoo. The three prospects I really like are Zeller, Smart, and Gorbert. If we land any of those three ill be ecstatic. Although, I wont complain if we land Bazz or Nerlens either.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    Definitely would rather have Zeller over McAdoo. The three prospects I really like are Zeller, Smart, and Gorbert. If we land any of those three ill be ecstatic. Although, I wont complain if we land Bazz or Nerlens either.
    I agree. While McAdoo fufills arguably a greater position of need, I think you would have to go BPA here. For the longest time, I envisioned Anderson-Davis as our future front court but I think this season has exhibted that Anderson can excel either way (starter or 6th man). Taking Zeller would also save us $5m we would otherwise have to commit to Lopez. I can dig it despite the fact that Zeller will never be a franchise changer.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    I agree. While McAdoo fufills arguably a greater position of need, I think you would have to go BPA here. For the longest time, I envisioned Anderson-Davis as our future front court but I think this season has exhibted that Anderson can excel either way (starter or 6th man). Taking Zeller would also save us $5m we would otherwise have to commit to Lopez. I can dig it despite the fact that Zeller will never be a franchise changer.
    I'm not sold on McAdoo playing SF in the NBA. Zeller is the safer pick and is the better player, IMO. I don't think Zeller will be a franchise player either but I think he would be a great compliment to AD. With a four man rotation of AD, Zeller, Anderson, and J Smith I think we would have the best front court in the league for years to come.

Not many players are franchise players but are extremely useful, look at people like Zachary Randolph who is a beast, Zeller has an insane post game, rebounder, and blocks crazy shots and runs the floor, he and Davis compliment so perfectly it's actually scary, plus we have 2 franchise players w Gordon and Davis. Anyways a future of Gordon, Davis, Zeller, and Rivers is extremely bright

I also really like Marcus Smart. The dude dominated Lorenzo Brown the other day going for 20 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals, and 4 blocks. He plays good offense and defense. He held Brown to 6 points, 1 assist, and 7 turnovers. I think this kid is the real deal and no question the best PG in the draft. Him and Gordon would make a great back court on both ends of the court. Rivers could be the 6th man subbing in for both positions. That would make Vasquez expendable, so we could trade him for another piece (hopefully a SF) while his value is very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    I also really like Marcus Smart. The dude dominated Lorenzo Brown the other day going for 20 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals, and 4 blocks. He plays good offense and defense. He held Brown to 6 points, 1 assist, and 7 turnovers. I think this kid is the real deal and no question the best PG in the draft. Him and Gordon would make a great back court on both ends of the court. Rivers could be the 6th man subbing in for both positions. That would make Vasquez expendable, so we could trade him for another piece (hopefully a SF) while his value is very high.
    There are quite a few PGs that looks very promising this year. Smart looks to be the class but guys like McCollum and Burke makes this draft competent for PGs. What we do in the draft will say a lot about Vasquez and Rivers.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I think Alex Len is a very good prospect. I don't think he's being talked about enough.

7'1 with a good wingspan, good mobility, and has been able to add some weight already (supposedly he's put on 30lbs). He'll have good NBA size all around and is fairly athletic for a big man. Great shotblocking skills, good rebounder, has some nice post moves, and looks to be improving as a shooter. Draftexpress thinks he's the Ukraine Jonas Valanciunas and is a "BIG time prospect."

I know we need a perimeter player more, but I also go with talent > need and worry about the fit later. Len will be interesting to follow this year. He's only 19 and has shown a good amount.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Funny to go back and read this thread...

FWIW... I think Zeller is definitely the pick if he's there at 6. I think Dell brought in McLemore and went up to see Oladipo because of rumors Phoenix or Charlotte could take Zeller.

Defenses can't play Zeller the same way they did this past season if another big, like Anthony Davis, is on court with him. How do you defend a Zeller/Davis lineup??

I wouldn't mind Zeller

Wow, funny to bring this back up and see all the ancient opinions lol

But, I still see Zeller as a nightmare scenario. Little upside for what could possibly be our last top 10 pick
    Jrue dat

I think Zeller will be a very productive player in this league, especially offensively. He will be a better version of Sullinger without the injury concerns and Sullinger was playing very well this season for Boston.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The thing about Zeller is that if you take the skills we know he has and then consider his weaknesses in the context of playing next to AD for the next 7 years, I think he would be a dream scenario! He's a legit 7'0" and 230, and like AD, is versatile enough to play PF or C. The mismatches they would present in the frontcourt of the modern NBA could be franchise altering.

And nab draft.net now has Zeller going 4th overall. So don't think 6 is a reach. To me he's more polished than Len and fits character wise with what we're trying to build.

Thread Information