Pelicans Report

Thread: Rivers highlights vs Clippers?

Rivers highlights vs Clippers?

If anyone could make them I would really appreciate it, first game i missed all year and I heard he looked good. 14pt 6ast and 3-4 from 3, nice.

I got you.

I like basketball

Twitter: @jsgrayson

Wow I love the drive and dish. He is gonna make a pg after all

He's making the transition from Hero Baller to pass first PG just fine.

Yeah I definitely like what I saw here. His first step and dribble is impressive. Like others said, it's too early to get excited, but I'm glad to see him improving, especially while displaying a PG skillset.

There's was one play where rivers was in Isolation at the top of the key with Griffin, he was moving the ball so fast and with a head fake I was almost sure Blake would've broken his ankles...

You can see that he still falls down too much on simple layups or drive and kicks. That only tells me that if he can make his body chiseled like say in a D-Rose mold it's going to take his game to the next level.

He can already get into the lane at will. He's just too weak right now to finish.

Yeah he needs to learn how to finish, but I'm definite seeing a lack of explosiveness from him. While I think he could become a descent pro, his ceiling isn't all that high...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Yeah he needs to learn how to finish, but I'm definite seeing a lack of explosiveness from him. While I think he could become a descent pro, his ceiling isn't all that high...
    So when do you need explosiveness to be a good player go look at Tony Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets_fan_504 View Post
    So when do you need explosiveness to be a good player go look at Tony Parker
    Tony Parker is probably one of the fastest player in the league. I compare Rivers to Curry in terms of speed and quickness.

rivers quickness kinda reminds me of a mixture of allen iverson and OJ mayo

All i wana know is when my son gona dunk
    Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post

Austin Rivers? Not explosive? What!?! The guy has one of the quickest first steps in the whole NBA. He had a 38 inch vertical at the combine. What more do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post

Austin Rivers? Not explosive? What!?! The guy has one of the quickest first steps in the whole NBA. He had a 38 inch vertical at the combine. What more do you want?
    An elite first step doesn't make you explosive. Even with his elite first step, you rarely ever see him get to the rim before NBA bigs get into position. That's why 90% of his dribble drive ends up in direct contact. He also isn't quick of the ground either. When he jumps off the ground with 1 foot, he doesn't have much elevation. He gets most of his elevation when he stops on a dime and jump with both foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    An elite first step doesn't make you explosive. Even with his elite first step, you rarely ever see him get to the rim before NBA bigs get into position. That's why 90% of his dribble drive ends up in direct contact. He also isn't quick of the ground either. When he jumps off the ground with 1 foot, he doesn't have much elevation. He gets most of his elevation when he stops on a dime and jump with both foot.
    It completely depends on your definition of explosive. For me, I want a PG who is explosive off the dribble, not one who is trying to dunk all over people.

He's quick off the dribble, but not too explosive going to the rack. I don't see alot of elevation either when he attacks rim. That's one of the reasons he's better suited for the PG role instead of SG.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's not explosive off the ground. Pretty sure anyone can see and acknowledge that. But I still remember somebody saying he's not athletic at all.

If you don't throw down on people's heads you aren't athletic. It's the Blake Griffin NBA rule.

I think he has a chance to be a Manu, Harden type 6th man for us and a perennial 6th man of the year contender. He can be backup both the 1 and the 2 and I think in 2 years he can average 15-6-4 off the bench which would be huge for us.

If we play this draft and this up coming FA right and plug in the correct starters there is a chance we can have a great starting lineup, one of the most talented in the entire NBA to go along with a bench that features Greives Vasquez, Austin Rivers, Jason Smith and Ryan Andersen!!! Draft Poythress or Poter, sign Jeff Teague, sign Nokola Pekovic.

Jeff Teague/Greives Vasquez
    Eric Gordon/Austin Rivers/Roger Mason Jr.
    Otto Porter/Al Farouq Aminu/Darius Miller
    Antony Davis/Ryan Anderson
    Nikola Pekovic/Jason Smith/Robin Lopez

1,2,4,5 postions are just loaded and the 3 position has 3 solid, young developing players. Its crazy to think just how good this team can be based on our position right now in terms of the assets we have to go along with the flexibility we have going into FA.
    Last edited by hornetstime247; 11-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.

He was described as a long jumper more than a high jumper. He's quick off and with the ball in his hands. He should get more explosive if he puts some time in the weight room. I remember that he only did 1 repetition at bench press. He's going to get more athletic but he won't be D-Rose.

Curry is a good comparison to me. He may already be better in penetration than Curry.
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Just needs to finish better. Develop his left hand because he has a great R->L crossover. Even with the right from the left side, should make more than he does because he's getting good looks there.

Thread Information