Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What type of deal would you feel comfortable with giving to Aminu?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

What type of deal would you feel comfortable with giving to Aminu?

I was thinking about writing a "state of the team" piece or something like that, but more thought I put into it more I realized the state of the team is pretty obvious. The guys that are safe are safe and the guys that aren't just aren't.

Save for one guy, Al-Farouq Aminu. As we all know we declined his option and he'll be able to test the market after the season. So I ask, what type of deal would you feel comfortable with? Personally 3-4 million a season over say three years is fine with me. So 3 years 12 million?

Thabo Sefolosha was at about the same point in his career when the Thunder extended him. He got 4 years/14 million. More recently, Milwaukee gave Luc Mbah a Moutie a 4 year/18.7 million dollar contract that started higher and declines every year. I think Aminu is at about the same point as these guys were, so I would be fine with 4 years between 14 and 18 million. I especially like what the Bucks did with Mbah a Moute's deal, and would like something similar where Aminu's contract declines each year so that it is small when it is time to pay Davis and re-sign Anderson.
    @mcnamara247

Honestly, I don't know yet. He had a really strong start and is starting to slow down a bit. Let's see how he does for the rest of the year first. Consistency is still a bit of an issue for him. If there is one thing that's consist about his game, it's his rebounding. He just needs to do a better job on defense. But I'd be hesitant to offer him a 4mil per year contract right now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I'm sorry. I like the guy. He plays hard. But he can't dribble and he can't shoot. If we are building this team right, the deal we give him is a plane ticket, IMO. Would love to deal him at the deadline if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I'm sorry. I like the guy. He plays hard. But he can't dribble and he can't shoot. If we are building this team right, the deal we give him is a plane ticket, IMO. Would love to deal him at the deadline if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    It's still Monday. Plenty of days to work on my one liners.

4 years/ $12 million would be what I would be willing to give him before letting him test the FA waters. If he let us match an offer from another team (I know we don't have the right to match), I'd be willing to go up to 4 years/$16 million.

Re: What type of deal would you feel comfortable with giving to Aminu?

$12mm for 3 years or $15mm for 4 years are my limits. I say this as a big fan of his.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Would you rather have Chase Budinger or Aminu for the same price?

A lot depends on the market. There are 6-8 over paid veteran SFs with player options or who might get cut. If none of them hit the market then Aminu could possibly be looking at MLE money. If 5 or more hit the market he'll be lucky to get $2.5 million

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh Budinger i guess......
    What you lose in steals and rebounds with Aminu you make up with 3's from Budinger.
    I'd love Batum or Gay but that'll never happen.
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 11-26-2012 at 03:41 PM.

When building a team properly, you don' JUST want scorers, but also glue guys that can guard the oppositions best scorer, and add some efficient points when occasionally. I would be more than comfortable with Aminu being our 4th or 5th scorer as a starter.

He's also young. He probably won't, but he might become a better scorer in time. Then he would be a steal. Until then, let him score on fast breaks and alley-oops. Fine with me.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Great question. Each offers a specific skill the other lacks. So my answer- why not both? We have fantasized about Iggy, but why not split the money up and give Aminu and Budinger about 4 mil each per season. Two guys for half the price Iggy would cost. Budinger is fantastic as a corner three shooter- a staple in the Spurs offense that Monty wants to try and implement, while Aminu gives you a defender and a guy who can get out and run.

Budinger no doubt for me. He was 12th amongst SF's in PER before getting injured, 22nd last season. Shot over 40% from 3 last year, scoring more per game in almost ten minutes less per game this season.

I love Aminu's rebounding, I love his above the rim game that he has shown this year. I don't think he is an exceptional man to man defender, and we're playing 4 on 5 on offense. You can never have enough shooters IMO. Name of the game is put the ball in the basket.

The Franchise
    3-3.5 mill is my thought. I believe he is a backup and spot starter. I would invest 12-16 million for my first line backups. My ideal backups would be
    Vasquez - 3 mill
    Mason - 2
    Aminu - 3.0
    Smith - 2.5
    Lopez - 3.5

Which would give about 45 left for starters for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    When building a team properly, you don' JUST want scorers, but also glue guys that can guard the oppositions best scorer, and add some efficient points when occasionally. I would be more than comfortable with Aminu being our 4th or 5th scorer as a starter.

He's also young. He probably won't, but he might become a better scorer in time. Then he would be a steal. Until then, let him score on fast breaks and alley-oops. Fine with me.
    Trust me, I'm with you on that. I just don't feel Aminu is that. There is plenty of room for that veteran defender that plays great defense and hits a three from time to time. Even a Rasual Butler type gives you that. But I want a real basketball player with a high basketball IQ. I feel Aminu is always a turnover waiting to happen. And he does nothing to spread the floor. It's a true dead end on offense, and I don't think he's that guy you want on Durant, Lebron, Kobe, etc. A guy like Thabo, a guy like Tony Allen, I want the same thing you do I believe. I just don't think it's Aminu long term.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I think if we are building the team the right way, the right thing to do is to resign him to a good deal. There is something to be said for his defensive capablities, and we often talk about the pace and speed we play the game at. We have not done that well, but we have seen his ability to fill the lanes for dunks and such.

I'm not saying we have to give him a deal and make him our starter for the next decade, but if he keeps improving the way he has (you say he can't dribble and can't shoot, but he has still made strides in the way he plays without the ball offensively) he has value off the bench. Heck if this team develops the way we would like it to, he has value as a starter. Already this season we have seen a marked improvement in his perimeter defense.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 11-26-2012 at 04:07 PM.

I agree. I like Aminu on a cheap deal, and I think it's possible because he recognizes his limits. Let's be honest... He can't dribble, he can't shoot anything outside of a 5 foot runner, he makes stupid plays, and he hasn't had a full season of consistent production yet. That said, Aminu is an elite rebounder at the SF position, he is an elite athlete, and he can develop into an elite defender. I like him on the team, but I do wish he could hit an open 3 pointer.

Eventually, I think Miller takes over at the spot, because I think he will be a very good defender at this level, a more than solid rebounder, and an elite marksman who doesn't create much for himself (which is cool, since we have other guys on the team that demand attention for their scoring prowess). Him and Anderson would provide great spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I think if we are building the team the right way, the right thing to do is to resign him to a good deal. There is something to be said for his defensive capablities, and we often talk about the pace and speed we play the game at. We have not done that well, but we have seen his ability to fill the lanes for dunks and such.

I'm not saying we have to give him a deal and make him our starter for the next decade, but if he keeps improving the way he has (you say he can't dribble and can't shoot, but he has still made strides in the way he plays without the ball offensively) he has value off the bench. Heck if this team develops the way we would like it to, he has value as a starter. Already this season we have seen a marked improvement in his perimeter defense.
    I think with a good PG Aminu would be much better.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Aminu is a limited player and that makes him expendable if need be. I wouldn't give him more than 3.5M per year and that's pushing it.

If we draft an elite SF prospect next year, let Aminu walk. Miller is a more than capable backup imo, or at least will become that given more time and playing experience.

If we land an elite SG or C prospect next year, resign Aminu. As stated several times, I'm OK with Aminu being our 5th best starter. Like slim, I wish he could hit the open 3. Or at least have the capability of hitting a wide open mid range shot. I cringed when he air balled that baseline jumper against the Suns. But there is a chance he improves in that arena as well as his perimeter defensive skills with time and effort.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Aminu has shown growth in his game. I don't say this too often, but he's an NBA player I could see getting better. Last year I thought I saw his ceiling, but now, I'm not so definite. Sure, his ball handling is suspect as is his shot. He still looks like a undersized 4 trying to play 3 a lot of times. But he'll also flash offensive skills that I didn't see last year. His jumper--high and lofty--actually looks okay. He'll create his own shot in the open floor at times. I really think he's a guy you'll have to wait until the end of the season to peg. I understand why they didn't extend him, but I could see them wanting him back next year. These guys who come out so early these days, you have to be careful not to write them off prematurely. It can take a few years.

4 years 16 million is the most id give him... and i really doubt anyone would go higher.

What type of deal would you feel comfortable with giving to Aminu?

but also glue guys that can guard the oppositions best scorer, and add some efficient points when occasionally.
    if the oppositions best scorer is their SF, wouldn't it typically be Lebron, KD, Melo, Gay, Granger Iggy etc so their going to get their buckets regardless what Aminu does? Cause Aminu isn't quick enough to defend guards.

word. If our Coach could have made the call I believe we would have extended his deal. It's rare for raw talent to get the amount of playing time needed to develop. I think he's getting it and we will regret not picking up the option. He's better than ya boy from the Bucks. Budinger is more of a SG. I'd rather Aminu over Budinger any day. Our team needs guards desperately so right now Budinger may look pretty. But in the end Aminu can guard positions 2-4 and Davis can guard positions 3-5. You don't squander that type of defensive versatility when the plan is to sprinkle scorers like Anderson and Gordon in the mix.

I have to be honest - I thought he was Julian Wright part II but he's absolutely proved me wrong. IMO the easiest thing for a good athlete to improve on is defense so I'm very interested to see if Monty can get AFA to buckle down on the other end at some point.

At this point I feel AFA's worst case is a poor man's JR Smith type off-the-bench scorer. He'd be worth $3 Million a year in this role. I feel like his ceiling is a legitimate starting 3 if he improves his defense. His on court smarts have improved dramatically and I guess it's logical to credit his international play this offseason for that light going on in his head. If he becomes a legit starting 3 I think he'd be worth as much as $6 Million per season - but I doubt he'll get that from us unless we see him continue to improve all season long.

Thread Information