Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Davis To Miss One To Two Weeks...

Anthony Davis To Miss One To Two Weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I know that. But the point is, the FO didn't let on to what was really going on.
    Well we can only hope his situation isn't that serious. I will be sick if Davis has to get surgery, even if it's minor

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Well we can only hope his situation isn't that serious. I will be sick if Davis has to get surgery, even if it's minor
    I agree. I won't jump to any conclusions about his injury though if he misses 1 more week.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Please come back AD and end this madness!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Well we already know our training staff kinda sucks, so only thing I hope for is Davis don't turn into an injury prone player like Gordon.

Anyways I don't think his injury is that bad to miss more than 2 weeks, we are just playing it extra safe.

Let's take a knee, krewe.

Let's just agree that "2 weeks" is a polite way to not answer a question. This keeps the casual fan from abandoning the team for the season while keeping the diehard (you all) hungry for news.

Quit taking the words literally. They are not there to clearly transfer information accurately and effectively (informative mode of communication), they are there to promote certain actions and reactions (persuasive mode of communication). Mistaking the one for the other brings me joy (entertaining mode of communication), but it causes distraction among us all.

Please, just watch what they do and educate yourselves if you truly care. Trust that the team is doing what is best for itself until you know otherwise, and view all with skepticism.

Then, just enjoy what's in front of us since we aren't going to be the best or the worst team this season.

Break!

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Let's take a knee, krewe.

Let's just agree that "2 weeks" is a polite way to not answer a question. This keeps the casual fan from abandoning the team for the season while keeping the diehard (you all) hungry for news.

Quit taking the words literally. They are not there to clearly transfer information accurately and effectively (informative mode of communication), they are there to promote certain actions and reactions (persuasive mode of communication). Mistaking the one for the other brings me joy (entertaining mode of communication), but it causes distraction among us all.

Please, just watch what they do and educate yourselves if you truly care. Trust that the team is doing what is best for itself until you know otherwise, and view all with skepticism.

Then, just enjoy what's in front of us since we aren't going to be the best or the worst team this season.

Break!
    There is a word for all you just described. It's called "indefinitely". It's been used before so no harm in using it again. The diehards will be here. The casual fans are all about football or something else right now, so it makes no sense to try and string them along. They aren't here now in the first place.

They chose 1 - 2 weeks because I believe they honestly did not know the extent and wanted to be careful. They deemed 1 -2 weeks as careful enough at the time and I predict he'll play at some point during the homestand.

That said, they must get a handle on how they handle injury situations. Forget the casual fans, they'll start losing die hards if they make gross miscalculations... as in if Davis doesn't come back until January. No one wants to stand behind people who seem inept. Not diehards and most certainly no chance at the casuals.

GerrityJoe I'd say there's 99.992% chance he plays. RT @riverbenddog: Davis going to sit out the season? Asked medical staff but they just shrugged.
    I don't understand Twitter speech. So did the medical staff just shrug because they thought it was a ridiculous assumption? I don't get why us fans can never be in the know. It's not like one of those "should be none of your business" deals. I'm making the Grizzlies my last game of 2012 until I get some understanding of wth is going on with this team. I'm confident in Davis playing again this season, but no update on Gordon or information on wth is wrong with him. So frustrating.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I've got two free tickets Monday, then going Friday.

Not wasting another penny on this team until 10 or 23 get bac k after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceedee M View Post
    I don't understand Twitter speech. So did the medical staff just shrug because they thought it was a ridiculous assumption? I don't get why us fans can never be in the know. It's not like one of those "should be none of your business" deals. I'm making the Grizzlies my last game of 2012 until I get some understanding of wth is going on with this team. I'm confident in Davis playing again this season, but no update on Gordon or information on wth is wrong with him. So frustrating.
    I don't think team medical staffs answer questions from fans on players.

Jim Eichenhofer ‏@Jim_Eichenhofer
    @Mat_Beezy Nothing set in stone right now for either. Monty said he hoped to see Davis be available sometime in the next week, but TBD

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    There is a word for all you just described. It's called "indefinitely". It's been used before so no harm in using it again. The diehards will be here. The casual fans are all about football or something else right now, so it makes no sense to try and string them along. They aren't here now in the first place.

They chose 1 - 2 weeks because I believe they honestly did not know the extent and wanted to be careful. They deemed 1 -2 weeks as careful enough at the time and I predict he'll play at some point during the homestand.

That said, they must get a handle on how they handle injury situations. Forget the casual fans, they'll start losing die hards if they make gross miscalculations... as in if Davis doesn't come back until January. No one wants to stand behind people who seem inept. Not diehards and most certainly no chance at the casuals.
    You are clearly hopelessly clinging to this idea of their need ti present accurate, rather than persuasive, information.

I hope that works out better in the future than it has up to tgis point.

You are clearly hopelessly clinging to this idea of their need ti present accurate, rather than persuasive, information.

I hope that works out better in the future than it has up to tgis point.
    Persuasive of what? Casual fans won't show up until the big tickets are on the court and Ws start to mount, so it makes no difference to them. That leaves the regular fans to deal with this, as you put it "persuasion", and it has only created resentment. Mounting resentment with each passing day. Is this what they want? I think not.

There is no point is "persuading" fans that a player will be out 2 weeks when you KNOW they might be out 6. As a regular die hard fan, I expect him back sometime next week. If they come out and say it'll be another 2 to 4 weeks, they can kiss my **** goodbye for a good while. That only indicates to me this organization is being run by a team of untrained marmosets.

There is no point in "persuasion" and I don't think that is their intention.

I also think you don't think that.

What's the benefit to `them' of telling `us' the unvarnished truth?

Monty estimated today Anthony Davis is "at least a week away from us even thinking about ramping up his conditioning, let alone playing."

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Monty estimated today Anthony Davis is "at least a week away from us even thinking about ramping up his conditioning, let alone playing."
    with our luck, he will be injury prone

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    lol

if i understand correctly from previous statements made by the eg and the hornets organization...gordon and davis should be bk on the court playing together by next week

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I want our medical team replaced. This is a joke.

I'm tired of being told one thing and another happening.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    December is officially written off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I want our medical team replaced. This is a joke.

I'm tired of being told one thing and another happening.
    The recovery time for something like this is typically 8 - 16 weeks, depending, as people here were told at least a week ago.

stress reaction of the malleolus. look it up. blame the pr, not the medical staff. so far, this is on track.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    The recovery time for something like this is typically 8 - 16 weeks, depending, as people here were told at least a week ago.

stress reaction of the malleolus. look it up. blame the pr, not the medical staff. so far, this is on track.
    I read what you wrote for 247, I just figured that what Davis had might have been much less severe to cause the 1-2 week projection.

If this is on track to what the Hornets' medical staff said and the PR team is telling us something completely different, then I feel they need to be fired immediately. This has happened way too much over the past 2 seasons and it's completely frustrating as a fan.

I also think you don't think that.

What's the benefit to `them' of telling `us' the unvarnished truth?
    Its called being responsible to the consumers and leads to less resentment in the long run. It doesn't benefit to hide the truth either because there version of the truth will be exposed eventually which it has been especially in the Gordon situation. A lot less people are giving him and the team the benefit of the doubt compared to last year. If Davis has a serious injury, they should be honest about it instead of trying to hope that fans will attend a crap product on the court.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I read what you wrote for 247, I just figured that what Davis had might have been much less severe to cause the 1-2 week projection.

If this is on track to what the Hornets' medical staff said and the PR team is telling us something completely different, then I feel they need to be fired immediately. This has happened way too much over the past 2 seasons and it's completely frustrating as a fan.
    No.

They are doing their jobs well.

If you were told Davis will be out for 8 - 16 weeks, what will you do? A generic you would ignore the team for 8 weeks then maybe forget to check in again.

If it's day-to-day, then just a week or two (not two! maybe just one!), then you look around voraciously for that good news. Already we've got something to take us through week 3 to get us to week 4 . . . will he increase his conditioning?

See? See how the message is effective for the team's goals, none of which include letting you spend your time in a way that is best for you.

You have to take what they say and what else is out there in the world and cobble together a few realistic larger possible truths, then go from there.

People forget that this team is a business, and the business has just a little to do with basketball. It's more about entertainment, and controversy is some of the most entertaining stuff there is.

ETA: You figured or you hoped? Hoped, right?
    Last edited by 42; 12-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Its called being responsible to the consumers and leads to less resentment in the long run. It doesn't benefit to hide the truth either because there version of the truth will be exposed eventually which it has been especially in the Gordon situation. A lot less people are giving him and the team the benefit of the doubt compared to last year. If Davis has a serious injury, they should be honest about it instead of trying to hope that fans will attend a crap product on the court.
    Really? Apparently you haven't paid attention to this business and what their consumers eat up like like chocolate covered boobs.

You theory explains what does not happen time and time again. My theory explains what happens time and time again. Which do you think is correct?

By the way, you are still reading, still following them like hungry lost puppy, and still no more aware of what the `game' is than you were when the Gordon situation started.

Really? Apparently you haven't paid attention to this business and what their consumers eat up like like chocolate covered boobs.

You theory explains what does not happen time and time again. My theory explains what happens time and time again. Which do you think is correct?

By the way, you are still reading, still following them like hungry lost puppy, and still no more aware of what the `game' is than you were when the Gordon situation started.
    Honestly, I'm not following the situation at all because I don't care too at this point. Anytime I read 1-2 weeks or 4-6 weeks or anything else, I just roll my eyes.

I know teams aren't honest with their fans, but this particular organization doesn't have much margin of error.

It is clear that you do not know what you are talking about, agreed, but thanks for validating the hypothesis.

They have tons or margins of error . . . you for instance, are still talking about them despite the big talk of alienating the fan base and rolling eyes, etc. You are not alone.

Thread Information