Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Gameday Thread: Hornets @ Nuggets

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    The Clippers are going to defeat us in the most sound manner possible.

CP3 might score 40 on Greivis.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    At this point, I'd rather him take 10 shots behind the arc vs driving to the basket and throwing up a prayer 6-7 times a game.
    Am I the only one that thought most were actually good looks? Yet he finds a way to finish some of the tougher looking shots

Great sports day in New Orleans today. Bravo boys!

I'm also interested to see if Gordon shows up for the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I'm also interested to see if Gordon shows up for the game...
    Good. You watch and report what you see.. I won't be touching FSNO tomorrow with a 50 ft. pole.

I posted this in another thread, but it applies here too:

I only watched the 2nd half, but Rivers looked great. I'm dead serious. Who gives a **** if he wasn't hitting his shots? He got fouled on half of his attempts, all were no-calls, complete BS by the refs. He was setting his teammates up great, playing great defense, leading the break, running the offense, etc... You people need to stop watching the box score and start watching the game.

Rivers had the ball in his hands much more tonight (Roberts played much more SG, Rivers PG), and it's no wonder he had his best game as a Hornet tonight. Guy is going to be an All Star PG one day, book it.

I only caught the last 10 minutes, but Rivers is a better passer than I thought. If we are going for the Tank (Davis out and Gordon out), Rivers should get the minutes at the point. At least he can get around a pick and roll and get passed the 3 point line...

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post

I only watched the 2nd half, but Rivers looked great. I'm dead serious. Who gives a **** if he wasn't hitting his shots? He got fouled on half of his attempts, all were no-calls, complete BS by the refs. He was setting his teammates up great, playing great defense, leading the break, running the offense, etc... You people need to stop watching the box score and start watching the game.

Rivers had the ball in his hands much more tonight (Roberts played much more SG, Rivers PG), and it's no wonder he had his best game as a Hornet tonight. Guy is going to be an All Star PG one day, book it.
    You always think like me
    Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    You always think like me
    Haha, yet I always say it first! Maybe you always think like me

Dude, you are in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    If there's an article mentioning 8 weeks minimum then I don't guess we should be expecting him on the court tonight. When players are listed as day-to-day, we usually don't hear anything until at least 2-3 hours prior to tip off anyway.

Also, Jason Smith is questionable.
    http://www.hornets247.com/2012/11/25/same-ol-situation/

Here's the AD part, to make sure I'm not being misquoted at any point (not you Hunny B, that's just the first ripple from the misquote):

Since Davis’ presence has the biggest effect on the team’s play of those that have played this season, let’s investigate this latest class of injuries. A stress reaction is like a stress fracture without a fracture (maybe); the most severe stress reactions result in a fracture. The cause of these is repetitive stress, and often follows dramatic increase in stress, such as a change in training regimen. The injury presents as acute localized pain during activity that increases even after the activity has stopped. The treatment is essentially rest, but it can be aided by a walking boot (the cool kids call this a pneumatic walker or cam walker, depending). These boots are clever little gadgets that can aid in a number of ways, starting with the redirection of forces away from the sole of the foot, aiding in healing of stress reactions. Strengthening the affected area can help prevent future injury. 8 weeks seems to a glass-half-full recovery period for typical sort of stress reaction in the ankle, with 16 weeks being the glass-half-empty counterpart. The extent and location of Davis’ injury and how well the treatment takes will determine if he can beat the 8 week `typical’.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Dude, you are in denial.
    I love how you are completely convinced that Rivers won't amount to anything after a mere eleven games.

Plain dumb. If you're too blind to see the flashes of brilliance Rivers has displayed in the past few games, I don't know to tell you.

Open your eyes.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Who gives a **** if he wasn't hitting his shots?
    Me

I don't really see Rivers being an All-Star except in a David West kind of way. Basically, a good third option that is not worth replacing unless you get a legit All-Star in return. He can be a high-level starter that will win us some games but nothing more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Dude, you are in denial.
    Nah, you just don't know much about basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Me
    You have to consider the situation. Rivers got hacked all game long, and they didn't call anything. He was blowing past his man all game though, and that is the most important thing. He just needs to get more comfortable with the bigger guys at the rim, and once he does, he'll start making all of those shots. He is doing everything you want him to do in order to get to the rim, but he just isn't finishing yet, and that will come with time. The guy should be a sophomore in college right now, but people forget that for some reason.

Me
    Once he bulks up and fills in his frame, those shots will start to go in more times than not. His consistent ability to create those shots should be encouraging in itself.

You have to consider the situation. Rivers got hacked all game long, and they didn't call anything. He was blowing past his man all game though, and that is the most important thing. He just needs to get more comfortable with the bigger guys at the rim, and once he does, he'll start making all of those shots. He is doing everything you want him to do in order to get to the rim, but he just isn't finishing yet, and that will come with time. The guy should be a sophomore in college right now, but people forget that for some reason.
    he needs to beable to this

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    I love how you are completely convinced that Rivers won't amount to anything after a mere eleven games.

Plain dumb. If you're too blind to see the flashes of brilliance Rivers has displayed in the past few games, I don't know to tell you.

Open your eyes.
    I'm amazed that after these same 11 games people think that this dude is a future all-star

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Rivers didn't get hacked anymore than the average NBA player does. Like you said, he lacks strength, so he can't take the contact. It's not like the refs tonight were just not blowing the whistle though; this happens every night. His percentages are horrid because he even struggles to finish even when there is not much contact, and when there is even the slightest of contact, he'll either lose the ball or throw up something horrible.

He also is really not that great at getting past his guy. The second half was mostly against scrubs, and he only did okay (by his standards he did great though). The thing is, he really is not that great of an athlete. He is pretty good, but if a defense decided to zone in on him, they would completely shut him out. And he really does not play well off the ball either because he is not a very good shooter right now and his release is not very quick.

Essentially, he needs to get much stronger, he needs to develop his floater more (he has been called for a charge on numerous occasion because he did not go with the floater), he needs to get a better shot, and he needs to become a little more crafty with the ball to make up for his lack of elite athleticism.

That doesn't even get into his defense which has been absolutely horrible and there is no denying that.

We are expecting him to improve on A LOT of different aspects of his game if we want him to ever be a starter on a championship team.

Right now he's producing at a level not even Hasheem Thabeet produced at. He is seriously producing negative results on the winshares and so far has -0.3 WS. That has to concern you.

I really hope he pulls it together, but I can't be optimistic based on what I have seen. Sorry.

I'm not going to get in a war of words but it is very presumptuous to think that I don't know basketball simply because I do not agree with your assertion that Rivers is playing well. I say, that based on what I'm watching, that you do not know much about bball. The Rivers love is based purely on fandom and not what's going on on the court. If you're going to use his age as an excuse, maybe he should have stayed in college to better prepare for this level.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 11-25-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Rivers didn't get hacked anymore than the average NBA player does. Like you said, he lacks strength, so he can't take the contact. It's not like the refs tonight were just not blowing the whistle though; this happens every night. His percentages are horrid because he even struggles to finish even when there is not much contact, and when there is even the slightest of contact, he'll either lose the ball or throw up something horrible.

He also is really not that great at getting past his guy. The second half was mostly against scrubs, and he only did okay (by his standards he did great though). The thing is, he really is not that great of an athlete. He is pretty good, but if a defense decided to zone in on him, they would completely shut him out. And he really does not play well off the ball either because he is not a very good shooter right now and his release is not very quick.

Essentially, he needs to get much stronger, he needs to develop his floater more (he has been called for a charge on numerous occasion because he did not go with the floater), he needs to get a better shot, and he needs to become a little more crafty with the ball to make up for his lack of elite athleticism.

That doesn't even get into his defense which has been absolutely horrible and there is no denying that.

We are expecting him to improve on A LOT of different aspects of his game if we want him to ever be a starter on a championship team.

Right now he's producing at a level not even Hasheem Thabeet produced at. He is seriously producing negative results on the winshares and so far has -0.3 WS. That has to concern you.

I really hope he pulls it together, but I can't be optimistic based on what I have seen. Sorry.
    Awesome post

Extreme overreaction is an understatement. Do you even remember when Demps told this fan base not to expect miracles in year 1? If you would kindly step off the ledge and think about it, Rivers is barely 20 years old. Demps drafted him as a project, and he has shown many flashes of what he can be on a consistent basis. Give it time before your spew this crap. 11 games, and you are crying like a baby! Stop! Demps warned you. It isn't his fault you didn't listen.

Furreal he need to be able to do this

Once AD and Mr Glass comes back, we'll be alright

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I've not many concerns about Rivers at this point. He'll be fine. He just needs time like Scarborough Fair after parsley, sage, and rosemary.

Thread Information