Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If you're Demps, whats your strategy now?

I think the plan of attack moving forward will be a major upgrade at Center. I love what Lopez brings for his contract, but I feel like we need more offensively from that position in order to be a truly elite team. Rivers and Miller showed me enough tonight to feel good about them moving forward as starters on this team.

Rivers played the most PG tonight he has all season, and it turned out to be his best game. The guy is just a pure creator with the ball in his hands, and I would bet my house that he develops into an All Star PG one day. Defense was fantastic tonight, he was getting his teammates, ran the offense, ran the break, got into the lane, etc... Great game from him.

Miller had a great game too. 7 points and 8 boards in 26 minutes as a rookie is pretty darn good to me. He is shooting the 3 at 43% so far this year, and he makes all the right plays. Very efficient player, very smart player, great frame for a SF, solid athleticism, and very solid defensively. I like him a lot moving forward. He won't be an All Star or anything, but the guy provides spacing, defense, 3-point shooting, rebounding, and he won't make bone-head plays. He is also a pretty good passer. Love his game - very solid all around player.

That said, I see us moving Lopez + our 1st round pick for a legit center. If we can get a guy who can hold his own in isolation in the post, this team will be great in 2-3 years. Guys I have my eye on are (in no particular order): Nikola Pekovic, DeMarcus Cousins, Al Jefferson, and Enes Kanter. Add one of them to this roster and a spark-off-the-bench guy like J.R. Smith, Nick Young, Leandro Barbosa, etc., and we have a legit championship calibre roster.

PG - Rivers, Vasquez, Roberts
    SG - Gordon, Smith/Young
    SF - Miller, Aminu
    PF - Davis, Anderson, Thomas
    C - Jefferson, J. Smith
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 11-25-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think the plan of attack moving forward will be a major upgrade at Center. I love what Lopez brings for his contract, but I feel like we need more offensively from that position in order to be a truly elite team. Rivers and Miller showed me enough tonight to feel good about them moving forward as starters on this team.

Rivers played the most PG tonight he has all season, and it turned out to be his best game. The guy is just a pure creator with the ball in his hands, and I would bet my house that he develops into an All Star PG one day. Defense was fantastic tonight, he was getting his teammates, ran the offense, ran the break, got into the lane, etc... Great game from him.

Miller had a great game too. 7 points and 8 boards in 26 minutes as a rookie is pretty darn good to me. He is shooting the 3 at 43% so far this year, and he makes all the right plays. Very efficient player, very smart player, great frame for a SF, solid athleticism, and very solid defensively. I like him a lot moving forward. He won't be an All Star or anything, but the guy provides spacing, defense, 3-point shooting, rebounding, and he won't make bone-head plays. He is also a pretty good passer. Love his game - very solid all around player.

That said, I see us moving Lopez + our 1st round pick for a legit center. If we can get a guy who can hold his own in isolation in the post, this team will be great in 2-3 years. Guys I have my eye on are (in no particular order): Nikola Pekovic, DeMarcus Cousins, Al Jefferson, and Enes Kanter. Add one of them to this roster and a spark-off-the-bench guy like J.R. Smith, Nick Young, Leandro Barbosa, etc., and we have a legit championship calibre roster.

PG - Rivers, Vasquez, Roberts
    SG - Gordon, Smith/Young
    SF - Miller, Ariza
    PF - Davis, Anderson, Thomas
    C - Jefferson, J. Smith
    The return of Trevor Ariza!!!

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    The return of Trevor Ariza!!!
    Hahaha, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I meant Aminu!

jefferson is a short-term fix that would hurt the future...davis will eventually be our center with anderson as our power forward

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    jefferson is a short-term fix that would hurt the future...davis will eventually be our center with anderson as our power forward
    The guy is only 27. He isn't a spring chicken, but he definitely has 5-7 years left, I would say. His game isn't based on athleticism, and those guys tend to last longer than guys whose game is based on athleticism.

Can't have a team full of 19 year old rookies. We need some more "young veterans," and while Jefferson isn't "young," he sure as hell isn't old.

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    I've gone back and forth on this and still agree with your line of thinking. I think our efforts would best be served in redirecting our focus on bolstering the formidability and depth of our 2s and 3s through the draft and FA. We need a backup 2 (in the JR Smith mold) to backup Gordon and a starting 3 (in the KLeonard mold). I'm sold on Miller as our backup 3 for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 11-25-2012 at 10:51 PM.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    need a point guard and a scoring swing....so how many times do you want to hear me say.." you need to be able to attack off the dribble"....advance off the dribble in the open floor.....ITS NO SECRET....very simple......POINT GUARD + SCORING SWING.....
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

I wait it out and then I gauge Vasquez, Smith, and Lopez's value at the trade deadline or in the offseason. If I could get quality in return, I am willing to move any of them. Would prefer picks. If Jordan Hill and Ramon Sessions could each get late 1st rounders at the deadline, could Vasquez or Lopez bring me back a pick in the late 20's? If so, I would take it.

Rivers is my long term point, but next summer I bring in Jose Calderon to run the offense and show Rivers the ropes. Something like 2 years/12 million. I take BPA in the draft, regardless of position, and I go hard after Josh Smith as my #1 target in free agency. Paul Milsap is #2 on my list, but I pass on Iggy because I think that will be a bad contract by year 3 or 4. Ideally, I end up with the following

Calderon/Rivers
    Gordon/ draft pick
    Josh Smith/Miller
    Anderson/draft pick
    Davis/Smith
    @mcnamara247

Humor is reason gone mad Savagetaint's Avatar
    This might be a little crazy and I am sure impossible, but here it goes:

Trade SG Eric Gordon, SF Al-Farouq Aminu, C Robin Lopez, & G Greivis Vasquez to the Golden State Warriors for SG Klay Thompson, SF Harrison Barnes, PG Charles Jenkins, SF Richard Jefferson, & C Andris Biedrins.

Why the Hornets do it:

They are looking at the lottery this year and possibly next. This will give them two more young shooters to add to the mix and give them potential long-term solutions on the wings. No one being traded, except Gordon, can realistically be looked at as a cornerstone piece. Biedrins and Jefferson would need to be taken in order to get the Warriors to even look at this deal.

Why the Warriors do it:

They get the best player in the deal in Gordon. Obviously health is an issue, but they didn’t seem to mind extending their own injury prone player in Steph Curry. They also save money as Lopez & Aminu can be gone after this season and Vasquez is on a cheap deal. It also gives them one of the most potent starting line-ups in the NBA with Curry, Gordon, Aminu, Lee, & Bogut.

I wold then swing Jefferson and a protected 1st rounder to Toronto for Jose Calderon. They get a 1st round pick for a disgruntled player and we would get the veteran point guard that can run the show.

PG - Jose Calderon
    SG - Klay Thompson
    SF - Harrison Barnes
    PF - Anthony Davis
    C - Ryan Anderson

Sorry for the long post, but I need to get this pipe dream off of my chest.
    Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

No way they give us Klay :o

Even if you remove Klay from them package, Warriors wouldn't say yes.

It is time to accept the fact that Gordon has negative trade value- there is no way around it. At this point, we would have to give up an asset to have a team take him off our hands. Best case scenario in my opinion is Indy gives us Granger for him and we don't have to give up a 1st.

If you are pretending to be Demps in this thread, you either ride it out and hope for a miracle with Gordon or you trade him and take back shorter bad contracts in return. No third option as I see it

This deal applies here to, i know i posted it in the Reclamation Projects thread.

Eric Gordon for Tyreke Evans and Marcus Thornton. Evans starts at SF, giving you another ball handler to take pressure off your back court if the play breaks down.

Since he is technically a guard he gives you the ability to defend bigger guards depending on who you're playing if need be. Aminu strengthens the bench. Thornton adds punch to Anderson's efforts off the bench as a Crawford/Harden(Thunder) type.

1st round pick for Brandon Jennings, add filler and/or take back a contract to make it work.

Pick up Hassan Whiteside to add debt to you front court, now would be a great time with injury to AD. You add a young extremely athletic rebounder and shot blocker to develop.

Jennings/Vasquez/Rivers/Roberts(if not a filler)
    Rivers/Thornton/Mason(if not a filler)Miller
    Evans/Aminu/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Smith
    Lopez/Smith/Hassan Whiteside

None of these guys will do anything to ruin your youth movement because their all still young and developing and in need of being coached up.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    This deal applies here to, i know i posted it in the Reclamation Projects thread.

Eric Gordon for Tyreke Evans and Marcus Thornton. Evans starts at SF, giving you another ball handler to take pressure off your back court if the play breaks down.

Since he is technically a guard he gives you the ability to defend bigger guards depending on who you're playing if need be. Aminu strengthens the bench. Thornton adds punch to Anderson's efforts off the bench as a Crawford/Harden(Thunder) type.

1st round pick for Brandon Jennings, add filler and/or take back a contract to make it work.

Pick up Hassan Whiteside to add debt to you front court, now would be a great time with injury to AD. You add a young extremely athletic rebounder and shot blocker to develop.

Jennings/Vasquez/Rivers/Roberts(if not a filler)
    Rivers/Thornton/Mason(if not a filler)Miller
    Evans/Aminu/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Smith
    Lopez/Smith/Hassan Whiteside

None of these guys will do anything to ruin your youth movement because their all still young and developing and in need of being coached up.
    I personally don't really like this plan.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    It's really not talked about as much as it should considering how much it is killing us. But we need a PG that can play defense. Our exterior defense is atrocious. I LOVE Vasquez and everything he does, but he is too slow, and we get killed both on penetration, and on our defensive rotations. That's why we give up so many three's. We just do not have the outside speed. Give me a PG that can stay in front of someone and our defense looks so much better. Not to mention Gordon coming back and his quickness and experience.

At all costs, find an athletic PG. I am fine keeping Greivas as a backup or getting value for him.

Thread Information