Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Missing Piece: Reclamation Projects

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Cousins... totally dominating the game tonight vs Utah. Just got ejected... The guy definitely needs a change of scenery. I think our locker room is great for him, and Monty won't put up with his BS. The Kings have got to be frustrated with him right now... Strike while the iron is hot!
    It was a BS ejection... he didn't deserve it. I think the refs don't like him honestly
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Cousins will be in Sacramento, or wherever they play, past his next contract. They already fired a coach for him, they arn't scared to pay him.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Cousins will be in Sacramento, or wherever they play, past his next contract. They already fired a coach for him, they arn't scared to pay him.
    you are probably right, but I would be willing to give him a shot here....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

The Missing Piece: Reclamation Projects

I would stay away from Cousins. His issues are psychological. Until he gets those addressed, no one else will get through to him.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    you are probably right, but I would be willing to give him a shot here....
    Most definitely, I'm just injecting some realism

We have one of the best young front court rotations in the league. Our back court loses games for us. Why spend a lot of money on Cousins when we need to invest in our back court?

How about Brandon Rush as a "reclamation project"? Tore his ACL at the beginning of the year and has a player option for $4 mil next season. He is a career 41.3% 3 point shooter and is known as a great defender at his position. Think Aminu with less athleticism, but you don't hold your breath every time he shoots or puts the ball on the floor. We could give him the MLE ($5 mil/year). That may be enough to get him to decline his player option. The market should be low for him with the ACL issue.

Overpay for Brandon Jennings and you've got:

Jennings/Vasquez/Roberts
    Gordon/Rivers/Mason
    Rush/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Thomas
    Lopez/Smith

Plus our first round pick.

Can anyone refresh my memory on Gordon and his ability to veto trades. How long can he do that for in this first year?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I don't know why people want to bring Cousins and JR Smith over here. Both are incredibly immature players. They both would ruin the chemistry the team has. Dell and Monty said they want to bring in guys with CHARACTER. Smith and Cousins lack in that category.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Thread's going good. No one has used my berserk button word (not the T one).

If JR Smith or Cousins are gettable I'd make that move.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I don't know why people want to bring Cousins and JR Smith over here. Both are incredibly immature players. They both would ruin the chemistry the team has. Dell and Monty said they want to bring in guys with CHARACTER. Smith and Cousins lack in that category.
    But that is the whole point of the piece. Sometimes guys who are poor character guys finally mature after a change of scenery and the teams are rewarded for taking that chance. If Monty and Dell are such strong motivators, perhaps they can get through to an Evans or a Cousins, etc.

Not many ways to add elite talent and even fewer to add them for cheap. Sometimes you have to take a chance. If a player like Cousins had no baggage, we would never have a shot at him. I am not advocating for any of these guys per se, but a good GM has to at least consider it. I mean, this GM gambled that a guy who always gets injured will get healthy. How is that different than gambling that a guy who gets in trouble will clean up his act. Both are equally likely IMO
    @mcnamara247

Not to mention that one has more to do with choices. Which can be influenced. A change of scenery could do wonders for Cousins. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Cousins is from Mobile. Which is a 2 hour and a half drive away.

What kinds of homeboys does he have from Mobile? Being close to family is fine but if he has bad influencing homeboys he don't need to be near them.

Don't matter. His mama don't look like she play that.

Is his mama moving to New Orleans with him?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I don't think JR Smith is a bad character guy, just a fool.

He and Cousins are very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Thread's going good. No one has used my berserk button word (not the T one).

If JR Smith or Cousins are gettable I'd make that move.
    Basketball I.Q.?

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Is his mama moving to New Orleans with him?
    mama's pretty tall.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Basketball I.Q.?
    Never a fan of that one, but, now that's definitely not it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    We have one of the best young front court rotations in the league. Our back court loses games for us. Why spend a lot of money on Cousins when we need to invest in our back court?

How about Brandon Rush as a "reclamation project"? Tore his ACL at the beginning of the year and has a player option for $4 mil next season. He is a career 41.3% 3 point shooter and is known as a great defender at his position. Think Aminu with less athleticism, but you don't hold your breath every time he shoots or puts the ball on the floor. We could give him the MLE ($5 mil/year). That may be enough to get him to decline his player option. The market should be low for him with the ACL issue.

Overpay for Brandon Jennings and you've got:

Jennings/Vasquez/Roberts
    Gordon/Rivers/Mason
    Rush/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Thomas
    Lopez/Smith

Plus our first round pick.
    Jennings would be a perfect fit ! I cant believe WHAT the Bucks are paying him ! Its like a blue-light special at K-Mart ! AND, if you want a JR Smith without the Punk Gene >> Grab Marcus Thornton

Eric Gordon for Tyreke Evans and Marcus Thornton. Evans plays SF, Aminu strengthens the bench. Thornton adds punch to Anderson's efforts off the bench as a Crawford/Harden(Thunder) type.

1st round pick for Brandon Jennings, add filler and/or take back a contract to make it work.

Jennings/Vasquez/Rivers/Roberts(if not a filler)
    Rivers/Thornton/Mason(if not a filler)Miller
    Evans/Aminu/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Smith
    Lopez/Smith/Hassan Whiteside

The Franchise
    I like Cousins, definately an upgrade but I'd hate to give up too much to get him. Lopez is a nice spot starter but I hate watching a 7 footer get out jumped and Cousins gives you more offense as well.

Rush would be awesome but I think he'll be cheap at the end of year since hell still be rehabbing.

Rivers/Vasquez
    Gordon/Rivers/Mason/Rush
    1st round pick/Aminu/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Thomas
    Lopez/Smith

I think a first round pick of either PG or SF, and if Gordon doesn't want to play for us, ship him to the highest bidder. If he plays this year, we should be able to get 2 first round picks. Even if its a first this year and one later its better than him not playing here. Don't misunderstand that I want him to leave. I want him to be a cornerstone of our franchise along with Davis but if he doesn't want to be here or can't stay healthy lets move on.

Cousins is also a great rebounder. He knows how to use that big body.

Pause.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Pause.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Jennings would be a perfect fit ! I cant believe WHAT the Bucks are paying him ! Its like a blue-light special at K-Mart ! AND, if you want a JR Smith without the Punk Gene >> Grab Marcus Thornton
    Just got done with all that ridiculous/bad contract crap and I don't want it back, and that's exactly what Thornton is.

Thread Information