Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Anderson was a steal of a signing.

Ryan Anderson was a steal of a signing.

8.5mil front loaded contract, guy can get 10 boards a game, is lethal outside, has some ok-ish post moves. Absolute steal for us.

Oh yes definitely a steal by any means
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

definitely steal..seems like a hard worker too...my dad was telling me if he can develop a pull up game(since he always drives straight to the basket and nothing in between) and can work a little on creating for himself then he can really be like dirk...and i completely agree, not as good as dirk...but close

Imagine if we had an offense that could get him open looks consistently. If Davis get's stronger (he will), they could make up the best young frontcourt in the league and play minutes together consistently.

I still think he's most useful coming off the bench, then playing starter minutes from there. Really interested to see this team fully healthy.

Other than his awesome playing skills is his youth. Dude looks like he's in his 30s, but he's only 24.

I know we're dealing with some tough times right now, but the combination of youthand talent we have on this team is astounding. It's a testament to the FO and Monty doing a good Jon coaching them.

Hard to watch right now sometimes, sucks being on a 6 game losing streak, but this nucleus makes it so easy to keep the faith.

his contract is front loaded??? does any 1 have the contract details?

Aside from Gordon, Demps worked magic this offseason. Makes me excited to think about what he can do with a lot of cap space next year.

His Ariza/Okafor for Lewis/Miller move was a straight up robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by BLT23 View Post
    his contract is front loaded??? does any 1 have the contract details?
    2012 8,700,000
    2013 8,308,500
    2014 8,491,500
    2015 8,500,000

He is top 30 and I don't care what anyone says.

He is almost as deadly as Peja in his prime, and Peja in his prime was a near MVP candidate. A guy that can stroke it like Anderson, and play a bit of def. is nice.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    He is top 30 and I don't care what anyone says.

He is almost as deadly as Peja in his prime, and Peja in his prime was a near MVP candidate. A guy that can stroke it like Anderson, and play a bit of def. is nice.
    Would you mind sharing your top 30 players? Just curious.

Things I like about Ryan Anderson I didn't expect:
    1. His defense is sneaky good. He's pesky. Guys like to get him in iso, but he contests really well without fouling. He tries to take too many charges and gets in foul trouble as a result of that, but I'm happy with his man defense, especially on centers.
    2. He can put it on the floor and drive if his man over-commits on the close out.
    3. He doesn't really have a post game per se, but he's crafty around the rim and if he gets the ball there, he's going to figure out a way to out it off the glass.
    4. His height and quick release means he's able to get 3s off and hit a decent clip even if the defense is good. That's important, because at the moment he's forced to be offensive option number 1 and the looks aren't neccessarily open.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Would you mind sharing your top 30 players? Just curious.
    Sure later today, just remind me.

In the meantime, who's on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Sure later today, just remind me.

In the meantime, who's on yours?
    I don't think he's top 30 but I do think Ryno is a good player. When you say top 30 that means if there were 30 owners with 1 pick each, you'd choose Ryno. I wouldn't personally. I'll give you my list when I get to a computer.

Maybe later I'll compile a list of 30 players I think are better than Anderson. I think he's great, but not top 30. But for this team on his contract? You're damn right it's a steal.

it is tough to judge...in a vacuum i think i might consider rudy gay a better player than anderson in a vacuum since he can create his own shot at the end of games...anderson is a better 3rd option than gay on a team but not a better first option on a team if that makes sense...if we had davis and gordon, then anderson is perfect for this team

Well Hollingers Per has him rated 25. So I think saying he is top 30 isn't too far off base. Sure people might see names and think "oh so and so is better." But thats just due to name, and cache it brings. Anderson is a quiet top flight player. He is David West. Everybody knew he was underrated, and he kept doing his job, while we here at home knew him as a top 4 at his craft. As is Anderson. Undervalued.

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    it is tough to judge...in a vacuum i think i might consider rudy gay a better player than anderson in a vacuum since he can create his own shot at the end of games...anderson is a better 3rd option than gay on a team but not a better first option on a team if that makes sense...if we had davis and gordon, then anderson is perfect for this team
    Bottom line is Rudy Gay is being paid almost twice what Ryno is and is nowhere close to as efficient in putting up numbers. Creating your own shot is great, but many of the shots he creates are deep twos he hits inefficiently. Nearly all of Ryan's shots are at the rim, where he converts a high percentage, and behind the three point line, where he converts a high percentage. In addition, he's a terrific offensive rebounder and converts on those. The possessions Rudy Gay consumes will be below average in productivity, the possessions Ryan consumes will be the best possessions your team will have. As a third option, give me Anderson every time. As a first option, I think you're screwed either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    Bottom line is Rudy Gay is being paid almost twice what Ryno is and is nowhere close to as efficient in putting up numbers. Creating your own shot is great, but many of the shots he creates are deep twos he hits inefficiently. Nearly all of Ryan's shots are at the rim, where he converts a high percentage, and behind the three point line, where he converts a high percentage. In addition, he's a terrific offensive rebounder and converts on those. The possessions Rudy Gay consumes will be below average in productivity, the possessions Ryan consumes will be the best possessions your team will have. As a third option, give me Anderson every time. As a first option, I think you're screwed either way.
    as i said anderson is a better third option by a far margin too imo...and i agree you are probably still screwed wit having gay as a #1 option...but if we are ranking players in a vacuum and not based on how they fit on a team then gay is still a better #1 option then anderson...there is a reason anderson couldnt get the ball in overtime

Anyone who thinks Ryno is better than Rudy Gay is insane. I understand that forum guys and ESPN judge players by metrics but all metrics are subjective. Use the eye test. The game is so much easier for Gay than Ryno. I like Ryno b/c he's a great shooter but at the end of the day he's 1 dimensional. When it's go to time for a bucket and I need the ball in someone's hands, I'd give it to Gay. I'd have Ryno behind the arc waiting for a 3 b/c that's what he's best at. But there is no question about how valuable a player Ryno is to the Hornets.

Ryan Anderson was a steal of a signing.

Gay is overrated. A high volume scorer. Doesn't do anything else well. Isn't a great scorer either. Eye ball test tells me that. He coattails his two big men and Conley.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

My list of guys I rank above Ryno. Not taking salary or potential into the equation. Just ranking them based on who I would want today to try and win a title this year. By position, the guys I would take over Ryno:

PG:

CP3
    Tony Parker
    Rondo
    Westbrook
    Rose
    D-Will
    Kyrie

SG

Kobe
    Harden
    Wade
    Iggy

SF

LBJ
    Durant
    Melo
    Pierce
    Deng

PF

Love
    Duncan
    KG
    Aldridge
    Josh Smith
    Bosh
    Zach Randolph

C

Marc Gasol
    Dwight
    Greg Monroe
    Tyson Chandler

So I have 27 guys ahead of him. I got another 8 or so that are close or could go either way. Of the 26 I have ahead of him, Monroe and Kyrie are on their rookie deals and are getting paid less than him, the other 25 are getting paid more and in some cases, twice as much. Debateable top 30 player in the league. No question top 40, and a salary that makes him one of the top 20 values in the league IMO.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 11-24-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    @mcnamara247

And before anyone asks- No I did not forget anybody. I would personally take Anderson over Blake, Gay, and Ibaka. Those three were the closest for me along with Andy V. and Al Horford

You forgot Dirk for sure... and even then there are a lot of guys better than Anderson not shown. I'm a huge fan of Ryno but he's the 10-15th best Pf in the NBA, while that is a deep position he has to be the third best player on a team for you to win anything. You could make the playoffs with him as your 2nd option

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    You could make the playoffs with him as your 2nd option
    This was proven this last season.

Thread Information