Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fox Sports Houston: Daily Rockets Update

Clark Kent, Daily Planet,
    Your team is out to an incredible start. Do you feel that things are finally starting to come together? Is this level of play sustainable?

Also, give us your initial thoughts on your 2 high draft picks. Have they met or exceeded expectations?

Now if you will excuse me, I have to save Lois, err ummm I mean get coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Fox Sports Houston: Daily Rockets Update

Pagahahaha about Clark kent.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Bill Plaschke Here from the L.A. times, are you impressed with your teams defensive showing? You don't have many defensive headliners on the team, yet your team is just not surrendering many points per game? Do you expect your team to play better throughout the season or is this one of those stretches where you can't do anything wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Clark Kent, Daily Planet,
    Your team is out to an incredible start. Do you feel that things are finally starting to come together? Is this level of play sustainable?

Also, give us your initial thoughts on your 2 high draft picks. Have they met or exceeded expectations?

Now if you will excuse me, I have to save Lois, err ummm I mean get coffee.
    I think our team has pieces that fit well together. Our bigs defend and rebound, we have strong perimeter scorers, and our bench is producing. We still need to improve our 3 point shooting and try shooting a better overall FG%. I'm not sure if we can remain this hot, but I do think we have a good foundation for a competitive team.

As far as our draft picks, they're producing well. Okafor has really brought a strong defensive presence with his shot blocking and rebounding. He's making a huge impact on the defensive end of the floor which has made us a much better defensive team overall. Plus, he's been steady on the offensive end as well with his high FG% and solid FT%.

Jefferson is providing a strong scoring punch off the bench. He's averaging 8/6 in 15 min. He could easily start, but we feel he's a better fit off the bench since he can open up the floor for our shooter like Miller, Wally Z, Voshon, and Speedy. He's only going to get better.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Bill Plaschke Here from the L.A. times, are you impressed with your teams defensive showing? You don't have many defensive headliners on the team, yet your team is just not surrendering many points per game? Do you expect your team to play better throughout the season or is this one of those stretches where you can't do anything wrong?
    I'm surprised how well we are playing defensively. I expected improvement but didn't see this level of intensity from our team. It really starts with Emeka. He provides a strong foundation in the paint with his rotations and shot blocking. He's really the anchor of our defense. I have to give credit to everyone else as well. Etan has always been a solid defender, but he trained hard to improve his rebounding and it has showed. Plus, he's blocking shots too. Melo improved his defense in training camp. Manu is top 5 in steals and has always been a strong defender as well as Damon. I'm not sure if we can sustain this level, but I do think we can perform defensively with good effort.

I also left out how well our perimeter players are rebounding. Melo, Manu, and Damon all average more than 5 boards a game which really helps our defense and allows us to get more fast break buckets.

Rockets Season Update

Record 22-13 (1st in Southwest Division, 2nd in the Western Conference, 6th in the NBA)
    Home: 15-9
    Away: 7-4
    Record vs below .500 teams: 18-3
    Record vs .500 and above: 4-10

Leaders
    Scoring: Carmelo Anthony - 22.8 PPG
    Rebounds: Etan Thomas - 11.5 RPG
    Assists: Damon Stoudamire - 8.0 APG
    Steals: Manu Ginobili - 2.2 SPG (7th in the NBA)
    Blocks: Emeka Okafor - 2.6 BPG (9th in the NBA)
    FG% - Voshon Lenard - 51.2%
    FT% - Carmelo Anthony - 83.1%
    3PT% - Damon Stoudamire - 41.5%

http://www.hrfbb.net63.net/rosters/roster18.htm#ystats

Team Stats:
    PPG - 103.2 (3rd)
    RPG - 53.5 (3rd)
    APG - 22.3 (24th)
    SPG - 9.6 (T-3rd)
    BPG - 6.5 (8th)
    TPG - 13.5 (T-15th)
    FG% - 44.5% (T-16th)
    FTPG - 18.3 (15th)
    FTAPG - 25.1 (T-17th)
    FT% - 73.0% (9th)
    3PPG - 5.6 (10th)
    3P% - 37.2% (16th)
    oPPG - 97.5 (9th)
    oRPG - 52.5 (23rd)
    oAPG - 23.1 (11th)
    oSPG - 8.6 (17th)
    oBPG - 5.1 (T-8th)
    oTOPG - 15.5 (2nd)
    oFG% - 43.5% (7th)
    oFTPG - 17.5 (7th)
    oFTAPG - 24.2 (6th)
    oFT% - 72.2% (19th)
    o3PPG - 4.4% (11th)
    o3PAPG - 12.0 (14th)
    o3P% - 36.4% (12th)

Upcoming games

Day 51 - vs Jazz (14-18, 5-8 on the road)
    Day 53 at Heat (18-24, 15-7 at home)
    Day 56 vs Blazers (13-18, 3-12 on the road)
    Day 58 at Lakers (16-15, 9-7 at home)

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    I'm a big surprised, but nice start man! Your young squad is coming together quickly.

Fox Sports Houston: Daily Rockets Update

Quote Originally Posted by ohnosono View Post
    I'm a big surprised, but nice start man! Your young squad is coming together quickly.
    Thanks man. Hopefully they can keep it up when the schedule gets tougher in the 2nd half.

Rockets Limp into the All-Star Break.

Rockets Lose 3 of 4 Entering the All-Star Break.

The Houston Rockets did not end the first half of the season on a high note. Losing 3 out of 4, the Rockets lost their first place lead in the Southwest division to the Memphis Grizzlies with massive struggles defensively. In the three losses, the team gave up an average of 128 points per game including 136 at Miami in just 4 quarters. Also, the Rockets lost to the Lakers for the 3rd straight time this season 112-91 allowing Allen Iverson to score 32 points. Offensively, Damon Stoudamire had a season high 36 points in a 136-134 loss at Miami. The Rockets shot 57% in that game with Manu Ginobili scoring 29 and Carmelo Anthony adding 26. However, no other Rocket reached double figures. The Rockets also lost 126-103 at home to the Jazz allowing Utah to shoot 57% from the field with 37 assists. The Rockets also had 19 turnovers and were out of the game by halftime. The Rockets did defeat Portland at home 117-96 thanks to 23 points from Stoudamire as well as 22 points and 14 rebounds off the bench from Brad Miller and 20 points, 14 rebounds and 2 blocks from Etan Thomas.

Emeka Okafor Hitting the Rookie Wall

Rookie center Emeka Okafor started off the season strong for the Rockets with his strong play defensively and steady contributions offensively. Throughout the first half of the season, Okafor's presence on defense enabled the Rockets to have a strong start as a Western Conference contender. Averaging a double-double most of the first half, Okafor provided consistent play at the center spot and has been top ten all season in blocks. However, Okafor has recently struggled with poor shooting from the field and foul trouble defensively. Combing his struggles with strong play off the bench from veteran Brad Miller, Okafor's minutes have fallen below 30 per game for the first time all season. Okafor played in only 20 minutes in a blowout loss at the Jazz and fouled out in 29 minutes at Miami. In the blowout win against Portland, Okafor played only 18 minutes due to foul trouble and early turnovers. Okafor bounced back against the Lakers scoring 10 points with 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. However, his field goal percentage and free throw percentage are at a season low. The Rockets hope Okafor can bounce back in the second half to provide steady production in order to compete for the Southwest Division and a playoff spot.

Rockets Season Update at the All-Star Break

Rockets Season Update

Record 23-16 (2nd in Southwest Division, 3rd in the Western Conference, 9th in the NBA)
    Home: 16-10
    Away: 7-6
    Record vs below .500 teams: 18-6
    Record vs .500 and above: 5-10

All-Star: Carmelo Anthony (1st appearance)
    Rookie Game Participant: Emeka Okafor, Carmelo Anthony

Leaders
    Scoring: Carmelo Anthony - 22.3 PPG
    Rebounds: Etan Thomas - 11.5 RPG
    Assists: Damon Stoudamire - 8.0 APG
    Steals: Manu Ginobili - 2.1 SPG (8th in the NBA)
    Blocks: Emeka Okafor - 2.6 BPG (8th in the NBA)
    FG% - Voshon Lenard - 51.5%
    FT% - Carmelo Anthony - 83.9%
    3PT% - Damon Stoudamire - 43.0%

Team Stats:
    PPG - 104.1 (3rd)
    RPG - 53.3 (4th)
    APG - 22.7 (20th)
    SPG - 9.65(2nd)
    BPG - 6.5 (8th)
    TPG - 13.7 (T-16th)
    FG% - 45.1% (T-10th)
    FTPG - 18.2 (14th)
    FTAPG - 24.9 (T-17th)
    FT% - 73.1% (8th)
    3PPG - 5.6 (8th)
    3P% - 37.7% (14th)
    oPPG - 99.6 (19th)
    oRPG - 52.1 (18th)
    oAPG - 23.7 (21st)
    oSPG - 8.7 (16th)
    oBPG - 5.0 (T-6th)
    oTOPG - 15.0 (T-2nd)
    oFG% - 44.2% (9th)
    oFTPG - 17.4 (8th)
    oFTAPG - 24.3 (T-6th)
    oFT% - 71.3% (11th)
    o3PPG - 4.8% (21st)
    o3PAPG - 12.6 (19th)
    o3P% - 37.9% (19th)

Upcoming games

Day 61 at Warriors (23-20, 13-6 at home)
    Day 62 at Grizzlies (26-18, 11-6 at home)
    Day 65 at TWolves (19-20, 14-8 at home)
    Day 68 at Bulls (18-25, 13-9 at home)
    Day 70 vs Heat (21-27, 3-19 on the road)

Rockets Lose 3 of 5 in the Last Two Weeks

The Rockets have struggled again and most of it has come defensively. They're now averaging over 100 points per game and in losses at Memphis and Minnesota, they allowed 120 and 130 respectively. No answers why since they are second in the league in steals and turnovers forced and sixth in blocked shots. They're also 11th in opponents FG%. However, they are in the bottom half of the league in rebounds allowed. These losses are coming at a difficult time where they have fallen to 4th in the West. They are also turning the ball over more frequently averaging 16 per game in the last two weeks. Frustrations are at a season high since the team is 3-6 in the last 4 weeks after a 22-13 start. They team tried to adjust by trapping more which however led to more open three point shots for the opposing teams. After the team's 95-85 loss at home to the Miami Heat, the team is thinking about playing for next season by inserting rookie Al Jefferson to the starting spot over Etan Thomas who despite averaging 12 points, 11 rebounds and 2 blocks is shooting only 38% from the field. Also, the team is interested to give rookie PG Shaun Livingston more playing team and have lessened the offer for backup PG Speedy Claxton. However, the team has no takers right now.

Manu Ginobili out for 34 days for a hernia. Second leading scorer and top ten in the league in steals. Veteran Voshon Lenard will start and rookie 2nd round pick Tim Pickett from Florida State will be activated for the first time all season to become the backup.

Rockets traded PG Speedy Claxton and C Jason Collins to the Nets for their 2007 2nd round pick, SF Rodney Rogers and C Eddie Griffin. Rogers will be the backup SF and is signed for three more seasons. Rookie 1st round pick Shaun Livingston is the backup at PG for now and the forseeable future.

Rockets trade backup SF Wally Szczerbiak to the Raptors for PF Anthony Avent. Szczerbiak became expendable after the trade for Rodney Rogers and this trade will allow the Rockets to avoid the luxury tax after the season. This will allow the Rockets to use the extra cash to train Etan Thomas to maximize his salary.

Rockets Win Four Straight

Rocket Just Half a Game Back from the Top Seed in the West

The Houston Rockets had one of their best weeks of the season winning all four of their games including two on the road. They now are only half a game back in both the Midwest Division and Western Conference. The Rockets averaged 103 points per game and only allowed an average of 90 points per game. Their biggest win was a 107-99 at New York against the Knicks which concluded a season sweep. The team goes on the road for the next 6 games.

Recap

Rockets 110 - Raptors 98

The Rockets led comfortably at home throughout the game thanks to lights out shooting and a balanced attack with six players in double figures. Carmelo Anthony led the team in scoring with a game high 32 points. Overall the team shot 53% from the field and a blistering 57% from beyond the arc. Damon Stoudamire added 15 points and 13 assists. Emeka Okafor scored 10 points with 12 rebounds and 2 blocks while former Raptor Etan Thomas added 12 points and 15 rebounds.

Rockets 103 - Jazz 91

This was the Rockets second win at Utah this season helping the team win the season series 3-1. Anthony scored 22 points on 10-18 shooting with Stoudamire scoring 19 points and dishing out 11 assists. The team shot 49% from the field while holding the Jazz to 42% and 8 points below their season average. Okafor 14 points while rookie Al Jefferson chipped in 10 points and 9 rebounds off the bench. The Jazz led by 3 at halftime but the Rockets outscored the Jazz 62-47 in the second half.

Rockets 107 - Knicks 99

The Rockets concluded a season sweep thanks to 33 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists from Anthony including 5-6 from the beyond the arc. Etan Thomas added 13 points, 16 rebounds, and 3 blocks. The center duo of Okafor and Brad Miller held Yao Ming to 8-23 shooting from the field. The came was close throughout but the Rockets pulled away in the 4th quarter.

Rockets 95 - Bulls 80

The Rockets held superstar Lebron James to 5-18 shooting completing a season sweep. After holding a 58-38 lead at halftime, the Rockets were held to only 8 points in the 3rd quarter. However, they maintained a double-digit lead throughout the second half led by Anthony's 27 points. Stoudamire added 17 points and 7 rebounds and the team created 12 steals. Etan Thomas added 11 points and 9 rebounds while Rodney Rogers added 11 points off the bench. The team continued their 8 game streak of shooting 45% from the field.

Rockets Season Update

Record 43-28 (2nd in Southwest Division, T-3rd in the Western Conference, T-9th in the NBA)
    Home: 24-15
    Away: 19-13
    Record vs below .500 teams: 29-11
    Record vs .500 and above: 14-17

All-Star: Carmelo Anthony (1st appearance)
    Rookie Game Participant: Emeka Okafor, Carmelo Anthony

Leaders
    Scoring: Carmelo Anthony - 23.6 PPG
    Rebounds: Etan Thomas - 10.6 RPG
    Assists: Damon Stoudamire - 8.1 APG
    Steals: Manu Ginobili - 2.2 SPG (6th in the NBA)
    Blocks: Emeka Okafor - 2.6 BPG (7th in the NBA)
    FG% - Al Jefferson - 49%%
    FT% - Carmelo Anthony - 83.9% (10th in the NBA)
    3PT% - Manu Ginobili - 41.5%

Team Stats:
    PPG - 103.2 (4th)
    RPG - 52.5 (T-7th)
    APG - 22.2 (T-21st)
    SPG - 9.4 (T-2nd)
    BPG - 6.3 (9th)
    TPG - 14.1 (T-20th)
    FG% - 45.5% (T-3rd)
    FTPG - 17.9(T-15th)
    FTAPG - 24.5 (T-20th)
    FT% - 72.9% (7th)
    3PPG - 5.3 (11th)
    3P% - 38.8% (9th)
    oPPG - 100.3 (24th)
    oRPG - 52.0 (18th)
    oAPG - 24.0 (T-21st)
    oSPG - 8.4 (11th)
    oBPG - 5.0 (T-7th)
    oTOPG - 14.6 (T-3rd)
    oFG% - 44.6% (13th)
    oFTPG - 17.4 (7th)
    oFTAPG - 24.6 (T-6th)
    oFT% - 70.4 (10th)
    o3PPG - 4.8% (23rd)
    o3PAPG - 12.8 (26th)
    o3P% - 37.5% (T-17th)

Upcoming games

Day 106 at Nets (36-35, 24-12 at home)
    Day 107 at Cavs (36-33, 23-10 at home)
    Day 108 at Blazers (35-38, 25-10 at home)

Thread Information