Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fox Sports Houston: Daily Rockets Update

Fox Sports Houston: Daily Rockets Update

1) Jeff Van Gundy plans to have Carmelo Anthony ahead of Wally Szczerbiak for the starting SF spot going into training camp.

2) Rockets will keep 2nd round pick PF Sofoklis Schortsianitis and have him compete with Drew Gooden for the backup PF spot. Rockets were one of the worst in the league last season in turnovers and like the Greek's ball-handling and passing skills in the post.

3) Rockets offer backup SF Brian Cardinal a contract. Cardinal will decide tomorrow whether to accept. Cardinal only appeared in 3 games for the Rockets last season while being the primary SF backup in the 2001-2002 season.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Rockets will not offer backup PF Cal Bowdler a contract.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    This is a cool idea 78.

via Bleacher Report:

The Rockets had declined a trade request from the Raptors for Drew Gooden. They must be very high on the potential of "The Greek" to even mention him in line with Gooden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

FYI, I don't think the Rockets are on Fox Sports anymore. They are now on Comcast Sports Houston.

But since it's 2003 I'll let it slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    via Bleacher Report:
    Rockets still high on Drew Gooden. Averaged 9 ppg off the bench last season as a rookie and Gooden expects to battle Etan Thomas for the starting job. However, the Rockets likes the Greek's size, strength, and ball-handling skills. However, they note his potential is limited long-term until he improves his conditioning while they expect Gooden to improve even more this season. Will post video of the young Greek shortly.

FYI, I don't think the Rockets are on Fox Sports anymore. They are now on Comcast Sports Houston.

But since it's 2003 I'll let it slide.
    That's why I left it as Fox Sports Houston

Highlights of the young Greek against Team USA and 1st round pick Chris Bosh and prospect Dwight Howard. He helped the Greeks upset the Americans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f_x9obHeOg
    Last edited by Pelicans78; 11-23-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Baby Shaq is HUGE!

Baby Shaq is HUGE!
    Unfortunately a bit too huge. Probably will hurt him long-term, but for a cheap, 2nd round pick at the age of 18, low-risk, high reward. I think his weight is a big reason why he's only a D potential. Gooden is a B potential and hopefully improves. Two seasons ago, Etan was an A potential and he did improve last training camp.

Helped Greek or Greece ?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Helped Greek or Greece ?
    I guess the Greeks or Greece. I changed it to the Greeks.

Today's updates

1) Big Sofolikis will be at Niko Niko's signing autographs and enjoying his favorite Greek meals

2) Rockets only offer SF Brian Cardinal minimun contract to fill final roster spot

3) Rockets not nearly as active as last offseason since so most of the roster spots are signed thru next season

4) Carmelo Anthony will be arriving to the Toyota Center tomorrow for his first press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Today's updates

1) Big Sofolikis will be at Niko Niko's signing autographs and enjoying his favorite Greek meals
    Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that's racist. Why's he gotta be eating Greek?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Question is: Why is a 2nd Round pick getting so much attention? lol

Rockets have signed Brian Cardinal to a one year contract. Team is officially done for the offseason barring any trades.

Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that's racist. Why's he gotta be eating Greek?
    Its his first day in the States and he's going to the best Greek place in Houston. Also there to attract Greek fans to the team. It will be a fun event.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Question is: Why is a 2nd Round pick getting so much attention? lol
    He's the Greek Shaq!!!!!

Rockets done for the offseason. Roster is set 3 deep. Jeff Van Gundy announces no one is guaranteed a starting job until training camp.

Expected Depth Chart

C - Bryant Reeves/Brad Miller, Jason Collins
    PF - Etan Thomas, Sofoklis Schortsianitis/Drew Gooden
    SF - Carmelo Anthony, Wally Szczerbiak, Brian Cardinal
    SG - Manu Ginobili, Voshon Lenard, Maurice Evans
    PG - Damon Stoudamire, Speedy Claxton, Dan Dickau

Carmelo Anthony and Jeff Van Gundy will be holding press conferences today at the new Toyota Center.

Training camp has ended. Depth chart will be announced shortly.

Depth Chart per head coach Jeff Van Gundy

C - Bryant Reeves, Brad Miller, Jason Collins
    PF - Etan Thomas, Sofoklis Schortsianitis, Drew Gooden
    SF - Carmelo Anthony, Wally Szczerbiak, Brian Cardinal
    SG - Manu Ginobili, Voshon Lenard, Maurice Evans
    PG - Damon Stoudamire, Speedy Claxton, Dan Dickau

Jeff Van Gundy talks about Training Camp and the Depth Chart:

Training camp has ended. I've learned alot about this team. I've learned things that I've liked and things I want to see improved upon.

I want to credit Carmelo Anthony and Manu Ginobili for their improvement. We're leaning heavily on these two guys on the offensive end. With both of them scoring, we're going to allow Damon to do what he does best and that is being versatile. Creating, defending, and scoring when needed. We feel he will really benefit not having to do the heavy lifting on the scoring end.

Our front court players need to step up. No one really distinguished themselves in training camp. These guys are gonna have to defend and rebound better. Also avoid making turnovers.

Now to the depth chart.

Center: It was a close battle between Bryant Reeves, Brad Miller, and Jason Collins. Big Country brings post scoring and post defense. Miller brings mid-range shooting and rebounding. In the end, Reeves did enough to win the starting job, but we're happy with having Miller as a back-up. We like our depth here.

Power Forward: Etan Thomas had a strong season almost winning Most Improved player. Drew Gooden has a good rookie season off the bench. In the end, Etan will start. He provides scoring and defense. We're going with Sofoklis as the backup. We feel his post scoring and ball-handling will provide a boost off the bench. We like what Gooden can do with his rebounding and inside scoring, but we want him to work on his defense and ball-handling.

Small Forward: Carmelo Anthony is starter. He provides a go-to scorer and he will be our number one option on offense. He can score inside and outside. Wally Szczerbiak will be the backup. We expect him to lead the 2nd unit offensively with his scoring. We also feel he will get better. Brian Cardinal provides outside shooting, and some defense.

Shooting Guard: Manu Ginobili really improved in camp. He improved his outside and inside scoring and also will be a defensive stopper. He's gonna be the number two option on offense. We feel he is ready for that role. Voshon Lenard brings outside scoring and veteran leadership. Also can play the point if needed.

Point Guard: Damon Stoudamire is the leader on this team. He provides scoring, passing, and defense. We feel with Carmelo and Manu doing the scoring, Damon can focus on his all around game and we feel he will respond in a big way. Speedy Claxton will provide quality minutes as the backup. He can score and create and he's improved his defense alot.

We like our team going forward. We have alot of depth and we're gonna work on improving each day. Thank you.

Carmelo Anthony is out for the next 3-4 weeks with a scratched cornea. The injury occurred in the Rockets last game against the TWolves. Anthony is expected to miss 17 games during that time. Wally Szczerbiak is expected to start with Brian Cardinal moving into the backup role. 2002 1st round pick Maurice Evans is expected to be activated while Anthony is injured. Anthony is averaging 21 ppg this season and is a contender for Rookie of the Year award.

Rocket GM Not Playing for Draft Picks

Despite a disappointing first half of the season, the Rockets GM is not looking forward to the draft at this point. "I just want to start winning some games. This is why we're in this business. The fans expect it, the players, and the ownership. I'm not happy where we are, but I'm not giving up on this season either." The team is on pace to finish worse than last season's 35-47 mark despite keeping the entire roster intact and adding all-world rookie Carmelo Anthony. Anthony along with second year player Manu Ginobili have provided the Rockets with a one-two scoring punch, however, no one else from last season's team has stepped up. The team is among the worst in the league defensively despite hiring defensive minded coach Jeff Van Gundy and has not responded well to the slow pace offense Van Gundy has tried to institute. Also, Anthony is now out for 24 days with a scratched cornea. Still, the Rockets GM is confident the team can turn it around, but is disappointed in how a number of players have regressed, especially the younger talent. "Its disappointing to see guys we expect to step up actually take a step backwards. Hopefully they can turn it around in the 2nd half."

Thread Information