Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Free Agency

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

2003 Free Agency

Free Agency is now open. We will be doing it a bit differently this season.

The first sim, will be a resigning period of sorts. You will only be able to bid on players who finished last season on your roster. This period will start tomorrow, November 23rd, and end on Saturday, November 24th at 10:00 PM CT. Any bids that are sent to me after 10:00 PM will be "thrown out." You can ONLY bid on players that chose not to resign with you initially, meaning if you rejected a contract during the first resigning period then you can not offer that player. I have a list of those guys, so don't try to pull a fast one.

The second sim will be done via pm. You send all bids in a single PM, in this format:

Player name - Number of years - Starting Salary - Percentage Increase
    Bids will be accepted only after I post the results of the first sim, not a second sooner. So again, if you send a bid before I post the first set it will be thrown out. All PM's need to be labeled "Team Name bids." So for example, Make It Rain's messages will be titled "Bulls bids" and Soundwave's would be titled "Raptors bids" and so on. The second sim will be on Tuesday, November 27th.

You will not be allowed to change your bids a number of times during the same sim period, so choose wisely.

Everything is PM.

Just because it wasn't here:

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post

Here is how FA breaks down:

If a player is signing with a new team:

1) The contract can be for up to 6 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 10% of the value of the first year of the contract.

3) The maximum value of the first year of the contract is the smaller of the amount of cap room the team has and the maximum salary the player can receive based up his experience in the league(see table below).

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has 3 or more bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 7 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 12.5% of the value of the first year of the contract

3) The player can receive the larger of the maximum salary based on his experience and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has less than bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 6 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 10% of the value of the first year of the contract.

3) The player can receive the larger of the team's salary cap room(up to the maximum salary) and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

Teams over the salary cap also may offer a player one of their two salary cap exceptions:

1) Mid Exception - one-year offer of $4,500,000

2) Low Exception - one-year offer of $1,200,000

Each exception may only be used once per season.

Bird Years:

Bird years are the number of seasons a player has gone without changing teams via free agency. When a player is traded, he maintains his bird years.

Salary based on experience:

Exp Min Max
    0 $332,817 $10,625,000
    1 $465,850 $10,625,000
    2 $540,850 $10,625,000
    3 $565,850 $10,625,000
    4 $590,850 $10,625,000
    5 $653,350 $10,625,000
    6 $715,850 $10,625,000
    7 $778,350 $12,750,000
    8 $840,850 $12,750,000
    9 $965,850 $12,750,000
    10+ $1,000,000 $14,875,000
    Last edited by LoCo89; 11-23-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

has a decision been made on whether or not we can offer more contracts than we have roster space/cap room?

You can, just don't go crazy with it.

the problem with going over your cap space with your bids is we dont know which free agent gets processed first.

last season I bid on Dale Davis(10m), Elden Campbell(9m), Shawn Bradley(4.5), Antonio Davis(4.5m) I had 15m in cap space. I really like the Davises Campbell and Bradley were just backup. but then Campbell and Bradley were processed first and my bids for the two Davises became illegal. this is how i screwed up my free agency last year. Dale Davis took a 12 mil/3 years contract and Antonio Davis was signed to the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    the problem with going over your cap space with your bids is we dont know which free agent gets processed first.

last season I bid on Dale Davis(10m), Elden Campbell(9m), Shawn Bradley(4.5), Antonio Davis(4.5m) I had 15m in cap space. I really like the Davises Campbell and Bradley were just backup. but then Campbell and Bradley were processed first and my bids for the two Davises became illegal. this is how i screwed up my free agency last year. Dale Davis took a 12 mil/3 years contract and Antonio Davis was signed to the minimum.
    Which is exactly why teams will be hesitant to send out many offers.

Can we know what the highest offers are? That will help alot with who to bid on, if someone immediately offers way more than you would for a player, then you should get to know so you can focus on other players

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    Can we know what the highest offers are? That will help alot with who to bid on, if someone immediately offers way more than you would for a player, then you should get to know so you can focus on other players
    I'll post little nuggets here and there like you would see on twitter, ESPN, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    wouldnt that defeat the purpose of having private bids?

Friendly reminder that all bids need to be in by 10 tonight.

will we get the results tonight?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    will we get the results tonight?
    yes, after 1o.

Can a team that is under the cap by about 3mil offer/use the MLE?

If not, how else can a team get over the cap besides signing their own players?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

You can offer the mle under the cap but you're not getting the best bang for the buck that way. You'd ideally send a 3 mill contract then the 4.5 then offer vet mins, which depending on how many people you have on your team to start can get you well past the tax line.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    How does the MLE and LLE work in the sim? If i wanted to offer both two different players my MLE and LLE how would I structure the contract to submit it?

When will the results be posted?
    HR Sim League Orlando Magic

PG: Luke Ridnour, Delonte West, Greg Minor

SG: Andre Iguodala, Mickael Pietrus

SF: Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Boris Diaw

PF: Charlie Villanueva, Ian Mahinimi, Amir Johnson

C: Eddy Curry, Mamadou Ndiaye, Adam Parada

It says when the second sim will be

Quote Originally Posted by PrepP View Post
    How does the MLE and LLE work in the sim? If i wanted to offer both two different players my MLE and LLE how would I structure the contract to submit it?
    Can someone help me with this? The way I understand it is that if I am over the cap I can offer an MLE and LLE only right? What I am uncertain on is how much and how long are each of those contracts? is it a set amount of years and money or can I decide the amount of years and money up to a certain amount? and can i still offer vet minimums if im over the cap?

Can someone help me with this? The way I understand it is that if I am over the cap I can offer an MLE and LLE only right? What I am uncertain on is how much and how long are each of those contracts? is it a set amount of years and money or can I decide the amount of years and money up to a certain amount? and can i still offer vet minimums if im over the cap?
    1 year for each exception only. Yes, it different than the real NBA. You an offer a MLE and a LLE for the full amounts only (4.5 & 1.2) and yes you can offer vet mins to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    1 year for each exception only. Yes, it different than the real NBA. You an offer a MLE and a LLE for the full amounts only (4.5 & 1.2) and yes you can offer vet mins to everyone else.
    Thanks Ball. Appreciate it. I was unsure on the amounts and the years. Though I thought you could offer multiple years. You can't trade players signed to MLE or LLE right?

Thanks Ball. Appreciate it. I was unsure on the amounts and the years. Though I thought you could offer multiple years. You can't trade players signed to MLE or LLE right?
    Correct

What is the deadline for bids to be in tomorrow?

10 AM

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    If a player didn't accept the offer from a previous sim, will that offer still be on the table for the next? Or do we need to re-post it?

Thread Information